Veeky Forums movies

What are some Veeky Forums approved films?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sRSaY65cHOs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Kubrick's_unrealized_projects#The_Burning_Secret_and_Natural_Child
youtube.com/watch?v=4SVC_9V8K5Y
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic_Judaism
youtube.com/watch?v=tbdtdHhXqBM
youtube.com/watch?v=jdgmUHnaSeQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8ukgGMs0HNQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Saving Private Ryan, Fury ,1949 and 2002's Zvezda, Band of Brothers, Come and See - those are the movies I've seen mentioned here and on /k/

What movie about Anne Frank should we get the lead actress of pregnant so we can combine it with pic related and make the ultimate Veeky Forums masterpiece?

youtube.com/watch?v=sRSaY65cHOs

NOT OP’s pic, because it did poorly at the box office and destroyed any chance of Stanley Kubrick making the most epic war film of all time with tens of thousands of extras.

The Last Emperor
The Mission
Aguirre the wrath of God

That's already been made tho

>destroyed any chance of Stanley Kubrick making the most epic war film of all time

Full Metal Jacket got made though.

meant for

>first draft of a script about the Mosby Rangers, a Confederate guerrilla force that was active during the American Civil War

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Kubrick's_unrealized_projects#The_Burning_Secret_and_Natural_Child

>destroyed any chance of Stanley Kubrick making the most epic war film of all time with tens of thousands of extras.

Bro...

youtube.com/watch?v=4SVC_9V8K5Y

This movie has literally thousands of extras used from the Red Army infantry

>Harris and Kubrick discovered Stefan Zweig's novel The Burning Secret, in which a young baron attempts to seduce a young Jewish woman by first befriending her twelve-year-old son, who eventually realizes the actual motives of the baron. Kubrick was enthusiastic about the novel and hired novelist Calder Willingham to write a screenplay; however, Production Code restrictions hindered the realization of the project.

>American and Bolshevik propaganda
Best be bait.

Unforgiven, Deadwood, Russian Ark, Das Boot, Gettysburg, Stalingrad (the German/Czech one), Master & Commander, The Assassination of Jesse James

It's nothing but Napoleon origin story. Other movies were never made. Our only hope for a complete story is that new series that's currently in development.

>Fury

You mean that movie where 200 wehrmacht soldiers with at least a dozen panzershrecks can't take out a disabled sherman?

>After the success of 2001, Kubrick planned a large-scale biographical film about Napoleon Bonaparte.[3] He "tried to see every film that was ever made on the subject," including Abel Gance's Napoléon and the Soviet film series War and Peace, neither of which he liked.[4]
What a tasteless faggot

Yeah. It's not that Veeky Forumstorically accurate, but it's fun to watch. It's not like every WWII movie has tanks with WP rounds.
>Best be bait.
For german propaganda I should take a look at Fridericus-Rex-filmen and "Our mothers, our fathers"

>200 wehrmacht soldiers with at least a dozen panzershrecks

They were Waffen-SS soldiers with Panzerfausts

Yet at some moment they have lost all their panzerfausts and attacked the tank only with rifles and MG-42

Waterloo is top tier kino
>In development
Tell us more user.

It{s a shame this never happened. Would have been like alt his but amazingly good anyway i guess

The Last Emperor.

Well I think HBO is doing this directed by Fukunaga. The thing is it might take a while. Their show about Andrew Jackson (spiritual successor to John Adams) was supposed to come out this year but they haven't even started filming. Apparently there was some disagreement because director wanted a show more favorable to Jackson.

I wasn’t saying Waterloo is a bad movie by any means, but because it did poorly at the box office no studio wanted to finance Kubrick’s passion project.

I want the Philip Glass Hitler/ Chaplin operas more.

>Amerishit

>Saving Private Ryan

this blew my mind when i was 10, and the opening scene still gives me goosebumps (when i dont notice the backwards props) but it has really been outclassed by band of brothers and now i can barely watch it

You mean Paths of Glory but

Could they have chosen a more perfect actor for Chamberlain?

I want to see a biopic/film/miniseries about Farragut's campaign along the Mississippi and the capture/liberation of New Orleans.

it was a very important strategic victory for the union.

>liberation of New Orleans
>liberation

An amazing movie that could never be made these days.

>tfw there will never be another movie that tries to recreate the atmosphere of the 18th century like Barry Lyndo

pretty good but pretty miserable

why even live?

