Is maintenance the true path to fitness?

Cutting sucks and is no fun
Bulking is risky and leads to weight gain.
Maintenance however, you can eat normally but still build muscle and cut fat.

Sure it's slower than either other option but it's the MOST sustainable option.

Pic related, a body achievable with maintenance.

Other urls found in this thread:

vandykestrength.com/pages/nutrient_timing_for_proper_recovery
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, you need a calorie surplus (bulking) to gain mass (muscle is mass too).

no

It's the true path to wasting time and making almost zero gains.

you don't, but it does make it a lot easier.

also, you don't usually stay in a caloric surplus or deficit for a whole day.
if you ate and worked out in the morning, you can be in a surplus before and after working out, but be in a deficit later in the evening.
you'd build muscle in the morning, and you'd still lose fat in the evening.

I want to cum on those abs.

>you'd build muscle in the morning, and you'd still lose fat in the evening.

That sounds like broscience. Please explain yourself.

Seriously go read a book on exercise physiology instead of making up your own ideas about how the body works based on an amalgamation of things you've heard.

Body doesn't work that way.

When someone says they're in a 'caloric deficit', it means that they're eating less than their tdee. Total DAILY energy expenditure.

I spoke nothing of TDEE.

I said go learn about exercise physiology because you're chatting garbage and someone else here actually asked you to explain as if what you were saying was worth any merit.

>You don't need to intake more material to increase the material in your body
Oh you're right, it comes from that magic place fatties believe their size comes from, fat fucking air.

The only time something like OP is describing ever happened to me is when I was diagnosed as hypothyroid. Once I got on the proper medication dosage, my body composition shifted dramatically. I gained a fair amount of lean mass and dropped a few BF percentages in like 2 weeks.

However, outside of clinical conditions, gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is incredibly difficult (aside from noob gains).

"Fitness happens when you REST".

Muscle gains don't happen instantaneously when you're lifting at the gym, you dummy, they happen when you are SLEEPING, which is when all the major repairs to your body are taking place. That is why getting enough sleep every night is absolutely as VITAL to strength gain as eating enough calories to provide the raw materials required for strength gain.

Also fat burning happens when you WORK, not when you SLEEP. You've got the entire process ass-backwards.

READ THE FUCKING STICKY!
READ THE FUCKING STICKY!
READ THE FUCKING STICKY!
READ THE FUCKING STICKY!
READ THE FUCKING STICKY!

You apparently NEED to READ THE FUCKING STICKY because you have ZERO idea how the human body works.

You do know bulking is only bad if you over do it like any other thing... Sure if you're over eating so heavily you're outpacing your gains, it will be bad, but if you're bulking reasonably it's not bad. Please keep in mind I'm not someone who bulks commonly, so I'm not biased towards it.

the energy comes from fat storage on your body...

that's usually what people mean, but that's not what a caloric deficit actually is.
you can eat nothing all day and eat a big meal right before going to bed that puts you over your TDEE, and you'd be in a deficit during the day and yet you'd still gain weight daily because of your one big meal.
so you can have an average surplus, but still a local deficit.

this isn't helpful.
either point out mistakes or don't post.
what i said is the basis of IF by the way.
i made only one post this thread.

MPS happens continually, it doesn't wait until you fall asleep.
Fat burning happens whenever the body needs energy and can't get it from food.

oh, and before someone comes up with studies showing MPS peaks ~20 hours after training and lasts >24 hours, remember that those studies are done on untrained people.

in trained people, MPS peaks around 4 hours after training and returns to baseline 12 hours in.
this isn't discrete either: the more trained you are, the earlier MPS peaks and the shorter it lasts.

Meal frequency doesn't affect anything other than energy levels and hunger..I ain't buying it

the reason why meal frequency is deemed unimportant is because it simplifies things for beginners.
if you've just been lifting for a few months, it doesn't really matter how many times or when you eat.
the longer you've been training, the more it matters, because gains comes less and less easy.

meal frequency also doesn't affect average weight gain/loss.
but the more trained you are, the more it affects how much of that weight gain/loss goes towards muscle and how much goes towards fat.

Actually saying "this isn't helpful" while on fit.

Have you seen the boards lately. There is nothing helpful here. It's a fit entertainment board

>

So more or less meals. When should they be timed?

