Emperor Aurelian perished by the hand of the Praetorian Guard before he could campaign against the Persians...

Emperor Aurelian perished by the hand of the Praetorian Guard before he could campaign against the Persians, and many months later, the Senate has chosen YOU to rule the Roman Empire. Many problems pester the empire, from the ever rising popularity of the Christians to the plagues and barbarian incursions near the Rhine and the Danube.

How could you better the state of the Roman Empire? Will you choose to follow in Aurelian's footsteps? Or will you forge a new path to lead the Empire to glory?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_(emperor)#Emperor
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i get killed by the praetorian guard because im a filthy oriental with no legitimacy and has the charisma of a rotten potato.

aurelian was a more military-capable heraclius. if aurelian hadnt been assassinated to end his short reign you could be sure he would have made huge administrative fuck ups due to his insane draconian punishment policies.

>declare an imperial vacation to Gaul
>leave praetorian guard behind
>head straight to one of the legions on the Rhine
>give charismatic speech on how there has been a coup in Rome and the praetorian guard is seeking to assist a barbarian invasion to solidify their own power
>have legion swear personal oath of loyalty to me and no one else
>march on Rome
>murder literally all the praetorian guards
>reward loyal legion with part of the imperial treasury and send them back to Gaul
>domestic politics calm down after a good show of force
>time to go east, to war
Continue?

any answer that cant be summarized with "the praetorian guard hates what you are trying to do and slits your throat in your sleep before declaring their own emperor" is hopelessly naive and thoughtless.

How can you be so certain? Surely he would've been competent in administrating an empire, considering his advanced age of sixty.

One can always ask for more. Sure do.

OK here goes
>head out east to set up shop in Judea
>Rome has gotten better at fighting Persia since Crassus got BTFO
>it involves discipline and tactical maneuver and is basically a constant pain in the ass
>strike during winter when grass for Persian horses won't be as plentiful
>attempt to do as much damage to Persia as possible then withdraw when the spring comes
>set up a constant system of fucking with enemy logistical support to erode their ability to fuck up Roman shit
>eventually hand off the day to day ops to a moderately trustworthy general and return to Rome
>implement expansions of Roman road networks and farmlands to supply more land for retiring veterans to come home too and trade their goods
>live luxuriously and die at the ripe old age of 45
There you are

>no Roman Emperor ever had the SAME thought or approach to do this
user you are that stupid I want to necrobump this thread from the vestige of death to mock you for it

>doesnt offer his own solution to the question
> makes fun of a somewhat decent answer while providing no actual criticism to it
Classic Veeky Forums

I'm making fun of you for thinking you claimed an original concept when Roman Emperors have attempted that strategy futilely for centuries with little to no success, you dork. Hell the Persians like the Parthians used primarily noblemen and feudal soldiers deputized for seasonal wars and the Romans were fucking aware of this and the Persians still had tremendous success in their invasions and attacks on the Roman East.

So its kind of asinine that you think what you wrote was some how innovative.

If you read carefully, you would know I didn't fucking write that answer.
>the Persians still had tremendous success in their invasions and attacks
only when they solved internal disputes with each succession.

And so you're telling me constantly raiding their borders yearly for many years would not weaken their empire? You know the Persians had other enemies too right?

You did write that answer, or at least unsubtley implicated it.
>only when they solved internal disputes with each succession
The Persians had less dynastic civil disputes and succession crises leading into civil wars then the Romans and Byzantines did.
>you know the Persians had other enemies too right?
You know the Romans had other enemies too right?

Aurelian was one of the very few emperors who had the foresight to even attempt to do anything about Rome's ridiculously debased coinage. He built walls around Rome which would save the city numerous times throughout history. He came up with the idea of promoting a single deity in order to unify the empire before it was cool (Constantine). He was among the first emperors to realise the benefits of establishing an overtly autocratic system, even using "Dominus Et Deus" before Diocletian did. He showed clemency to enemies who surrendered and used this to its full potential.

If anything Aurelian was one of the most underrated administrators Rome ever had. Not to mention one of its greatest commanders. He was genuinely a brilliant ruler

My man my solution to the eastern issue would be to secure an alliance, id rather not fuck with Sassanian horse archers

> Bahram II, Bahram III, Narseh, Adhur Narseh, Bahram IV, Shapur IV, Khosrow, Hormizd III, Balash, Djamasp, Kavadh I, Hormizd IV, Bahram VI, Khosrow II, Vistahm, Shahrbaraz, Hormizd V, Hormizd VI, Khosrow IV, Khosrow V, Shapur V, Peroz II, Azarmidokht
> 24/44 rulers all had either succession crises, revolted or had many revolts against the throne.
nice meme

But yeah I agree on your point that the Romans also had other issues than the Sassanians

Create armada and launch it to conquer the Mayans and invade mesoamerica, the Andean city states. And set up colonies in Brazil, and noth America.
Use new found wealth from american silver production I would set up a militia of raiders along the frontier to launch raids into germania and eventually subjugate the tribes by destroying their populations.
Convert to Christianity and declare it the state religion of the Roman Empire.

