Why do I get the feeling that the overwhelming majority of this board are just faggots who get all their historical...

Why do I get the feeling that the overwhelming majority of this board are just faggots who get all their historical knowledge from reading wiki articles and playing videogames? It's very rare to see people with an actual educated opinion about history here.

>be me
>be an undergrad in history
>post willy-nilly about things I know jack shit about
>suddenly someone makes a thread about the thing I'm writing my thesis about
>I can't write a single sentence without spending hours cross-examining my research notes

>reading wiki articles
>Implying

Bachelors student of history here.

Ask me anything regarding saints in the middle ages in Northern Europe or expression of social status and social identity through material objects in the viking age.

Are most of the Scandinavian saints forgotten because of >Protestantism?

>
Redpill me on the material objects of the Vikangz.

Were they actually well crafted or is this a lie told to make the snowniggers look cool?

Bergen and Oslo still have patron saints. The city emblem of Oslo still has St. Halvard on it.

>Were they actually well crafted or is this a lie told to make the snowniggers look cool?
What objects? Specify a bit more. A lot of swords at the time were actually imported from the Rhine-area. If you look at for example brooches, you'll find that a lot of them were beautifully crafted. I depends what you mean really.

>tfw too intelligent

I have an educated opinion about the history of Islam, Arabic and the Near and Middle East, all other history knowledge is just a hobby. But how often do threads appear about that stuff? God knows I'm too lazy to make them, so I just shitpost

>who get all their historical knowledge from reading wiki articles
Joke's on you, I get all my historic knowledge from participating in shitposting threads

>being able to read

lmao

>in actual education relating to a certain topic of discussion
>it comes up
>people with all kinds of stupid opinions
>can't just pull the "formal education" card, need to actually disprove stupid opinions
>it evolves into trolling and shitposting

I mean, it's Veeky Forums, what did I expect?

>history
>education
Don't make me laugh. You people are all jack-off neoliberals masturbating over narratives.

Veeky Forums is a terrible forum for high-effort posting. This is the world you chose.

>waaa people disagree with their history the Jews taught me

It's a test of knowledge for those who really know about historical shit and a place to shame people who don't know shit about history to the point they will hopefully pick up a book.

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

>to the point they will hopefully pick up a book
You can't make me

Soon-to-be Mastersfag in History here. Ask me anything about politics and philosophy during Warring States China and the Han Dynasty.

>It's very rare to see people with an actual educated opinion about history here.

That would take time out of our holocaust denial and Rhodesia threads.

I have a degree in history but when you write about history you need facts/theories backed by credible sources.

I can't bring myself to post an opinion without doing that but all of the research is not worth posting here so I just lurk instead

What were saints of the time and place like? Was there a particular path to saintdom that came up a lot?

What'd they think of foreigners and the world at large, both philosophically and politically?

Because you're on an anonymous imageboard meant for discussion of Vietnamese fingerpuppets with no requirements for posting.

If you want enlightened hat-tipping debate you should try talking to your fellow students who're as buried up their own asses as yourself.

I have a masters degree in environmental history, prior to that I studied urbanism, which means I don't have a clue about history apart from obscure stuff about forest and water management and some climate history. I feel worthless.

Ive seen a few threads were stormfags and conspiracy theorists keep post fake infographics and stories, and people post real sources and documents to prove them wrong but they just keep posting more and more fake shit so the real historian gets tired of having to debunk fake shit by finding actual proof.

>environmental history
my nigga, you a Canuck? we have a pretty relevant study of environmental history here
accidentally picked an environmental history course in my first year as a history major and didn't regret it, now im going for a small 9 course environmental humanities diploma on top of my bachelor's

Nah, Sweden. I know the field is quite developed in N American academia, but Europeans are new to it and the syllabus suffers because of it. Most people inside the academia don't know what it is, let alone outside of it, so there go employment options. I really dig the subject though, my masters was about the nascent coal mining industry in the Habsburg lands.

>What'd they think of foreigners and the world at large, both philosophically and politically?

