Catholicism & Orthodoxy

Hello, Veeky Forums.

Muslim user here. Lately I have taken queer interest in Christianity. In order to quench the thirst for knowledge that I felt I heavily researched the only forms of Christianity that I knew: Catholicism and its rogue son, Protestantism.

This may sound weird but I didn't know that Eastern Orthodoxy was a thing until very lately. I did research the main differences between Catholicism and Orthodoxy and I succeeded in understanding the geographical and political differences but I can't for the life of me understand the theological differences: "Ecumenical," "Liturgy,"... as a Muslim those words don't ring a bell no matter how much I research them. It's all fancy words explained with even fancier concepts.

So, if two regular people with no political agendas, one Catholic and one Orthodox, sat down in a pub and had a religious debate. What would they disagree about?

Pls no /pol/ bullshit. I expect serious contributions and a serious debate if there needs to be one.

Other urls found in this thread:

brill.com/islamic-ecumenism-20th-century
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salah
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filioque
orthodoxwiki.org/Aerial_Toll-Houses
youtube.com/watch?v=F5EPs9EqIsc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>a religious debate. What would they disagree about?
They have better things to do, and so do you.

Thanks for the contribution, faggyt

>The role of the bishop of Rome
>Papal infallibility
>Filioque
>Leavened vs unleavened bread for communion
>Guilt and original sin
>Nature of Heaven and Hell

There's a few.

The Catholic Church teaches purgatory meanwhile the Orthodox Church teaches that the sins of the unrepentant cannot be forgiven.

The Catholic Church is a meme

>purgatory

So if I follow the Roman Church I can sin as much as I want and just repent in purgatory? This sounds retarded.

Purgatory is a process of purification before you go to heaven. It's a temporary punishment for the impure people that were destined to go to heaven.

There is no mention of it in the Bible, it only exists in Catholic doctrine. Purgatory was completely made up by the Catholic Church for some reason.

No, you have to repent before you die. Purgatory is just the temporal punishment that our sins merit through life, even if they were confessed.
Temporal punishment for sins is everywhere on the bible, especially in the old testament.
Funny, the greek patriarch, along with other Orthodox intellectuals like David Bentley Hart have expressed universalist views, facing no reprimand. Care to explain?

>I can sin as much as I want and just repent in purgatory?
No? Purgatory is for mostly good people who aren't quite purified enough for heaven before they die.
You can't for example murder people and expect to just make up for it in purgatory.

>Ecumenical
brill.com/islamic-ecumenism-20th-century

>Liturgy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salah

>What would they disagree about?
Filioque
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filioque
Stuff about the role of the Pope.
Nature of sin.

>Orthodox Church teaches that the sins of the unrepentant cannot be forgiven
you don't know anything about the nature of purgatory but regardless, orthodox do have a concept of purgatory
orthodoxwiki.org/Aerial_Toll-Houses
the only meme is you.

Τhis pretty much
The split happened because the pope felt like hot shit after the germanic tribes converted and no longer felt like he needed help from the empire, so he eventually made up filioque to create a shitstorm and have an excuse to split and not have to answer to anyone for anything he decides

>Eph 6:12-13
R-really?
What about this passage has anything to do with death? Or the migration of the soul?

>For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual host of wickedness in the heavenly places.
It should be self-evident.

It's self evident that Paul is talking about our day to day struggles as not being against men and women but the forces of the enemy, and I see nothing here which implies a series of stations through which a soul must do battle with demons or risk eternal damnation.

>spiritual host of wickedness in the heavenly places.
You are retarded you can't discern.

Yes, that will convince me of you expert exegesis, calling me a retard instead of helping me see how this relates, at all, to the process of death, and the migration of the soul, through specific stations, upon my demise. The entire chapter is talking about normative daily life advice, and I can't see how this passage justifies anything other than a mortal, temporal, and in-life combat against our enemy.

Christianity can be disproved with an honest reading of the Torah/Tanakh.

I'm not an expert, mate. But at the same time you struck me as hostile to the idea, which should have been partially clear.

I'm hostile to anyone passing off a soteriological doctrine on questionable Biblical exegesis.

So you are a fool, because it's obvious how the challenge posed by wicked spiritual beings in heavenly places would apply to the souls ascent though heaven.

Again, I see zero indication that anything in this chapter has anything to do with death, because the rest of the chapter is entirely life advice, but instead of helping me understand you call me a fool for not understanding.

youtube.com/watch?v=F5EPs9EqIsc

Or even the New Testament on its own. That's why so few Paulians actually read the Bible.

Lets see
>Starts out with salutation
>talks about metaphysics and mystery for the first half of the letter
That is not "life advice" as you erroneously believe. Do you have the correct letter in front of you? Where do you get life advice from?

>Ephesians 6:17
>Making supplements for all the Saints
How can protashits justify this?

>Where do you get life advice from?
The Bible.

>Do you have the correct letter in front of you
Yeah, Ephesians, Chapter 6. Begins with a discussion on TEMPORAL AUTHORITY AND OBEDIENCE. Transitions into a discussion about the PROTECTION OF GOD, not the structure of heaven, not the movements of the soul, but the protection OF YOUR obedience to God, AGAINST THOSE who would impede your obedience, and finally the ending salutation.

you don't know the truth. principalities = archons. this isn't a temporal matter. the armour of God is for the ascent into heaven. Time is nothing.

>principalities = archons
ArchAS, not archON.
Archon IS used in Ephesians. 2:2, referring to a spiritual entity. ArchON seems to be used for Christ in some contexts, even then Archon is more often used for magistrates, etc.

Strong's is showing that ArchAS is just about exclusively used for temporal power, which puts an even more interesting spin on the passage, imho. Everyone but Tischendorf has Archas at Hebrews 1:10, and T has Archas meaning "rulership" in context.

This is why a little bit of Greek can be a bad thing.