Overhead Press

How many of you can actually press lmao 1 plate?

I just recently started lifting (again) and was squatting 60kg today. During rest I figured why not try how much the weight would actually feel like to overheadpress... I couldn't even move the bar.

With all over lifts - except maybe benchpress, but there it'ts mainly a psychological thing - I can at least imagine lifting huge amounts of weight. Will I ever make it to 1 Plate OHP?

Other urls found in this thread:

sports-reference.com/olympics/summer/1936/WLT/mens-heavyweight-military-press.html
youtube.com/watch?v=YAk_SNu1QNk#t=3m35s
youtu.be/Oc2mzDaObRY?t=48
youtube.com/watch?v=bvvPbrHWqyM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sure dude I believe in you

max was 165lb at about 142lb bodyweight.

then injured myself trying to add 10 to my 250lb bp. Can't imagine where i'd be if i'd kept lifting the past 6 years. take it from me, keep going.

how manlet are you lmao

5'7". considering it took me less than 5 months of lifting on a cut, at that, to get those numbers, pretty sure OP can do just fine if he stops worrying about stupid shit.

I can press 1pl8 for 10 reps.
I weigh 210lbs and have been lifting for 4 years tho.

Just keep at it. The strength will come. OHP is a bitch of a lift to progress on, and to be honest I still haven't found a method of volume vs intensity vs frequency that nets me anything close to consistent gains.

lifting for 9 months, 85kg 20y/o M

can press 1pl8 for 2 reps and 65kg for 1rm

for me personally, you need a lot of volume at a lot of different rep ranges for OHP, to increase even the tiniest amount

when i started doing 3x8-12, 4x6-8, 5x5-6 for 3 weeks on my volume days, and 3x4, 4x3, 5x2 on heavy days I started to see linear strength gains again after being stuck at 1pl8 for a long time.

OP here, does it make sense to mix in accessories exercises or should I just focus on progressing on the big lifts for now.

I already bought fractional plates to push through any plateaus

at your 60 kg squat level? no

get all your lifts up to a decent level first.

How wide is your guys stance and how do you breathe during? I find I run out of breath and get too tired to finish my sets

Well 1 plate squat is very low and 1 plate OHP is very high so yeah, can't tell why you would be surprised that you can't move the bar like that.
Protip they're different lifts and engage different muscles.

just wide enough to be solid on the ground, like shoulder width with feet pointed outwards

you take a big breathe when you unrack and keep it for the first rep, then all the remaining reps you breathe at the top. this mean if you feel tired and need a "pause" in the lift you keep it over your head instead of the bottom. this is because when you don't stop at the bottom you get a rebound reflex effect like the squat which helps you a bit. i got 1-2 more reps per set when i started doing this.

it makes a lot of sense if you compare it to the bench where we also breathe and start each rep at the top. it's just that we unrack it at chest level that makes the first rep start at the chest.

For me, legs slightly inside shoulders. Engaged glutes, quads, and core. Huge breath at bottom like a valsalva maneuver, crush that rep, repeat. End with a face like a tomato.

of course i didnt expect that i am able to actually lift it, i just wanted to get a feel for it.

Currently OHP 176.8, or 80kgs.
Aiming for 2 plate

I've done 5 reps (so far the only part of 1/2/3/4 I've been able to do). I'm a fatty on a perma-cut though, and I'm starting to lose ground. The last couple times I've tried it, I've only gotten 2 or 3.

Strongly recommend buying Starting Strength and reading it, it has a lot of information about the basic lifts, you will know how to lift and why you are doing it. As a total novice it's an advantage to get started with a solid understanding of training.

This topic is interesting to me because Im not too strong or big, or I never thought of my OHP as good, but my max was 190lbs (about 85kgs), and its currently at 155lbs (70kgs) for 8.

For reference, I weigh 210lbs. My OHP goal is my desired weight, 220lbs.

Wish me luck

I was doing more than one pl8 before I started lifting because I was was breakdancer which requires a lot of tricep/shoulders/chest. My OHP was my bench. I was doing handstand pushups easily.

However I'll tell you this, you don't get mires for shoulders because it's still all about biceps and chest

Ty, user. I will try this next time

So you breathe at the bottom instead of the top?

Mix in some landmine and I think they're called viking presses (both have very similar movements but viking is like a raised landmine press). Work wonders. I quite like handstand push ups too, I assumed they helped when I did them.

I had those numbers on my first day after coming back from a prison camp in the middle east in a state of starvation.
Fucking weakling manlet.

I've military pressed 110kg (242lbs) at 90kg as a max DRUG FREE. This achievement wasn't easy, nor within the realm of most. Took eight years of training (22-30) and likely more commitment than it was worth.

