Is it a good decisions to buy gold knowing that we are on the brink of the next financial meltdown?

Is it a good decisions to buy gold knowing that we are on the brink of the next financial meltdown?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_revolution
fastcompany.com/40419405/theres-gold-and-platinum-and-cobalt-in-them-thar-asteroids
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gold has held it's value across the ages and won't stop doing so any time soon.

I prefer silver but that's just me. Either way, you want to have bullion long term, not USD.

I started buying back in 2014 when it was about £700 per ounce, now I got a stack of about 22 ounces. According to Ag doctors the value of gold is supposed to skyrocket anytime soon.

It's a good decision to buy gold (or silver) whenever you have the chance. The paper market for those has completely manipulated the price but the day of reckoning for (((them))) will be here soon.

The problem with silver for me is lack of space for storage.

Smart goyem.

I hear that.

silver lost 90% its value since the 80s nigger

>World mined gold production has peaked four times since 1900: in 1912, 1940, 1971, and 2001, each peak being higher than previous peaks. The latest peak was in 2001, when production reached 2,600 metric tons, then declined for several years.[5] Production started to increase again in 2009, spurred by high gold prices, and achieved record new highs each year from 2011 through 2015, when production reached 3,100 tonnes. Early estimates of 2016 gold production indicate that it was flat to 2015 production, at 3,100 tonnes.

kek

You won't be able to trade buttcoins when the EMP blasts happens.

If you really think there is going to be a financial meltdown, ask yourself how bad you think it will be. Same as 2008? Sure, buy some precious metals. Worse than 2008? Look at food stores, water stores and guns/ammo.

youre betting against a metal valued by people 10000 years ago

This. And the funny thing is people are so brainwashed by globe-Earth government propaganda that they don't realize the EMP blast will cover the entire world's plane.

No, it's a scam. They premined several thousand blocks at minimal difficulty.

There was one massive spike in the 80's- that's not representative of the overall value. I am not recommending it as a short term investment. This is something you'll be holding onto for 50+ years.

kek

True, but gold and silver aren't for some Mad Max level shit. What makes crypto weak is that it does not physically exist. It's a great means of exchange, but it's valued in fiat, and all fiat dies. When fiat dies, crypto is worthless because it has no intrinsic value to fall back on. Gold and silver do.

wrong pic

If mad max taught me anything, its that being a leather trader is the most profitable business in the wasteland, everybody wears them.

Goddamn I hope I don't live 50 more years, no silver for me thanks.

> (OP)
and today

people will pay $1300 an OZ for that shit! top kek!

not only is it tied to fiat but its also tied to electricity and the internet, thus it needs 3 things just to exist... meanwhile a bar of silver will be here long after you are

kek

>intrinsic value of gold and silver
wut

uh oh its another edition of "gold and silver" are better than crypto...how many fucking threads do we have to have of this, on a weekly basis, to realize there is no such thing as intrinsic value.

everything is subjective and 'value' does not have a fixed, constant state.

gold/silver were badass back in the olden days before technology.

now that we live in a hyper-technology-fetishized world where even dumb women get wet about tech, and see its value, then tech-based assets have value. it's not rocket science to accept this.

and by the way, i am a gold/silver lover and bought gold/silver for the past 2 years instead of buying crypto and now i'm regretting it massively.

Gold doesn't produce income it's dead money. Have fun barely beating inflation, if even.

arguably land and people have intrinsic value, and probably the only 2 things that do

Gold and silver are both used by the tech industry in their physical components tho..

Except when people show up with guns and take your gold say... These guys.

So honestly if there is an economic meltdown, guns, ammo, canned food, bottle water (and water filters), generators, and solar power would be more important.

Also farm and hunting equipment.

If you stay in the city, chances are someone will take your gold if you are unarmed. Either looters or government officials.

Gold and silver have historically had value for tens of thousands of years, and our collective psychology isn't going to do a 180 overnight. Crypto, on the other hand, could possibly. While I'm all in on BTC and see nothing wrong with investing in it, it's unarguable that gold and silver have proven lasting value. That user does have a great point that stonks can go b00m and you'll always have a piece of silver in your hand. This isn't a philosophy thread; we're not debating intrinsic meaning or value- it's about the cultural norms that have been in effect since like 20,000 B.C. and the fact that precious metals will still be highly valued in 100 years. That said, I am not investing in gold... not right now. I am 22, have ~10k in assets, and realize this is a time to grow my wealth rather than store it. When I get to the point where I'm actually putting money aside, when I expect it to retain it's value for the duration of my lifetime, then I will be buying gold, because that's something I know I can cash out at comparable value when I'm 90 or pass on. BTC is definitely a better /investment/. There's a big difference between long and short term investments. Gold is NOT a short term investment- you will make zero money off it. Definitely should have bought crypto.

