/OWG/

/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Commisar's notes on the Meme Method
>pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM

>>I hope this edition isn't plagued by shitposts edition

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2016/jul/23/chinas-weightlifting-powerhouse-readies-for-rio-olympics-in-pictures#img-1
barbellapparel.com/products/mens-straight-athletic-fit-denim
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw training with Halil Mutlu in turkey

Feels pretty good hes a good teacher

Careful dude, theres a cockroach right next to you

What makes you say this

turks=cockroaches

is how it goes

Been playing around with snatches again. Just wondering what the standard "decent" weight is? Like 2/3/4 for squat/bench/dl

first for doing meme exercises

you mean 3/5/6?

why the sudden stop? light head bb?

bamp

It depends how much you weigh, how long you've been lifting, etc.

I would say 100/125 would be most in line with the 1/2/3/4 meme. With a decent ratio, you should be squatting close 3.5pl8 with those numbers, so it's a bit more advanced. But those are nice round numbers.

That said, those numbers are shit.

my dudes whats the point in getting into olympic weightlifting if theres already so many better people out there that will actually make it to the olympics?

how does one find the motivation knowing they most likely will never actually be olympic weightlifting?

You get into it knowing it's basically just a hobby. You can always compete in local meets and if you're dedicated enough than national level competitions aren't out of reach.

noice

why do anything

Cool b&w photo album of the Chinese oly team.

theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2016/jul/23/chinas-weightlifting-powerhouse-readies-for-rio-olympics-in-pictures#img-1

Local meets are pretty fun and easy. I just did a powerlifting meet and won gold with a 160 bench which is not impressive at all.

Owg meets are even easier. If you can cnj over 110 youre set

maybe if you're in the juniors and sub 69's

I went to a local meet last year and the guys in my weight class at the time (77) were totaling around 250 so idk what meets you've been to. I was completely outclassed

Its a great sport. Its nice to be physically active and do something that you enjoy. And i find oly lifting more fun than powerlifting, and you get so much more from it than just strength and mass.

Are the olympics even worth watching this year, at this point?

At what point?

Well there's no ilya, or apti, or okulov. Isn't it just going to be
>china wins lol
?

it was always going to be china wins?

Why did you put a question mark at the end of your sentence? Are you unsure? I hope you're unsure because you're wrong.

no?

>mixed grip
enjoy ripped biceps

no fuckin way, hes a legend

There are lots of great lifters. I suggest that you follow more than just the top ones.

god you post some weird shit

i think i have an issue staying tight during the jerk/ heavy front squats and it's from not having enough air to keep my core tight

any suggestions

efsoo

I'm well past 28 and I just started doing some Oly lifting. The question is, will I ever be half decent at my age? Also can you form-check me plz? (webm related). I'm basically self taught, be gentle.

With a good athletic background and a decent coach you could get pretty good and maybe hit some local meets with good results. But after 30~ many weightlifters retire because you start to become less explosive, mobile etc. for the sport, that's just what age does. But if its just a hobby, then you don't have to worry about such things.

I was 27 when I started Oly lifting. Dun goof'd my back last summer and have since moved on to other things. Do yourself a favor fambino: get someone to coach you. I read books, watched YouTubes, and had a friend give me some pointers but it wasn't good enough and wound up the mayor of snap city.

why does nationality matter so much to you?

Keep weight over midfoot, you're on your heels atm, also shoulders ahead of the bar, not behind.That should fix quite a bit.

the olympics is about which nation produces the best athletes

Thanks, I struggle a bit keeping the heel down with front loads, I'm going to work on that.
>But if its just a hobby, then you don't have to worry about such things.
Yea it's just a hobby but I'd like to move quite a bit more weight than this.
I did some crossfit lessons, maybe I will keep doing it till I'm a little more expert but idk. That's the only option I have for coaching.

breath so you have air?

: ^ )

/owg/ would you recommend me some good denims? Most of my nice looking denims are fucking ripping at the thighs now and my other denims make me look like i'm wearing potato sacks on my legs. bls halb

There's a couple of online places that sell "athletic jeans" for guys with big legs. Though they're kind of expensive.

barbellapparel.com/products/mens-straight-athletic-fit-denim

Might try Levi's they have "athletic" fit jeans that are supposed to give more room in the thigh and butt area. Plus they're a lot less expensive.

Jujimufu on instagram is slinging Fran denim. Maybe give those a try

rapper/hood ones

Levi's 541 are the only jeans I've ever worn that fit well and don't look baggy, yet have a lot of room in the thigh. 10/10 would recommend.

can someone post fat cock caladan pic

wew lad

200 when

"soon"

How to BS 2x week and FS 2x week?

Also I'm going to try OHS variations 3x week before squatting, Mash recommended them and said they are very good for beginners who need stability and mobility. Best rep range for these? Do I just try to LP on them?

>using mixed grip/hook grip for deadlifts

pathetic grip strength.

How often should I squat a week and how much front or back squatting?

