Why do I keep throwing out my back on squats?

I've done bodyweight routines for years, and switched to strong lifts about 4 months ago. In that time, I've twice tweaked my back when doing squats. I'm sure it's because of crap form, but I'm wondering if there's anything else to it.

Looking at symmetric strength (pic related), my deadlift is far weaker than my other lifts. I know I could be diddlying more than I am right now, I've just been following SL and so haven't advanced far yet.

I'm considering deloading significantly on squats and focusing on my deadlift, theory being that strengthening my posterior chain will help me maintain form on the squat. Any thoughts on this?

Barbell training is far more dangerous than given credit for on the internet. I'd wager the vast majority of people who are using barbells for linear progression will suffer a severe injury at some point in time.

The fact that major injuries with barbell training is common is underepresented on the internet because many of the communities that discuss lifting bar or shun discussing injuries which gives onlookers the mistaken belief that injuries are uncommon. This cycle is propelled by the fact that there's shitloads of money to be made off teenage idiots who want to appeal to the opposite sex and there are no shortage of fitness experts willing to indulge them. It could take several months to years before they suffer their first major injury -- just long enough to keep a steady supply of memeing retards available to shun anyone who dares speak negatively of their newfound method of looking more appealing to the opposite sex.

You're much better off doing many different forms of lifting and not following a linear progress barbell routine, from a staying injury free standpoint. And when you become jacked, then switch to a barbell heavy routine.

Don't fall for the meme. Very few people can train themselves how to properly use barbells. Most of those guys you see at meets have been training their whole lives and have learned first hand from fellow experts in person.

Poor form, weak core, lack of mobility.

> Start lifting seriously only after you become jacked

Verbal diarrhea. Just ignore this faggot. You have to lift to become better at lifting. If you are getting injured, deload significantly and learn how to do it properly before reloading.

linear progress barbell training routines require a far greater degree of technical proficiency than people realize and you won't realize this until you try and squeeze out one more rep tham you can handle then snap your shit up and it's exponentially more difficult for new lifters to reckon with a failed lift while holding onto a barbell containing hundreds of pounds of weight.

You are never suppose to "squeeze out another rep" on beginner programs, though.

In fact, you're never suppose to "squeeze out another rep". If you feel your form is breaking you consider it a failed lift and you end it right there.

Like with deadlifts, if you're struggling on your 3rd rep and the weight is too heavy for you, you put it back down and you stop. You don't continue pulling with a bent back and then hitch the weight up to "finish" the rep. No one is advising nor suggesting that.

No one is saying lift beyond your limits. You aren't supposed to go to failure.
Lift sensibly with good form and LP programs will maximise your potential as a beginner.

Well lifting to failure IS fine but you're suppose to do it properly. You can lift to failure without breaking your form and injuring yourself.

You should know how to fail a lift safely. That's what safeties on a squat rack are for, and what spotters for bench press exist. You lift until the muscle group you're targeting can't lift the weight anymore, it's that simple

This almost never happens. Most of the time when people hurt themselves while lifting weights it's because they injured themselves in a very minor, very easily rehabbed way, they ignored or didn't give it the attention it deserved because they were so focused on making progress, and it developed into a major injury. It is very rarely a 0-100, felt fine and then snapped your shit up sort of thing. Take OP for example, he has hurt his back twice in the last 4 months and is only now considering a deload. The most important thing a newbie needs to learn isn't proper form (though that is very important), it's rehab and recovery.

Is it pain around your SI joint?

I've been having that problem and I've switched over to RDLs, SLDLs, glute bridges, leg curls and quad extensions for a while. Weighted side bends really help with the pain and I think I'll be better at squats when I resume at weight.

>And when you become jacked, then switch to a barbell heavy routine.
I guess I'll see you at the squat rack when you're 50+ years old then.

Ever notice that you look like shit and aren't strong after years of training? Might have something to do with being a giant vagina.

The problem is a beginner hasn't developed the know how to say when enough is enough. It's easier said than done applies here. It's easy to tell someone to lift with correct form but it's not easy for a beginner to apply this advice in practice because barbells are flat out retarded training tools for beginners. You can load far more weight onto them than can be safely used by a beginner. They can lift said weight making them think they're doinv it right but they almost never are. In fact most of you arguing right now probably suck dick at lifting but you don't know it yet because your injuries haven't fully manifested themselves.

