What is better Judo or Bjj...

What is better Judo or Bjj. I need a reason to take stay healthy and physically active and doing martial arts seems to be the ideal hobby to stay motivated. So what is it Veeky Forums take down or grapple? Also I'm half Brazilian but the judo gym is three blocks away from me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oMVI3Huj5jM
youtu.be/SGpDVCkhtD4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

do bjj and muay thai

and if u want to add on, wrestling and boxing

judo is a waste

For something that will actually be useful: Judo

Judo is definitely more functional. Going to the ground is the last thing you want in a real fight, especially if multiple people are involved.

do bjj its in your blood

please don't think of martial arts as functional just do it for funsies (because people have guns and you want to stay away from them)

Try both, see which one you like better.

it probably would be more fictional irl if the move at the very beginning can be pulled off. idk.
youtube.com/watch?v=oMVI3Huj5jM

Judo has the most aggressive offense capabilities from a striking position
Unfortunately martial arts take years to master and you're a neet

Ive been doing judo for a year and i like it very much.
Takedowns and throws are very fun and feel extremely rewarding to do.
If you ever have to fight someone a single throw on concrete will end the fight.

You also cover ground game in judo quite extensively. Obvisouly not as much as bjj.

If it's for the street, Judo with some supplemental striking and defence training

If it's for flexibility, BJJ

Train both, why is this even a debate?
It's like asking, what's better, studying one subject or two?

Honestly if you have the time and money, I'd do both! BJJ is an extension of Judo and picks up where it leaves off.

If you have to just pick one though, I'd probably go with BJJ. I love Judo, but since your goal is to have a reason to stay in shape, BJJ has a greater stamina demand and a more prominent competitive scene. I don't know if you're interested in eventually competing, but I can think of no better motivation than preparing for a tournament.

>judo is more useful than bjj

wat

Judo.

Cheaper, people are generally more chill, more practical and, imo, more fun.

>a more prominent competitive scene
As opposed to the Olympics? You know you literally have to compete to qualify for black belt in judo, right?

This. If you want to learn a martial art to protect yourself, most of the time the people you're protecting yourself from won't know another martial art, and can be taken down easily with a throw. Also, on the off chance they do know BJJ or something, you have ground game as a backup. Judo is one of the rare arts where both standing and ground game are covered properly OP

Oh I do, I just meant that the BJJ tournament scene is a little easier to break into, especially if you're just a casual practitioner. Given the way he was talking, I didn't figure OP had Olympic aspirations, otherwise the decision would have been a no brainer.

Both are excellent. Judo has more stand up work but either is fine. Judo classes tend to be cheaper too. If I were you I'd see about free trials at each and test them and see which you prefer. There's a lot of similarities cause they both come from jujitsu iirc.

How come every time martial arts are brought up people start arguing which ones are more useful in street fights? Can't you enjoy the damn sport for what it is? If you really feel threatened for your life all the time carry a gun or a knife, don't bother studying martial arts for years you dumb fucks.

BJJ is used more often than Judo, it's also seen more often as a fighters variation if they specialized in another fighting style.
If you look at a regular training schedule there is a full five days worth of workouts and sparring for BJJ, Judo generally only trains twice per week (confirmed by google search) the rest of the time you are left to your own devices and what you research you should work out.
Having done BJJ I can tell you it's all you need, a good teacher will tell you exactly what you need to work out and if they don't have the equipment in the gym (mine did) they usually all go to the weight lifting gym at the same time and the trainers help the novices with weight tracking and proper form.
While I was doing BJJ I rarely had to work out or do cardio outside of the facility.

