Have you ever tried a keto diet? How well did it work/how much did you lose? What did you eat?

Have you ever tried a keto diet? How well did it work/how much did you lose? What did you eat?

Looking for pointers, trying to use this to cut

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Rosedale-Diet-Ron-M-D/dp/006056573X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1468896831&sr=1-1&keywords=dr. ron rosedale
amazon.com/Fitness-Confidential-Vinnie-Tortorich/dp/1939337925/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1468896785&sr=1-1&keywords=vinnie tortorich
thebairs.net/product-category/ketochow/
keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
paleoleap.com/paleo-guide-to-ketosis/
reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I felt slightly sick at first but that was due to me being an idiot and not incorporatIng the veggies to my meals.
I started making some quality salads and shit like that, so I got my system going again. down to 157lbs from 167 when I started a month ago, looking leaner and maintaining muscle

>Decide to cut after a full year of fucking around and eating like a pig.
>Zyzz preached it so it must be legit rite?
>Couldn't go more than 3 weeks on it.
>Lost probly 10 lbs which was mostly water weight due to glycogen depletion

Was hell on earth tbqhfam.

Like fuck that shit. I can't go more than a few days without oats, fruit or pasta.

does it suck? Yes. Does it work? Yes.

I think Keto is kind of extreme and potentially dangerous.

It really depends on the individual in terms of your body type and activity levels, but generally I think it's way safer to go with the Paleolithic diet instead, which by the way is very close to the Keto diet.

Your carbohydrates can come from white rice, yams, fruits, honey, and maple syrup. Raw milk is also awesome in terms of fat and carbs.

I've done both keto and garden variety calorie counting.

For losing weight, they both work equally well. Contrary to popular belief, keto does NOT violate CICO, but it DOES help manage your cravings better IMO. The tradeoff is that it does lower your intensity in the gym.

The other benefit of keto is that it's basically "rehab" for your sugar addiction. Yes, sugar addiction is a real thing, and if you're fat, you have it. Google "sugar addiction".

I try to stick to a low carb, high protein diet. Not strictly keto, but naturally I may go a few days without many carbs (There's always a little bit in vegetables) and enter a state of ketosis for a day. Personally I think being in a state of ketosis for a long period of time is unnecessary. I think the diet can be extreme but from people I know who have done it, it works, especially for reasons pointed out.

amazon.com/Rosedale-Diet-Ron-M-D/dp/006056573X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1468896831&sr=1-1&keywords=dr. ron rosedale

amazon.com/Fitness-Confidential-Vinnie-Tortorich/dp/1939337925/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1468896785&sr=1-1&keywords=vinnie tortorich

It made me smell like cat piss, apparently this is normal

Let's remember that you need to eat fats on a low carb diet. If you cut carbs but don't add fats, you're gonna feel bad.

Dangerous? People always say that but never have the evidence to back it up. I do admit that we still lack long term experiments, but as far as we know ketosis can be safely mantained indefinitely.

It's good to note that low carb is generally high fat, and not high protein, specially for ketosis, as protein causes an insulin response, albeit smaller than carbs.

Went from 315 to 215. (Dropped for a year of school, went back up to 235, back on it again and at 225 a month later)

Yeah, no fruit was a huge blow for me.

With ketosis, its not so much the insulin response (all calories provoke one, although not to the same levels) as the fact that having a lot of protein and not much fat in your diet can result in the body breaking down the protein into glucose and kicking you out of ketosis.

I've been on Keto since the beginning of May and have been on a caloric deficit since mid April. So far I have lost a gross weight of 30lbs. This does not include loss/gain of water weight or muscle mass. I have gained a considerable amount of muscle mass since starting Keto while simultaneously cutting fat. So much so that my jeans fall down without a belt (they used to fit comfortably without a belt), and I can no longer wear certain jackets due to the increase in arm size.

