Other urls found in this thread:

coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/99.shtml
fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Form
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>ask questions
About what?

Any anons ever get sesamoiditis? Been dealing with this shit for 9 months. Havent been able to run regularly since.

Where do I start? considering a cut and implementing cardio...
should I buy special running shoes?
At what tempo should I run?
How far?
How long?

what do you guys think about thermal compression shorts?

>where do I start
C25K is a pretty popular program for beginners.
coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
>should I buy special running shoes
I recommend going to your local running store and having them analyze your gait. Usually they'll have you run on a treadmill for a little and suggest shoes based on how you run.
>at what tempo should I run
Comfortable pace. You should be able to converse with someone while running. If you aren't, swallow your pride and slow down.
>how far/how long
See above. Generally distance is more important than pace, but as you run more, you'll want to run faster/longer. Do so very gradually.

Thank you, user

I don't know of a temperature when I would want to run in them. If it's cool to warm out, I'll wear shorts. If it's below freezing, I'll wear thermal tights (I think they're Nike pro?) with shorts over them.

Trying to build mileage. Right now I'm at like 12-15 mpw.

God damn is hard to tell myself to slowwww downnnn.

Goal is sub-30 5k right now.

can someone recommend a good interval based program? I know I should throw sprints into my running, but I have no idea how.

This website has a bunch of training plans. There are versions of this plan for beginners, intermidiate, and advanced runners, so pick whatever describes you best.
coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/99.shtml

Keep going dude. This time last year I could barely run a mile and basically stayed at 1-1.5 before lifting which was retarded. In the past 2 months I started doing the stair(?) elliptical and worked myself up to doing a 5k on the treadmill on a whim in sub 30. I can do 4 miles like it's nothing in about 40 now.

When I started running, I could run over 10 miles, real slow.
I did a learn to run program anyway.

It isn't just your muscles and cardio which need building. You also need to give your joints/connective tissue time to catch up.

Increase less that 10% each week in mileage, and do fartleks and LSD runs.

Had some knee pain after I broke my PR with a 17 mile run on Friday. My body felt beat up, but not too bad. I rested until today when I ran a 5k. I felt fine before my run today but now my knee hurts even worse.

How should I recover? I think my biggest issue was that my form broke down during my PR run and I hurt my knee. Any tips for maintaining good form during long runs?

Is it bad I want to devour her ass?

Ice that shit. No more than 20 minutes at a time, preferably multiple times a day if possible. Also /gently/ stretch out your legs before you ice.

how do i deal with cramps in my abs when running?

also my hips get real fucking tight. is that from my flawed form or something else? rn i just run on a treadmill at night after lifting and i like to walk for a few minutes and then stretch to warmup before i start

Do y'all lift weights to go along with running? Post routines pls

Plantar Fasciits. Anyone have problems with it during their runs? Any easy remedies?

Today I ran for ten minutes non stop for the first time. I also made 2k in 15min, and then 4k in 34 minutes
I know this is ridiculously bad, but for someone with 98kg this makes me very proud, I'm gonna make it

Form drills.
Increased cadence/shorten stride
Identify which kind of knee pain...
Seek l/r imbalances in glute muscles, or just do bridges and leg-raise-bridges on both sides to build.
Build better hammies (DL/etc)

I'm almost done with couch to 5K. I can run for about 25 min continuously at an average 5 mph. How do I get faster while keeping endurance?

Also I think the treadmill is fucking up my ankles? They are sore today.

ive ran a 9:44 two mile, suck my cock

Yeah man. Had drama for about 8 months. Roll your feet on a golf ball, run/roll your Achilles and calf before a workout and ice it afterwards EVERYTIME. Or just rest it for 3-4 months and start over. Both are shit.

That's not a time worthy of having your dicked sucked user. You obv try to take running seriously but your 2 mile time tells me you don't have either a) much talent or b) good work ethic. Cool post through bro.

ran it when I was 16, so maybe for a 16 y/o it deserves a dick such

Mad jelly mang, I run a 13:30 mile and a half. Every day is a new opportunity

running I assume

Running my first marathon in two weeks, any advice I haven't already heard? I'm 18 btw

best shoes brehs?

go for a training run longer than 26.2 miles before you actually run the marathon

>tfw run my first 21k
What's the next step? Running 30k?

