Ask the JuiceFag anything

Heya Veeky Forums, JuiceFag here. I'm part way through a 2 month juice fast. A week in and I'm down 12 pounds. I expect to lose 45 pounds or so before I'm done, eating no solid food. Ask me anything.

Also, juicing thread.

why not just do optifast lol

It depends what you're trying to accomplish.

Frankly, I doubt that one could live on a diet of shakes.

And if you're into organics, and eliminating processed food and chemicals, this isn't an option in my view.

Yeah you're right there. What do you juice usually? mostly vegetables?

I try to do 80% vegetables or so. I include carrots as a fruit because it has lots of sugar and carbs. The 20% is fruit, including herbs.

If you juice all fruit, and some carrots, you're going to get a lot of sugar and not lose any weight.

Dark green veg is best, like kale. It tastes nasty, so I add carrot and fruit (usually apples and grapes), some lemon or lime, and ginger root when I have it.

I could juice a cake or some tacos I suppose but that isn't accomplishing much.

Other good green vegetables include spinach, broccoli, and anything leafy. I love getting good radishes and carrots with the tops on, that stuff is nutritional gold.

What sort of juicer do you use?

I get that a lot.

There are two types of juicers. There are those that grind and squeeze often called "masticating" juicers, and those that slice or chop and use centrifugal force to extract the juice.

I prefer the former although I have used both types. The grinder gives you more pulp and fibre, and also extracts more juice; the pulp is drier.

But the centrifugals give a cleaner and smoother juice, they are faster, and often easier to clean depending on the model.

When I'm juicing hardcore and not eating, I prefer the grinder. More juice out of the goods, and some fibre and pulp to give my stomach and guts something to do.

I have two that I use currently: I use a Cuisinart Juice Extractor model CJE-1000C for quicker and smooth juice from fruit and soft veg, and an Omega (can't see the model) grinder/masticator for the majority of my stuff. The grinder is much better for fibrous veg and pulpy fruit like peaches or tomato.

Don't you feel hungry?

I thought people used juice to GAIN 45lbs????????????????????!!!!!!??)!

How much muscle mass/strength have you lost?

I've done juice fasts. They're not a great idea, the weight is primarily water.

You do get the fasting benefits (avoid fruit in your juice for this), but those start being very diminishing returns after 48 hours.

>
I do get hungry,

Like any other physical dependency or addiction, it takes about three days to lose my cravings for my favourite foods.

After ten days I lose all hunger at all. After that, it's quite easy.

If you wanted to gain weight, then you could do that by juice I suppose. But it depends on what kind of weight, right?

The weight loss for the first week or so is dramatic, for two reasons.

Firstly, if you're not eating then you're emptying your intestines. There's more there than you think. It takes three days or so to empty it all out. That's a lot of weight, and you're right. It's temporary and will go back on when you start eating again.

Secondly, with only juice you aren't taking in any (or much) salt. With little salt intake the body desalinates and you lose a lot of water.

This is why I'm down twelve pounds in the first week. That weight loss is absolutely temporary. But afterwards, it's still a half pound or so per day. Thus 45 pounds in two months.

I don't get a lot of exercise anyway. Yes, my protein intake with only juice is quite low but I don't need much anyway.

I lose 45 pounds in two months, with no extra exercise, and I still drink beer and wine.

Why not just eat the fruits and veggies and give your jaw muscles something to do? Just time convenience?

Can you juice stuff like tree leaves and dandelions and random weeds growing in your back yard?

ITT: One person advertising Juicers

One can get the nutrition faster and with fewer calories by juicing them. I'm not about to eat five pounds of vegetables per day, but I'll drink the juice from them.

I suppose you could but that's not advisable.

Firstly, you don't know what's poisonous, and there are things growing in your yard that you must not eat.

Second, vegetation like that might well have insect eggs, pesticides, feces, chemical fertilzers, an other stuff.

I do have a very "clean" yard, no pets or spraying. I have a small herb garden and get mint and oregano from it. They grow with no maintenance or attention. I've taken dandelion leaves too sometimes.

Homegrown vegetables would obviously be great in the juicer, but I'm not about stuff my lawn clippings into it.

I didn't even mention the model number of my favourite juicer so I'm not a shill.

You naysayers are so edgy. Keep it up.

Looking to make a solid juice or shake, problem is most veggies make me fucking gag and I prefer fruit if anything

Want to get into a gold strawberry banana juice or smoothie. Would like some recommended advice so it doesn't taste like complete ass

Was thinking of doing more of a smoothie type, cut up strawberries and banans, use some ice and then add milk for more of a thickness. I wanted to use some V8 strawberry banana but wasent sure

Protip; I'm bad as fuck at this so it's why I'm asking. I also like canalope, watermelon, cherries, honeydoo and pretty much any other fruit you can name.

Help me sir, I use to go to the gym 4 times a week and eat whatever I wanted and looked chizzled as fuck, now with working full time and other adult responsibility's I find myself fattening up, and I love juice

I don't know if you're going to like what I tell you.

An all fruit smoothie, or even one made with sweeter veg, is going to have a lot of sugar and carbs. It's got a lot of nutrition but isn't really diet food.

If you want to lose any weight by juicing you're going to be replacing meals with juice. Obviously, the juice has to have lots of nutritional value, and it has to have lower carbs and sugar than the meal. A fruit smoothy is nutritious but has a lot of carbs and calories.

A tasty morning smoothy is milk, banana, some yogurt, frozen berries, and maybe some protein powder or psyllium fibre if you want that.

A decent juicer is expensive, I hope you already have one. Cheap models do a poor job, are hard to assemble and take apart, harder to clean. A good model will start at around $250, read online reviews and look for something on sale.

Try starting with half fruit and half veg. Choose mild veg, like celery and cucumber. I like cabbage myself. When you find things you like the taste of, keep using more. Or, juice veg but add a very sweet fruit like grapes and pinepple.

Part of the process here is to get your taste buds reprogrammed so that the food that is good for you tastes good. Most westerners like the food that is bad for us.

You could go to a juice bar or health food store nearby, they make blends which taste good (they have to sell them, right?) Try some. You might find some that your really like and can make at home.