goodreads.com/group/show/96979-natty-knights
thefuturebuzz.com/2010/04/12/why-you-need-enemies/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

besides maybe models. rest are shit

Are these some shitty how-to manuals?

>pay 20$ for this easy trick to get super rich
>pay 30$ to influence people and make everyone fall in love with you

Got most of them second hand and all for under 10€

These books get recommended a lot so I thought there couldnt be any harm in reading them.

please be bait

You haven't read any of them then. They're all good books.

Millionaire Fastlane

48 laws first, then mastery.

>models
got me my first date after high school, it's alright

>7 habits
not bad, could be way shorter, the book is a bore

>dale carnegie course
if it's like his most known book it's pretty good

>think and grow rich
i think its main point is bullshit, but it does go into long term planning and being honest with oneself which is pretty good

>no more mr nice guy
it's not bad, i don't agree with some of the points but the whole "put your own life first" idea is good i think

Haven't read the others. I think Greene is stupid though.

I've read all that shit, been to all those seminars and it's all surface level bullshit. What helped me become my best was a 12 step program and finding out the truth about myself and who I am.

That's just me though.

oh wait the striped one is 48 laws?

It's full of contradictions, and filler content. I don't think it's completely bad though, the idea of approaching issues with a cold calculating approach is good and it's not like I don't agree with some of the laws.

get awaken the giant within by tony robbins.

i'm in the middle of listening to Mastery - it's a really great book

The one that dale carnegie wrote

Anything by Dale Carnegie is basically the greatest shit ever.

>Veeky Forums approved reading list and self-help blurb
>made by some random anonymous poster in some random generic "recommend me books, Veeky Forums" thread

Those are good books though.

Currently listening to the charisma myth.

You only need Models and How to wind friends and etc. Then just get into philosophy, which they all steal from.

Do you ever pay attention to the people who recommend them?

Because in my experience they usually pretty mediocre.

Nah, what's good is The Iliad in the original Greek.

Oh, what's that? You have trouble comprehending, let alone enjoying, a book that was written for a completely different group of people during a completely different time which uses a completely different language?

You must be a pleb.

I am starting to believe that other than the ancient source texts, pic related is the only truly essential reading.
>unironically "reading" the Iliad
pleb

>C'MON IT'S CURRENT YEAR YOU DON'T NEED OLD BOOKS
I would literally kill myself if I were nearly half as pleb as you are.

>It's full of contradictions, and filler content.
Tell me more about the contradictions and filler content.

Read the SIG sticky.

Laws of power is shit . Dude who wrote that is obviously a bitter little bitch.

I thought The Charisma Myth wasn't too bad, certainly better than How to Win Friends...

Filler content is a million stores to illustrate a point, some of which may or may not be true if you ask a historian to review them.

Contradictions?
One tells you to act without analyzing and another to be bold, and then another tells you to plan out every little thing.
One tells you to get attention at all costs, another to behave like everybody else so you don't draw attention to yourself.
One tells you to attack someone that bothers you, another one to use your enemies.

And so on.

People will tell you that they are contextual, but that is just a bullshit excuse. If they were meant to be contextual then so much for being laws.

I'm not entirely hating on the book, but in business there's one thing called opportunity cost. You have X time to do something, then why read a book that's a little useful when that will cost you the opportunity to do something really useful like reading something great?

GOAT

I can see that the book club is still kicking a bit.
goodreads.com/group/show/96979-natty-knights

Just finished this. It's really repetitive, so if you understand the point in the first 3rd of the book, you don't really need to finish it imo

read actual literature in order to develop as a real person instead of reading cookbooks on how to meanufacture a facsimile of one

They are just taking ideas and using them.

How is that stealing?

In that way you are also stealing because you read philosophy and use it.

All of these are shallow trash. Why not read real philosophy instead of this get rich quick garbage?

>read philosophy

Are you retard?

This is decent list
op if that's not a bait ur an absolute degenerate, who the fuck(apart from total losers that those books are aimed at to make money) reads this how to books.. jesus christ man..

>Are you retard?

Are you?

My list goes

-Personal Problems
-Skills/Hobbies
-Self-help
-Philosophy
-Reading for entertainment (Can be anything interesting)

Currently reading "Stutter no More", "Moonwalking with Einstein(Getting back into memory training), and some language learning books.

Philosophy has been made obsolete by science. Philosophy worked when world couldn't be explained scientifically so philosopher was able to pull shit out from their ass. It would be better to study psychology and science.

The God Delusion

You mean it's a really great audio tape since you can't read?

Just read the 7 habits part about proactively doing shit. Then realize that every business book is a general repeat of this chapter.

A tip of the hat to you

so many memes man top kek

Reading "philosophy" over "self-help" because "self-help is just diluted philosophy" is pretty stupid because reading something like Kant's COPR, which is a fucking worthless slog, is not going to get you anywhere with your life whereas some shitty self-help book, ostensibly, will.

>using philosophy

good meme man

Read Models and throw the rest out. The time you will spend reading them all can be better spent outside actually improving instead.
You can watch hundreds of videos on how to play guitar, but you're not gonna get anywhere unless you actually pick it up and start playing.