I'm told cardio is the best gateway drug into Veeky Forums. Is this true or is it a meme? Will I see gains?

Wat m8? 35km is long enough as a training run for a marathon. You manage that ok you'll manage the extra 7 on the day.

exhale when your foot opposite the side of where the pain is strikes the ground.

Will I be able to recover from sprints on my off day if I'm doing SS and doing Heavy squats/deadlifts the day before and after?

Doc says I have a stress fracture in my foot, it's been hurting for the last two weeks, will I ever run again?

How long will it take me to get back to my running peak? For the past year I've only been running half heatedly twice a week. Obviously my times have suffered quite a bit but I want put more discipline in and get back to my sub 5 min mile. How long should it take? I'm running a high 5/low 6 min mile atm

Sup /run/
beep-tester here. Started at 6, best was 9.1 about 6 weeks ago, need 10.1 minimum. Training for the last 5-6 months has been primarily 3 time weekly HIIT, but after lurking on a couple of these threads everyone is saying build a base, so I'm after a routine that works in longer, easy runs.

For longer-distance context, did an easy 5k today at the park (paved path, mostly flat), probably 8.5-9 minute mile pace and that was fine once I got into the groove (breathing through the nose is not my normal M.O, asthma + permanently huge adenoids)

So, how much to run? How often? My bro who is in the army thinks I'm crazy to drop HIIT for the beep test, but in the groove today felt a lot better than some of the higher paced shorter length runs I've done lately

Or you can try to go faster.
long runs always need so much time, if you run faster AND shorter distances you can complete your workout much faster.

squatting is hurting my cardio gains. is that normal?

Your cardio is hurting your squatting gains*

Running a marathon that young is not really perfect. The peak for marathon is far beyond 30. In your young years it is actually smarter to run shorter and faster. As you become older you will lose a little speed but build up endurance (if you continue training ofc). In the end the endurance is not the critical factor for a fast marathon (

yes lifting kills gainz, in the running threads we all know that

the fuck is pose running?

asics
newton
saucony
higher end adidas
mizuno

I like asics because the fit is slightly wider

I wouldn't drop HIIT completly. You can still do one HIIT per week.

currently jumping rope every day with increasing time to prepare myself for running

>your form is probably lacking
>you think you are awesome because you are 18
>and when you are 18 everything feels awesome
>recovery is insane
>you can get away with biomechanical blashpemy
>that protection will leave you in a few years

I like using thermal/compression shorts to avoid bruises in my inner thighs.

thats what I figured. As a rough ballpark, is 5k every second day too much? Too little? Mould me /run/, I'm on a cut for running gains, if that changes anything

as a former swimmer here who has soft as fuck bones right now from floating in the water for 17 years, how the fuck do i get good at running?

ever since i stopped swimming a few years ago, i've tried to run and only gotten fucking horrible shin splints, as well as dealing with 4 lower body surgeries in the past few years.

salt

>salt

he's not wring, hangovers at 18 are hell of a lot less crippling than hangovers at 28. fucking hell.

5k every second day should not be too much, but you need to recover from HIIT too

Add Brooks to this list.

What sort of things would everyone like to be included if I were to make a sort of sticky/guide for /run/ threads?

I've started doing HIIT last week or so, went 3 or 4 times total.
I'm trying to make a habit of going every rest day.
Currently doing 6 cycles of 30sec run and 1min rest.
I'm dead at the end but I like it.
One thing is that I'd like to make my top speed higher, when I run I dont really go fast, like my legs are heavy (after a while it's almost if, when I go to push with the foot, I'm too tired to straighten the leg and go down a bit more bending at the knee)
Is this due to my weak hamstrings?

