Can we agree that the obesity epidemic is rooted in shitty parenting?

Can we agree that the obesity epidemic is rooted in shitty parenting?

Other urls found in this thread:

nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmsa066082#t=article
tbiomed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1742-4682-10-17
theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/may/29/how-obese-is-the-uk-obesity-rates-compare-other-countries
niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/Pages/overweight-obesity-statistics.aspx
sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/roundup-ready-crops/
youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah, I was fat my entire childhood my mom fed me mcdonalds everyday

it wasnt until I was 15 that I realized how fat I was

Thats the summary of whats wrong with most people.

yeah

there's a ton of papers about how obesity and bad fitness habits are contagious (here's a free one for nonacademic fags)
nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmsa066082#t=article

Most problem a child has are from dumb parents user. That's why some kids managed to get their dick wet and others don't. Most kids on the sports teams lucked out even though their fucking idiots that will never face a real challenge in life.

Sames bro. My step mom knew Fuck all about nutrition so she would always buy prepackaged and frozen bullshit and fast food for us to eat. Wasn't until I was in high school that I started to notice how fucked my diet was. Started weight training in gym class and did my own research on nutrition. Holy Fuck was I wayyyy off

another
tbiomed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1742-4682-10-17

Didn't know I was such a minioriry.

No. The obesity epidemic is rooted in the food industry with GMOs and fast food restaurants.

I was an obese kid and still have weight problems as an adult. My parents tried everything to stop me being a lardass as a kid. Visits to dietitians, watching me like a hawk so I wouldn't snack. My dad and mum would take turns going on bike rides with me to try help me lose weight. They constantly encourage me to eat healthy and try lose weight up until I left.

I just have had problems with food since I was a toddler. Just almost addict like compulsion to binge eat.
Half genetics and half me being a massive piece of shit.
It's not always the parents fault.

>gmo hate
>2016

Lazy/single moms, absolutely.

My mom was lazy as fuck, even though she was stay-at-home & pampered by my dad... we would eat premade food regularly.

I fucking hate that bitch.

i know fat people with amazing [and fit] parents.

Bro you should kill her

too late, moved out

The obesity epidemic is the result of poor people thinking that they can afford to be decadent.

Well yeah the average american male is something like 32% body fat.
Let alone the countless other percentages until you drop down to healthy fat range.
we are fucked and Europe isn't far behind.
If I can find a post on it UK has more morbidly obese people, but less fat people in general.
theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/may/29/how-obese-is-the-uk-obesity-rates-compare-other-countries
found it.
UK is only 4% behind U.S. in overweight-general.
Greece is utterly fucked.

yeah

32% seriously? what the fuck

citation provided
niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/Pages/overweight-obesity-statistics.aspx
2/3s of the population is overweight in general this doesn't mean y'know gross amounts of fat, it could be something like 25-26% (which to me is still extreme).
1/3 of the population is obese or morbidly obese.
the remaining 1/3 is anywhere from 1% body fat to 25% which is still a huge gap in numbers.

If you're at 14% body fat you're one of maybe only a million or so people at that body fat.
In comparison to the 330+ million U.S. citizens.

the same people that claim im an alcoholic for having 6 beers a week.

>food makes people fat
>People don't make people fat

Fuck.

Damn 32%..? Wow. That's fucking crazy. I'm honestly around that probably. I'm 215 but still fat sorta.

The only way to actually know your body fat for certain is to take what is known as a lipid blood test, it's much like a cholesterol test, but you have to fast for I want to say a good day or two before hand and drink a certain amount of water (which is calculated by your bmi).
This will show the doctors trace signals that will let them know pretty accurately what your body fat is and which fats (or sugars being converted to fat) you need to let up on. This is extremely helpful due to the fact your body needs certain fats to operate, but if you're intaking a particularly large amount of a certain medium chain fat (saturated fat) say found only in red meat, well you can cut those portions down a little bit and change nothing else.

Doctors checkups are unbelievably important, if you have health insurance I recommend you get full blood work done yearly.

the same people that claimed I was less healthy than them for smoking a pack a day for 5 years, when I could out run and lift everyone of them.
fucking fatties.

Absolutely,

I was a fucking ogre when I was a child, 90kg 1,60cm when I was a child.

The moment I moved out of my single mother's house I lost all that weight and became normal weight even without working out and just eating healthy, which my mother never allowed me to.

Now the only question is how to get these fucking stretch lines away.

