Boxing

What does Veeky Forums think about boxing? Seems like a great way to get in shape. There are a bunch of gyms in Georgia that offer training, plus my friend is semi-pro.

boxing as a fitness has the highest rate of dropout

they load you up front with gear (gloves classes, "pro" circuit)

but they know SHIT, literally shit about how the body works.

get someone either ACSM or NSCA certified.

A great way to get a concussion

It's my career. Training with a bag is good cardio, and everyone likes to be comfortable throwing a punch, but if you don't already love to fight, I doubt you'll do well.

I love fighting, I spar with my friends at our local gym but I have no training plus I get sore arms quick. It just seems like a good commitment for fitness and life.

What part of Georgia are you in?

I would love to get into Boxing, but the closest boxing gym near me is in Athens, an hour away.

I live around the atlanta area in the city so they are plastered everywhere

It's just cardio, doing it only for cardio is stupid. You likely won't last and there's better forms of cardio that don't involve taking multiple impacts to the brain over and over.

If you do it, start running EVERYDAY. And tons of sit ups.

I started about 6 weeks ago and have taken up extra running. Also, my abs were not ready for high volume sit ups after a workout. I want to eventually get into sparring

You seem to know a lot about boxing if you think training is where you get hit in the head repeatedly

Love it. Might try to train in it soon.

That's horseshit. I used to hate fighting. When I took up boxing I gained confidence in my fists and now i'm more alpha lel

retard you don't have to spar if you're training just for fitness

i think it just has the highest rate of dropout because you have to get beaten up a lot to get good.

i did it for about 8 months but got to the point where to get better i would have had to spar some really tough guys and i wasnt keen to get my shit fucked up regularly. kind of made me lose motivation and i do a lot of other shit like swimming so i havent got in a couple of months.

highly recommend it though, has made me so much more confident knowing i could defend myself if needed.

>i did it for about 8 months but got to the point where to get better i would have had to spar some really tough guys

7 years here. You weren't at any point other than shit; if you weren't total shit then you wouldn't of pussied out of sparring.

Boxing is brain damage central

You're paying money to get hit in the head

Do a real martial art

>2016
>willfully getting a concussion
>thinking you can beat a wrestler of 2 months experience with boxing

Pick the year

what kind of pansy martial art doesn't involve getting hit in the head

>says it takes 2 months to just beat a boxer
>doesn't think its possible for boxers to just learn wrestling for 2 months
>2016

>but....but...i don't want to get hit
>can you just teach me some blocks?

you should do more leg exercises. Your power starts in your legs. Also, i dunno why, maybe its just me, but slipping and just moving out of the way really tires my legs out.... but at the same time my cardio blows

i dont like to fight at all. But i feel alive after a sparring session. so i guess i do like fighting lol

Heh, I know some of that from Mma stand up sparring. You're either gonna outclass someone, be at a stalemate, or be out classed. The room for expanding yourself is somewhere in that mix. Landed a quick jab as some guy was about to pull a hook and it set the fucker off like a firework for some reason. The teacher and 4 other guys jumped in the ring to tackle the sob. The line between learning and getting your shit pushed in is easily distinguished.