Using a belt for anything short of 400lbs on squat and 500lbs on deadlift

>using a belt for anything short of 400lbs on squat and 500lbs on deadlift
Why would you do this?

To minimize fatigue on the set and promote better posture i.e. making better gains faster.

>having bad posture without a belt
That's because you have a muscular imbalance and shit form

Nah, it's to minimize form degradation caused by fatigue in the set. Making each of your reps higher quality is key to long term consistent gains.

If the rep is shit, you might as well not have done it, save the breakdown for competitions.

Nah, it's because you have shit form and muscular imbalances.

I do have muscular imbalances, I'm sure everyone does to an extent, but my form is impeccable.

It's just that especially during the conditioning phase of my programming I tend to lose form whenever I get near the end of the lower sets, a belt minimizes this problem.

It isn't impeccable. It's shit and you're dyel.

if your form is perfect why do you need a belt to stop fatigue while you're warming up

because a belt gives your abs something to push against so they can contract harder, get a better workout and become stronger faster

weight on the bar doesn't change this in any way

Higher sets I mean

And I wear it because 50 reps of paused squats take their toll, which is really more of a cardio issue strictly speaking.

So you have weak abs.
Dyel

your IRON LYFE mindset is keeping you back.

Being comfortable helps you stay as focused as possible on hitting quality reps, if that means wearing a belt then do so.

>So you have weak abs.
the fuck? where did you make this up from

because it helps me achieve my goals
any problems with that?

It's the same as straps knee and elbow wraps and the lifting suit.
It's a cheat.
Their too fucking weak to lift it on their own so they need a cheat.
These people are also easily talked into taking gear.

2/10 thread, increasing your ability to exert yourself doesn't scale with weights.

I give it 2/10 because at least it gives me a chance to educate people about belt use.

TL;DR use belts on your last warm-up set and working set NOT when you reach a magic weight defined by user on Veeky Forums.

A belt protects the spine by increasing the amount of pressure that can be applied to it by the muscles that support it. The belt itself reinforces the "cylinder" of the ab muscles around the spine. At the same time, the belt acts as a proprioceptive cue for a harder abdominal muscle contraction: you can actually squeeze harder with a belt on than you can without one, just as you can push harder against a loaded barbell than you can against a broomstick. This effect ultimately produces both stronger abs, due to the stronger isometric contraction facilitated by the belt, and a stronger squat, due to the heavier loads made possible by the more stable spine.

Contrary to the new conventional wisdom regarding this, a belt will not prevent your trunk from getting and staying strong.

It's not as if your trunk muscles just go to sleep when you put on your belt. What actually happens is that the abs contract harder against the external resistance provided by the belt than they can without it, in the same way that your arms can contract harder when you curl a barbell than when you curl a broomstick.

A belt does in fact help you safely lift more weight than you would without one, since a tight back better supports more weight when you're squatting, and squatting more weight allows you to do more work through the range of motion and thus get stronger.

0/10

A suit or wraps are different in that they actually enable you to lift weights that are heavier than those you can lift without the suit because some of the kinetic energy of the descending, bar-loaded, eccentric contraction is stored as elastic energy in the suit or wrap material and in the compressed skin and muscle under the suit.

That energy is then made available to the lifter as he rebounds up, so the suit is in fact an artificial aid.

A belt does not function across a joint going into a sequence of flexion, stretch reflex, and extension, like a suit does. There is no actual comparison and you are a faggot.

What happens when you try to lift something heavy and you don't have the weight belt there to subconsciously remind you to tighten your abs, weak shit?

You snap your shit up trying to look like a big shot at a party?

0/10 troll

t. not who you responded to

If you need the weight belt to lift heavier then yes it is helping you lift the weight.
And you are a weak faggot.

>don't have the weight belt there to subconsciously remind you to tighten your abs

That's not what it does and that's not what I said it does.

t. the person who's post you didn't read before trying to troll.

By your logic, putting more weight on a barbell is 'helping' you lift the weight because without the weight on the bar you wouldn't be able to lift it.