Put a permanent moratorium on Christianity, create a "police" force to root out all the cultists. End the Praetorian guard (preferably by having them torn apart by one of my legions), bodyguard duty is now created by drawing a lot from among the first cohorts. Abandon Britain and strengthen the continental side of the Saxon shore, also try and create a fortification line along the Persian border, with the only reason to go past it to raze the shit out of Mesopotamia to make it harder for them to encroach.

>the Senate has chosen YOU to rule the Roman Empire
Hahaha, fat chance. Probably some praetorians or legatus installed me.
First course of action - suck their dicks to avoid being killed

Reform the Imperial Cult into a proper religion so it can fend off Christianity, declare Jesus a god just like any other and put his statue in the Pantheon, encourage diversity among Christians by granting them freedom of religion but forbidding them from forming organizations that span more than a small region.

Next, build an army and invade Germany, not to conquer it but to exterminate as many Germs as possible and drive them off into the steppe, basically what the Chinks did to the Yue. Build a new set of 'limes' along the natural borders of Pommerania and Silesia and along the Carpathians. Institute a full horsebreeding programme in Pannonia, so the Empire always has substantial numbers of cavalry to fight off future threats, Agree with the Persians to respect their territory if they will respect ours. Also, conquer Arabia to kill of Islam before it can be founded.

Finally, institute a reform to the post of Emperor, make it an elected monarchy like the HRE, and disband the Praetorian Guard.

>invent heavy plough
>European population will explode 400 years earlier
>draw an accurate map of the world, pointing out valuable resources
>die knowing that I've ensured European dominance for eternity

Except the heavy plough was invented around this time anyway.

Tacitus, Aurelian's successor, was actually chosen by the Senate to become emperor. The army backed him and he successfully gained the throne to the Roman Empire. Though he died of a year later of a fever.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_(emperor)#Emperor

This user is right, the Romans already had a form of heavy plough in the late 3rd to 4th century. I think you mean the type of heavy plough called Carruca and the crop rotation technique called the Three-field system.

>Germany, not to conquer it but to exterminate as many Germs as
From Which country you are?
You might as well want kill your ancestors

Do you have light features such as pale skin, light eyes and hair?

>Persia stonk

Do you realize that without the Jewish rebellion, Trajan would have completed his conquest of Persia? The Parthian kingdom was de facto a client state of Rome.

Parthians werent persians, they were iranians just like persians

Noone were Persians a millennia before nationalism.

What you said, however, is equivalent to:
Bavarians weren't Germans. They were Deutsch just like Germans.

You guys dont understand

Parthians were an iranian tribe, persians were an iranian tribe too

Their language werent the same but was similar as both were iranian language

Parthians were part hellenized thanks to those greek niggers

>Purge or disband the Praetorian Guard
>Arrange treaty with migrating Goths. Send them all to Syria or Armenia and let the Sassanids deal with them.
>Abandon Britannia. Send Legions in Britannia to assist Rhine limes
>Declare Sol Invictus cult as Rome's national religion
>Decrease the amount of authority that each general could have
I fixed Rome

Parthians and Persians were obviously different people. Parthians were nomads who were part of Dahae, while the Persians lived in what is now Shiraz area. They're just same Iranians.

you forgot to ban slavery and wipe out rich landowners in italy and gaul and distribute it to citizen soldiers in the legions

The Romans weren't even able to found successful dynasties that lasted longer than a century and still fucked up with civil war, assassinations, usurpation, and internal conflict, so they are still far worse.

And literally 80% of those Sassanian members you mentioned were all after the last Persian-Roman War from 628 AD and onwards, which is nonsensical and an outlier given its when shit went down with the resurgence of Justinian's Plague and the Sassanian family literally annihilating itself in constant civil wars. Dynastic disputes are less common before that by a metric fuck ton in terms of quantification.
>Persian horse archers
No what fucked Romans were Persian cataphracts.

Parthians always lived next to the Persians in Parthia, a fucking province directly adjacent to Pars in the Iranian Plateau. The Dahae Confederation did not bring Parthians into mainland Iran, the Arsacids were originally the rulers of the Dahae tribes that took residence in Pars and Parthia, and mainly were from the Parni tribe. The Parthians were the same as the Persians since the Mede times.