I'm getting sued. :/

In 2011 I started my own business doing handyman work. I ran across a craigslist ad posted by another business. I really liked the logo in their ad so I saved it, modified it a bit, and started using it in my own ads.

On Friday, I got an email from a customer I'd worked with who noticed that my logo was a modified version of someone else's. He said that what I was doing was illegal and that I should send them a formal apology in writing to avoid getting sued. He said that he contacted them also in case if I tried to just delete my current ads.

I typed up an apology, explaining that what I did was wrong and that is cease using the logo. In my apology, I mentioned the date I started using it (every ad I've posted used the logo). When they replied, they said they were disappointed and asked how, besides craigslist, I advertise my business and to send them invoices for every job I took from Craigslist. I told them I only use craigslist. I have a file on my computer with every invoice since I started.

I heard nothing over the weekend but then I got an email this morning thanking me for the thorough information I provided. They said I could pay them the 25% of my labor charges from every invoice I provided them or they'd take further action.

I don't have that kind of money. I don't know what to do. Obviously, I need a lawyer but that's expensive too. I don't know what defense I have. Should I see if they'll put me on a payment plan and avoid court? How does this work?

nothing more than a cash grab. stop using the logo. and then just stop responding and it will go away. kind of like jury dury.

dude they cant sue you for that lmao just change the logo and stop using it

You done fucked up, you shouldn't have sent the apology you admitted to guilt. Have fun lawyering up for a frivolous case that will legally fuck you in the ass for years. Lawyer up

even if he did that he can still claim he was coerced and intimidated. just stop responding.

Do I washout to get served or should I get a lawyer now?

Wait*

don't do anything.

It's all a lie. You didn't write the letter, the other company did. You have no idea what this is about. Stop responding to any communications from Jew company. Change logo, print up some flyers with different logo and back date them just in case. Then forget all about this and get back to making money.

if you changed it a bit, it's not their logo anymore, so the lawsuit is just trying to scam you into admitting and therefore paying.

Variations of logo that doesn't represent original logo can't be an issue and judge should dismiss it. Find a good lawyer and you'll get away with this pretty soon.

Don't fall into a trap. Good luck

This. Dude stop worrying btw, this is fucking nothing. Tell him to fuck off. His goal was to scare you shitless and get you to admit your guilt, mission accomplished!

The problem with this situation is that if you keep letting them dictate the terms, they're going to keep demanding more. Unfortunately it sounds like you're fucked now that you've admitted what you did, because otherwise they probably would have squirmed for a long time trying to actually prove that it was their image you manipulated and not just a coincidence. I suppose uou could try to force them to prove that the work you plausibly "took" from them amounts to 25% of you labour charges per invoice. In any case they sound like dirty cunts and I hope you do alright.

1. You are fucking retarded for admitting guild
2. You should have fucking ignored that twat and his "reporting"
3. Do not give 25% of your profits you cuck just ignore them and pretend like nothing is going on

If they sue it will be expensive as FCK, but your dumb ass already admitted guilt while you could have found some excuse. Kys retard

Your last hope is pretending it was not you who send that E-Mail say some BS it was your wife and she was wrong.

Courts have ruled that an IP can not be linked to a person and that an E-Mail is not binding. Either way this a pure scam. Just ignore them, never reply. All the big companies do this for a reason: so the other party just drops it

This too.

Ad finally for all the retarded fuckers in this tread:

EVERYTHING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU

This line is vital, remember it dipshit.

He’s under arrest?

They are obviously scammers.
You should just change your logo idiot. Why would you write them an apology letter like a retard.
Just change your logo and do nothing. Don't give them money you idiot.

Lawyer checking in. How similar was the name/logo? Is the other company well known? Is the other business in the same line of work as you?

Also, never send an unprompted apology letter like that again. Ever.

OP is Jihan.

Retards deserve what's coming for them.
Although it's really just a scam, OP is still retarded

why would u admit that you started using their stupid logo in the first place? for all they know it could have been a total coincidence.