Want to do it? Here are some tips:

>You can train press a lot more than you think. Up to 5 sessions/week. A classic press routine (pre roids) for an intermediate would be: 60% 3x3, 70% 3x3, 80% 3x2, 90% 3x1. Do that for two weeks before adding 2.5kg and continuing.
>Again, you can press more than you think.
>Squats and deadlifts are a must as power-builders and I found the snatch/c&j to be extremely complimentary to moving the press.
>Bench and its variations are next to useless for increasing press.
>Going for a 100kg+ overhead in this day and age drug free is probably a fools errand. Using I could have accomplished this goal much quicker.
>Keep in mind that the olympic record at the last olympics prior to roids being used was 135kg at the 1936 Berlin Olympics (Heil Hitler.) You 'only' pressing 60kg 1plate at 70kg after a couple years of casual training ain't that bad. sports-reference.com/olympics/summer/1936/WLT/mens-heavyweight-military-press.html

>>However I'll tell you this, you don't get mires for shoulders because it's still all about biceps and chest
The grass is always greener

I got there from the bar in 3months. Got sick of strength routines and turned to brosplits and db stuff

Did my first yesterday, 6 months of lifting at 180 pounds 5'8(174cm)

Yes.

Since you're 5'7 and 142, you're either stubs McArms or doing what most retards do who claim disproportionately high OHP and actually push pressing it.

liftan for 4-5 months doing 0.5 plate 5x5 strict press starting position chest. i see lots of people shortening their ROMs on this

I think the most I've ever lifted was 50kg

Went from 45 straight to 50 and I think I hurt my side back then. Couldn't do shit for a few weeks.

Me:

Use DB presses (1 handed! It might sound contradictory, but you can press a higher % of your two hand max 1 handed than pressing 2 dumbells), seated presses and behind the neck presses. There are more, but that's the bang for your buck three.

Again, you can press more than you think. Do one 4x4-6 2xweek. Press 3 xweek. What do your press? I can give you a beginner routine if you give me your whatever x rep max.

90% of the people in a commercial gym who ''''press'''' either start from a lock out or use their legs to get out of the bottom, then never descend past their nose until they finish.

nope. had a job at a private airport and regularly loaded rich peoples' shit into their planes, so a decent history of OHP movement.

You might and it's certainly possible, but you'll have to forgive me if I think it's a bit dubious without seeing a video of correct movement and full ROM. Good job if you keep it right.

Progressing slowly to 1pl8 OHP, to me it is the most impressive looking lift.

>55lb OHP
>now 110lb OHP
>3 months of the lofting
>no signs of slowing down, 5lb progress a week

I train shoulders once a week, eat a lot and sleep a lot. Currently in a very blessed situation where I can do that, and am very familiar with having too much on your plate and have lifting fall to the whey side (ayyy lmao c wut i did?).

When I hit 135 OHP for my 5x4, honestly gonna buy a fucking cake hahaha.

You're probably push-pressing. 8 reps of OHP for 70kgs is impressive, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't have good delts doing that.

>no signs of slowing down
Wew lad, you're in for a shock when 2.5lbs can be the difference between reps or stall on an overhead press.

I'm 85kg and can OHP 30kg dumbells for reps.

Which would be 1 plate equivalent, but DBs actually take more effort since you don't have the crutch of a balancing bar(or having your barbel start at shoulder level, since I know you're OHPing in the squat rack/power cage).

it's also my favorite lift. i'm well aware to keep legs out of the lifting, and not leaning back.

seriously though, who doesn't feel like a fucking sick cunt when you're lifting a bunch of weight straight the fuck up?

He weights 210lbs. He's roughly .70 bodyweight for reps. He might also be fat so you can't see shit on his delts.

Feels good man. Especially when alot of people avoid the lift like pussies.

Yeah I'm nervous for this hahaha, as it stands in all my lifts (Deads aside, curse muh shitty grip strength) everything is progressing very nicely BUT, as you stated my CNS gains are bound to topple.

67kgx10
177cm 86kg 1,5 years of lifting
imma fat fuck tho

Did you switch to mix grip on deads?

Lmao I'm 64kg and can OHP a plate for 8 from the ground up. 30kg DB is also easy mode. Please step it up, brah.

Nah I'm going to be keeping it standard with conventional for a very long time, I just need to start incorporating some serious farmers within my program to help.

Any tips on how often I should be doing farmers walks tho? I have no idea the amount of volume forearms can endure, and whether or not they truly need a rest day.

>and not leaning back.

I'm the 110kg lifter. I'd actually recommend a slight backbend if wanting to go for a max. NOT the exaggerated bend you see in 60s-70s weightlifters, but what you can see in this picture of John Davis.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend doing that often or at all really. However, it does allow more weight to go up.

Also, use a staggered stance of one foot up to 4 inches in front of the other for those max attempts. It's one of those tips I never see in the modern literature on overhead pressing (probably because no one really presses today and all big pressers are built on roids) yet it will increase your maxes more than a bit.

