ITT: Veeky Forumstorical Good Samaritans

Since we're getting close to Christmas, let's get in the spirit by posting people who out of sheer generosity and kindness, lent a helping hand to their fellow man. I'll start:

>Despite his youth, Kirkland enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1861, not long after war was declared, before his older brothers. He was first assigned to Company E, 2nd South Carolina Volunteer Infantry, but was later transferred to Company G of the same regiment, and was promoted to sergeant. He first saw action during the First Battle of Bull Run (First Manassas), and later in the Battle of Savage's Station, Battle for Maryland Heights and Battle of Antietam, during which time many of his closest friends from Kershaw County were killed.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rowland_Kirkland
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faik_Ali_Ozansoy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Texas
1-22infantry.org/history4/lengfeld.htm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_T._O'Callahan
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_O'Flaherty
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Kamil
youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSqt39vFM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Winton
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>On December 13, 1862, Kirkland's unit had formed at the stone wall at the base of "Marye's Heights" near Fredericksburg, Virginia. In the action that followed, he and his unit inflicted heavy casualties on the Union attackers. On the night of December 13, walking wounded made their way to the field hospital while those who were disabled were forced to remain on the battlefield. The morning of December 14 revealed that over 8,000 Union soldiers had been shot in front of the stone wall at Marye's Heights. Many of those remaining on the battlefield were still alive, but suffering terribly from their wounds and a lack of water.
>Soldiers from both sides were forced to listen to the painful cries of the wounded for hours, with neither side daring to venture out for fear of being shot by the enemy. At some point during the day, Kirkland allegedly approached Confederate Brig. Gen. Joseph B. Kershaw, also from Kershaw County, South Carolina, and informed him that he wished to help the wounded Union soldiers. By Kershaw's own account, at first he denied the request, but later he relented. However, when Kirkland asked if he could show a white handkerchief, General Kershaw stated he could not do that. Kirkland responded "All right, sir, I'll take my chances."

>Kirkland gathered all the canteens he could carry, filled them with water, then ventured out onto the battlefield. He ventured back and forth several times, giving the wounded Union soldiers water, warm clothing, and blankets. Soldiers from both the Union and Confederate armies watched as he performed his task, but no one fired a shot. General Kershaw later stated that he observed Kirkland for more than an hour and a half. At first, it was thought that the Union would open fire, which would result in the Confederacy returning fire, resulting in Kirkland being caught in a crossfire. However, within a very short time, it became obvious to both sides as to what Kirkland was doing, and according to Kershaw cries for water erupted all over the battlefield from wounded soldiers. Kirkland did not stop until he had helped every wounded soldier (Confederate and Federal) on the Confederate end of the battlefield. Sergeant Kirkland's actions remain a legend in Fredericksburg to this day.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rowland_Kirkland

Oh yeah and if you're a drawfag, pregnant Anne Frank x Richard Rowland Kirkland would be very much appreciated. Even if you don't agree politically with the Southern cause, Kirland was without doubt one of those who lived up Anne's own words that "people were really good at heart".

I'm thinking a bloodied and exhausted Sgt. Kirkland handing his canteen to a very pregnant Anne who's a little worse for wear herself (dress torn and flaked with mud, minor bruises and cuts on her arms and legs as if she's been hiding in a confined space etc.). Nothing sexual, romantic, or even political, just a poignant display of kindness and humanity. Something to appreciate going into the holidays.

>Since we're getting close to Christmas, let's get in the spirit
Fuck off, Veeky Forums isnt a spooky place where youre mood changes according to the dictates of papist-cum-capitalist holiday extravaganzas

>Decided to fight for the right to own and drive human beings like animals
> Had his side won he would have supported the right of men to treat other men as property and rape and murder them as they pleased.

Is there a happy ending user? Did Sherman hang him?

>goes out against orders to give water to dying Union soldier
>is repaid with gloating and insults

You’re very welcome

>Fought for brutality and slavery. Gets called the soy boy faggot he is.

Yup. Never forget, the North raped your asshole so hard your economy and manpower still hasn't fully recovered. Start shit, get hit.