Since the Zhou dynasty, the main criterion the Chinese during the Spring and Autumn and Warring States period used to divide themselves from non-Chinese was the respect towards Zhou rites and institutions and allegiance. That's why Chu, far from the central states and influenced by non-Chinese practices, was seen as semi-barbarian by the more "Chinese" states. At first, although the Chinese did consider themselves unique due to their different culture from their neighbors and their rulers being seen as specially appointed by Heaven to manage the world, they saw non-Chinese more as being just different than inferior. Chinese during this time saw cultural differences as mainly coming from the different locations the cultures developed.
After the end of the Western Zhou period, China underwent a revolution in statecraft and technology. Instead of relying on enfeoffed nobles to provide taxes and troops as with Zhou feudalism, centralized bureaucracies allowed governments to cut out the middleman. These former vassal-states that by now have de facto broken away from Zhou authority could now raise and manage hundreds of thousands of soldiers instead of tens of thousands. Instead of ritualized warfare between nobility, iron and new agricultural techniques allowed these large armies to be feed and armed for mass warfare.
Since the decline of the traditional Zhou worldview due to the gradual decline of Zhou (now only having de jure authority), many philosophies arose to fill in the void. As time went on, the disparity between the power and cultural development of the Chinese states versus non-Chinese were noticed by these new philosophies.

Some of these, such as Daoism, Agriculturalism, and Yangism tended to see the non-Chinese "barbarians" as noble savages uncorrupted by the encroachment of centralization and social rules. Confucianism like Mencius thought it is the duty of the gentleman to benevolently teach barbarians about Chinese civilization. Legalism saw them as fodder who should be subjugated to protect and enrich the state.
In general, Chinese during the Warring States Period saw their land as encompassing the only true civilization in the world. When the Qin unified China and ended the Warring States, most Chinese viewed the Qin as achieving conquest of the entire world. However, the incursions of the Xiongnu after the fall of the Qin and the beginning of the Han deflated the Chinese sense of superiority.

After several decades, Han China recovered from the previous decades/centuries and systematically crushed the Xiongnu. With the decline of the Xiongnu, the Silk Road to the west was opened to the Chinese. Reports by travelers such as Zhang Qian brought news of civilizations of great wealth and refinement in Central Asia, Iran, and beyond. Scholars who heard of these other Eurasian civilizations like Rome expressed admiration and saw them as equals or near-equals. If my memory serves correctly, at least one thought there were mutiple Sons of Heaven appointed to govern the world, with the Roman Emperor as a parallel to the Chinese Emperor. Cultural goods and religions from other regions like Buddhism started to seep in during the Eastern Han. But this sort of toleration does not last permanently. From the rise of Neo-Confucianism in the Song and introduction of "Han Learning" exegesis in the mid-Qing, strong and often successful reactions against non-Chinese/barbarian influences occurred.

This balance of recognition of the merit of non-Chinese civilizations vs their belief in their own superiority lasted until the Opium Wars.

As a side note: for more information, about how Warring States Chinese saw their Baiyue neighbors in present-day southern China, see pic related

Probably because this board is full of tankies, atheists, holohoax believers, centrists and redditors

>tfw cant read all the books there is

I make references to things and saying in history a bit on this board and never get (yous).

Dan Carlin's Redditcore history seems to inform this board more than Plutarch or Carlyle.

Kind of a shame.

good posts, thanks user

Neat, thanks.

Movies and fiction books also. Some faggot unironically recommended Quiet flows the Don (a literal bolshevik propaganda by Sholokhov) as a required reading on pre-communist Russia.

Did he also force you to watch Battleship Potemkin?

sholokhov wasn't a bolshevik iirc. Also he is said to plagiarized a shit ton of it

this.

I have a BA in history but I don't really think it was very extensive since I only know German, English, and Enlightenment era French history.

anything beyond goes beyond what was taught in class

>revise history
>call actual history revisionism
>continue doing this until people stop caring

pretty much /pol/'s guide to history.

the spanish are the true heirs of rome right?