QTDDOT since the last one died while I was typing this

QTDDOT since the last one died while I was typing this.

I've read the sticky and I believe I know the answer to this question.

Guy at my gym is friendly and has joined my girlfriend and buddy and I for a few workouts now.

However, his advice is contradictory to what I already understand. I will give examples.

1. With Shoulder Raises, such as ones shown on Scooby's channel, doing each arm separately is how I would perform the exercise. To him, this makes no sense and it would only make sense to do it with both arms. I believe this encourages cheating on the form, and might be engaging muscles other than isolating the shoulders.

2. With leg press, I manage 350kg for 5x5, after a few sessions he has advised me to NOT increase the weight and to maintain 350 or an even lower weight for two months. To him, muscles are like brains, they must learn how to lift a specific weight which makes later weights easier.

HOWEVER. I was and still am, under the impression that you need to be upping the weight slowly but surely until you plateau.

Please help.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3750511/
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.jamesgay.fitnotes&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dfitnotes&pcampaignid=APPU_1_eEiSV5oniM35AfT3gpgC&ved=0ahUKEwiaw6TSvYfOAhWIZj4KHfS7ACMQ5YQBCBswAA&usg=AFQjCNG60zxLfNiO7qq8J6V6j07_oWuVnA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He's an idiot through and through. Your reasoning for the first point is spot on on and as for the second that's just dumb of him. Unless you've been plateauing for a while there's no reason not to slowly up the weights you're pushing

I'm almost through with How to Make Friends and Influence People. I like it, but it kind of seems like a lot of common sense and and into to self help books. What to read next that's in the same vein but maybe a bit deeper? I know this isn't Veeky Forums but I don't know where else to ask.

The bible.

Thank you for reaffirming my beliefs, I had begun to believe him until he told me I should stop adding weight. Quite frankly I felt really good where I was last time, pushing the weight pretty nicely but certainly pushing myself a lot. I felt I could likely add another 10-30KG if I put myself to it.

I feel like I'm just going to ignore him on the basis that my Personal Trainer has said otherwise so I will opt with what my trainer has advised.

I just started taking Pure Monohydrat Creatine, and according to Google, I am supposed to take 5 gram pre- and post workout, is this true?

What are your goals? Learning how to talk to people or power manipulation?
48 laws of power is probably memetier but i found it a more informative read. Most of it was natural for me anyways.

1. What is the stretch reflex or whatever its called where you dont pause during reps and why does it matter?

2. I'm new to lifting but I see people at the gym doing dead lifts super fast and they bend backwards super hard when Im working in with someone. Are they just trying to show off?

3. I'm getting up to 250-260 on deadlifts, not trying to go to snap city, I havent hurt myself yet but should I feel it in my lower back? It doesnt hurt but its kind of like doms.

So lads. It seems like I have steadily gained weight since December of last year. I am overweight now. Almost obese. I have decided to control my calories, which should work over a few months.

Since I am exceedingly poor, I can't afford a gym, but I do have a couple of dumbbells each weighing 15kg. My upperbody strength is really bad. I can't even do a single push-up.

What can I do with the dumbbells in my basement to bring myself to the normal upper strength the average guy has?

Already read it.

Just a general gathering of knowledge on how to deal with people better. I'm not trying to race through anything, I'm just always hungry for different perspectives and the the acquisition of new information.

I can answer your second question only. The speed part can be good if they are training with something called Dynamic Effort, where you pull the bar as hard and fast as you can but it's hard to measure since it's like a "Do your best!" kind of thing. As for bending back, that is bad. Putting the spine into a position besides neutral at the top of the pull risks injury.

Nothing, fix your life and go to the gym

Considering if someone has above average genetics, can someone at 6'5" get proportionately big/shredded enough as a natty to have people occasionally questioning natty status?

Go to the gym consistently for a year or two at any height with any genetics and normies will question your natty status constantly. The questioning of natty status usual derives from insecurity and the denial that hard work will actually pay off.

Will I get a fully developed chest from bench press???I never bench but everyone keeps saying bench,squats,deadlifts and then others say dumbbell chest press is the king.I have been doing db press incline and flat and my chest is nothing to be proud of.
And what's the best rep range for bench?

skinnyfat who finally dropped to 13% bf, if I start training regularly can I hope to have achieved good visible results by August 2017? So basically one year from now

Can a leg press be used to strengthen your hip flexors? I strained my left hip flexors about a week back and had to skip squats today to help recovery. I just want to decent exercises besides leg raises to help prevent this in the future.

