High Bar vs Low Bar

Other than being able to move more weight what is good about low bar?

I can squat 500 raw high bar. I havemt maxed at low bar but its probably around 550. Put some knee wraps on me and a low bar squat and im probably at 600. Though im not really interested in wraps.

Tl;dr why would anyone lowbar over high?

Some people feel more comfortable doing low bar.
Some people like moving more weight, maybe for powerlifting or other reasons.

Its slightly less taxing on the knees and, in tradeoff, slightly more taxing on either the hips or lower back depending on how you set up.

Unless you're competing in either PL or OL, that's about all the difference it makes.

My lower back is shit so anything which has a slight benefit I'm hitting

How about just becoming stronger. Moving weight and being strong srent the same thing. If someone squats low bar will they be stronger or weaker than high or can you get the same amount of strength either way

Speaking for myslef, when I started going to the gym I injured my right hip flexor pretty badly because I didn't have the ankle mobility for high bar squats. Think I pulled it or something it even hurt when I just tried to lift my leg. After the pain went away and I was able to use my legs normally again I tried doing squats again and it started hurting when I did high bar. Tried low bar once and never looked back. Now at 200lbs after 2 months working legs and I still don't plan on ever doing high bar again. So essentially, I prefer low bar, because it's the only thing I can do.

They'll be pretty similar with some slight differences depending on what you're using to test strength.

You will get stronger either way just in slightly different areas.
I squat low bar because it feels more natural for me desu and i have a long ass torso that rounds on high bar.

Reasons for low bar :
- can lift more weight
- requires less flexibility
- engages your muscles in a way similar to what deadlifts do, so you get more carry-over between squats and deadlifts
- you can make fun of weak olympic lifters

Reasons for high bar :
- you're neither a powerlifter or an egolifter
- requires more flexibility, so you adapt and become more flexible
- does not engage your muscles in a way too similar to what deadlifts do, so you get a more balanced training
- more carryover with basically every other standing lift
- you can make fun of fat inflexible powerlifters

I want to buy into this but ou sound so bitter i imagine you are biased

there is no point doing lowbar unless you have severe thoracic kyphosis or a neck problem that contraindicates high bar.

they're both fine. i do one month low bar, one month high bar usually. getting a lot more into highbar so might transition over but seriously, it's not a massive deal.

>could squat 135x5 lowbar
>switch to highbar having not done the movement in 18 months
>pushed out 127.5x4

there is carry over between them, but you will be stronger on low obviously.

>- does not engage your muscles in a way too similar to what deadlifts do, so you get a more balanced training
or, you can lowbar + front squat like youre supposed to and get even better balanced training

If my ankle mobility is too shit to atg high bar should I switch to low bar?

i so low bar because ripptits recommends it. he has some videos explaining why

i dont rly know which one is better

High bar feels unnatural and hurts my neck.

Low bar is comfy.

Your preference will depend on your bone structure, shape and size of your muscles etc. I don't think there's a meaningful difference between the two.

Yes.

yes, and work on mobility as an additional component. if you just can't get it, then stay with lowbar.

>I can squat 500 raw high bar. I havemt maxed at low bar but its probably around 550. Put some knee wraps on me and a low bar squat and im probably at 600.
Think you answered your own question there, OP. Although most people can't just throw wraps on and add fifty pounds--it's something of a learning process.

>not doing high bar squats for maximimum booty gains.

Low-bar is shit for glutes, so make sure you're doing front squats or some other glute work along with them.

Yeah I agree. And then add some isolation for quads and hammies, also do some power cleans and SLDL, this will also be balanced.
But my point was that with only these 2 exercises, you get a more balanced leg workout with dl + high bar than dl + low bar.

I was not being bitter at all, tbqh. I started with low bar because SS, then 9 months later I switched to high bar (had to deload), and I found it helped both my deadlifts (less tired after squats) and my squats (I can "feel" my quads more, probably because of a better mind-muscle connection)

Are you completely retarded? Low bar does more for the glutes than high bar.

Complete opposite for me, high bar is comfy af and low bar feels weird and unnatural

Lol, nope. It really doesn't.

My High Bar max is 3pl8 and it feels really heavy mentally.
Did Low Bar for the first time a few weeks ago and squatting felt much lighter. Max is also 30lbs higher

High bar squatter here

Yes, low bar does work your glutes harder you dumb faggot.

Lots of evidence being presented on both sides here, good job lads
>inb4 quoting SS:BBT3
>inb4 Brent Contreras glute emg
>inb4 inb4

Ok

you can go switching from one to another based on your weakest spots.
say you need more quads go for hb; more hamstrings go for lb and so on

this post is fucking based
find a flaw

you don't know how to do them properly so shut your mouth, kid.

This.

>18 months
Pls be kg

Low bar is easier because the weight placement has a more advantageous line of pull being closer to the center of your body. How good you are low bar vs high bar (besides training experience) is determined by your crural index. If you have long femurs with short tibias the difference in weight between your high bar and low bar is going to be higher because the long femurs will cause you to be sitting relatively further back in the high bar position and your body will have to move through a larger ROM at the hip and knee joints. The other major difference between low bar and high bar is that high bar will target your quads more whereas low bar will target your glutes more.

If you don't have the ankle mobility for high bar you CERTAINLY don't have it for low bar. Stick to leg press and manual squats/hack squats while you increase your ankle ROM.

>implying low bar requires more ankle flexibility than high bar
Never give advice again please

I learnt lowbar first and now highbar feels uncomfortable.

ITT: dyels that dont know shit

move along

If your lowbar setup is proper there is minimal ankle ROM

>inb4 b8

once you learn lowbar, you can never go back to that highbar uncomfy garbage

>fat
>knee wraps
>weight belt
>little hip drive

he should get healthy first

good trole user

>looking up while squatting
>knee wraps
>knees go inward on way up
>weight belt
>no hip drive

to be fair that chick in the corner and yellow doing that curl is much more cringeworthy than your unhealthy body and poor form squat

lol shut up nerd
>implying you can squat even a fraction of that

user 1/10 is still a fraction

holy shit you actually are some kind of nerd aren't you
what even are you doing in this board dont you have some porkymen to catch or something

>>looking up while squatting
Nothing wrong with that
>>knee wraps
They're knee SLEEVES, Lenny
>>knees go inward on way up
No they don't
>>weight belt
Again, nothing wrong with that
>>no hip drive
Questionable

>porkymen
it looks like he's already found one

Not the guy your responded too, but why do you wear a belt?

because bracing is cool

low back is so loose it actually wobbles

jesus what the fuck?

You use a belt to have something to brace your core against. Basically helps your core stabilize you, it can add around 40-50 pounds to your squat or deadlift (according to Jesse Norris)

Edge case that most people will not need to expect:

Carryover to strongman movements, especially anything involving some level of loaded carry with some level of thoracic lean. This includes:

- Conan's wheel/zercher yoke carry
- zercher squats
- loading sandbags and stones

In these cases, the forward lean of the torso needs to be maintained; low bar is good to train that. In addition, really thick yoke crossbars sometimes need to be rested on the delts, though most yokes can be carried in a high bar position.

This post is A1