Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums
I have exercise induced asthma. I'd like to lose weight as I'm pretty heavy, but because of the asthma, I can't exercise for too long.
What do I do?
Any tips to get around this? Anyone dealt with same?

if your primary goal is losing weight, you should be primarily focusing on your diet anyway. Count calories, learn to cook for yourself, cultivate at taste for vegeatbles over carbs.

As for exercise, what can you do? Bicycling? A cheap stationary bike you set up in front of a computer monitor so you can watch your Korean cartoons while you pedal is a pretty great first exercise regime

niceme.me

thanks for answering...
yeah, my diet definitely needs work.
My uncle went paleo and gluten free and he lost a whole bunch of weight

Read the sticky. Not being sarcastic. It helps. Calories in and calories out.

I have asthma as well. It sucks. But walk. Hike. Lift weights. Pick a tried and tested program.

And don't give up.

Thanks

You should get yourself a cheap food scale and download a calorie counting app.

I have exercise induced asthma as well, when I lost weight it became much better

cherish the feeling of being hungry. eat slower. remove junk food. we're all gonna make it.

Talk to your GP
There are plenty of decent level athletes who have asthma.

I "cured" my asthma (it flared up when I exercised when I was younger) by getting gud.
Once I started losing weight and running/walking more my lungs got used to the extra stress.
Now I can run up to 5 miles breathing fine.
My asthma flares up maybeee once a year, usually from smoke or dust.
Just start out slow, practice running and keep your inhaler close.
You need to start exercising your lungs.

don't tell him to practice running, if he's really big that could be bad advice
current weight? goal weight?

I have allergen-induced asthma (dust, stuffy houses, etc.) and swimming greatly helped with my asthma. I was hitting a bit of a plateau because my lungs couldn't keep up with my body but I seem to have passed it now

i have asthma (exercise induced, plus lots of airborne allergies) and I did couch25K to build up my endurance. I went from being able to jog for less than 30 seconds to running a mile and a half without stopping in about 6 weeks.

I have exercise induced asthma too. Cardio sucks big time for me. I can bike and swim okay but running and high intensity cardio exercises get me winded fast. I found that lifting doesn't trigger my asthma at all, as long as I go slow and take a minute break in between sets. Eating better helps, and doing very breath oriented things like yoga or tai chi can help you breathe from the diaphragm instead of the chest.

Thanks for answering guys... I'm about 240lbs at 6'2
It should get easier when I lose weight, yeah?

First of all, you're going to have to concentrate on your diet first of all.

Remove ALL junkfood and preprocessed junk and excess sugar. And drink up to a gallon of water a day.
Any food you eat has to be home cooked or self prepared.

Trust me. You'll lose a ridiculous amount of weight from that simple change.

After a few months of this and learning about how your body works with other foods you can start letting yourself have the occasional treat and have a major cheat day on sunday or saturday.

Lastly, exercise isn't always about full balls to her chin effort.
It's about having a high level of activity that increases your basic levels of fitness and muscle tone.
Long pourposeful walks, some light swimming, streuous yoga and calisthenics are all good ways to get fit that shouldn't cause your asthma to flare up.

No. I have severe asthma and can tell you for a fact. The more you run, the better it gets. The O2 levels in your blood increase and it helps. I went from being hospitalized consistently as a kid, to running through college and just did my first ultra this last winter.

>What do I do?
go to doctor
explain 'exercise induced asthma'
get albuterol inhaler prescription
use as required
now: stop making excuses and lose the fat ass

Yeah but if you weigh 300 pounds running will fuck up your joints

OP here
240->200lbs

Get an inhaler with fluticasone propionate, as much as possible per dose (250ug is good for me)