My quads became jacked within a month of barbell squats so no, you're an idiot. My quads also became jacked within a month of dumbbell squats. Beginners become jacked from lifting anything. The difference being that everything else besides barbells requires far less technicality to perform. You are just following some internet coach's advice because because you need a coach to teach you these lifts but it's unecessary to perform them and dangerous for a beginner without the supervision of an expert.

>The problem is a beginner hasn't developed the know how to say when enough is enough

You either have to be 14 or beyond mentally retarded. When your muscles are incapable of doing the exercise with correct form (neutral spine, using correct muscle groups, etc) is when you stop.

>It's easy to tell someone to lift with correct form but it's not easy for a beginner to apply this advice in practice because barbells are flat out retarded training tools for beginners

How? It's very simple.

Bench press - Keep a minor arch, shoulders retracted and down, arms should be 45 degrees to your torso or smaller (close to your body basically). It's that simple, if you do that there is virtually no way tofuck your shit up.

Squats - Knees track the toes, keep neutral spine/natural arch in your lower back, use your legs and keep torso upright so you're not goodmorning the squat (you'll feel it).

Deadlift - keep a neutral spine, keep everything tight and pull in one smooth movement, do not hitch.

Overhead press - Push with your shoulders and triceps, do not lean too far back to help with the weight.

if you do all of these you're not going to hurt yourself most likely, unless you have a pre-existing injury or something.

You only need those points, everything else might make you lift lower weight, but it will not give you an injury.

>The difference being that everything else besides barbells requires far less technicality to perform.

What's the fucking difference between barbell squats and dumbbell squats in terms of form? This is retarded

>but it's unecessary to perform them and dangerous for a beginner without the supervision of an expert

WHICH PART???

If you just follow the basic, intuitive rules found anywhere on the internet you can do this.

Like wtf, brace your core, knees track toes, don't bend over too far or some dumb shit. That's it, it doesn't get simpler than that

>You either have to be 14 or beyond mentally retarded. When your muscles are incapable of doing the exercise with correct form (neutral spine, using correct muscle groups, etc) is when you stop.

a beginner is lucky to develop the ability to guage any of this while lifting because their mind will be fully occupied by just trying to finish their final rep.

>How? It's very simple
easier said than done. any idiot can read how to do anything but it takes years of practice to lift with perfect form without an expert to train you. you can put on some serious muscle and lift for months - years with atrocious form which is why there are so many white knights defending retarded beginner advice.

>a beginner is lucky to develop the ability to guage any of this while lifting because their mind will be fully occupied by just trying to finish their final rep.

Maybe they deserve to get injured then if they can't tell that they're no longer working the intended muscle group. I've never had that problem.

>any idiot can read how to do anything but it takes years of practice to lift with perfect form without an expert to train you

Of course it does. to learn how to train perfect is like a lifelong journey. Literal competing powerlifters fix their form after many years of lifting hard.

But my point is that if you follow a few very simple tips, you MAY Not be lifting most optimally, your form MAY be subpar. But you will not be getting an injury.

>What's the fucking difference between barbell squats and dumbbell squats in terms of form
is this a joke? a dumbbell squat doesn't require any technicality to speak of. the bar doesn't have to be correctly placed on your back. you don't have to have your hands or arms in correct position. there's no bar pathing errors. most dumbbells squats require far less mobility.

>Maybe they deserve to get injured
nobody offering advice to a beginner that's worth reading would suggest such a thing. you're a miserable waste of human life. kys faggot

>nobody offering advice to a beginner that's worth reading would suggest such a thing. you're a miserable waste of human life. kys faggot

If you don't have common sense to realize that maybe your back shouldn't be bent or yanking the bar up to lockout in a deadlift you deserve to get injured

common sense =/= barbell training

it's a highly technical form of building muscle that requires years of practice and coaching to perform without injury.

anybody claiming differently is too new, trained b9 an expert or the exception.

Okay then don't do it and stick to dumbbells.

Barbells work for me