>???????
>every half ass can run fast enough to do a but most people they dont have the endurance to do it for more than 1km

Ok so this is a bit of a hail mary pass, I have a fitness test in second week of august and need to be able to run 2.4km (1.5miles) in 13 mins (not hard I know but I literally do not run)
I've been putting off training for way too long and basically started last week. I can run comfortably for 10 minutes and I get 1.5km.
Quickest way for me to improve/is it doable??
I'm off for summer atm so have loads of time to prepare but I need help pls

On Friday I ran 30 minutes at 10kmh. It was aight during the running, however as soon as I stopped I got a pain in my left shin along with a bit of annoyance in my left hip. During the weekend I didn't run at all and both went away, but yesterday I ran again 30mins @10kmh still didn't feel weird during the running but now my left hip is worse. I actually ran about 30mins after I did some really tiring squats. My initial goal was basically to run 30mins @10kmh 5 times a week for fat loss but my body doesn't like that. Should I increase the amount of time running and decrease the speed? I used to do about 45-60mins @ 8kmh and it was much easier, with no pain at all. So I basically went from jogging totally 6-8kms to running 5kms. What's better for fat loss? What's not going to give me pain and allow me to do it about 5 times a week? I run on a treadmill btw so my choices are increasing speed, time or inclination. Anyone worked with inclination before? Is it harder than running faster? Could it be painful possibly? Would maybe running 30mins @8kmh with a lot of incline be the same/better than running 30mins @10kmh?

When do I get better at running?
I used to be in good shape and run decently. It's been 4 years since and I let myself go (gained 90 fucking pounds) and obviously I can't run to save my life. It's frustrating.
I've lost 30lbs but still can't run very well. I don't feel like I'm making progress.

>was fat as fuck
>lost 30 kilos (cardio + counting calories)
>looking good
>stopped running + diet
>recent horrible realization
>most of the weight loss came off legs, still fat up top but not as much
>Legs look alright

Should i go back to running + counting calories or will it just make my legs skinnier

a barefoot meme, tons of yt vids go check them

The lighter you are the better you run. Keep counting calories, eat clean, lift and run every other day.

Slow down. How much do you weigh? How long have you been running and how long have you been running at that speed?

How should you be able to run on one tank of water? I'm finally getting back into running after recovering from a broken foot, but when I go more than five miles I'm flirting with heatstroke. I can't remember how well I dealt with this in previous summers.

Finally made a 10 minute mile yesterday. That may not seem like much to most people, but it's been a personal goal of mine for a while (Im 240 lbs, 20-25% body fat)

Run
Do an eliptical with resistance
Leg press too if you have gym
squat
Youll make it user

A 10 minute mile at 240 lbs is p good keep going senpai

It helps if you hydrate 2-3 days in advance. Keep a water bottle with you and just sip throughout the day, it will really help.

Congrats bro.

SS's focus is on adding weight to your squat and deadlift. Sprinting on off days will just fatigue you more and make it difficult to add 5 pounds every workout. If you have the time, do a tabata or something after your SS workout, and then do light cardio on your off days.

I usually wear at school if we have to do an ab work out but at home it's either boxers or freeballing. Compression shorts make me want to shit lol

>
>How much do you weigh?
72 kg 178 cm
> How long have you been running and how long have you been running at that speed?
Second time at 10km, I ran once at 9km for 30m before that and 8km for 1.5 months before

Run earlier, it sucks but makes it so much easier.

You can also run later if getting up early doesn't appeal to you. I do all my major runs in the evening and usually finish well after the sun has gone down. The difference in effort is huge--while I'm struggling to run 7:30 miles in the afternoon for just an easy 30 minute jog at night I can run 6 mile tempos at around 6m/m easily, without about as much effort as what a recovery run during the afternoon feels like. Imo any run that's hotter than 75 degrees just isn't a good idea, unless you're doing a workout on the track so that you can pour water on yourself pretty consistently during recovery periods hot runs will just burn you out.

Going to a podiatrist tomorrow, I think I have plantar fasciitis. Getting into running pulled me out of a major rut, and I'm worried it will literally kill me if I can't get back into it.

