/Judo/ General

I am new to Judo and really enjoy it. What are some specific workouts or tips to improve balance, strength, and overall skill? I am currently doing strong lifts but I want to specialize.
Pic Related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NG6FJKIZ13g
youtube.com/watch?v=NE-TFSCLUNw
youtube.com/watch?v=jhA2trj0cdo
youtube.com/watch?v=q-MGFI1E6Uk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo#Weight_divisions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anything that involves pulling towards you. Going to need a lot of that.

What type of pulling movements are you talking about? I normally do barbell rows and pull ups

Do more Judo to get better at it, and lift weights alongside that. Pretty much it.

T-thanks senpai

>improve balance
Do gymnastics, rolls, break falls, etc. Maybe try slackline? I'd say best way to get better balance is just working on your footwork.

>strength
Try rubber bands training. It will help with griping \ pulling \ explosivness.

youtube.com/watch?v=NG6FJKIZ13g
youtube.com/watch?v=NE-TFSCLUNw
youtube.com/watch?v=jhA2trj0cdo

>overall skill
Drill stuff, spar and compete. It's usually a good idea to sometimes visit other gyms and learn some bjj, sambo(if you are in post-soviet area) or even no-gi wrestling. But since you are new, just really, drill more.

There is no specific exercises that will make you better at judo without you ever leaving lifting gym, so i'd suggest just gaining muscle mass(as long as raising weight class is not a problem for you), do stretches, maybe focus on core+back. Stamina and endurance is more important if you plan to compete, so circuit training might be a good idea.
But generally, yeah, its like said.

Thanks Judobro!
I will study up

Judokas used to attach a rope to a tree and do their techniques.

Where would you suggest getting resistance bands that are the right size?

Do some forearm training for grip strength too.

Thank you! I'll try this out

Would you suggest interchanging between rope and bands?

judo is a martial art for bullies and overall cunts in general, I've never encountered a judoka who wasnt a complete scumbag who either went full on with noobs or sandbagged in tournaments, it's declining popularity and eventual extinction makes me happy

How would you suggest training to be an overall cunt?
Should I do 5 sets of gtfo my thread?

i suggest the walk into mmagym, be an overall dickhead and get sparked by an am fighter for bullying people program, it's popular enough with judo guys

Seems fun :D
I don't want trouble friend
I just want to be the very best, that no one ever was

Reroll brazillian jiu-jitsu is my best tip.

I've done both, and BJJ is more fun

What is the main difference?

emphasis on groundwork in BJJ

>"Weightlifting is bad for BJJ, it'll make you all stiff and rigid."

I hear this most of the time, but surely it's just a meme? I know that technique is miles better over using strength but having technique and the strength of a bull puts your game way above others.

Anyone here an actual successful judoka who does lifting on the side? How do you combine both if you do judo x2 a week and want to lift x3 too? I used to lift in the morning and do judo class in the evening but it's not ideal

What for a bad fucking meme is that??

OP Here
This is exactly what I am doing
(except I'm also doing yoga 3xweek as well)

In terms of exercises for judo, i really don't do them. Focus on Stronglifts. It trains your core like nothing else, which you need to throw people and to escape pins with. Even foot sweeps come from the core.

If you really want to, Neil Adams has a lot of videos on judo specific stuff, also BeyondGrappling on Youtube is great.

I am told that I need to relax my body and work on exploding at the right time. Do you know any movements or practices that can help me with that? When I relax I feel off balance and unprotected. (Too much American football training)

Power cleans. Every athlete does them. The name says it, it traines power/explosiveness. But it's a hard exercise to learn correctly, that's why it's not included in SL (but is in SS). Once you get the hang of it, it will replace rows.

In randori, try to move around, don't stiff arm. Try throwing as much as possible, you will see in some situations it's easier than others.

I've done power cleans before but I can't parallel it to forward/backward motions. The movement around preparing for the action is the hard part.
I will try it out I've only thrown Seoi Nage but once I learn another one, everyone will be on their backs

1/2

Focus on stretching, a LOT, forearm and core strength should really be a focus (planks are a basic exercise).

Used to train 7 to 8 hours a week. 2hours where just for the following exercises, if you're not already doing it, ask your gym: (and sorry for the names i'm french)

>Climb the tree:
youtube.com/watch?v=q-MGFI1E6Uk

variants:
-climb the tree from between the legs of your partner, then over right and left shoulder.
-Don't switch when you touch the floor, reset and start again until the squirrel does 5 reps.

The objective is not to touch the ground, this is a great exercise, helps with balance and burns your legs like a motherfucker when you are the tree. great for arm, grip and leg strength as well as balance when you are the squirrel.

>Carry the dead man: (local term)

Grab the judogi sleeve of your partner, right arm over right shoulder, alternate after rest
Bend slightly your torso and carry him around the mats, partner has to raise his knees as high as possible during the whole thing of course he has to be sideways across your back for that.