73kg BW
145kg BS
105kg FS

more FS with that numbers obv.
also do 146 BS for muhdoublebw

what % of your best snatch can you guys do for a triple?

100%

80-90, depending on the day

Triples? is that Spanish? Singles all day every day

>OHPing in he squat rack
>get started at
>the bar almost touches the top of the rackvm in OH pos
lol good thing im a manlet :DDD

Levi makes athletic fit. They work good.

those are the athletic fit bby

How on fucking earth do I progress on power cleans?

Stuck on 90kg for the longest time, absolutely no idea how to break through this plateau

do more power cleans and front squats. unless you have bad form or suck at pulling, that's all you need.

technique problems?

>do more power cleans
doesn't work

>unless you have bad form or suck at pulling
form/technique I've been practicing for the entire duration of this plateau
pulling is all I'm good at in the first place

I think I'm about ready to just give up on lifting

>pick up a new lift
>progress to a certain point
>hit absolutely impassable plateau
>spin my wheels anywhere from a few months to a full year
>give up on the lift
rinse and repeat
I obviously don't drop it entirely, just stop focusing on it

Not in any other aspect on life have I ever been stuck on something for so fucking long without progress

Is anybody else here as worthless at lifting as I am?
at my wits end atm

You just have shit programming is all
Linear progression only lasts you for so long

Can someone linear progress to 100/120.
From which point on is a program recommend?

Once you start to stall hehe

Your coach should know really. If you have weak hips for example and you lose lots of explosiveness when it gets a bit heavy, your coach could write more pulls below knees. If your core starts to give up easily, more front squats and core work. If you suck at getting under the bar fast, exercises like drop snatches and snatch/clean from power position. This is stuff that helps you get through sticking points faster than just doing stuff in a linear fashion. In oly lifting you just can't pick a program like SS to get you far. This is more than strength training.

SS doesn't usually get people far in general strength training either.

progressive overload can get you quite far if you don't care about weight classes

It gets them a lot further

You can become advanced on lp like ss

In Olympic lifting you'll stall on lp when you're still a novice

coming from someone who has stalled from linear progression in olympic lifts, what's an alternative training method?

I've only ever been on SS (with added classics recently) so I'm pretty clueless about anything not lp

I have no clue how to program yeah, also no coach in a 500km radius

i backsquat 115 and front squat 105 so what dyou think you should do

You will not be hitting 'advanced' numbers on LP unless you're a genetic fucking freak on the level of Ray Williams. Most people don't get to a 315 squat that way, let alone 4-500+.

With oly lifting you need to work on your weakness. More off blocks or from hang if you need it that sort of thing. Don't just add kilos like on your squat. Work on speed, technique, positioning. On good days then you can try for a bit more. You have to learn when to push and when to just consolidate a bad day this is one of the lesser talked about parts of having a coach it isn't just about technique.

I don't think you know what advanced numbers are lad. At 80kg bodyweight a 163kg squat would be classed as advanced. That is incredibly easily reached on lp and literally the only reason not to even hit 3plates is laziness or being genetically fucked

besides and you could manipulate intensity, frequency, volume or add variaton

Of linear progression stops just move up a weight class. Boom infinite linear progression.

Ye unlimited gains unlimited bodyweight
It's why I'm so fat :^)

Damn coach really pushed me today. Hit PRs in all lifts

Snatch 87.5kg --> 92.5kg
C&J 105kg --> 112.5kg
BS 140kg --> 145kg

Spent like a hour in sauna after

>that guy who walks the weight out FORWARDS
>that guy who is ok with having ridiculous valgus
>that guy who wouldnt post his webms on fit if they had sound (you)

>Other events held outside surrounded by a huge stadium with lots of fans in the seats
>Weightlifting event is held in a dark warehouse

Why is this? Do the athletes just need to focus more than say, a hurdler?

Not that many people care about WL

Gj lad great day very nice pb on the c&j especially

>That guy way weaker than commie but still talks shit

We may all have our flaws.
But we also all have one thing in common.

10/10 oc there friend

you just need a tenth box way above the others with schtangist surrounded by a halo of light

9deadpeople.jpg

Hey guys. I wanted to ask in this thread since powerlifters mostly squat low bar;

I'm squatting high bar and my hips are shooting up when I ascend the squat and my back has to extend separately. I also feel like I'm falling forward a bit when I descend, basically I have no balance and my lower back is weak(?)

I don't want to switch to low bar due to elbow and shoulder pain and high bar feels more natural, but I'm seriously stuck on the same weight because I can't progress without form breakdown.

Any tips? Is it my back, my quads, my glutes being too strong? I can deadlift without any issue. Conventional.

Pretty fucking accurate

Best owg related content since the Geordie coach cooking his wrists

actually laughed well done

I'm hitting the same issue and front squats have helped. not that much of an expert though so maybe someone else can also chime in?

I'd be so stoked, seems like a cool guy

Whoever made this is a genius.

I made it thanks.

expected pounds, not kilos
good shit