Wish me luck :(

I'm the guy who asked (not OP). Reduce your speed and make sure your cadence is on point. fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Form

Sounds like you could also stand to continue losing a bit of weight. Once I dropped to 65kg (was roughly your weight before) a lot of stuff went away. Sounds like maybe your hip abductors/adductors need some strength. You maybe also overdoing it, try running every other day. Don't be afraid to slow down/reduce distance to avoid pain especially in problem areas like hips and knees. It's not worth the injury. Try a few different approaches, for example, slowing down, or improving cadence and form and see what helps. Doing core strength exercises and pistol squats will definitely help but be careful not to overdo anything.

Keep it going family. You're finna make it.

Would doing Stronglifts 5x5 with a couple modifications be a good routine to go with running? I'm thinking:
-only twice a week instead of three times
-hold off on doing max weight

Why slow down. How u gonna go fast if you just go slow?

Most people do.
For a beginner you want to hit 1/2/3/4 pretty quick and be able to run 10k in about 45 minutes or your're doing something wrong

Runs at conversational pace are for building base endurance. It also gives your body a chance to adapt to running, lowering the risk of injury.

Because the most important adaptations come from lots of easy aerobic running. It takes years to build up the mileage base to become a high level runner, but only a few months each season to do the faster workouts that will sharpen for racing success. John Kellogg (really successful coach at Cornell) claimed that the ideal marathon runner would only do aerobic base building runs from 14-24 before they even thought about getting ready for races.

>LSD runs
What are those? How do they help?

If your ankles hurt, grab a bucket of ice water and submerge your feet in it for like half an hour. Then take a break for a couple days. This has worked miracles for me.

just a longer run than usual at an easy/normal pace

is there a beginner program for sprinting?
or what should I do to get faster

I'm doing 5 sprints of 35 secs with long breaks inbetween and I don't feel it's doing much.

>long breaks in between

Cut those breaks down. Do 30 second sprints with 1 minute rest in between, or 1 minute sprints with 2 minute rest. Or mix em up in your runs.

Is it true above 40 minutes you start only burning muscles?
I can do 30 minutes run no problem, was considering going for 1h, but if that's th case I don't think I'll do it

Doing static cycling will preserve my endurance gainz for the winter or do i need to stop being a pussy and go run?

It depends. Everyone has a certain distance where their body switches over from burning calories from the contents of the stomach to essentially eating itself. This distance can be increased with training. For me at least, I feel really weak for a mile or so when it happens (which is when my body is switching fuel), and then I start to feel normal again.

It's certainly better than doing nothing, but going out to run will be better for you. It will keep your joints stronger, and keep your running form better.

How the fuck do you use the plans when joining them doesn't give them to you?

cramps like that can be dealt with by breathing a lot deeper

tight hips suggest poor form. try being vertical and bend your knees a bit more

Do leg raises or any other hip flexor exercise, I used to do assisted sit ups every time I ran and now my hip flexors never feel bad

>Cut those breaks down. Do 30 second sprints with 1 minute rest in between, or 1 minute sprints with 2 minute rest. Or mix em up in your runs.
That's not sprint training then, that's VO2 max training--more fit for a middle distance runner than a sprinter.

First of all you need to lift lots and in addition stretch lots. Are you aiming at short sprints (60/100/maybe 200) or long (200/400)?

There's way more in this thread than I could ever help you with, take a look at it. Lots and lots of good advice in here
>letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

Nothing is quite as good at aerobic training as running, although xc skiing might come close. You should run desu, the ideal temp for humans running is like 40-50 degrees anyways. Even in Minnesota we run outside all winter long.

If your intention is to get any good at running then don't bother with this limiting your runs crap. Your body does not eat itself alive. If you go to any college track meet you'll find runners in every distance from the 800 up running in excess of 60 mpw who are pretty swole. Do you honestly think that all of a sudden after 40 minutes running becomes just self-cannibalism? Just eat more and you'll be fine.

>tfw started running at 24
>tfw im not gonna make it

>45 minute 10k
>beginner
Keep dickwaving

desu if you're not running a sub 2:10 marathon you're a hobby jogger, I'm sorry user