Barry Lyndon is one of the greatest films of all time

>inb4 pleb brainlets who can't understand art say shit like it was boring

Kubrick's greatest work

Also called Generation War I think. Interesting representation of a side of the conflict not usually depicted in films.

Movies that make you root for both sides are truly the greatest form of cinema.

I'm Dixieboo as fuck and I find myself almost cheering on Buford and Chamberlain it's so beautifully made.

still holds up even if a bit dated

IMO they're in two completely different ballparks. SPR is historical fiction, and while it really revamped the playing field when it came to war films if not just for shock, effects, and not really sugar-coating or glamorizing anything, it still had that air of Hollywood heroism.

BoB, on the other hand, is purely historical, with as much effort given to accuracy as possible. Especially with the interviews that they tie in with the actual veterans before each episode, it really drives home the fact that a program as riveting and driving as SPR isn't just a work of fiction but was actually lived by real people.

I mean I love it in its own way, but it is very boring at times. I just admire that Kubrick attempted to recreate the 18th century in much realer sense that most filmmakers do. It's not common, especially nowadays.

The thing with SPR is the effect it has on a person watching for example

>the opening scene still gives me goosebumps

This really represents what SPR was. A fictional representation of a war that put the viewer in the middle of the chaos and made people anxious, sad or disgusted. Band of Brothers isn't so different in the way it is filmed, just that it is based on story's of veterans.

>They were Waffen-SS soldiers

So it's accurate that they lost then?

Passion of the Christ.

One of the most historically accurate movies ever made. They even speak in Aramaic and Latin.

>They even speak in Aramaic and Latin.

Not GREEK?!

although the gospels are written in Greek I don't think the common people living in ancient Palestine actually spoke it to each other in their daily lives

Urbanites all did.

>liberation of New Orleans
Imagine being this much of a Yankee

ah yes in the great urban centres of Bethlehem and Jerusalem

>Jerusalem
>not an urban center
u avin a giggle m8

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic_Judaism

Literally it was the Lingua Franca of the area. Also, when the Jews are speaking to the Romans each would have spoken in Greek to the other.

>Until the fall of the Roman Empire and the Muslim conquests of the Eastern Mediterranean, the main centers of Hellenistic Judaism were Alexandria (Egypt) and Antioch (now Southern Turkey), the two main Greek urban settlements of the Middle East and North Africa area, both founded at the end of the 4th century BCE in the wake of the conquests of Alexander the Great.

this wasn't in Palestine, stupid ass.

English being the world lingua franca doesn't mean that people in France speak English to each other.

Literally read the rest of the article you cretin.

>After Alexander, Palestine was ruled by the Ptolemies and the Seleucids for almost two hundred years. Jewish culture was heavily influenced by Hellenistic culture, and Koine Greek was used not only for international communication, but also as the first language of many Jews.
>The opening verse of Acts 6 points to the problematic cultural divisions between Hellenized Jews and Aramaic-speaking Israelites in Jerusalem, a disunion that reverberated within the emerging Christian community itself: it speaks of "Hellenists" and "Hebrews." The existence of these two distinct groups characterizes the earliest Christian community in Jerusalem. The Hebrews were Jewish Christians who spoke almost exclusively Aramaic, and the Hellenists were also Jewish Christians whose mother tongue was Greek. They were Greek-speaking Jews of the Diaspora, who returned to settle in Jerusalem. To identify them, Luke uses the term Hellenistai. When he had in mind Greeks, gentiles, non-Jews who spoke Greek and lived according to the Greek fashion, then he used the word Hellenes (Acts 21.28). As the very context of Acts 6 makes clear, the Hellenistai are not Hellenes.

>tfw can't get enough of those epic war scenes using hundreds to thousands of extras
Feels bad stuff like that will never come back.

Extras aint cheap no more.

When I was a kid I thought the guy in that poster was defoed or had a wekrd mask. Now I realize it's just him looking downwards

Yeah Germans being like "ayo it wasn't just us look at those countries we conquered they were doing the same stuff"

*Breaks 4th wall*
I made one mistake in my life, I should have burnt Berlin.

Didn't the director use the Red Army as extras for this movie?

Waterloo was fucking great but I didn't like how they portrayed Napoleon as someone who wanted power and glory, instead of someone who hesitantly took on the burden of power for the benefit of his beloved country.