>gloating about barely winning a war where 1 in 8 Northern men died
>flaunting your faux moral superiority to hide your own insecurities
>probably the same type who posts on /pol/ that Lincoln should have deported all the niggers
>calling me the soy boy faggot

Back to the playground child

Americans, they slaughter each other in a civil war and still gloat about one half of the country fucking over the other. Let's hope for a rematch soon, this time in HD.

It was less than 1 in 15 in the North retard, but 20% of your male population got killed for treachery.

You real what you sow.

They'd never dare. We'll get over the Trump retardation, cut migration because it is too high, assimilate like we always do, and come back with a renewed civic nationalism stronger than ever. We're the new Rome. Of course faggots cried about "muh Roman imperialism" like SJWs, or "muh lineage traced to the founding of Rome" like the Alt-Right, but the true strength of America and Rome is the bulk of citizens committed to being the biggest, baddest empire on Earth, and we still have that.

Well the way this idiot talks shit, he’s pretty much asking to get hit to use his own words.

And then they’re surprised that certain namefags would be happy to slit the throat of every last Northerner they can get their hands on.

>real
>can’t even spell probably he’s so triggered

And then you have the gall to call me the butthurt one?

t. Never celebrated Christmas with their family

Idiots like you running your mouth are why Trump won to begin with.

>actually being proud of American Imperialism

Oh God, you’re even worse than I thought

>not being proud of American imperialism
>not being proud of spreading democracy, technology, and justice

Peace on earth is for cucks and faggots who like to virtue signal about love and sissy shit.

How about good Sarmatians

>not being proud of spreading democracy, technology, and justice
>thinking mass slaughter of innocent people in the name of glorified resource theft is a good thing

Morons like you will this country’s undoing I swear.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faik_Ali_Ozansoy

>During the Armenian Genocide, Ozansoy served as governor of the Kütahya Province.[7] When orders of deportations reached Ozansoy, he refused to carry them out.[5][8] His brother, Suleyman Nazif, insisted in a letter that he not "participate in this event, watch out for our family's honor."[4][9][10] Meanwhile, while many Armenians were being deported through Kutahya and onto further destinations, Ozansoy protected them and provided shelter. He was then invited to the Istanbul to explain his actions towards the Armenians. Memoirist Stepan Stepanyan describes his encounter with Talaat Pasha:

>Talaat asks him why he hasn't deported the Armenians of his town.

>He answers that the Armenians of his sandjak have always been faithful Ottomans and that they have always lived with the Turks like brothers.

>Talaat points out that the decision for deportations is for all Armenians and there can be no exception to this rule.

>"In that case, since I don't want to be a murderer, please accept my resignation and find a successor who is willing to implement such a policy" says Ali Faik Bey.

>Only then Talaat says, "Fine, fine. Take your Armenians and just sit in your place."

Thank you for on-topic responses.

>In 1938, Lyndon B. Johnson, then a Congressman and later the 36th President of the United States of America, worked covertly to establish a refuge in Texas for European Jews fleeing Nazi Germany. Johnson helped hundreds of European Jews enter Texas through Cuba, Mexico and South America.
>In part, Johnson was influenced in his attitude towards the Jews by the religious beliefs that his family, especially his grandfather (Samuel Ealy Johnson Sr.), who was a member of the Christadelphian church, shared with him. Christadelphians believe that the Jews are God's chosen people, and LBJ's grandfather once said to him, "Take care of the Jews, God’s chosen people. Consider them your friends and help them any way you can."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Texas

I love being Texan

Unironically this

Stop using Anne Frank for your cringeworthy LARPing you CSA wannabee.

>interesting topic for thread
>full of yanks splitting hairs over their boring non-history
Why are you like this?

Despite not having been able to reach the man, I think his attempt deserves mention.
1-22infantry.org/history4/lengfeld.htm

>On November 12, 1944, Lt. Friedrich Lengfeld was commanding a beleaguered German rifle company. Like most units on both sides he had suffered heavy casualties. Early that morning, a wounded American could be heard calling from the middle of a German in a no man's land separating the combatants.

>"Help me" the man cried. His unit had withdrawn, however, and no U.S. troops were close enough to hear. Lengfeld ordered his men not to shoot if Americans came to rescue the man. But none came. The soldier's weakening voice was heard for hours. "Help me" he called, again and again. At about 10:30 that morning, Lengfeld could bear
the cries no longer. He formed a rescue squad, complete with Red Cross vests and flags, and led his men toward the wounded American.