>reading COPR without any background

dankest meme itt

>not reading moral philosophy which is ultimately the best form of self help

lel

> People will tell you that they are contextual, but that is just a bullshit excuse. If they were meant to be contextual then so much for being laws
Let's take your examples of "contradictions":
> One tells you to act without analyzing and another to be bold, and then another tells you to plan out every little thing.
This could work contextually, let's say you are in college and and you have a qt 3.14 girl in your class that you want to make her your GF but you want to be sure she will like you so you slowly find out her interest(type of humor, favorite musician, tv show, her favorite subject) so you can be her perfect man ideal you slowly change yourself over time to meet her ildeal needs you wear the shirt that has the name of her favoriter band on it. But you are also a club goer and one night you go to a club and see this 10/10 woman and see that she is with her girl friends and you really really really want to get her number or take her home and right now you don't have any information about her so you make a BOLD move and go talk to her because you don't know if you will see her again.
> One tells you to get attention at all costs, another to behave like everybody else so you don't draw attention to yourself.
Let's again say you are in college and you are at a party and you want to impress the qt 3.14 that is attending the same party how do you impress her and draw her attention? Ok I don't know how to get people's attentions at parties but if you are able to get attention you will look like a star and everyone will pay attention to you including the cutie. Let's say you are in class and the professor has an habit of humiliating people who doesn't read the chapter they were supposed to read the previous day so what do you do to avoid getting called out? Sit in the front with the nerds who studied and put on your know it all smug face. The teacher knows the ppl who didn't study will sit in the back and try to hide so they will be the ones called out.

Well I am convinced of your point that philosophy is the best and should be studied.

Silence speaks by eckhart tolle.
Get the audio version

please use science and psychology to form a good opinion about morality

you literally can't, unless you go muh utilitiarianism

You don't know what philosophy is.

How has formal logic been made obsolete by science?

What has science done to make empirical observation useless?

You do know the scientific method is based upon philosophical principles/axioms?

You are a layman posing as a knowledgeable fellow

>muh utilitiarianism

Is still ethics.

You can use the scientific method to aid your ethics, but you literally cannot science up an ethical system.

This guy is probably trolling and/or retarded.

Here are some reasons you NEED enemies: thefuturebuzz.com/2010/04/12/why-you-need-enemies/
If they are no danger to you or your status keep them around and foster their hatred of you but if they are around and are causing you considerable damage crush them completely.

>People will tell you that they are contextual, but that is just a bullshit excuse. If they were meant to be contextual then so much for being laws.
Are you saying this would be better if there was another word rather than law?

>step 1; stop spending money on anything you can create or buy for less or get for free.
(Stop eating out, ordering out, stop buying shit with a mark up- live like you are poor, at the very least you will learn to plan)

>step 2: invest that money into self.
(Unfortunately we live in a capatilized world so money equates to practcally everything. Don't see this as shallow as everyone else does; investing your finances into yourself doesn't mean buying a faster car or bigger house; educate yourself, get better nutrition, medical care, etc etc)

>Step 3: realize, from step 1 and 2, that everything you want is intrinsically shallow; why do you want to self improve?
(It's inevitably to achieve shallow or instant ends)

>there is no such thing as self improvement. Walking that path only leads you to becoming more inferior to yourself.

>Are you retard?

lmao if you dont understand the importance of philosophy, you are an uneducated shit

I agree with what you say, but don't forget your fedora on the way out

easy there edgelord

What a shitty, pants-on-head, retarded argument.

Definition of Obsolete: no longer produced or used; OUT OF DATE.

oh god you are retarded or trolling

literally utilitianiarism

Except people still use the scientific method.

People still make moral decisions.

People still decide what would be best for themselves in life.

People still use logic.

etc.

You obviously don't know what philosophy is so here's the (YOU) you so desperately want.

models, superior man, dale carnegie are good.
Models+GLL pretty much remade me in terms of how I viewed woman. I have been working on myself for years (From obese, socially anxious basement dweller to normie) and brutal honesty wet panties like no bodies buisness once I accepted myself for who I was.

Throw the rest out.

Greene is fun for the stories but don't take it remotely seriously. Guy had a shitty get talked down to and told to get coffee in hollywood job until he finally blew the right person or got the right dirt then he made formulaic generic books to SELL and leveraged his contacts to the hilt.

There are free libraries of better info being written by "millionare fastlane" and other "self help gurus" who never accomplished anything other than *entreprentur mindset*. Which should tell you my opinion on that tripe.

and induction is impossible so there is that...

>induction is impossible

Not it's conclusions just aren't necessarily true.

I can't prove that eating food will satiate my hunger every time, but I'm damn sure I'm not gonna stop eating.

>implying we do not have modern philosophers

outdated advice, but an entertaining story if youre into the topic.
the mentioned Models is the "modern" PU, and it just goes back to "lead and interesting life and actually approach women u faggot"

Yes they are either educator or my local barista.