Sure is /pol/ in here

i dont think so. i grew up on domino's pizzas because they were 3 medium pizzas were 15 dollars. i was overweight by 10 or 15 pounds in my early adolescence but at 14 i immediately took my body into my own hands. i began exercising, running, i took as many p.e. classes in school as possible, began weight training after school. and it's not like i had a god metabolism where i could eat whatever and be fine. i'm a 5'5 manlet, so eating 2000 calories a day is 300 calories over my bmr.

i just did some google searches, talked to the school coaches, lurked on bodybuilding forums, and just learned because i had a motivation to change myself.

My single mother and my sister made constant fun of me when I tried to lose weight and exercise. My mother didn't allow me to buy healthy food because "money's tight honey" and "McDonalds is more bang for our buck you know we don't have much" even though I didn't want expensive healthy food just not complete cancerous garbage.

One of the reasons I moved out the day I turned 18, single mothers shouldn't be allowed.

>you can drive a car with your feet if you want to

The navy has that way where they put you in a tub with a scale and since fats buoyant it gets it probably just as well as the blood test. I'll look into the bloodwork, you got a point. I'll probably start donating plasma anyway because why not?

>look ma! I said it again! By claiming that members of a certain board are in this thread I have managed to establish intellectual superiority!

Kek
I've never really seen the reasoning for this. You can go to sams club or Walmart and get a 25 pound bag of rice for like 12.99. Then buy a mix of chicken, steak and vegetables. Just get massive bags of each one. Eggs and toast for breakfast, nobody eats lunch and ass tons of rice, meat and vegetables for dinner. Plenty to go around! Plus, you can buy multivitamins and basically be set. Coffee and other shit aren't needed, so sorry.

Can't decide which is worse. You both are just 2damwitty

>advocates eating breakfast and says coffee isn't necessary

Sipping on coffee throughout the day and eating one meal in the evening is how you be healthy while saving money.

I guess if you get your 2,000 calories all in one meal. 3 eggs+2 pieces of bread is like 400-600 calories. That bait was fucking retarded user, devils advocate.

Yea just that I didn't have any money when I was a child. As I said my mother was poor, I didn't get any money from her and I'm not from the US so it was illegal for an underage to work.

I was literally bound to be fat because of my mother, I had no other option and the moment an option was available I took it - moved out on my 18th birthday.

All breakfast does is make you hungry again a few hours later. It's a waste of money and calories.

My mom and family taught me how to eat wrong. I still love them, but they were pretty backwards.

>epidemic year
>100

People freaking out about how Jesus came back to life a century ago and how 6 x 10 ^ 4 (60000) people are obese

Is she alive? If so it's not too late.

Didn't do anything about it until I was 19 and I found the sticky

If only someone had told me how easy it was to count calories

GMOs are fine you dirty hippy

Public education right here fellas

I basically lived on cereal

Because scientists said so! Scientists are never wrong or corrupted by money!

ABSOLUTELY. Funny how obesity goes hand in hand with lazy retarded motherfuckers. Some are smart enough to make complicated excuses why they can't just work... at anything

no, every single thing that you do and are is 100% completely your choice

all fat people choose to be fat, regardless of the supposed influence of their parents

an individuals problems are created and persisted by themselves, and themselves alone, there is no other factor

the obesity epidemic is not caused by bad parents, but by bad children

choose the right

>children being mentally developed enough to understand nutrition and exercise
>children's nutrition and exercise not being controlled by how their parents raise them

Obesity is like abuse. It's a cyclical pattern. If the parents are obese and feed their kids McDonalds from the time they start crawling, the kid will have ingrained mental habits and preferences that will persist into adulthood. There is a level of personal responsibility, but a lot of it in adults is lingering subconscious behaviours. Children do not have personal autonomy until they are mature, therefore they cannot "choose" to be fat or thin, nor is the obesity epidemic caused by bad children.

good for you. Now go make a family and make sure your kids get a proper treatment by your wife (and yourself...)

I'd say it's a combination of shitty parenting and a lackluster education system because parenting and education are there to balance eachother out but they're both failing on nutrition

>be neet loser
>parents give me money for massive amounts of junk food
>give me money for cigs
>give me money for alcohol even though I was a literal alcoholic who would piss himself in his sleep
here's where it gets interesting
>decide to turn things around
>quit alcohol, replace cigs with vape, join gym, eat clean
>they don't want to give me money for gym
>don't want to give me money for supplements
>don't want to give me money for vaping even though it costs a fraction of what cigs cost
go figure. granted I should be independent at my age but still.

oh by the way they're both obese (as am I).

Lie to them

It's rooted in capitalism.
Companies sell food. They want to sell more and more food to increase their revenue. But the population only grows so fast. So what is the solution? Get everyone to eat more.
They have marketing teams, psychologists and loads of other professionals who specialize in this shit. Get everyone hooked on your food. Make it addictive. Find ways to make people buy it when they normally wouldn't (new recipe! new variety! win something! buy 10 and get x!).

Of course, there are ways to protect you from all that (better parenting, being better informed, having the will to not get fat). But you kind of need to be protected in the first place, which shows that the main issue is not bad parenting or lack of willpower.

These guys who spent 8 years of their life getting a Ph.D are all wrong or corrupted, except the ones who agree with me! The opinion that I defend has nothing to do with my emotions, I used a methodological approached using sources which I know for a fact are reliable and non corrupted!

>I used a methodological approached using sources which I know for a fact are reliable and non corrupted!

haha ebin

>These guys who spent 8 years of their life getting a Ph.D are all wrong or corrupted

Because they're all studying the same thing or actually test each other's results. Get fuckin real pal. Scientists get paid money to say what Megacorp wants them to say.

Don't worry guys with Pokemon Go obesity will be a thing of the past

Maybe in 'murrika, senpai.

Kill yourself you stupid fuck.

Ok, loyal adherent of the religion of science. Where's the nearest church of this new religion?

It's not the GMOs themselves that are bad, it's why we have to have them. Currently corn and soybeans in the US are bred to be resistant to roundup... So people can spray roundup on them
sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/roundup-ready-crops/

Kill yourself.

Holy fucking shit
>wasted a chance of a lifetime

I hate this stupid country
What happened to us? Why did the "greatest generation" fuck up so badly at raising their kids?

>the "I don't know science or history" starter pack
We've been modifying our foods for thousands of years, retard

WITNESSED

Hail Monsanto and their brilliant, non-corrupt science!

Kys commie

>thousands of years
Inb4 muh new world order

I blame republicans

stop trying to blame the fact that you are fat on your parents.

Unless you are 12, you are your own person, capable of making your own decisions about what goes into your body. If your parents insist on buying shit food, get a job (preferably manually intensive) and do your own groceries.

You fat people reek of entitlement. KYS

I remember beign jealous of my friend whose mother was feeding him that shit almost erryday

Show them the twisted logic of their thinking

Worst get ever

kek

F U C K
U
C
K

Here in Ireland there is serious talk that a law will be brought in to punish the parents of overweight/unhealthy kids. They are also in the process of making P.E. (physical education) a compulsory and graded subject which you will need to pass to move on to third level education.

>sister has a child
>feeds her McDonald's almost daily
>lets her have cookies, icecream, candy no matter the time of day
>never goes outside with her
>refuses to pay for dance classes
>Mfw slowly have to watch my 5 year old niece get fat
>Mfw my niece will get bullied her whole life because my sister is a piece of shit parent

At least they moved in with my cousin, who is a health freak. I'm hoping she can get my niece in check before it's too late, and get her away from the path of morbid obesity. I've never wanted to slap someone's shit up so much about eating like crap until my niece was born. The sad part is, my sister thinks that this is somehow okay and normal for a child to be 20 pounds overweight.

fuck, but what is
?

to be fair, supplements are expensive and unnecessary for the most part. creatine + cheap whey is all you need.

Its not your parents fault, or your fault that you are fat

Here is a historical greentext story to soothe your anger:

>for thousands of years people have EATEN FOOD and WORKDED HARD TO LIVE
>The food they ate and also fed to their children was whatever they could get/liked through finding it/ growing it
>Just so happened that all that food was organic and local.
>And life was more active, you really had to do stuff physically
>So they ate good food, worked hard, had sex, raised families, grew old and passed away
>there was no need to acumulate knowledge on what "good food" or "healthy food" or "organic/ Non GMO/ fair trade/ etc" was
>When the corporate food machine started getting smart/ profitable
>the quality of food dropped
>the availability of food skyrocketed. (4 twinkies for a dollar)
>knowledge of what to eat and feed your kids remained the same: eat what you can get/ like.
>only they did not know that what they could get and liked had CHANGED.
>this is like being a boxer and being put against a thai fighter
>their guard is up for what they traditionally looked out for (spoilage/ bad smells/ contamination)
>but they had know Idea, Knowledge, or understanding of the Leg kicks that were to come.
>so the generation never saw it coming
>the game got more complicated and they fell on their faces.
>demanding that your parents "should have known better" is ludicrous.
>YOUR JOB IS TO EDUCATE YOURSELF, FIX YOUR OWN PROBLEMS IF YOU CAN, HELP OTHER FIX THEMSELFS, FIGHT THE MACHINE WITH YOUR DOLLAR VOTE

- former fattie

Lets bring back PE as a serious subject
youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M

He argues that you can't hate gmo because of all the scientific research done on them.
>He doesn't know almost no proper, unbiased research has been done because the gmo producers have actively blocked all legislation and research at every turn.
TL:DR Science shows gmo's are safe despite insufficient scientific research into gmo's.

> but at 14 i immediately took my body into my own hands.
Most guys start that at 12 or 13, what took so long?

Is 2000+ studies all showing the same conclusion insufficient? According to who? You?

Who are you? Why does your opinion on a scientific matter have any weight?

Are you a scientist? Hold a masters? Hold a bachelor? Nigga what the fuck.

Don't ingest sugar or starches and walk everywhere, the lbs will come off take pictures of yourself you'll see.

The nearest uni

Show me 5 done by groups that can't either benefit from or be harmed by the gmo companies out of 2000 5 shouldn't be hard. And that doesn't even address the fact those companies patented the food then actively ran their competition out of business so that they actually own the food even after the farmer has grown it.

> benefit from or be harmed by

What a convenient broad & subjective criteria to be set by you.

It must make arguing easier when you're the arbitrator of what meets or fails to meet a criteria.

Fantastic stuff.

My god that's amazing.

Also, show me some gets

MY mom used to threaten to put me on diets and then I would wine and cry and she would just feed me more junk food.

Because of how we were raised, when my dad was a child ADHD didn't exist.
You acted up and you got the shit beat out of you or grandma smacked you across the face with a wooden ladle.
You instinctively corrected yourself because you didn't want to be hurt anymore.
Somewhere along the way we stopped beating children and we started letting them get away with more and more.
Lack of discipline goes hand in hand with gluttony and sloth.
Granted children shouldn't be beaten half to death, but I'm all for whooping some ass.

I've seen the benefits of it first hand.
My best friend has a child who is now I'll say roughly 8.
The child is outside working all day picking up sticks or mowing the yard, he doesn't ever get to snack on junk food.
He gets 4 eggs for breakfast, a baked potato for lunch, and a home meal every night.
Orange juice or water.
That's it.

Little fucker has a 4 pack at 8, his forearms are huge, he will be a pussy magnet when he is a bit older.

dude I've just been watching you drop these intense truth nuggets in thread after thread.

you are now my favorite trip

disclaimer - I don't beat my kids, but they respect me and listen to every single thing I say. Everywhere they go people say shit like
>wow, so disciplined
or
>I've never seen kids be so calm and quiet, and your kids aren't even playing on a tablet!
or
>omg how do you get your kids to eat veggies? my kids hate veggies teehee

parents these days are legitimately retarded

The obesity epidemic is a direct result of us putting added sugar in every goddamn thing. Without added sugar, you'd actually have to try pretty hard to be fat.

Look at how many guys on here complain about how they can't eat enough to bulk. Now imagine doing the same thing with the added restriction of no sugar, and zero exercise.

No, we can't, because that then raises the question of the shitty parenting epidemic. The shitty parenting epidemic that lead to the obesity epidemic would also manifest in high unemployment among the obese, and while that may be the case for 18-24 year olds, for other equally fat demographics it is not the case. There are plenty of fat people who may have learned bad eating habits but otherwise learned to support themselves.

This so much

Try getting fat on paleo

You'd have to try hard

I just want cheap useful stuff: unflavoured whey, creatine, dextrose, caffeine, multivit, multimineral, fiber. I don't even need the last 3 unless I'm doing PSMF.

Also consider this
>whey is cheaper than chicken breast
>dextrose is much cheaper than bananas
>caffeine is much cheaper than energy drinks

My part time job is a nutritionist, but my niche is how chemical processes hinder or help the body. I actually want to get my phd in chemistry eventually so I can provide my own citations (not on Veeky Forums of course).

I appreciate the support though!

Yeah I've learned a lot babysitting my two nieces and hanging out around with friends who have kids, I honestly don't know If I could do what you do.
Keeping my own discipline in check and studying/working out/having a job takes almost all my time. Let alone taking care of a life form and trying to make it a productive human one day.
Good on you brother.