Is it true that Mussolini had requested of Hitler to delay any war plans until Italy could develop a better military...

Is it true that Mussolini had requested of Hitler to delay any war plans until Italy could develop a better military doctrine? My friend seems to believe that Mussolini had wanted the war delayed to 1942 for this task.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esposizione_universale_(1942)
youtu.be/IqoOk5nZEKw
youtu.be/nFJI04ifSoM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Italy could develop a better military doctrine

Given the fact that Italy have more experience than Germany in modern war, I think that Italy would basically do the same in 1942.

They had to Rif off that stupid autarchy economy, and basically change the whole military org and doctrine.

That needs decades, not 2 years.

It wasn't about the doctrine, it was about modernizing the armed services who were short on motor pool, had outdated equipment and a lack of radios. The Regia Marina and Regia Aeronautica were relatively modern and even decent but the army was fucking terrible outside specialized units like the Alpini and Folgore

Mussolini was told war wouldn't happen until the 40's which would have given Italy time to improve its military more. I don't know if Mussolini personally requested that Germany not go to war until he was ready but he was certainly taken by surprise when it happened in 39 and then entered the war in 40 near the fall of France stupidly because he thought it was going to be over soon and he wanted a land grab.

Lol, as if Italy could even improve on their mess.

>until Italy could develop a better military doctrine
You mean until Italy could develop a strong enough industrial base and create large enough resources reserves to actually wage war. Hitler forced Italy into war while it had no real armor, little to no fuel, and in the midst of a small arms upgrade.

von Ribbentrop told Mussolini and his foreign minister that Hitler wouldn't start a war for at least 3 years after the Pact of Steel was signed

WW2 started 3 months later

The "stupid autarchy economy" was merely a propaganda tool to cover the need to cope with the industrial woes created by the SoN embargoes. It wasn't really up to Mussolini to do away with a situation forced upon him in retaliation to a bog standard (if needlessly bloody) colonial war.

Let's say that Mussolini had other things in mind to do in the 1940s than waging a global war
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esposizione_universale_(1942)

Italy never had the industry to sustain a properly competetive army and their equipment and doctrines were prett much pants on head retarded, it would have taken decades to fix

Pic is wiki card for operation compass in 1941 in north africa, gices you an idea how shit the italian army was
youtu.be/IqoOk5nZEKw
youtu.be/nFJI04ifSoM

what happened to all these captives? I've seen that the 100k+ figure of Italians ending up as POW's for quite alot, what did they do to them?

>Italian military doctrine

How would it even look like?

No idea, i imagine they just sat around in camps in palestine or maybe india somewhere for like 5 years

Now that i think about it that sounds super shit

The americans and brits put them into camps where they basically just chilled. The russians gulag'ed them. The yugos threw them into the foibe or simply murdered them.

Some switched sides and joined the US, others did the usual POW things.

West was only side that actually respected the Geneva convention. I woudn't expect anything bad happening to the Italians.

Sounds extremely costly, feeding and sheltering people the size of an average city wew

Not everyone is Nazi, thinking food is worth more than human life.

I don't have any solid proof other than the timing lining up. My grandfather may have been one of of those 133,298 POWs captured after that battle. He was in a POW camp for 5 years and he spent his time as a mechanic/ saboteur and in the "hotbox."

The hotbox was a metal box sitting in the middle of the desert and if you rebelled you would hangout int here for a while.

It helped that the allies already had a logistic setup to deal with them. It wasn't really any different than supplying any other army base afterall, and when you're already providing for millions, a few hundreds thousands isn't that much of a strain.

Colonial empires and the basically untouchable usa helped, as wel as the allies having drastically less serious food problems

It's not like they could have developed a WORSE one.