Veeky Forums always gives me shit for this, but half of my keto diet has been 'KetoChow' - a nutritionally complete, keto friendly meal replacement shake.

thebairs.net/product-category/ketochow/

I buy the vitamins and minerals mix and mix it myself with protein powder. I consume one of these post workout (usually breakfast) and one for lunch. Dinner is almost always hard food consisting of chicken/steak/fish and salad, followed by an evening snack of cheese, cold cuts, and pickles.

You can google keto friendly recipes, too. My spouse makes a keto friendly chocolate mug cake every once in a while that consists mostly of insoluble fiber and has 4 net carbs. Otherwise I'll eat a handful of black berries.

But really, after the first couple of weeks of being on keto, I stopped craving really sweet things all the time. Now I just like to have soda water with lemon juice for drinks and a few black berries every couple of weeks.

The whole diet thing didn't really suck for me as much as it does for some people because of how I substituted breakfast and lunch with the keto chow, but to each their own. I recommend you buy a weeks worth and give it a shot.

>I have gained a considerable amount of muscle mass since starting Keto while simultaneously cutting fat.
didn't even have to read further than the first line
as always - only DYELs recommend keto

Thanks m80, I needed something like this since my mom needs to go on a keto diet but is so lazy she wont stop eating cookies and cakes. Any flavors you would recommend of the ketochow?

you can get the same effect by actually doing cardio

you mean killing your gains?
yep

Yep. Been keto since February of last year. Lost 63 lbs. and have been hovering with around 10 lbs to go since the new year. keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ was helpful and the very first link on that page goes to the comprehensive reddit keto faq.

High protein diets are a recipe for kidney failure.

It's not high protein. I think that's a myth though.

My macros tend to be around 30% carbs, 30% protein, 40% fats. Personally I still have more balancing and tweaking to do, but that's a ton better than I was a few months ago, getting over half of my calories from carbs and less than 20% protein.

1200kcal, 120g protein, the rest is an even split of fat and carbs, with usually more of the former.

I've been doing that for a month with no hunger issues, should I make any changes?

Is 100g a day low-carb? If yes, I did it for like 3 weeks. Lifts went to shit, tired all the time. As soon as I bumped it back up I quickly got back to the same numbers I had before on my cut. Didn't measure weight consistently back then. Going by eye measurement, it made no fucking difference.

i'd say under 80g i considered low carb

Uhh, no. It's been proven in studies, that having a 30% carb intake compared to a 60% carb intake lowers testosterone levels noticably. On the other hand studies have shown that 1.2g of protein per kg of bodyweight is sufficient for an athlete or bodybuilder to build muscle at an optimal rate and and increase to 1.8 or 2.1g per kg did not increase the lean bodymass in the same time frame, so depending on how much your daily intake is you probably already ate more than enough protein with 20% of your intake coming from proteins. Now fat is a-ok when it's floating around 30%. What's more important here is to get a good balance of different fats and keep saturated fats to a minimum for cardiovascular health.

Two weeks keto here. 5c/30p/65f. Daily limit is 2k cals, but typically getting 1600-1800. Generally no hunger cravings, although every once in awhile I get sugar cravings.

195 lbs July 4th to 182 lbs current, water weight counted for. Had a lot of days sub 1k calories lol

Lifts are fine, progression is slowed, but currently no stalls/strength loss

Food has three categories which give you calories; carbohydrates, fats, and protein.

If you just remove the carbohydrates then you are making things more volatile.

Carbohydrates are quite literally what is making everyone fat and sick (think soda, french fries, candy, donuts).

Doing the opposite, which is to remove them completely isn't the answer.

paleoleap.com/paleo-guide-to-ketosis/

I lost 13 lbs in the first week but it's too hard desu, just doing weight watchers instead.