At 13%bf, your results will be visible almost immediately. Now, if you mean massive gains, then it'll take about that time, yes.

Learn how to bench with proper form and pause at the bottom and you'll have a great chest

5 reps is a pretty good range. Make sure your grip is wide enough, otherwise you're using primarily your biceps. With a wider grip, you activate your lats and pecs, which are your key chest muscles. You'll also find it easier to lift heavier with a wider grip since you'll be adding those chest muscles to the equation.

Also, do some laying dumbbell flies. They work your lats almost strictly, and are a good accessory lift for things like Bench.

What's the proper form??I hear powerlifting elbows flared in is proper not bodybuilding elbows flared out

Post workout friend.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3750511/

I have done absolutely nothing for chest since I started 1.5 years ago besides 5x5 barbell bench press. I haven't done anything else because just the bench press has been enough to develop my chest. I'm not saying I look like Arnold or that it will work for everyone but it has for me.

For 1, do whichever works for you. Honestly I don't think it matters too much since it's an accessory and shouldn't be your primary exercise for shoulder development
2. unless you are not responding to high volume workouts you should always look to increase weekly volume to stimulate hypertrophy

5 grams once a day is fine

Read the sticky

People will question natty status on literally everyone because the internet is full of complete mongs. Lift properly for a couple of years and see how it turns out.

My chest is developing fine with bench press and using close grip and some paused bench for accessories. I might add dumbbell bench soon just for variety again though. rep range and weekly volume that works best is personal. I see best consistent improvements at the moments benching three times a week Day 1: 3x8 Day 2: as many triples as possible Day 3: 5x5. I aim to use weights which allow a slight increase in volume between each day.

I'd use more squat variants. Front squats and high bar squats with different foot width. I'm a bit of a sucker for compound variation though since I saw really good results with it. Your milage may vary.

It depends how tall he is and how he responds to training. A year of very good training without increasing bf% too much will mean decent gains though.

From April until now I've lost over 45 lbs. The rate of loss has been pretty steady. Current weight is 285 lbs.

Last week I started lifting, but since then I haven't lost any weight at all. In fact I've actually gained about 2 lbs.

Is this to be expected? Anything I should change? Currently on 1800kcals a day.

>flared elbows

Hell no. Elbows should be perpendicular to the floor, 90degrees bent upward.

>Also, do some laying dumbbell flies. They work your lats almost strictly, and are a good accessory lift for things like Bench.
Lats???Chest flyes don't work your lats in any way.Don't you mean dumbbell pullovers??

Yeah, my bad. Flyes work your pecs, pullovers on the lats.

>lats are key chest muscles

Broscience please leave. Lats are only useful to give you a stable platform to push from, they don't move any weight themselves though.

I'd say a solid foundation is just as important as the exertion.

so much misinformation

Nice rebuttal

It's more important to have a strong back for good shoulder health. Any carry over to bench numbers is purely coincidental and shouldn't be a focus.

Could be water retention. If there's another week of no progress you might need to reduce your calories again

Thoughts on myfitnesspal to count calories and nutrients for weight loss? Current fatty here dropping weight, just want to make sure I am using the best tools.

They're all the same in the end. MFP just happens to be free. It has everything you'll need for weight loss, and it has a huge database of foods.

My chest started growing once I added shit outside of bench press. I think a good base of strength from bench is great, and will grow it a little, but adding in dumbbell exercises are what's going to do it.

For me, flat and incline dumbbell, flies and pullovers all did a lot more for chest size than bench press.

For rep range, thhat doesn't matter much IMO, just work at a high intensity. I like to switch it up, 5 reps, 10 reps, drop sets to do like 20 reps. Sometimes I feel more sore and get a much better pump on 20 reps.

It's a good indicator but not all the foods are correct. Just make sure you are tracking a moving average of your weight, and if it isn't dropping over a weekly moving average then east less.

Would it kill my gains if I skip a day (today) and go tomorrow? I still would have the same amount of days lifting, and my schedule would still be on track (MWF, doing Stronglifts). I have slight pain in my right knee-cap area, probably banged it up at work. Or should I just suffer through it and hope I can squat fine?

Pump doesn't affect gains. The most important thing to increase your volume week on week to stimulate growth. If you aren't growing and your diet and sleep is on point then you aren't getting enough volume to force the muscle to grow.

