OHP form

hey Veeky Forums what's wrong with my form?
thaaaanks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI&t=1m55s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Arms going too far back, bar doesn't have a straight path.

It sbould only be going up-down, in a straight linE. For you you're going kind of around your head then far back.

this tbqh. just go to youtube and watch those buff dudes or bros or whatever. THey have good form videos.

so I guess it's not a problem with shoulder mobility? am I overarching my back?

form is ok. Not great. Problem is babby weights on the bar.

no, you're letting your arms swing back too far when they're fully extended.

yeah I'm afraid of fucking my back up with bigger weights, sitting down I can do much more
thanks, that makes sense

also, you're not doing a full range of motion.

I can't push it higher, so I guess you mean I do not lower it enough? I would have to grip it wider then, my forearms are quite long in comparison to my arms.

No you're just doing it too far bro.

Bar should be going up-down, that's it
that's your shoulders and triceps pushing the weight, keep your chin further back at the start of the rep and just don't drive your arms so far back.

Up, down. Remember

Over extension in the spine. Strengthen your glutes and abs/transverse abs. Also do some thorasic extension exercises. Should probably stretch your lats real good before doing ohp in your case as well

TOUCH YOUR CHEST FAGGOT

sorry about your louis ck genetics OP

no, you just have to lower it back down to your chest, not raise your chin so you don't have to drop it all the way down and make yourself think you brought it low enough.

you're not tightening your upper back. it's similar to benching, you need a big chest (think chest towards the ceiling almost) and a tight upper back to create a stable platform to press form.

your wrists are not aligned with your forearms, this might not matter now but will give you a lot of wrist issues in the future, grab the bar like this (not a rip shill, this video in particular is just very good, but you can disregard the humping motion he makes later): youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI&t=1m55s

this comes pretty naturally with a big chest, but to engage your lats your shoulders need to be in front of the bar SLIGHTLY so forearms, wrist and bar all align in a straight vertical line. just check your video, your elbows are like bent backwards, directly under your shoulders. there's no line here.

all these queues are done when unracking, the difficult part is just to maintain these positions througout every rep, but as with anything just practice

you also need to try tightening your glutes, quads and core (valsalva) before you press, just think full body tension as a cue. this gives you balance and stability, and a bit more power as well.

I'm doing a whole mobility routine, I was an immobile hamplanet for 28 years of my life. My kyphosis is already much better. But thanks!
I think I have the problem as in pic related (from starting strength). It also makes it hard for me to grab the bar for low bar squat. Or it is some immobility?
Thanks for the advice, it's very clear. I already try to do some of those things (like tightening the glutes, quads and core), but I'll work on the others.

kek, you should have seen me when I was 55kg heavier
at least I'm not ginger

wrong post quoted but whatever.

bar path should also be near vertical, it's impossible to have it fully but has to feel like it's straight up and down. a good for cue for this is to try and keep the bar as close as your face as possible. might feel scary at first but you get used to it. i've never hit myself.

you need to touch the chest each rep. also breathe at the top and not at the bottom. when i started doing this i immediately got 1-2 more reps on the same weight. this means when you first unrack it the bar you take a big breath and hold it until you are at the top of the first rep, then you take a new one, take a breath and perfrom the next etc. first rep start at the bottom but the rest start at the top.

>I think I have the problem as in pic related (from starting strength). It also makes it hard for me to grab the bar for low bar squat. Or it is some immobility?
in that pic they're both using two different grips (top has his wrists bent, bottom doesn't). And no, you don't have that problem, you literally raised your chin above the bar so you wouldn't have to lower it lower. You're lifting the next rep before you finish the current one.

yes exactly, you are the first one in the pic. just imagine a straight line and things usually fixes themselves. i don't think this is a mobility issue though. for some people the bar rests on their body because this is where the forearms are vertical, some people it floats in the air. just find the correct grip width

also overextension happens because the par is going off the center of your body which naturally bends it backwards (or else you would drop it or snap your arms).

Okay, thanks. I'll just try to implement the advice and I guess it will be fixed.