>goes towards muscle and how much goes towards fat.
god. harsh must be rolling around in his grave

actually haven't seen the boards lately, i only go on Veeky Forums every so often.
kinda sad if it's true what you say.

for beginners it doesn't matter much.
for guys that've been training longer, it seems that the consensus is to have carbs and protein around training and fat throughout the day.

For example, one take on this could be:
*complex carbs before training
*simple carbs and a bit of protein or BCAA's right before (or even during) training
*simple carbs and protein right after training
*complex carbs and protein after training
*protein, carbs, and fat hours after training

Here is one such article on this: vandykestrength.com/pages/nutrient_timing_for_proper_recovery

>tfw I'll never be able to take her out on a date because I don't speak ayylmao

i have been lifting for a year and a half now and have definitely maxed out all my noob gains. i started out cutting then "bulked" myself back into a fatfuck (meme'd by EAT BIG TO GET BIG). after cutting for a second time i've been eating around maintenance for around 10 weeks. my bodyweight has remained mostly the same (gained a total of 5 pounds including 2-3 lbs of initial water weight) and my lifts have continued to go up 5 lbs/week. no idea what the fuck is going on but i'm the strongest i've ever been, feel great, and don't feel bloated and fat, while maintaining roughly the same bodyweight.

bump

I would fuck the shit out of that guy

> ate at maintenance +/- for 3 months
> lifted heavy compounds every day or two
> lost 1kg of fat and gained 0.1kg of muscle with minor progressive overload

Yeah OP, lifting at maintenance is the secret key. You're an absolute prodigy of knowledge.

Could you reccomend any reliable reads on general calorie gain/burning?
Have always wondered if you miss caloric goals, what window can you make up for the loss in, how fasting affects muscle etc

What about cardio? When you do an hour of cardio, for example, you'll burn excessive fat during that excersise. Ergo: you're losing weight and this has nothing to do with a surplus or deficiency, whatsoever. You think pic related guy is brawny because he always eats a surplus?

aerobic cardio kills gains mate

Sprints are the best way to burn fat, the thing is you actually dont burn any fat during the exercise. But to preserve glycogen your body burns fat after you rest

> Having fat to begin with

To fitness, as in, healthy, relatively strong compared to the average human being? Yes, just eat clean and at maintenance, while working out.
To being ripped, or very strong, or looking like that pic? No, that's going to require special effort, like bulking to build muscle and cutting to drop the fat that also got built during that period. Or using drugs. Or being extremely lucky with your genes.

Maybe, just maybe, if you have the luxury of being able to devote basically a part-time job worth of time towards working on your body... But even then, if you want to snap a pic like that, you're still going to have to do a short diet first, because that level of lean-ness is not sustainable (while remaining strong and healthy).

>the energy comes from fat storage on your body...

Your body has evolved to survive in an environment where food often isn't in constant supply. It's not going to digest its long term energy stores in favor of producing metabolically demanding muscle tissue.

Okay so let me ask this. As someone who's bf% is too high for abs to be visible, would I be better off to do cardio at a deficit until I'm leaned out, then bulk to put on muscle before cutting again? Because from what I'm seeing here my only feasible options are to do that or to bulk while lifting and become 2fat.

If you only want visible abs, just eat at a deficit, do cardio, and maybe some core work.
If you also want lots of muscle all-round, you would indeed be looking at bulk - cut cycles, where you'ld have visible abs from somewhere in the tail-end of the cut to the start of the bulk.

it does, with resistance training. Muscle will get repaired if enough protein is there, while using energy from bodyfat.

just lift at a deficit faggot, you will build muscle and lose fat.

>if you ate and worked out in the morning, you can be in a surplus before and after working out, but be in a deficit later in the evening.
>you'd build muscle in the morning, and you'd still lose fat in the evening.
lmao what the fuck

Thank you for hinting at the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about, this thread is now cancer

Well that's what I thought, but I'm not huge at all. My bodyfat % probably isn't ridiculous because I only cary a tiny little pocket in my tummy that isn't even noticeable unless I'm naked. I'm like 6'1 and I only weigh around 200lbs. I don't think I have enough stored fat for my body to properly recomp itself with.

Visible abs are important, definitely a huge goal, but I do want to be a little bigger too. My arms are too small and I want my back to look great as well. Something like pic related.

Kys

>You think pic related guy is brawny because he always eats a surplus?

I see only a juicehead.

What a faggot