>He never made it. Approaching the soldier, he stepped on a land mine, and the exploding metal fragments tore deeply into his body.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_T._O'Callahan

>When he heard that two platoons of M Company from his battalion was taking casualties and about to be overrun by the enemy, Father Capodanno went among the wounded and dying Marines of Second Platoon, helping them and giving last rites.

>He was wounded in the hand, arms, and legs. Refusing medical aid, he went to help a seriously wounded Navy corpsman and two wounded Marines only yards from an enemy machine gun and was killed;[6]15 Marines and 2 corpsmen also were killed.[7]

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_O'Flaherty

>In the early years of World War II, The Very Rev. Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty (as he was now) toured prisoner of war (POW) camps in Italy and tried to find out about prisoners who had been reported missing in action. If he found them alive, he tried to reassure their families through Radio Vatican.[8]

>O'Flaherty and his allies concealed 4,000 escapees, mainly Allied soldiers and Jews, in flats, farms and convents. One of the first hideouts was beside the local SS headquarters. O'Flaherty and Derry coordinated all this.

>When the Allies arrived in Rome in June 1944, 6,425 of the escapees were still alive. O'Flaherty demanded that German prisoners be treated properly as well. He took a plane to South Africa to meet Italian POWs and to Jerusalem to visit Jewish refugees.

>O'Flaherty regularly visited his old nemesis Herbert Kappler (the former SS chief in Rome), in prison, month after month, being Kappler's only visitor. In 1959, Kappler converted to Catholicism and was baptised by O'Flaherty.[16][17]

Go back to 2004 neocon scum

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Kamil
Fourth Ayyubid sultan of Egypt

>"Who could doubt that such goodness, friendship and charity come from God? Men whose parents, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, had died in agony at our hands, whose lands we took, whom we drove naked from their homes, revived us with their own food when we were dying of hunger and showered us with kindness even when we were in their power."—Oliverus Scholasticus, [14]

Also he met St. Francis

It's a historical fact that confederate victory would result in alive (and heavily preagnant) Anne Frank, you brainlet.
For that reason, she became a symbol of critical analysis of ACW's motives and consequences.
Read some books, for God's sake.

Her dad wrote that book. A kid can't write that well. Ffs.

does it make a difference? The point is is that your mood changes for arbitrary reasons and this arbitrary period of time is held up as the emotional high point of one's year. it's pathetic

What is ACW?

American Civil War

Abbreviation for American Civil War although it's uncommon parlance. Most Americans simply call the conflict "the Civil War".

Damn, I have sorta mixed feelings about LBJ, but this was actually really cool of him.

>Not liking christmas.
Did your father touch you when you were little?

You can't make this shit up. What is wrong with Americans?

Christianity

More likely the local mall Santa

more like stupidity
hebrews were the god chosen people, just because you convert to judaism that doesnt make you GOD's chosen people

Are we talking about the real, non-meme Samaritans?

>despite everything I believe people are good at heart

This bitch never worked with the public.

>... the story of Anne Frank in the fifty years since The Diary of a Young Girl was first published has been bowdlerized distorted, transmuted, traduced, reduced; it has been infantilized, Americanized, homogenized, sentimentalized; falsified, kitschified, and in fact, blatantly and arrogantly denied. ... nearly every edition ... is emblazoned with words like "a song to life," "a poignant delight in the infinite human spirit." Such characterizations rise up in the bitter perfume of mockery. A song to life? The diary is incomplete, truncated, brokenoff; or rather, it is completed by Westerbork ... and by Auschwitz, and by the fatal winds of Bergen-Belsen.

>... both Miep Gies ... and Hannah Goslar, Anne's Jewish schoolmate and the last to hear her tremulous cries in Bergen-Belsen, objected to Otto Frank's emphasis on the diary's "truly good at heart" utterance. That single sentence has become, universally, Anne Frank's message, virtually her motto--whether or not such a credo could have survived the camps. But why should this sentence be taken as emblematic, and not, for example, another? "There's a destructive urge in people, the urge to rage, murder, and kill," Anne wrote on May 3, 1944, pondering the spread of guilt. These are words that do not soften, ameliorate, or give lie to the pervasive horror of her time. Nor do they pull the wool over the eyes of history.

Nah, she knew what people were really like. The "good at heart" quote has been latched on to because it's easier to commercialize than

>There's a destructive urge in people, the urge to rage, murder and kill

Or her comments about the inhumanity of Germans

>Anne's Jewish schoolmate and the last to hear her tremulous cries in Bergen-Belsen
>tfw Anne will never hear the thundering roar of the Rebel Yell as a thousand men race toward the camp with bayonets fixed, their blood boiling hot with fury, determined to bring down the tyranny of Nazism and save all those who live under its shadow

>ywn chuckle while reading Anne's piss poor attempts to describe the sound of a "a foxhunt yip mixed up with sort of a banshee squall" and how made the SS guards soil themselves in pure terror.

youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSqt39vFM

Both

Was causing Dixieboos to invade this thread and start jacking off to the the thought of Anne Frank hearing their autistic screeching part of your plan?

>In part, Johnson was influenced in his attitude towards the Jews by the religious beliefs that his family, especially his grandfather (Samuel Ealy Johnson Sr.), who was a member of the Christadelphian church, shared with him. Christadelphians believe that the Jews are God's chosen people, and LBJ's grandfather once said to him, "Take care of the Jews, God’s chosen people. Consider them your friends and help them any way you can."

This would explain why he let Israel get away with blowing up the USS Liberty

feelsbadman

Oh yeah and opinion on ?

No he didn't. Yes, they can.

>idiots harp on how there's no way a girl as young as Anne Frank could've written that well
>same idiots ignore that Tatiana Romanov, who was just a few years older than Anne at the time of her death also wrote a diary where she expressed similar foreboding about her fate or worse harp on it and claim that bullshit about how DA JOOS killed the Romanovs

They're retarded and need mental help? Or they need to get a job and stop relying on mom's nuggies

Just because you're a 90s kid whose diary reads like "Today I went 2 the park!!!! it was fun!!!!!" doesn't mean children from a different time period, when education was more thorough and had higher standards, couldn't write well.

>hurr durr everyone who has a different opinion than me must have been molested XD

I like the way they wrote it. But that's just my opinion.

^ the grinch

You're a fucking joke, I wonder if you ever think about what you're shitposting on an anime forum, soyboy.

>soyboy

>t. vladimir

jealous, faggot?

Time to get this thread back on track

>offer to sacrifice yourself to save a man who had a wife and children
>said man's wife and children were already dead and he didn't know it

>opposing dangerous and unnecessary military adventurism makes you a foreign spy

Things that aren't harmful need not be logical. Go play some more runescape, autist.

>ywn receive absolution from this angel of a man

>listen to that one Sabaton song about this guy
>read his wikipedia page
>lived a totally unexceptional life, troubled if anything
>regular guy in every way
>decides one day during his time on the north Africa campaign to do something absolutely extraordinary
>a dozen soldiers were able to go home to their families cause of a man who didn't even know them risked his life to bring them back
>after this he has a breakdown and continues to lead a normal if troubled life after eventually recovering
Why does this one get me so much Veeky Forums? Someone who wasn't larger than life at all doing something so heroic and selfless, that to me is truly incredible.
Perhaps not the type of figures this thread is meant for but I wanted to contribute.

C-Can the Medal of Honor be awarded to non-Americans?

>be Mary Edwards Walker
>one of the only female surgeons in New York when the Civil War starts
>offers her services for the Union Army
>the army turns her away because lol woman
>after Manassas the Union realizes that they actually need trained doctors and allowed her to work formally
>she becomes the regimental surgeon of the 52nd Ohio and accompanies them into battle at Fredricksburg and Chickamauga
>during the battles she would frequently venture into the battle to bring back wounded soldiers, exposing herself to enemy fire
>wore a Union officer's uniform for practicality, frequently got fired on but still traveled to Confederate lines to help their wounded
>one day she was captured by the Confederates while looking for wounded and she was interred at a POW camp
>while there she continued to treat sick and wounded soldiers and fought for more sanitary conditions in the camp
>released after a prisoner exchange and continued to work for the government until the end of the war
>for her outstanding work and devotion to preserving life, she was awarded the Medal of Honor

>you will never read how the shit eating yanks were mowed down by machine guns like the dogs they were,and the squeals the joos made before flying up the chimneys.