>former customer contacted them

what kind of cuck would dob on you for using somebody elses logo? why the hell does he give a shit. The fucking idiot.

the 25% is their own way jew way of trying to have it not too much for you to take your chances with a lawyer, but also not too insignificant for you to be able to pay it willingly. They are trying to squeeze money from you plain and simple.

if they are a shitty small operation that no one has ever heard of then nobody would give a fuck about them, u could probably even sue them for harassment

I just dont see how this isnt a troll.

>I typed up an apology, explaining that what I did was wrong
Why the fuck would you ever do that?
The proper response, would have been to ignore your customers email, and change your logo to some royalty free image of a hammer, or whatever you were using.
I would have had NO contact with the competitive business. Let them try and prove you stole their logo, you could have maintained it was just a coincidence.
You volunteered too much information. Honesty is a meme.

this, dont let the scam you. lmao 25% of your profts, what the actual fuck...

They're actively trying to con you,
this includes the "customer" you had.
DONT give them any money, nor extra information.
They can't sue you for using a logo that looks like theirs, unless you 're impersonating them(using their name etcetera)

Do you even know the meaning of Murica?

This.

Don't fucking respond to these people anymore.

It's very important that no matter the fear, impulses you may have: Do not respond, block them right away, create another contact account, make sure they UNDERSTAND that you're not going to give them any attention.

You didn't had to write any apology. They're trying to scam you, do not talk to them ever again nor respond to these stupid messages from anyone from now on.

Go to the police and report this person for extortion.

Basically, you fucked yourself by admitting what you did.

An intelligent human being would know you did nothing wrong and ignore the whole issue. But you pretty much invited them to take legal action against you. If you hire a lawyer now he'll just call you retarded because you handed this other company an ironclad defence with your letter of apology.

t. someone who totally stole Starbucks logo for his own business

their own fault for not noticing and not sending you'cease and desist' letter in advance.
you don't own them shit.

This, fucking artists do this shit all the fucking time so as long as they modify at least 20% everyone knows they're blatantly plagiarizing but they stand firm behind muh 20%

Or you could of just called it a "tribute" to that business and left it at that :^)

People living in police states are under perpetual arrest

Never admit fault. You fucked yourself lol asshole. How many employees did you just fuck over too, incompetent shitlord? You should have fired yourself and sold the biz years ago knowing you weren't competent.
>public suicide

He is not. But an arrest is not important. That fucking line is.

People need to remember it very well. There is a reason it is said every fucking time.

Everything you say can and will be used against you. Trans: shut the fuck up and do not give extra evidence

You're a big moron, for many reasons.

1) We all know about trademarks and copyright, why would you steal someone's logo?
2) Why, after making that massive mistake, would you then ALERT THE COMPANY and say HEY HERE'S AN OPPORTUNITY TO SUE ME
3) Why, then, would you proceed to assume
>Obviously, I need a lawyer

Really examine the way you think and make decisions. Everyone can learn to be smarter, even you. There's something you're doing or not doing in your thought process that's leading you astray. Before every decision, weigh the potential risks and benefits. This should be automatic, but you'll have to do it manually. So let's think this thru.

>You did a dumb thing and now you have an email from a company asking for 25% of your profits from all jobs using their logo
Remove your emotional reaction here, and think.
Do you need to pay them? Why? Why would you not need to pay them?
>Maybe because hiring a lawyer is extremely expensive, they have a VERY shaky case considering you stole only their logo general design and not their company name, and whether or not they would win is up in the air. Starting a case is never a good idea unless you have a lawyer who won't have you pay unless you win, or if you are extremely sure you'll win.

You don't need a lawyer OP, you need a fucking brain.

Im in law school. Did you modify it enough to qualify as original? Post the original logo and your ad for us to see how fucked, if at all, you are. Also, definitely contact a lawyer, too

He doesn't need to waste money on a lawyer unless they decide to take him to court, which they won't, because OP is just some little schmuck who made 5,000 dollars max. Even if they did win (unlikely) the payout would be less than the legal fees.

You spilled the beans, now you get to clean em up.

Op, are you also the gay man paying his hetero co-workers a gay tax?

Well written ridiculous larp scenarios is a good meme.

Time to call the law offices of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe, bud