"The benefits of ketosis are undeniable, but on the other hand, it also has certain risks. For a few people, it’s not even an option – anyone with Pyruvate Carboxylase Deficiency, porphyria, and some other metabolic disorders (especially disorders that prevent the person from metabolizing fat properly) should steer well clear of ketosis. These diseases are rare, though– more common are conditions that don’t rule out the use of a ketogenic diet but do require extra care and attention to make it safe.

Type 1 diabetics, for example, need to be very careful when attempting a ketogenic diet. At first it might seem obvious that Type 1 diabetics should avoid ketosis entirely, for fear of slipping into ketoacidosis instead, but in fact a ketogenic diet can be safe for Type 1 diabetics who are also taking insulin replacement. The triggering factor for ketoacidosis is a lack of insulin, so insulin replacement hormones can make ketosis workable, even if it’s not entirely risk-free. In children with both epilepsy and diabetes, doctors experimenting with a ketogenic diet for epilepsy have had significant success in balancing both conditions: ketosis to eliminate epilepsy symptoms, and insulin replacement to control the production of ketone bodies. But this is still somewhat of an experimental therapy, and there are risks involved that non diabetics don’t have to consider. If you have Type 1 Diabetes and you’re interested in ketosis for any reason, the safest way to proceed is to talk to your doctor first."

"Even for people who aren’t diabetic, a ketogenic diet can have certain drawbacks. Remember that ketosis is metabolically very similar to starvation. If you’re trying to increase your fertility or if you’re currently pregnant, ketosis can actually be counterproductive. Fertility is greatest when the body feels well-nourished (which makes perfect sense: evolutionarily, conceiving a child during a time of food scarcity could be very dangerous), so a very low carbohydrate diet that imitates starvation is not ideal for conception. Similarly, the healthiest nutritional state during pregnancy is being consistently well-nourished; ketosis can be dangerous for both mother and baby.

People who do a lot of high-intensity metabolic conditioning should also avoid ketosis. This kind of activity demands glucose for fuel. Your body can make its own glucose from fat and protein, but not at the rate that you need it for regular sprint workouts or Crossfit metcons. If you regularly try to push yourself through this kind of workout on a low-carb diet, you’ll burn through all your stored muscle glycogen right away, and then see your performance start to decrease. Instead of injuring your body and your metabolism by forcing yourself to keep going, match your carbs to your workouts and enjoy some sweet potato fries or another source of Paleo-friendly starches."

Source: paleoleap.com/paleo-guide-to-ketosis/

The guy who makes the stuff uses Dymatize Elite protein. My favourite flavour was chocolate peanut butter. I recommend staying away from snicker doodle. The flavour I'm currently mixing my vitamins and minerals with is just regular Dymatize whey chocolate.

The funny part is that none of those things you listed are even remotely like their paleolithic ancestors. In people who are otherwise healthy, keto is perfectly fine and can be maintained indefinitely. Good luck finding raw milk unless you live near farms.

Stop parroting bullshit you heard from somebody once, thank god your body isn't as retarded as you are and can adapt to high protein diets with no issues.

quite faggy

What the fuck you did a keto diet without veggies?

So you just ate cheese and meat? No shit you were sick

That's a good sign; husbando here I come

On day 4 right now, pissing 40mg/dl ketones already.

Shit is not that hard to get into ketosis. First 2 days sucked but just push through. Drink a ton of water though, you get dehydrated very easily.

There are scientific studies that show high protein diets are bad for kidneys you fucking moron. My step mom is getting a kidney transplant and both her primary physician and surgeon told her to limit the amount of protein she eats from now until the kidney comes through

Anybody have infographics for keto? I could've sworn I saved one a while back, but I can't find it.

Yes, high protein diets are bad for people who have non-functioning kidneys, no fucking shit. In people with normal, healthy kidneys, a high protein diet is perfectly fine, and your body will adjust itself accordingly. Hence my comment that your body is not as retarded as you apparently are.

>He didn't read the sticky

Don't recall seeing one, but this is the best faq I've seen: reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq