/run/ - Running General

Previous thread: (Work in progress) pastebin: pastebin.com/dZfxGnEG

Discuss and ask questions about running, form, training, injuries, goals, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/dZfxGnEG
pastebin.com/cSUNJtx8
ergo-log.com/running-just-5-to-10-minutes-a-day-will-lengthen-your-life.html
livestrong.com/article/549765-high-mileage-running-testosterone/
newsweek.com/testosterone-long-distance-runners-linked-hunter-gatherer-success-320704
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Finished the 4th week of that 5K program and got some mires

Feels Good to make progress

Who /runningerryday/ here?

I just got to 40 mpw and I'm feeling fucking great. I'm stopping at 50 mpw with my base for a half marathon in fall though

6 days a week rn. Coming back from an injury so I'm taking it easy for now. Feels conflicted man

Nice trips

Today i ran for 12m30s for the first time without stopping. Hopefully by next week I will be able to run the 2k lap at the local park without stopping
Feels good man

Good work user

5 days a week here. Doing around 70kpw. I've been thinking about going 6 days a week, but that would mean doing laundry more often.

Pastebin is missing the usual "how do i get fast"

Fuck yea brah, i remember when i hit 12, just hit 40 nonstop last week, for a slow as fuck 5k, booyah, you gonna make it
I'm gonna make it
we all gonna make it

5 days/week here. Just finished 2mi in 24mins of steady run. I could barely finish 2mi in 45mins a month earlier. Feels good, hoping to reach 17mins soon.

Did you do c25k or just start jog/walking 2 miles multiple times a week ?

My coach has been making me do tempo runs 1~2x/week and easy runs the rest of the time. I have a PT coming soon though. Dunno how the training will look like after.

The distance, btw, is not always 2mi. I actually don't know how he determines it. Sometimes, he gives me a distance to finish, sometimes it's time-based.

Yep. I've never been good at moderation.

How do you run if your plan is to run well into your old age?

What training elements will protect your ability to run long-term?

I've had pain in the arch of my left foot for a few days now, how can I help this heal?

someone recommend me some good long distance running shoes, preferably

Do you think it's plantar fasciitis? Maybe look into some inserts for your shoes.

There isn't a good answer for this.

Will running make my gains more noticeable? i lift weights and i was looking to get into running on the side maybe 2-3 times a week to shave off excess fat. i am planning to run a 8 km route up in the mountains near where i live. thoughts? help appreciated runbros :^)

It could be, where 2 cop some good inserts? In the mean time is there anything I can do to help it heal?

I guess RICE and take a week or two off from running. I use superfeet orange insoles, I think the color depends on like the support level.

9 runs a week mate

As someone who is kinda out of shape, should I do running+calisthenics or lift ?

why not? are most running shoes the same, or would i have to up my budget to get anything worth it?

>praise roid abusing club manwhore who dies at 20+
>care about health
Hi my Reddit new friend

Got shin splints at the start of the (straya) soccer season, still won't stop hurting even with physio + shoe inserts. Do i just off myself or is there a /fraud/ fix or something?

Running and lifting

Do you guys have off-seasons/pre-seasons or how do you organize your selves?

Summer=12 weeks of building up base mileage, adding strides and sprint drills as time goes on, lifting 2-3x per week

Early Fall: harder workouts, still at peak summer mileage, more strides and drills, lifting 2x per week

Mid Fall: Racing in XC 8ks, mileage drops a bit, workouts are slightly less often but still important, nominally lifting 2x per week but being recovered for races is a higher priority

Late Fall: Peaking for final XC race, mileage drops and workouts get easier

Early Winter (Mid November-December): Like summer in terms of building up mileage but less so, sort of like a shortened summer. Keeping workouts part of the schedule, but doing them with less intensity. Start throwing in plenty of strides and sprint drills. Lifting 3x per week.

January/February: Indoor races start. I do 800/1000/mile and occasional 400s so lots of speed work, mileage lower than what it was during xc season. Emphasis on workouts and racing. Lifting 2-3x per week. Basically doing lots of strides and drills until summer starts.

Not a whole lot of peaking for indoor, but we do spend a week at a lower than normal mileage with easier workouts before final indoor meet, then

Early Spring: Right back into things, mileage a bit higher than mid indoor season. Lifting plenty.

Mid Spring: Racing racing racing (800 1500 and occasional 400), focus really on speed and workouts, mileage is getting low. Lifting sporadic.

Late spring: Final races, lowest mileage of year, peaking as much as possible.

Repeat ad infinitum, this is sort of a typical college runner schedule

does running with orthotics really matter?

Been doing it since the beginning of the year but I heard it's better to run with a flat sole

>pastebin.com/dZfxGnEG
>Ice the area for no longer than 20 minutes at a time

why no 20+?

Proper footwear.
STRETCHING the legs and feet.
Progressive overload if at all.
Recovery days.
A robust diet.

Am I gimping myself by running right after I wake up? I typically eat after running. If I were to have breakfast before a run would it make a substantial difference? I'm pretty new to running and am pretty fat...

Do not cheap on shoes if you want to run longer than a year. It'll hurt and you'll get injured and it'll turn you off to running

What about $60 asics.

Im curious what your guys resting heart rate is, im 19 and according to my fitbit mine is 59 bpm. last time i checked which was 2 weeks ago i had a 8:18 mile, im on 5th week of C25K now.

oy m8. Running erry day can be more than 7 runs.

not being a retard

50 - 150 while running

i bought some nike free 4.0 flyknits (the updated models) which cost like $90 and today after a 4 mile run, i got a bruised index toe nail on my left foot. never happened before. also the last few times ive ran 4 miles ive gotten a blister right inbetween but on the bottom of my big toe and index on my right foot...
should i buy new shoes or whats going on here?

Don't tell me you wash your running gear after every run? Mine last 3 before they start to smell, hang them outside after every run.

Unless you find an older pair on eBay or something, you won't. Even then, getting under 50 is hard.

Most running shoes are definitely not the same. They come in a variety of levels of durability, shock absorption, and the better ones can have anti-pronation ("arch support") built into the midsole.

Probably your shoe is too small. Running shoes should be half to a full size bigger than street/dress shoes, so your feet have room to swell up a bit during running. You should have a full thumbnail from the end of your longest toe to the end of the shoe when standing.

thanks. i think youre right. with socks they fit kind of snug, so i took out the insole. i cant use them without socks or else my foot will slide around way too much due to sweat.
i think my last option before buying new shoes will be to try out some super thin moisture wicking socks

Yeah definitely use socks. Going sockless can also give you hella blisters.

Knee is finally feeling good, now my other leg's achilles tendon is sore. Goddamnit /run/, when do the near-injuries end.

Doing another rest day and then going on some ez distance runs this weekend.

Nice. Keep going lads.

ayyyy, I double on weekdays and take sunday off. I'm at about 50mpw and I've never felt this good tbqh

Hey /run/

going to run a marathon in september. I have no experience with running such a long distance, but I want to give it a try and run a marathon once in a lifetime.

I can run 10k in 43min and do lot of cycling (mostly MTB), including long rides (like 5h). But I never did a run longer then 20km. What time should I aim for in the marathon? What should I focus my training on, regarding that I have 10 weeks left?

Want to hear /run/s opinion

You're intending to train for a marathon in what? Approx. A month and 10 days? Are you a dip or something?
A good marathon training programme lasts 4 months, and a shit one is around 3 months. You should be running around 20miles once each week by this point and You need to be tapering your distances down in the final 2 weeks beforehand.
Ya left it too late ya dumb dumb.

Running after waking up is fine. Just make sure you actually eat something if you're going for a longish (10k+) run.

I actually eat a full breakfast before 30k+ runs, and then a second breakfast after that.

The problem is that I only have 3 running shorts, So I have to do laundry 3 times every 2 weeks, adding an extra running day would mess up my laundry cycle.

RunKeeper is still being idiotic with the GPS issue. I've tried all their "solutions" to no avail.

Has anyone tried Runtastic to track their runs?

Does running on a treadmill count?

Better than nothing but you should always try to run outside.

With proper training, with that 10k time you could easily aim for a sub 3h30 marathon.

That said, if you haven't run more than 20k, and have less than 2 months from the marathon, I'd suggest you aim for a sub 4h30, be ready to get injured, and think about your decisions in life.

Also, not much you can do at this point, you have basically one month to build base, which would probably bring you (injury-free) to a 17k long run (being generous here), and from there it would just be taper time

Yes. However, if you go outside you'll discover that the treadmill lies about the real time and distance you are able to actually run.

Finally found out I run more front footed, not heal-strike. I wear minimalist shoes and usually do 3 miles every other day for 8-10 miles a week.

Will minimalist shoes have any sort of impact long term?
Anything with support gives me shin splints.
How do I increase my pace? Im at 9:15/mile. Want to get down to 8 minutes.
>inb4 hill sprints
No hills here

I don't know man, I live in a small town, unless I wake up really early, the air is shit because of the traffic and the concrete kills my knees.

At least I have full control on the speed I run at. I don't know, I must be autistic but it's more fun too, I like looking at the bar going up and the monitor and stuff.
And at least I'm not alone.

I already did a few 15km-20km runs (but I never did longer) and I have good base from cycling. I was thinking about a 3h45min.

pls critique
pastebin.com/cSUNJtx8
I just put in some of my favorite/most helpful workouts from xc so I don't know how accessible this is but if yall have any additions don't be shy

No this is normal. If I eat or have coffee before I get nauseous and get side stitches

>supposed to run today in a competition
>cant because my foot is swollen
>because of some mosquito who bit me and the blood flow being shittier because of bad fitting sandals.

Ice didnt work, foot feels heavier, its also hot as balls here and I had a week of long work. Shit sux.

if anything minimalist shoes will be more beneficial for long term because your feet will be strong

people with support shoes are inherently weaker because their feet are being supported and the muscles aren't getting stronger. so if you can fun comfortably with minimalist shoes and a fore-foot strike, power to you

>How do you run if your plan is to run well into your old age?

bend your knees

It makes you feel like a better human being. Humans have evolved to run long distances. This is how we survived. There is something primal in it.

Besides all the cuties run. If you have muscles and run outdoors in popular areas bring a life jacket you you're about to be swimming nom' sayin?

actually, we have evolved to run, or became adapted to run just under 120 minutes per week

ergo-log.com/running-just-5-to-10-minutes-a-day-will-lengthen-your-life.html

Any more than that and the cardio vascular benefits start to decrease.

And at 40km we also get a sharp drop in test because of the stress the body gets into.

the theory behind flat sole shoes is that it replicates running barefoot. the reason why orthotics/supports are bad for you is that you are never strengthening your foot. you are keeping it supported such that your feet never develop to actually support your body while you are running. it's also probable that people in more supported footwear have bad form

get a load of this guy

get a load of you kek

livestrong.com/article/549765-high-mileage-running-testosterone/

>livestrong
also i'm a gril so test doesn't matter to me fatty

as a girl you seem to be pretty dumb, the mortality rate also applies to you, and no I am not fat kek. But I know for certain that you are dumb.

>Researchers concluded that trained runners have low resting total testosterone levels
Holy shit, that's a bad thing. should I stop running?

Walk it first. Then run it super slow. 8km is a pretty good daily run. You'll enjoy some great endurance benefits from this.

So you're advocating that instead of long distance running (which humans are literally built for) we should all run 10 mins a day to avoid stress on our bodies (that evolved to handle it) so that we can spend an average of three more years on this hell planet?
I may not be a genius but I'm not dumb. I'd rather run 2 hours a day and die at 40 tbqh

>Pretty fucking fat
>Running with a HR monitor
>Feeling good about the jog
>Pick up the pace
>I keep going, can feel myself breaking my limit, feels orgasmic
>Suddenly the physical limits of my body catching up with me
>Slow down
>HR is 190
Am I going to die? It felt so good though.

The human body is the greatest endurance machine in nature. Don't listen to this fat fuck until he posts a reputable scientific source

you've caught the bug, congrats user :)
As long as you stay hydrated, you should be alright pushing your limits. If it's too much for your body you'll know before your HR band.

Everyone's different brah. Hitting higher HRs tends to be a sign of youth/health.
At 21 I did a VO2max test and my HR peaked at 184

5k program has worked wonder for me, started being able to run 3 miles with breaks, now 6.75 miles straight

Is it alright if I have an uneven gait, that is having he right foot stay a little longer on the ground and absorb much of the impact and having the left foot do much of the lifting and propulsion?

Conscioisly evening my gait feels really unnatural, though.

trap life bby

This seems like a problem that you need to fix. I can't imagine having an uneven gait won't end in injury.

Meanwhile in other rando study with different methodology we find the opposite:

newsweek.com/testosterone-long-distance-runners-linked-hunter-gatherer-success-320704

>Researchers are arguing that females may have looked favourably upon males with good long-distance running ability in the pre-civilisation hunter gatherer past, due to their ability to catch prey.

>not wanting to appeal to cavewoman through aerobic strength
>shiggy diggy

I used to run everyday but it was a hassle going out for a park or risking my life running through the roads. I miss it.

I do bike indoors while watching animu however, 6 episodes/day is pretty comfy.
Sage for sage.

>after the warm up you have to stretch

Recommendations on good stretches? How long to hold for? How many types of stretches?

It's well and good to say without it you risk injury but then to completely not expand on it seems incredibly lacking.

I don't think the problem is cardio. I think it will be a matter of whether your legs can follow. Bike vs running is pretty different.

The training suggestions don't change though, just go for slow long runs, done at a conversational pace. Don't increase your weekly mileage abruptly, and don't focus on speed.

I still think at 3h45 is too optimistic, but I'd like to be proven wrong. godspeed user

Any images/guides out there for stretching? I've noticed my right leg's started to get quite tight when I run.

Have been living on sub 1500 calories for 6 years. High protein high fat low calorie. I am a competitive runner and have been able to avoid eating 7k-8k calories like my competitors for years. I am 10% bodyfat and 20 pounds heavier than anybody I run against. 6ft 165lbs.

Go ahead, ask me anything. What I've done has programmed my body to really be efficient with nutrients, I get multiple times more power from 100 calories than a normal person does thanks to my training. I run middle distance.

1500m: 3:37
Mile: 3:58
2k: 5:01
5k: 13:52
10k: 28:32

Inb4 weak faggot my squat is 405 and you would call me a "skelly".

If you aren't forcing your body to get a higher percentage of energy per calorie you are fucking up.

Dynamic stretching is what you want to do before runs. (And do static stretches after a run to keep from getting stiff.) Just anecdotally, here's my stretching routine. I usually do each for about 10-15 yards of walking and just go back and forth.

Walk while stretching quads
Walk while hugging knee to chest
Walk and bend over, swinging a leg behind you
Goose steps
High knees
Butt kicks
Grapevine
Walk and do arm circles

Go back outside

I live in a shithole where there are a few accidents every single week where I run. There's literally no other road I can take.

I think that stretching and foam rolling could almost be it's own section, especially because you have to tailor your routine to your own needs/problem areas. I'm not as educated in that area though so I'm not volunteering to write it. There's a trillion articles about it that could be linked, it's just a matter of finding one that's comprehensive/reputable enough.
Thanks

Where do you live?? Like what kind of environment? Is there no neighborhoods or woods to run through? I'm sorry user

stop being a colossal faggot and go outside
try going out earlier or just kys

No. I like the shut-in ways.
>kys

you're never gonna make it bro

;_;

I was doing 12 minutes/mile like 3 months ago and now I do 7:15 minutes. All I can say is keep running until you hit that mark. I guess what helped me was that I used to run in my teens and i kept working out throughout college.