Veeky Forums's opinion on foam rollers ?

Have a bump op

they are essential

the literature I've seen isn't super encouraging but allegedly they break up connective scar tissue and increase ROM

I think they're overrated, but that being said, if you can't get regular massage therapy, it's better than nothing.

My main complaint about them is that they don't come in more than one diameter. I'm 6'4" and ~200lbs and the cross-section of contact of the thing, I think, is too small, which means too much pressure on a given point. If they came in larger diameters then that wouldn't be a problem. It's like they're really marketing them to skinny little cardio bunnies or something that weigh maybe 100lbs soaking wet, who, ironically, don't really need them in the first place (not like they actually work muscles or anything).

pretty sure the real problem is you're being a pussy mr skellerton

shut up, faggot, you don't even lift

lmao if even words hurt you this deeply no wonder you're having trouble with some foam

foam rollers are god. i think everyone should use one.

for their price, they're unbelievable.

Have you considered.. posting constructive, on-topic comments, instead of retarded trolling and bullying people for no reason (other than you're bored)?

I already did, , have you considered not being such a little bitch in both the physical and mental aspects of your existence?

wow you really are a pussy

if it's supposed to do what people think it does you're gonna want that much pressure. It should be painful and slow (about 1inch of movement per second)
I have some doubts about them but they've been used in physical therapy for 20 years or so and mainly by people who are doing cardio-heavy low intensity high rep stuff. Originally dancers who couldn't afford massages I think.

foam rolling is just massage for poorfags/foreveralones

the one I bought is too soft. I prefer just targeting problem areas with a lacrosse ball.

They're used as a technique for self-myofascial release alongside tennis balls, lacrosse balls, rolling pins etc...

yes they work if you use them slow and 3-5 minutes at a time on a daily basis

no they don't work if you're that idiot who rolls fast as shit on a muscle group for 30 seconds a couple times a week

I work in physical therapy not that any of you give a shit

I'm thinking about going into pt, how do you like it?

They are 10/10 for me.

I own one and use it to warm up before working out and to "massage" my muscles when they are tight or sore. Makes my body feel so much better since I got one.

the thinner the better you bozo. yeah it hurts but deal with it, you're getting more bang for your buck

Cannot live without them

I just started using one a few weeks ago. I rike it. Spend about 3 minutes on each leg and a couple on my thoracic spine before I work out. Sometimes I'll hit my chest/anterior delts too cuz they're a little tight. really loosens things up.

what is this thing? Do I put my penis inside it?

Op is a faggot.

If you wouldn't have any issues paying for the schooling then do it, but if you'd be taking loans the entire way then it's really not worth becoming a PT to be honest. You have to go through 7 years of schooling to get your Doctorate only to be paid 65-80k a year. I've only heard of 1 PT making 100k+ a year and she owned her own very successful practice in a very wealthy area, she is an exception to the regular.

If you would have to take loans for school then become a Physical Therapist Assistant. You're still a licensed therapist who will have their own patients, and you're making 50-65k a year with 2 years of schooling. The only differences are a PTA cannot do the initial evaluation for a patient and cannot do some techniques like dry needling(similar to acupuncture but much deeper and into the muscle belly).

Fulfilling environment and it beats the shit out of manual labor or sitting at a computer for 9 hours a day

interesting, I always thought pta was more like gruntwork.

I've heard horror stories of some places that treat their PTAs as aides/techs but i think those places are in the minority. Where I'm at everyone pretty much acts as a team and everyone's opinion carries the same weight regardless of title

if I already have a BS do you think PT school is worth it? my grades aren't stellar so I'd probably have to go out in the boonies..

Check schools near you to see who even has a PT program and make sure your credits will get you into their program, you may need to take a few extra classes to fulfill their needs. Most schools in my area wanted you to either have a Kinesiology or Biology degree.

Also the programs are very competitive so you may not get in on the first application, I would apply to every school that has the program and just hope you get into one of them.

You'd have to go back to school regardless of PT(3 years)/PTA(2 years) so it would make more sense to just put yourself through the extra year and go for PT in my opinion.

If you know the differences between PT and PTA and you have even a shred of doubt about being a PTA, then go for PT. You would feel stupid looking back in life that you didn't go 1 extra year in school

good point, thank you for the input.

anytime user

I started using PVC, and now foam rollers just don't do it for me. I need a little more pressure than they can give. Protip: just buy a 3 foot, 5 inch diameter length of PVC pipe from home depot for like 8 bucks instead of paying double or triple that for an inferior product.

n-n-no bully pls ;_;

i find them too soft and big so i just use a cricket ball for maximum pressure

Listen to the JTS podcast about it. What they are, is a placebo that provide no log term gains.

People have misread the literature and for it to be effective and break up something, you will need to be under anaestheic because it would require an immense amount of force and the pain would not be bearable, the roller would have to be much larger.

Just go listen to it, foam rolling is pure fucking meme.

3-5min at a time per muscle?