How much can you deadlift with double overhand grip?

Hey Veeky Forums, at what weight did you switched to mixed/hook grip when deadlifting?
I'm now at 5x340lbs and my grip is at it's limit, am I weak?
How much can you lift with double overhand grip?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=pZgxkE-2QAw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

grow up and stop worrying about what others can do. it doesn't matter. you already know you don't have a talent for lifting, so just try to be the best you can be.

Use mixed grip whenever your grip fails

Letting your grip strength limit deadlift progression is stupid misguided ego bs.

You can train your grip strength elsewhere, but you can't get the same benefit as max effort deadlifting anywhere else.

Personally I can deadlift 180kg for anything between 2 and 5 reps double overhand, depending how I'm feeling on the day.

I have always used mixed grip as soon as double overhand starts to slip. And recently started using straps as well as lots of extra grip training. My forearms are bigger and stronger now than ever.

Why not hook?

I'm not comparing myself to others, I'm doing linear progression and trying to figure things out. Asking what other people do is one way to do it.
Thanks, that's what I thought. The grip is not limiting yet, but it will be a problem soon. Is there any advantage of mixed grip over using straps? I'd rather use the straps than risk asymmetry or paranoia about tearing up my bicep.

Hook gripping is great and I do it, but be warned it requires zero grip strength, it's more a mechanical thing than muscles. Do double overhand as much as possible and only hook when you need to.

375 is where double overhand fails for me. I've only gone up to 410 with mixed so far.

HOOK GRIP
O
O
K

G
R
I
P

Because its not worth the pain or the effort. It offers no benefit to grip strength over just using mixed grip.
It's essentially people just trying to be like pic.
Not unless you wanna be like pic.

Not him but i use hook for oly lifts but with anything really heavy and longer lasting like deadlifts it feels like literally my thumb being ripped out

I would be afraid about loosing sensitivity in my thumbs, which I need for my work.

Never switched to mixed grip cause i don't want bicep tears

Enjoy your no gainz for 6+months after surgery

Oh, the one thing it does help with is preventing biceps tears.
But if you aren't concerned with competing then you don't need to use mixed grip or hook grip, Just use straps and train grip with better exercises.

CORRECT

>It offers no benefit to grip strength over just using mixed grip.
That's true, but it has non-grip-strength benefits over mixed grip--specifically, a more symmetrical pull and less risk of a bicep tear. I don't know that this should be enough to sway you in its direction, but the symmetry in particular made a big difference for me. I used to get chronic dull lower back pain when I was pulling heavy that went away when I switched to hook grip, for precisely this reason.

better exercises such as?

Biceps tears are very rare, particularly for natural trainees.

I use straps for my heaviest high effort work anyway, and train my grip a lot more than I used to and my grip strength is doing great.
I'll never use hook grip for deadlifting because its a Leeman-tier meme.

Though desu I can't imagine the deadlift hook grip advocates here actually lift much. I'll never believe someone who claims to DL heavy with hook grip unless they prove it.

Less risk of a bicep tear, but significantly more risk of thumb damage. Its a pick your poison sort of situation however you grip for heavy pulling.

Farmers walks. Static holds with more than your DL max. Gripper training. Plate pinches. Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Lots of pull-ups and climbing around on the gay crossfit frames at my gym.

>fake eyelashes in the gym
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE

Watch this and tell me what 95% have in common

> m.youtube.com/watch?v=pZgxkE-2QAw

Spring grippers, farmers' walks, fat bar work.

I think the symmetry thing is a bigger deal than the biceps tear thing for most people, and I'm not sure I know of anyone who isn't anonymous who had permanent thumb damage from hook gripping. But ymmv.

Permanent thumb damage is, far as I know, very rare and almost unheard of outside of people do mucho volume with it.

Temporary damage is still rare, but more common. Worst one I know of is a guy who basically tore his thumbnail clean out. How the fuck that happened I have no idea.

Steroids?

I only do double overhand.

14x315

I do fat bar work at home, if you know what I mean ;^)

205kg, so 451lb (according to google)

learn hook grip, lady hands

That's just stupid. Maybe your grip strength is supposed to determine the load you can pull up? Why do people like you always use logical fallacies?

355lbs desu

I switch from double overhand to mixed grip at 315lbs

would alternating your under/over hand with mixgrip each rep help reduce the chance of bicep tears?

my double overhand is piss bad for some reason

already at 130kg or something like that I am at my limits

I can lift 130 with double overhand, but it slips. Need mixed grip for 140.

I don't even use hook grip for cleans.

Meme grip. Worthless and all it does it cause pain.

Its not a logical fallacy. It's just common sense.

Your grip will NEVER be as strong as your max deadlift, and if it is, you are doing something wrong, because your forearms are a lot less total muscle mass than the muscles involved in deadlifting a weight to lockout.

Putting unnecessary limits in front of progression that can be safely worked around is nothing but artificial limitation for the sake of ego or some sense of elitism.

Remember I am not advocating ignoring grip training. It is vital to keep on top of it.

just get straps and use them when it gets near your max
dont know hwats wrong with you, you little dick fagets

>he can't grip his max deadlift

what!!

you never heard of supramaximal rack pulls??

millenials. when will they learn.....?

you convinced me.
anything I should know before trying alternate grip for the first time?