With all the things they did right, I can't believe they characterized Napoleon with that stupid American stereotype of a tyrant who wanted to conquer the world.

It's a bong stereotype, user.

Neeeeeerd

I quite like Napoleon, but to pretend that that he took power reluctantly is quite naive. He expressed distaste with the Directory for his whole career under them and was glad to have them gone. He legitimately thought himself to be the most capable to lead France and so co-opted the Brumaire coup and his own popularity in order to obtain a status of near-kingship. He even admits himself that the primary reason he went to Acre after the battle at Tabor was because he had pretensions of conquering his way to India like Alexander did. He may not have wanted to conquer the world, but he certainly had aspirations of being the next Caesar.
t. Currently reading Napoleon: A Life
[spoiler]I'm not finished with the biography yet, but feel free to explain how he was reluctant to grab power,[/spoiler][spoiler] I'm interested in hearing what you have to say.[/spoiler]

I’ll defend this movie to the death

Everything about those 1950s epics looked better. Sets, costumes, makeup, everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=tbdtdHhXqBM
>no pretty village pretty flame/lepa sela lepo gore
Yall niggas need taste

Reenactors were used for Gettysburg. They work for free.

But then, you can tell that these guys are well-fed and often middle aged. Probably not the state of Lee's army at the time.

I wonder though, how rough military training was in the 60's? Could the drill sergeant just beat you whenever he wanted and choke you?

AFAIK, being in boot camp was like being in another planet in the middle century. They were very very lax about what was happening in the PT. My grandfather was exonerated of any charges after he threw a homosexual man (who tried to cop a feel when grandpa was asleep) out of a 2nd story window during his training for the Korean War as an army ranger. No trial whatsoever.

The Russian Ark is more of an art film. I would recommend that it be watched purely because its a feature length film that is one uninterrupted take

Danton (1983) One of the best movies Ive seen on the French Revolution

youtube.com/watch?v=jdgmUHnaSeQ

Last news of it being in production was 2005

Wonder if it was killed off the in the PC wars.

Ok movie but terrible casting.

Audie Murphy killed or wounded over a hundred German soldiers with an M2 machine gun on a burned out tank destroyer

This. It’s usually hated by historyfags cuz hurrr this isn’t accurate to the real Mayans. Almost like it’s a movie and not a documentary.

Just watched this movie.

Great music and great dueling.

>German propaganda
best be bait.

UNDERRATED

>he director was also going to film the battle scenes in Romania and had enlisted the support of the Romanian army; senior army officers had committed 40,000 soldiers and 10,000 cavalrymen to Kubrick's film for the paper costume battle scenes.
So what happened to them

>Fury

JAaaaaa panzaAAA

youtube.com/watch?v=8ukgGMs0HNQ

>In May 2016, HBO announced that they will produce a miniseries based on Kubrick's screenplay with Cary Fukunaga as director.
So historical game of thrones, yay

>Come and See
Damn. I came to this thread to say this.

We need an answer to this question. But I don't watch Holocaust movies so I can't be of much help.

>he threw a homosexual man (who tried to cop a feel when grandpa was asleep) out of a 2nd story window
that's kind of harsh

Come and see is even much worse, it's 100% ahistorical and false post-war soviet bolshevist atrocity propaganda hoax tales and yet the leftist shits on here keep namedropping it like there's no tomorrow. They need to fuck off back to their bolsheboo leftypol containment board where they belong

Killed the guy, but this would be considered attempted molestation and homo molestation in the 1950’s would have been solved with a baseball bat

>implying that didn't happen

The German movie "Stalingrad" from 1993, though dated, is pretty good. I have a few issues with it but it's still worth watching.

Anyone going to see Darkest Hour?

What issues do you have? My only issue is that they used T-34/85 instead of T-34 because that was the only ones they could get. Still better than modern movies which just CGI that shit in.

>polish review said so

It's a pretty, boring ass movie. Some nice little scenes here and there, but Mel's dick was too hard for the Crucifixion.

Yep. Jokingly said they had the 5th largest army in the world while filming.

>he thinks post-war German movies are German propaganda
top lel

t. Schmulik Avi Bagelstein

What I want to see in the future is more shit that's like Generation Kill and about the war on terror but from the lowly infantryman's point of view

HBO should do GK version of the war in Afghanistan, but hopefully no special forces shit, maybe about some guys signing up after 9/11 and then their experiences over there

Politics aside, approved?

Y/N?