Is there any real disadvantage to DB benching instead of BB benching...

Is there any real disadvantage to DB benching instead of BB benching? I feel like my workouts are getting slowed down and time is being wasted asking for spotters everytime I go to bench. Is there a problem switching to dumbbells every time I go to bench?

Bump.

If you're going heavy you'll still need a spotter

Wondering same thing. Switched to dB a few weeks ago since gym bro has decided he's to cool

>switch

Do both

>needing a spotter ever
>planning to hit failure
Kys

>he doesn't know how to bench press safely alone

OP here. I know that for me the amount of weight I can bench definitely drops when I switch to DBs, but I imagine that's just because the left arm can't help the right arm, etc.

It's just so much easier to drop the DB from the chest position when I bench until failure. (Whereas BB bench failure always makes for a scene).

Does the BB bench hit muscles that the DB bench doesn't?

No, BB let's you use more weight which puts more stress on the muscles being used as well as increased CNS adaptation.

The primary benefit of DB is there is an increased ROM, particularly at the bottom of the rep. The lower you go on a bench, the more work that is done by the chest.

Maybe someone can invent some kind of special bar with handles that allows you to reach as far down as a pair of dumbbells but is one solid piece. Maybe something with raised handles

>Maybe someone can invent some kind of special bar with handles that allows you to reach as far down as a pair of dumbbells but is one solid piece

this exists, but i dont know what it's called

barbell engages your core more

dumbbells are good for rotator cuff area and general stabilization development though

So, if I'm hearing you right, there's really no downside to DB instead of BB, other than the CNS adaptation?

It sounds like I'll be able bench solo without choke city/rolls of shame.

good luck getting 80+ lb dumbbells in position without a spotter lol

Theoretically, a trapbar with raised handles would work. But that sounds just about impossible to do.

This. DB's are harder to balance, and balance is required for lifting heavy.

Also, I don't know why you feel the need for a spotter when you're benching. It's useful if you're going to failure, but if there's no amazing benefits to doing that.

Saw this on instagram

If you cant lift 80lb dumbells to press, you sir need to be wroking your legs instead of your upper body. All you do is sit the bell on your knee and lift with you hipflexor assisting with your arm and use the momentum to get them into position. OR (a big one) try starting with lower weight your hipflexor can assist lifting up.

So my one rep max is 200 on bench press. Why is that my chest doesn't burn like dips or cable flies? I mean I get a bit of a workout and have tried different grip widths.

Shoulder packing?

I currently bench the 85 dbs. I place them slightly above my knees, and then lay back and push up into the first rep. It's really not that hard to do.

t. future snapped back

I do keep my shoulders tight and retracted

In db bench you can't lift heavy weight with weak core because you can't get them in position so do more reps and take your time. Safe as fuck too

> doesn't know what progressive overload is

I've been doing DB bench for a while since I can never find a consistent gym bro. They all bitch out after a while. The only one who hasn't quit is the guy who got me into lifting, but we live an hour apart nowadays. Every so often I will find someone new to lift with and do BB bench, and I can hit upwards of lmao2pl8 for reps and have decent chest development. I just find DB to be significantly safer to do alone at higher weights.

My gym has little magnet weights you can stick on the dbs

Pros:
>more chest activation(your chest hypertrophy will sky rocket)
>more stabilizing required
>bigger ROM and stretch
Cons:
>you move less weight
>db bench cant carry over to a powerlifting meet if thats your goal

You're doing progression wrong if you ever go past technical failure