MFP (myfitnesspal) is great, you can find almost anything in there, and its not bad to add in your own shit.

In the long run it won't make a difference. Don't make a habit of it.

Thanks for the input guys

No, but it messes with your discipline.

I know pump doesn't affect gains, but it sure feels awesome, its like cumming

I also do heavy chest flyes,chest dips,cable low and high crossover but am still not satisfied especially by my lower chest.I think I just have flat chest genetics like pic related

You've got yourself some baby arms. You need to work on your biceps a little more. They stand out incredibly in comparison to the rest of your body.

Mate that's not me.And the dude looks phenomenal IMO

can you not read?

No, can you put it into a text to speech for me?

no i can't be botheres

Thanks guys. I'll just add a Sunday the following end of the week and make it an alternating 3/4 day like I've been meaning to

What weight can I realistically bulk up to without sacrificing much endurance for biking/hiking? I'm 6'3"

If you keep doing endurance based stuff while bulking slowly you should be able to keep up with any weight gain.

Took week and a half off as new lifter. Got doms from squat, but entirely in my groin muscles both sides. Is this indicative of bad form?

DOMS isn't really indicative of anything. Supplementing HMB seems to reduce DOMS though.

Anything to know before buying plates?

This is not a strict fit question, but I am a fitbro who needs some help.

I don't drink alcohol to protect my cut, today I'll drink in a alcohol-buffet to celebrate my best friend birthday.

1) How should I drink to not fuck up my fitness?

2) I normally smoke weed (because no alcohol), and I am planning to smoke some today. I have never mixed weed and alcohol, but people meme "not to mix them ever". How much truth is in that?

Are these a meme? I've been thinking about getting them.

So my old belief that doms = good workout. And no doms = not lifting enough weight/reps was retarded?

Mixing weed and alcohol is too much for me, but smoke at least 1-2 hours before you start drinking. The only times I've puked from alcohol is when I smoked while already drunk

Yeah a bit. I bought some and sort of regret it because I don't really use them and when I did they were kind of rubbish. Got a sick forearm pump but I'm better off just doing more deadlifts or farmers walks.

Most of people's beliefs about fitness are retarded.

This is one of them.

DOMS usually just indicated you did something new. Eg, I might get DOMS if I added chest flyes to my routine, otherwise if I'm aching after a workout 'd be worried my form has suddenly changed or I'm under recovering and need to sleep/eat more.

I agree. I feel the best when I don't get DOMS but my numbers keep going up.

If I do SS and then cut will I actually be ottermode? Assuming I would at least need accessories but which ones?

1) Hard liquor, stay away from beer
2) In my experience, the alcohol overrides the weed, and it just feels like being drunk. GLHF senpai

Is sleep really that important even if I am sedentary? Hate to think I'm not getting 100% return, I started lifting too old and need every last bit .

Sup Veeky Forums, looking to buy chalk but I have no idea if I should buy the blocks or powder, is it the same? seems the blocks will get crushed so they become powder or something.

Is it safe to assume both are the same shit? I was thinking of the blocks since I could bring then in a tapperware or some shit in case they break so the powders there to ninja-chalk the bar and my hands since I think the gym doesnt allow it

My deadlift has been suffering from my grip slipping, I tried the hook grip and it slides too(and I never used it before so there's that) so chalk would help a lot while still gaining grip strength

also there's those things you grip and squeeze to gain grip strength, the shop im looking at(strengthshop.de) has them in a variety of kg/force, which one would be for someone that has his grip slipping at only a 125kg deadlift?

thanks in advance

Mixing will increase the effectiveness of both, try to do a bit less of each

what are some good alternatives to OHP? Is it possible to have nice shoulders without it?

Veeky Forums, is there any good android workout tracking app? I used to use Strong for ios which calculated the warmup and the progressive overload every day, also it allowed to make your own routine. Is there something like it on android or should I switch back?

I like fitnotes

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.jamesgay.fitnotes&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dfitnotes&pcampaignid=APPU_1_eEiSV5oniM35AfT3gpgC&ved=0ahUKEwiaw6TSvYfOAhWIZj4KHfS7ACMQ5YQBCBswAA&usg=AFQjCNG60zxLfNiO7qq8J6V6j07_oWuVnA

Book of Pook is really good; it's online, just Google it.