>economic meltdown to the medieval age
>bitcoin doesnt exist because computers dont exist
>but gold has value as a tech component

>This guy keeps his gold in a location that would be accessible to bandits in a post-apocalyptic scenario, or robbers in the current year.
Shiggy Diggy DON'T

yep, end of discussion

in a major economic meltdown, having gold/silver would be useful if you intend to trade it for other things, or to store value while surviving.

but have you ever tried to be mobile while holding silver? it's fucking heavy. i've tried walking around with 20-30 oz of silver and it was a burden, even though it's light, it gets tiring after while. gold obviously is much more concentrated in value per oz. so you don't need a lot of it.

but if you already have water, supplies and weapons, you really don't need "currencies" unless you intend to really survive for another 10+ years after the apocalypse without having to acquire more value.

if anyone really thinks that shit will hit the fan, and that crypto will be inaccessible once the power grid goes down, then just go live in the woods and get a head start. there must be places in alaska where no one will bug you as long as you keep a low profile.

>ill just say kek, thatll show him!

There are different kinds of crises. What you're describing is a total obliteration scenario. What I've been discussing (far more likely), is the crash of the USD.

its hypothetical anyway
it takes a lot more than an economic meltdown for society to fall, there have been massive crashes in the past but it didnt reset civilisation to the start.
for that to happen you need a civil war or something

>premining joke
kek
>flat earth meme
kek
>that last one
I think I meant to reply directly to that. I have 6 months of food stored, iodine tablets, and guns.

Exactly. I'm talking about the fall of the dollar, which is possible within this lifetime. Picture 1930's Germany, buying bread with a wheelbarrow of cash. In a scenario like that, gold would be very valuable and allow you to retain wealth/move to another country. It'd be effective for the EMP meme as well.

Africa didn't recover from for decades when a famous gold whale, Musa Masa, dumped his gold shitcoins across for a pilgrimage.

for me, it's facepaints

You do realize if there ever is a global financial meltdown you will have an easier time selling your mouth and asshole then you will selling some rock that we put value on when there was an economy.

See

Oh and if its just a bad depression say like the economic depression where society is sort of still in tact, the government will still come for your gold like they did in the 1930's:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

I guess you could bury it in the woods or something, but people got metal detectors.

Also, ever try to haggle with people who don't know what the worth of gold is? Its just as bad with the internet when you can look up ebay on what a coin is worth etc.

But if no one knew what the price of gold really was... Well... "Just give me those five cans of soup for this one gold coin? Yeah that works I guess?"

Through every bullshit meltdown that the world has had, gold has most always been accepted as having value eventually by someone. It is the crypto before crypto: a random thing that humanity, for some reason, has decided to store value in. If America fell and you had a stash of gold, in 50 years you could go dig up that gold and exchange it to someone for value.

Dude. Do you even study history?

Spanish actually collapse their economy because they had gold inflation from the loot in the New World.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_revolution

>The failure of the Spanish to control the influx of gold and the price fluctuations of gold and silver from the American mines, combined with war expenditures, led to three bankruptcies of the Spanish monarchy by the end of the 16th century.

Also the world's largest owner of gold is the US government.

I was going to say "But to be fair... It is unlikely that we find new major sources of gold like the Americas" but...

fastcompany.com/40419405/theres-gold-and-platinum-and-cobalt-in-them-thar-asteroids

So if you buy gold and they start mining asteroids, then well your fucked.

That doesn't mean you have to give it to them. Do you seriously think you're incapable of keeping your gold away from the government? How sad.

Depends on what kind of government we end up after the next depression.

If its fascist or communist, then well... They'll just drone strike your house.

gold is only useful if theres some kind of market structure still in place so theres some idea of what gold can be traded for.
when the roman political structure collapsed you still had roman currency circulating because the markets were still trading across the mediterranean well into the 6th and 7th centuries.
if theres no market, gold isnt worth shit, it goes straight to barter

Two brothers tried to corner the silver market in the early eighties. Industrial applications for silver are increasing. Gold's store of value comes from the effort required to produce it. Paper gold (ETF's) is interesting but in the end it's a matter of trust that the gold reserves are actually in the vaults.

After the civil war, people that had a jar of valuable buried in the back yard definitely had an advantage over those that had nothing. I would think a small amount of gold to get yourself back on your feet and then invest in useful skills.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

and i guarantee you, if that was me knocking on the door, id have a way of making you give up your stash.

asian girls, i am also accumulating fellow whale

underrated

kek

Silver or Gold? Already got multiple gold stacks

Anons worried about the next financial crisis should be looking for ways to cash out and buy the dips. PM and crypto rise during those times so look to sell high and buy low. In extreme cases, I doubt anyone would get nearly the full value from their PM by bartering, unless they were bartering with an undercover agent. Emergency items, protection, and other necessities would be a better option for bartering.

>muh muh muh emps

lol as if you a pseudointellectual facebook trashperson will survive 3 days in an EMP collapse

>down 27% in the last 5 years
>held its value

If shit hits the fan you're better off investing in guns, ammo, and medicine. Head over to /k/ I'm sure they have a whole list for you

bbut its up 31% over 15 years!

Accumulating AZN QTs, fucking brilliant! How many satoshi are they... I'll buy them on the dip