Judo is noteworthily cheaper and i'm not dissing it. It has a lot to bring to the table, but it's nowhere near the lifestyle I feel.

me
>muay thai
>bjj
>kali
>boxing

i've done both & bjj nowadays has like 100x more annoying frail geek nerds than judo these days

Judo is more practical than BJJ. The last thing you want to do in a street fight is go to the ground. Judo is also the base of BJJ. You'll learn plenty of submisisions with Judo and you'll learn how to throw people that weigh 50lbs+ more than you over your shoulder, which is fun as fuck.

t. somebody who's taken both

>How come every time martial arts are brought up people start arguing which ones are more useful in street fights?
Those dumb ignorant bastards shit up every thread to do with martial arts. Occasionally you can get one to see beyond the brick wall of opinions he's built but generally they are a drain with nothing to offer but contentious noise.
>30 yrs martial arts, mostly striking but everything i can learn

>judo gym is three blocks away
then go there.
>half brazilian
judo is much more popular than bjj in brazil fyi.

just pick the better gym

I would go bjj but it's because I live near a Gracie gym

if some judo matser had a gym closer I would go to that one

Judo:
- fight for grip and kuzushi for 30 minutes
- eventually throw
- 30 seconds of hugging a guy hoping he submits
BJJ:
- hug a guy for 30 minutes
- eventually he submits

I personally like judo a lot more. You also learn tumbling and such. However, it's kind of more traumatic.

judo master race

imo stand up grappling is more useful than ground grappling outside of the sport itself

inb4 street fighter kys

This

>judo is more useful in a real fight
How many mma fighters use Judo over bjj again?
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

false
i fought judo fags
if you know how to fall correctly and stand up correctly its not that big a deal.
You will feel it after the fight but not during.
jew jitsu fags will front choke the shit outta you so even as a boxer i have to be careful with them

How about you do this:
Monday and Tuesday: Judo
Wednesday and Thursday: BJJ
Friday: Bo/x/ing
Saturday: Krav Maga meme

Then you get all the benefits amirite??

>mma
>real fight
>not a 1v1 sport on a cushioned mat

judo is almost worthless

if you want to do standup. then do muay thai - they teach clinch; do wrestling, so you can learn practical take downs. judo is so specialized it should just be an add on to other things, hardly a base

HAHAHAHA YOU FUCKING IDIOTS ACTUALLY THINK THIS SHIT WORKS? GOOD LUCK DOING BJJ WHEN YOU'RE ALL 150 LB SKELETON MANLETS. CONFIRMED YOU WOULDN'T HAVE A CHANCE IN A FIGHT AGAINST A NORMAL SIZED MALE.

ya so saturday is a rest day

a better meme is this :

Monday and Tuesday: muay thai/striking/boxing/takedown defense
Wednesday and Thursday: BJJ
Friday: wrestling
Saturday: Yoga with a hot female yoga teacher

>judo is so specialized

what did you mean here?

why do people on Veeky Forums always gotta make activities other than lifting about "practicality" and HUEH YOU CANT WRESTLE IN A FIGHT YOU FAGGOTS!!

its like the functional strength meme

some people do things for fun

>op asks what martial art is better functionally
>???

sweet hip toss. literally is an accessory exercise.

grappling + striking should be base for fight so

bjj and/or wrestling + muay thai and/or boxing

judo is add on for some extra take down ability

>implying anything works against multiple attackers

This video is THE ONLY answer

youtu.be/SGpDVCkhtD4

this

Judo is just wrestling/BJJ mixed together with alittle bit of its own flavor. It really depends on the gym. The gym I'm going to when I start driving has one coach. He's alpha as fuck. Here's his bio:
>"As a Judo competitor, smith has won numerous awards and competed in hundreds of tournaments at the local, national and international level. He is a four-time Jr. Olympic Champion, a Pennsylvania State Champion, a West Virginia State Champion, a three-time Grand Champion and a Gold Medallist in the Keystone State Games. Smith was also a winner in the International Judo Championship and the U.S. National Championship."
So hyped man. Start wrestling in college, I'm going to a wrestling gym twice a week as well. Don't ask where I get the money (:

>Don't ask where I get the money (:

did you get it by wrestling twice a week

Yep, they pay me to come in. I just whore myself honestly. It's not the best kind of work but it's pretty gratifying lol

How do I know which Judo/Bjj/Jiu-Jitsu gyms are good? I don't want to waste my time with a mc dojo.

Judo or greko wrestling for takedowns, bjj for groundgame.. but you still need a standup on top of that, muay thai or kickboxing + boxing for hand skills.

Check competition results. If they do well then they're good