Marry me

There's no need to 'rebut' nonsense, pointing it out is sufficient.

It doesn't matter. Liquid chalk is good and not too messy

I use simple workout log

Is it possible to look big when natty or is it exclusively for roid users? Without a pump natties either look dyel or fat

i've got a normal vitamin d level.
should i moderately take vitamin d supplements to increase my testosterone level anyways?
what's your opinion on vitamin d?

I need a good calorie calculator, all of them throw me different results and I don't know which one is right. Scooby's calculator tells me that my maintenance is 2800, another one just told me that is 2100. What the fuck?

I'm serious

>poster this in another, less succesful QTDDTOT

Skelly here.

I'm having trouble doing adequate numbers of pushups because of my skinny wrist joints. I tire my joints faster than my muscles.

What's the best "joint support" accessory I should get? Just lurking have given me lots of contradictory advice.

Thank you.

You don't need a wrist support for pushups.

You shouldn't be getting any tiring of your joints. Height and weight, how much of a skelly are you?

174cm, 53kg.

Was 50kg about a month ago.

If it matters, I do pushups on my floor, no mat. But even when I did some on mats, my wrists still hurt.

My form is pretty good I've been told, I don't think I'm not doing pushup correctly.

other user
it's best to not support your joints if you can, otherwise they'll get weaker.
but you might wanna ask a doctor which bandage you need - if you need one.
or go to an physiotherapist to check if everything's fine.
good luck m8

How many pushups are you doing?

Just start benching desu mate

I could be doing about 20, but around 10 my joints hurt more and more before I really train my muscles.

I'm not improving very much because of that.

I don't think I have any condition except for being underweight (I would need to be 61kg to be normal).

Do joint actually "improve" like other muscles? Should I just keep pushing them? It gets me worried honestly. Doesn't feel like "healthy pain" after good exercise.

>What's the best "joint support" accessory I should get?

SON YO NEED TO GET YOURSELF SOME PUSHUP PADDLES. THIS WILL HELP YOUR WRIST PAIN AND STRENGTHEN YOUR GRIP AT THE SAME TIME.

BE SURE TO EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. YOU NEED FOOD AND NUTRIENTS TO GROW THOSE WRISTS.

Is that a meme or is it serious?

I've seen some pushup paddles in videos, but I didn't think I needed them.

When you are completely emaciated your joints will improve when you start getting to a healthier weight.

What's a good 4 day routine? My shitty college gym is only open Monday-Thursday.

Pick literally any 4 day routine.

If it doesn't work add more volume until it does.

Yeah, I'm working on that currently and progressing alright. I had been 50kg for 174cm for 2 years, and in a single month of eating more meat/cheese/milk/butter and trying to not skip meals, I've gain 3 kg already.

Thanks Veeky Forums for the all the answers.

bump

upper, lower, upper, lower

My arms looks super thin from the front. Forearm broader than upper arm.
How do I fix this? What exercises?

Ok so this might be a stupid question, but at my gym there's 3 different barbells.

There's this really small one which I assume is a womens barbell, then there's 2 normal ones, and then one that looks almost identical to the normal ones except the grip is like twice as thick.

I tried googling it but can't seem to find out how much heavier the thicker one is. Anyone that might know how much more it is?

I tried picking them up individually but they felt identical to me

Look up the difference between Olympic bars and Standard bars.

See if they fit your descriptions.

In my gym the small one is used on seated OPH, the regular ones on bench and the thicker one on squats. No idea if this is universal.

i've learned that if i get a new max on my lift, i will try to build my body to be able to do it with 5x5 with EASE and i feel comfortable with it until i try to add more weight

so usually i do 5x5 90%, but if i want to increase max i take it more easy few times on gym and try to go beyond my limit in my top condition for 3 reps max even if i could manage more on first time, then i start to work the weight doable 5x5 with ease

Started working out about 2 months ago and very recently I've notice a lot of pain coming from my knees when I bend them all the way. Any less than that and they're fine, but as soon as I completely bend them there is a lot of pain that shoots through my knees.

Is this because of my squats or something else? I also run 2 miles on the days I don't go to the gym, so I usually run like 8 miles a week in addition to visiting the gym 3 times.

What can I do to alleviate this pain?

The SS book tells to do Power Cleans in the Bench press day, but is there any problem in doing it in the OHP day?

Well this is encouraging. I'm 5'6, might as well make the best out of myself.