Do 1 arm deads. Besides being an ultimate grip exercise I found you can do them more than you can deadlift. 5x5 x 3/week is OK. That or start pulling from the rack, HEAVY shrugs from rack or switch to 7/6/5/4/3/2/1 going up in 10kg.

Don't be afraid to switch to mix if you start losing grip strength. It's better to get those last few reps then to let your forearms stop you. Just keep double overhead for as long as you can. You can also do a few sets where you lockout and just hold the bar double overhead with lighter weight. It'll help your grip and your diddly.

Well you have to keep in mind that for a beginner an additional 2.5lbs is a higher percentage of additional weight then an intermediate. In my experience the phase up to approx 50 is the most difficult and painful as you stall a lot

Kg

1 arm deads sound alfalfa af, definitely going to look into that ty user.

will give it a try. it's a shame it's not as popular of a lift anymore.

isolating triceps really helped my ohp
I think they work the most at the bottom, so if you have weak triceps the weight will never go up.

What kind of injury did you sustain from bench pressing? Torn pec? Or did the bar crash down on you and break your sternum or ribs?

People avoid the lift because its not "muh powerlifting"

OHP is great for joocy shoulders

5'11, 78kg and I can do 1pl8 for 4

I pulled my right quad.

>OHP is great for joocy shoulders

kek, you mean joocy triceps

Those are a secondary muscle, delts are primary.

155 for 1 atm
I have really short arms and really wide shoulders. I look like a retard but I can press a lot

You're a secondary muscle.

150 for 5 reps boys lets go

And your a tertiary faggot

Wrong, bitch, I'm quaternary.

think it was a joint issue. My shoulder still doesn't have full range of motion, and clicks audibly when I rotate it. Now that I finally have health insurance, I should get it checked, but...mah gains.

>Just hit 115 3x5 last week
>Read thread
>Decide to go try 1pl8
>Feels heavy but not too bad unracking
>It goes up easy af, like I probably could do 10 more lbs
A-am I making it Veeky Forums?

do you guys do rippetoe's press 1.0 or bounce 2.0 or another version ?

i just finished my first week of SS and did 75. i weight 198

165 for 3x5 atm. Most I've ohp was 175 for 1 rep

My right arm is 4-5cm shorter then my left.
I prefer pressing to bench.
BUT
Should I change to dumbbells instead of bar?

>tfw you can only do mixed grip bar deads

I can hit 1pl8 for 12 reps

Who else 1.5pl8?

>weight belt
>arching back

What's wrong with using a weight belt and my arch isn't even bad

outside of competition arching is good as you work your upperchest

nah its strict and from the ground, no rack. my delts are weak, i have the long traps and sloped clavicles that make it really hard to work them without the traps stealing the work. my guess is the triceps are what get the job done, i also deadlift so my core is rock solid stable which makes it easier

try squeezing ur ass and ur core at the same time like 2 forces going in opposite directions and then all that force goes upwards and then press up with all ur might and breathe out when u got the bar past ur forehead : )

its all i could come up with

I did 135 for 1x3 and a half yesterday.
Then went down to 130 and did 5x3

I can The Press 55kg

Hopefully be at 1 plate in 2 weeks

>Flaring out elbows

>awful form
>belt

Fucking apply yourself user

>whats the sexiest bodypart on a man
>shoulders

youtube.com/watch?v=YAk_SNu1QNk#t=3m35s

>like it makes a difference
youtu.be/Oc2mzDaObRY?t=48

>Those are a secondary muscle, delts are primary.

no

I really need to spend more time prepping for my cleans. I'm lifting again after a bit of a break and had trouble cleaning low weight.

>not doing the cheat-press
youtube.com/watch?v=bvvPbrHWqyM

3 sets of 6 immediately followed by 10 reps, Same for rear delts, For some reason I get really positive results out of this when it comes to delts, lifting 6 months in and almost 1pl8 OHP, shit is fucking cash.

>tfw can only strict press 85kg but can push press 100kg
Kill me

don't you lie to me.

>when i started doing 3x8-12, 4x6-8, 5x5-6 for 3 weeks on my volume days, and 3x4, 4x3, 5x2 on heavy days I started to see linear strength gains again after being stuck at 1pl8 for a long time.
what program?

wtf?? is this genesis gym in coffs harbour??

General OHP question: do people usually use a grip as wide as the one shown in OP's pic?

I've been keeping my hands just outside of my shoulders, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure this would be much better than a wider grip. I'm guessing that a narrower grip would lead to a slightly wider ROM and slightly better isolation of the delts, but I'm not really sure.

Just wondering how wide Veeky Forums grips the bar for OHP

I use a narrower grip so my elbows are tucked in tight. I retract the scapula hard like when I'm benching.

Wtf is that form arent your supposed to put elbows on lats for them to rest?