0/10, and with that terrible troll attempt I'm out of the thread folks.

Didn't even read it you fagooter

Fuck off Trappy

Their entire assertion that weight belts don't help them lift and isn't technically a cheat is based on silly magical bullshit.

The only way it can even come close to NOT being a cheat comparable to things like wrist wraps and the like is if it's there to simply remind them to tense their core.
Which is was my chain of thought when I wrote that post. Because..I was honestly going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They outright state how it helps them cheat the lift up then later say that it doesn't because it makes them tighten their core and hold that up as a second reason why it's not cheating.

All of that shit is wrong. It's a way to lift heavy and not actually be strong and or co-ordinated to lift it without it.

I am naturally a trex, should I stop squatting? Seriously my legs are bigger than they should be compared to upper body. I am not fat

That's not logical at all.
As a matter of fact that's fucking stupid and follows no form of logic I can conceive of.

No, if you need a weight belt to lift a weight then you are physically not strong and or co-ordinated to lift it. That's all.
It is a cheat and everyone lets it slide because it's used so much and allows people to do ego lifts and to be lazy with their core.

So you just randomly replied to a post that you didn't read?

>lazy with their core.
>train your core harder

seeing as you didn't read 's post ill highlight the relevant part for you.

>It's not as if your trunk muscles just go to sleep when you put on your belt. What actually happens is that the abs contract harder against the external resistance provided by the belt than they can without it, in the same way that your arms can contract harder when you curl a barbell than when you curl a broomstick.

>Need something to help you lift weight
>Not being lazy
>Can't tighten your own core while lifting a weight without a weight belt

Do you understand how stupid this shit is?
Do you fully see how retarded this accepted thing is?

To be fair I don't like using a belt much any more, you do tend to use it as a crutch
I only use one for PR attempts now basically

You need that belt to tighten your core for you on a lift that you can't do without it. And by it I mean the belt.

Think about that for a second.

>not using a 5 ply kevlar reinforced squat suit and lifting from a monolift for the empty bar on your first day at the gym

This
You need it to give your core something to push up against
>this is actually how dyel beltfags sound

>You need it to give your core something to push up against

You NEED it?
Huh...

I went to the chiropractor for the first time in years because I pinched a nerve, back when I was only a few months into lifting, and he could obviously tell that I hadn't been doing it too long because my back wasn't super muscley, just kinda muscley lol. He told me to wear a belt, smeven though I was new because it helps to get your core involved in the exercise as well as correct form etc.

>chiropractor
>lifting advice

I'm all for belts but the reason to wear them isn't because a snake oil salesman told you to.

>not wearing your belt everywhere you go
Never gonna make it

>chiropractor
Literally chakra tier

I just finished that chapter in starting strength.

Have to admit he makes a lot of good points and I'm buying a belt and shoes first thing next week.

If you need good form to lift heavier then you're cheating and obviously weak.

As you get older, you realize that safety is more important than some arbitrary rules made by some fucking kid on Veeky Forums about what is cheating and what isn't.

It's a great read isn't it?

Good to see there are people who still read SS on this festering shithole.

Do your warmups without a belt you fat piece of shit. I squat 450 with a belt and can still squat 405 ez without a belt a belt doesnt lift the weight for you you stupid cuck.

I'm an alpha male, I do whatever I want

people that need to use belts have inferior genetics

i worked up to a 440lbs deadlift without the use of a belt once, i still don't use one

/thread

for some people this is the case, for most it will teach them to use their abs correctly. many people don't use their abs for shit when they lift and having a belt to push against tells their brain what actually using their abs feels like. when the belt comes off, their abs are now stronger than before, which allows them to lift more weight than had they not used one.

>using a belt for any lifting of any kind

Just get shorts that fit you, you fucking mongoloid.

How do I focus on tightening my abs during squats and deads, ladaroos?

Fuck off m8. People that make bold claims about chiropractic practices are the issue. Getting your neck set straight when you pinch a nerve is fine. Also the guy had biceps the size of my head, and worked with some olympic team, I can't remember which).