Starting strength vs 5x5

What's better

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/uyuwms.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do This its the accessories for starting strength for proportion.

you will get virtually the same results in the end
just pick the one that you'll stick to

let's compare them then
SS from 3rd edition book
SL from the website

>3x5 vs 5x5
this matters little in the beginning, but as you get to heavier weights, it will matter a lot
5x5 is considerably more volume than 3x5 when you're squatting 100kg+ three times per week
even SL cuts down the volume when you have to re-set the weight 3 times
so SL 5x5 turns into SL 3x5 after the lifter starts getting seriously stuck

>beginning weight + progression
this is the biggest one in my opinion
SL has you starting with the bar for 3 of the lifts, and has you only adding 2.5kg every workout
this is an exceptional waste of time
if you're a male in your 20s with some experience from football or something
then you could possibly squat 1 plate (60kg) on your first day
why the FUCK you would you spend weeks upon weeks to get to the point were you can push yourself?
I'm not saying starting with the bar is wrong, but you should be progressing much faster once you get the technique down
SS has you finding your beginning weight individually - MUCH better

>power clean vs pendlay row
who cares really?
power clean will train your force production and explosive power
pendlay row is a nice row variation that targets the back

in the end
SS is written by a fat Texan who believes cardio is immoral
SL is written by a kebab internet marketer

SS is better. Less volume, faster progression

Ss is miles better, even if you sub out pc for rows

Greyskull is superior to both
a.pomf.cat/uyuwms.pdf

greyskull is worse than both of them.

SS is easily better. SL is not bad, but every change from SS made the routine worse so there's absolutely no reason to do it instead of SS.

>literally ss with better deloads, body symmetry, and VIF management
Why do you say it is worse?

the only 5x5 programs that are highly regarded/respected are the ones where the first two sets are warm up sets... So 3x5 worksets

So 3x5 really is the same as 5x5 only with (usually) more warm up sets

SL is made by a marketing fag
SS is made by an experienced strength coach

if my lower back is weak and it affects my deadlift. how should i train it to now over train it?

Dyel?

Idk the question but deadlifts are the solution to weak back

He says that because Trappy said so

Do glute-ham raises for assistance.

back extensions

The only thing SS needs is an app because SL is more convenient if you need guidance every 5 seconds

Ah, that makes sense.

I kinda miss him, he was not infallible, but he spoondfed lots of legit info to noobs.
I dont think anyone else has the patience to do that so fucking often

5x5 is too time-wasteful

on SS you squat 3 times a week, press 3 times a week and pull 3 times a week.

on GS you squat 2 times a week, press 3 times a week and pull 1 time a week. it also includes this AMRAP shit with is completely useless for a beginner.

Literally nobody "needs" guidance every 5 seconds.

If you were self-sufficient, you wouldn't be a neet

5x5 with accessory splitting exercises and days as follows.

Legs
Squat
3 accessories that target calves, hamstrings, anterior/interior hip flexors

Push
Bench Press
OHP
Accessory x3 that targets lower chest, tricep, anterior deltoid

Pull
Deadlift
Accessory x 4 that targets lats, anterior bicep head, forearms and upper inner back

1 2 3 in that order rotate through rest as necessary never more than 4 days between a specific muscle group. Change workout based upon fastest gained muscle and work harder on stuff that lags behind for A E S T H E T I C S

On gs you press 3x a week and pull 3x a week

A set of row (horizontal pull) for every set of bench.
A set of chin for every set of ohp.

Also literally read the book. He talks about why there is less squatting frequency.

>On gs you press 3x a week and pull 3x a week
no, you don't. not unless you add something to the base routine. and it's funny that you think what should be added is what is in SS to begin with.

>A set of row (horizontal pull) for every set of bench.
>A set of chin for every set of ohp.
this is broscience. there's no 1 to 1 relationship between the muscle groups involved here.

>Also literally read the book. He talks about why there is less squatting frequency.
I don't want to. if you can set squat PRs 3 times a week there's no reason to do it twice a week instead.

>thinking power cleans and deadlifts are symmetrical with bench press and overhead press
...m8

man, you people are retarded. this is a complete waste of my time. enjoy your meme-routine

I do 4 sets of between 5-8 reps except on accessories. If I can do more then 8 I up the weight.

Best of both worlds.

You cant squat 3 prs a week for 6 months solid, you tard.

That is the point

Read the fuckinh first few pages of the book. Jim scheaffer addresses idiots like you, who think you will go from 125-650 squat in 6 months
What lower squat frequency really means is less deloads, and better VIF management

You absolutely need vertical and horizontal pulls to hit rear delts and rhomboids and other musculature that needs to be strengthened to balance out anterior delts, pec minor

Jim scheaffer explicitly instructs you to put add ons to whichever base program you like beat.

There is no single greyskull program, like ss

Phrak's variant is the most common, and with good reason - it is the best

Enjoy your rolled shoulders and scapular protraction

What accessories do you recommend? I already commited to SL so I might add those

>double progression is superior to linear progression as a novice
No.

Save that shit for when the noob gains run dry

Wait, did Trappy die or something?

Doxxed and left

Squatting every day is stupid. Deadlights every day is dumber. Power cleans are a meme exercise.

Thank fuck, he was annoying as shit

The trick is to just post anonymously. That way you can't annoy people or get doxxed.

Power cleans and deadlifts are not nearly enough upper back engagment. 5x5 is exponentialy better for a balanced physique, and the volume will let you see faster gains as a noob.

SS will fuck your shoulder posture up because of the lack of direct upper back and rear delt engagment. You need to incorporate a lot more assecory work into SS than you do SL.

curls and leg raises on deadlift day, and planks and side lateral raises if you have dumbells, behind the neck overhead press if you just have a barbell.

Careful on the behind the neck presses, go reallllly light, you want it as an almost side delt isolation, not as a compound.

desu, the difference is minimal. Making sure you have enough sleep, a good diet, and not skipping workouts is a lot more important.

That being said, SL is probably better, the extra volume will help you at the start, and I don't think I've ever seen a newbie actually do power cleans properly.

this is bait

Everyone of you retards responding has never read SS because you literally use 5x5 and then decrease to 3x5 as necessary.