Philosophers have been academics for over a century now.

OP,
highly recommend "Richest Man in Babylon". great read and in the similar self-improvement realm.

Necessary for all men. Gets dense a little, but underline and annotate what you find valuable.

>2016
>Spending THIS MUCH of your life reading retarded 'pick-up artist' books
>Pandering this much to females
>Deluding yourself that this is 'self improvement'
>Being this much of a fake-ass, punk-ass motherfucker

Let me tell you all something: Know who falls for this so-called 'PUA' shit? Dumb club whores with two-digit IQs.
QUALITY women? With above-average IQs? Emotionally stable? Drama-free? They'll reject you even FASTER because of this shit, because you are a huge waste of their time, and inside of 30 seconds they figure that out.

Get a decent education. Have a decent career. Pursue and develop your own interests. Develop your OWN, UNIQUE personality. It's called 'being real' and it gets respect, unlike this stupid shit.

Know who benefits from these rediculous books? The author and the publisher. It's all a fucking troll, don't fall for it.

>No marcus aurelius
Full pleb

Are you confusing magic and philosophy user

>buying all those meme books and wasting all that time reading those meme books when all user has to do is force his socially retarded ass out into the world

cmon son.

If you are a massive beta read no more mr nice guy first

Is this b8? Models is a book literally about >Get a decent education. Have a decent career. Pursue and develop your own interests. Develop your OWN, UNIQUE personality. It's called 'being real' and it gets respect

It says not to fake it and PUA.

>the bible
>how to meet the rich
>think and grow rich
>the prince
>power,money,sex,fame
>David Geffen biography
>48 laws of power
>

Mastery is quite inspirational. I found it to be enlightening and motivational for myself which is reallly all that matters, no matter how you get there. It delves into your life's task, what makes you passionate and makes you tick. Get after it. Become an expert in something and acquire the knowledge to where you advanced thinking about said thing is fluid.

4/5

>rollo tomassi book:

havent found the full audiobook version as a torrent but listened to the first chapter. 7/10

>48 laws of power
> mastery

I love robert greene's shit. mastery is a lot more to take in than 48 laws, for sure. start with 48 and save mastery for later. 9/10, 10/10

>david deita: amazing book. probably start with this one honestly 10/10

>stephen covey: another amazing book. read this second. 9/10

>napoleon hill: probably the most dense book out of all of these, but less tangible because it was written a while ago. still great. read this third. 8/10

>mj demarco: pretty good, although the car analogies get old after a while. this dude loves the internet, probably because he made his fortune off of it. 7.5/10

>no more mr. nice guy: pretty good as well. if youre a piece of shit faggot that cant stand up for himself this one might be a game-changer. 6.5 if youre confident, 8 if youre not confident /10

>dale carnegie course: only one i havent read but if its anything like "how to win friends" then it will be great. ?/10

>peacock lady book: im reading this one now. it seems great even though its written by some dumb broad (AMIRITE GUYS??) probably 8 out of 10 im only on chapter 3 you faggot fucks

>throw out napoleon hill

yo nigga, i think you done fucked up

Induction is deductively true in the right settings lmao.

Self improvement books are a meme. If your life's shit, reading some magic book won't help. It has to come from you. The lightbulb has to want to change. Same goes for drugs.

Don't be a dick with these how to nonsense. Get Marcus Aurelius and learn how to be a man

>Self improvement books are a meme
>offers advice that is literally the most spouted meme advice that can possibly be given

ah yes

>I haven´t gotten laid in 5 years: the collection

I wish it was only 5 years...

What, you start doing shit on your own and your life will become so much better so quickly you almost won't believe it. I was thinking in cliche because I am drunk, but still, there's truth to it if you know what I mean.

why dont' you also buy ayn rand and pretend that she was a philospher you faggot.

just curious if anyone here doesnt live with their parents and still likes ayn rand

Shortcuts and instant "solutions". I'm not totally against such books but you might want to consider some more profound literature later on, as others here have suggested.

10/10 list but half of those books would literally give the average poster here an aneurysm if they tried to read them. This would be like an intermediate level list.

Sorry to hear that

Modern self-help literature is mostly superficial and trite; the market for that stuff only exists because people feel inadequate with their lives and mistakenly believe that the books offer useful advice because they want to be happier/more successful/etc.

You should read something that broadens your worldview and challenges you intellectually. Try Leo Tolstoy if you're into fiction or Emma Goldman if you're into political theory or an ancient work of mythology, or basically anything that isn't similar in content to what you originally posted.

These books are the equivalent of bullshit routines you see on bodybuilding.com that say "get ripped in 12 weeks".

self improvement books are what you make of them. they can help you immensely or do absolutely nothing for you depending on how you use them. they just give people with a tendency to overthink a way to view the world that is structured and step based. i'd rather see some guy who wants more sex and a gf read some books and take some ideas from them than go out to a bar 4 nights a week wearing his flame shirt and fedora.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Do less.

Don't get the models audiobook. It's shit.

> Sun Tzu
> not Clausewitz

Enjoy your Eastern gimmick.