Variants:
-Use a punching bag, with some string or cord to grab.

Good luck with that one, balance and grip strength for the carrier, core strength for the dead.

>One man army:

You fight against as much people as possible, they will come at you as hard as they can, your goal is to defend, only people with a higher belt than you. You finish a fight a soon as there is a ippon on you, onto the next, no breaks, of course you can give up.

variant:
-On the knees, for balance
-In the dark (not kidding) obviously go slower the objective is to visualize and predict movements [ great help with developing "tricking" techniques as well, ie bait the opponent into throwing himself at you on a advantaging posture for you]

My favorite, you will die, the objective is to train your endurance until it fails and train your mind dealing with loss, losing face and insurmountable odds.

>Grab the tail
Cut a kids belt into long strips, take one and slide it under your belt in the back, opponent does the same, fight as to grab the "tail" defend and attack as much as you can.

Variant:
-on your knees.

Great way to train balance, defensive and attacking postures, helps with strategies too.

>Flip the turtle
Opponent is on his back and will stay that way during the whole fight, you have to flip him, using your techniques or raw strength, anything is permitted. opponent has to defend however he can.

Variant:
-in the dark

great stuff too. speed and technique are a must, gripping strength too.

There you go, hope it helps...

That was 2/2.

Based jigoro for post purposes.

Thank you senpai. I will definitely start this training.
Where did you find this training? Internet? Local?

Instead of regular pull-ups, hang your gi on the bar, grip it on the lapel and do pull ups using that.

How much better is it to use a gi then a towel?

That's what i did around 2 hours a week every week for about 8 years in my local club, along with rope climbing, body weight exercises and assisted stretching (pic related except a buddy pushes your legs down, so painful it seems like it's for hours).

We trained pretty seriously, at 15yrs old you can join the adult classes.
I chose to and got my ass kicked every night, really hard too, what helped us for such a focus was because 40 to 50% were police and military people.

Did you do any gym lifting or weight lifting program?

S T E V E N

At the time no, these days yes but i stopped judo.

Like i said, focus on core strength and forearm for grip. Other anons told it like it is, strength and balance will come thru a lot of effort.

My name isn't Steven but good guess

Thank you Judobro I feel a lot more prepared. I really want to try to compete, it looks like such a fun sport once you're knowledgeable

It really is, good luck man.

For competition, you'll be in weight classes so be careful [at least i was], body weight is an advantage in the sport, submissions are easier to gain and the opponent tires in minutes.

Aim for lower classes, and don't get caught in higher ones.

Also, ippon are great but focus on the basics, don't just aim for that one perfect throw.
My master used to say it is like a chess game, except the guy against you want to slam you into the ground.

I weigh 195lbs and I'm 6'
What weight class is that?
I am maintaining weight right now but losing BF. Which weight class would you suggest? I like the fact that it's a technique game and not just who pumped more jooce

strength honestly isn't necessary for judo until you get to club level or local competitions.

most of the throws in judo were grounded in the idea that a smaller opponent could defeat a larger one through manipulation of their own bodyweight, understanding the laws of physics and then applying it through simple force, redirection of momentum, and angle positioning and leverage.

it's good to incorporate lifts while practicing judo though, since both are constrained by physics and an understanding of how a barbell moves through space will honestly get you pretty far when understanding how your body moves in relation to an opponent in a judo throw/match/randori.

The idea behind that is if you become overly bulky. Adding lean muscle is always be beneficial.

when I practiced Judo with my college club I realized how helpful having an understanding of lifting weights and how a barbell moves in relation to the body is when dealing with the principles of judo. if my left foot was a bit off center my entire base was unbalanced and i would get swept often by harai goshi. if I charged forward and used unnecessary energy to propel myself at my partner they could just drop seoinage and use my own momentum to throw me onto the ground. in the snatch or clean, people have a tendency to put too much strength and power into the vertical ascent of the barbell, so much that they forget the principle of "just enough."

honestly judo and olympic weightlifting go hand-in-hand

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo#Weight_divisions
Should answer your questions on the english system, when i said aim lower is to go down enough so you pass highest weight on a division lower than yours.

Technique is very important practice all of them and i mean really practice them, don't just focus on a few, but you also need to be on top of : flexibility, speed, explosive strength/speed, balance and core strength.

A sharp clear mind is also a basic, panicking is not going to help when a bad fall took your breath and the guy responsible carried on with groundwork and is now locking your elbow in a really painful position to make you tap out.

The exercise one man army i told before really helps with that, endless waves of stronger guys throwing you around like nothing is upsetting but very very humbling, you learn how to resit, how to defend even when your lungs are trying their best to come out thru your mouth.

Never really used a towel. I assume it's about the same. Ideally is gi obviously though.

Ive done both and found judo was more fun
>opinions