Maximilian is my confirmation name because I liked this guy's story so much.
t. raised Catholic

Sadly no

Unironically Tokyo Rose

>Toguri was pressured to renounce her United States citizenship by the Japanese central government under Hideki Tojo with the beginning of American involvement in the Pacific War, like a number of other Americans in Japanese territory. She refused to do so, and was subsequently declared an enemy alien and was refused a war ration card.
>Cousens had been coerced to work on radio broadcasts, and worked with assistants U.S. Army Captain Wallace Ince and Philippine Army Lieutenant Normando Ildefonso "Norman" Reyes. Toguri had previously risked her life smuggling food into the nearby prisoner of war camp where Cousens and Ince were held, gaining the inmates' trust. Toguri refused to broadcast anti-American propaganda, but she was assured by Major Cousens and Captain Ince that they would not write scripts having her say anything against the United States.
>She earned only 150 yen per month, or about $7, but she used some of her earnings to feed POWs, smuggling food in as she did before.[21][22] She aimed most of her comments toward her fellow Americans ("my fellow orphans"), using American slang and playing American music. At no time did Toguri call herself "Tokyo Rose" during the war, and in fact there was no evidence that any other broadcaster had done so.

This woman should've received a hero's welcome and was thrown under the bus instead

My parents nearly named me Maximilian after this guy too.

I will forever despise Communists for killing this saint of a man.

>charge 'em boys, charge em!
>everyone laughs

I'm sorry, but every time I hear that video they just sound like angry cats. Maybe it's the primitive audio equipment or the fact they're in their 70s, but I just can't find it intimidating.

This

Will Durant unironically. His prose begs to read aloud.

he didn't die, he probably just escaped and went back to Sweden

(you)

>This woman should've received a hero's welcome and was thrown under the bus instead

and it was done by cuckservative, who was sucking McCarthy's dick all while autistically screeching "communism" at everyone who would pose a slight competition to him.
Thank god, Americans didn't have NKVD, that faggot would flood it with letters about enemies of murrika.

Oh fuck, you beat me to it.
>4 June 1962. Navy chaplain Luis Padillo was walking around giving last rites to dying soldiers as sniper fire surrounded him. A wounded soldier pulled himself up by linging to the priest’s cassock, as bullets chewed up the concrete around them. Hector Rondón Lovera, who had to lie flat to avoid getting shot, later said that he was unsure how he managed to take this picture.

>mfw beautiful Christmas thread got derailed by edgy kids

Soyboy is a Veeky Forums meme.
Also, only soyboys get butthurt at being called out.

>Thank god, Americans didn't have NKVD

We do though.

>receive Medal of Honor
>get deleted from the rolls because of clerical error
>ordered to return
>continued to wear it until her death

S T O L E N V A L O R

They unironically were during the J. Edgar Hoover days. Not so much afterwards though.

>hurr Anne Frank, a Jewish minority would totally love a soldier fighting to keep his minority as literal slaves

Kys traitoraboo.

*defends your states' rights*

*negotiates with Britain and France to secure independence*

*secures weapons contracts from Europe to keep the Confederate Army well stocked with Enfield rifles that are so damn good that Union soldiers steal them off the dead on a regular basis*

Oh yeah and this guy's nephew tried to get Anne Frank's family out of the Netherlands. That's right, the world's most famous Holocaust victim was nearly saved by a guy who qualified for Sons of Confederate Veterans membership. Now fuck off.

>Oh yeah and this guy's nephew tried to get Anne Frank's family out of the Netherlands. That's right, the world's most famous Holocaust victim was nearly saved by a guy who qualified for Sons of Confederate Veterans membership. Now fuck off.
wtf i love nathan bedford forrest now

>Hurr Dixie Jews brainwashed to serve their plantation masters are the same as European Jews living as oppressed minorities

Unironically this guy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Winton

Who wouldn't love that namefag? He's so fucking crazy, how could you not love him?

>Jews
>brainwashed

Usually they're the ones doing the brainwashing.