Is sushi relatively healthy?

Is sushi relatively healthy?

Like, it's just rice and salmon right? How bad could it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

medicaldaily.com/new-low-calorie-rice-cooking-method-could-cut-60-calories-your-body-absorbs-326666
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Think seaweed has estrogen or some shit in it

Expensive but pretty healthy

As long as your body can handle a bit of raw fish, it's pretty good. Don't over do soy sauce though. Super salty.

americans put mayo in it.

I got a pack with like 8 pieces of sushi in it at the supermarket. I checked and it came to like 350 calories. I don't remember the macros but that's not too bad.

Yea it's pretty healthy
>in b4 the carbs haters

it's pretty lean w/ good fats if u make them right

American here. I have NEVER seen this happen.

It's what top tier bodybuilders eat now, instead of chicken&broccoli.

if you stick with sashimi or nigiri its preddy nice

idiots order TEMPURA FAKE CRAB SHRIMP ROLL WITH EXTRA SAUCE AND AVOCADO, best sushi is just the raw tasty fishies (and mackerel)

It's great if you love carbs.

best sushi is the salmon nigiri.

Sushi is delicious and very healthy but I would need quite a few of it to fill me up as a snack.

If you live in America you don't have to worry about raw fish unless you're making it yourself. The FDA requires all fish to be eaten raw to be frozen for seven days at -4f (-20c) to kill any parasites.

That's only on gross shit like winter rolls or whatever

Brown rice option always healthier but disgusting.

Idk about mayo but i have seen cream cheese in sushi in cheap Chinese buffets and some of the Publix sushi takeout boxes.

I see lot more rolls that have that orange-colored shit sauce on them, which is mayo based. But yeah, sushi without that shitty mayo sauce and aren't stuffed with cream cheese is about the healthiest thing you can get.

What's an healty mayo alternative? something creamy to add to shit but that's not fat as fuck.

Mashed avacado, wasabi, or even light mayo.

Anything cream based is milk based and thus fatty.

uhh yeah if u keep it basic sushi is real good.

sushi/tuna/chicken/prawn + avocado

nothing else.

>healthy
Can this bzzword be defined or at least posts including it ignored?

Go ahead and ignore it you autist

the lunch specials are great tho.. like 2-4$ for a roll

These nigga know, you need to eat NIGIRI, not some fat ass roll some americna invented. Salmon, rice, seaweed. Thats all you need basically. Anything with sauces or cream cheese is disgusting and shouldnt even be called sushi.
Thats true, fat ass's make those rolls and pour mayo based sauces on them and have cream cheese in some rolls. Again that shouldnt even be called sushi.

Get the real shit, Nigiri, its way better and way better for you.
Unfortunaterly yes in america it is expensive. You need to find a sushi go round like they have in Japan, ive heard there are some in california but who knows. When i was in japan it was 1$ per plate that had 2 peices of Nigiri. So wed gorge and only spend like 12 bucks. It was the tits.

thats like asking
>are sandwiches healthy? just meat and bread how bad could that be
there are some kinds of sushi with good macros, and some that are a disaster. pretty easy to tell the difference

>not tuna
costanza-san.jpg

its in the California rolls

I usually ask for some spicy mayo. But other than that, I literally never saw this happen

asians in the thread, call Sonderkommandos!

White here bro. Was in Japan in 2012 while in the navy doing a hull swap. We were there for 3 months and we fucking feasted on sushi all the time.
Idiot all those sausces they put all over those big rolls are mayo based. real sushi has no sauces on it like that. Eel sauce maybe and soy on the side thats it.

Nice buzzword
GUYZ IS THIS HEALGHY XD'?????!?!??!

>not toro

There's never any sauces they put on the rolls????

Bro think about it, americans take other peoples food and fatten them up as much as possible. It shouldnt be a suprise we took sushi, basically removed the fish and added mayo and cream cheese instead.
So correct, no fucking fat ass sauces.

Can confirm the sushi go rounds were fucking tits in japan. They need them in merica but they wouldn't be as good

any california roll or faux crabmeat "sushi" will have mayo in it

>Idiot all those sausces they put all over those big rolls are mayo based. real sushi has no sauces on it like that. Eel sauce maybe and soy on the side thats it.
They do put sauce on some pieces of sushi in Japan. Eel with teriyaki sauce and some piece with some kind of mayo-based salad thing. Also grilled salmon with melted cheese on.

IIFYM

wait what? i didn't know they ate cheese in japan

Not as much and the cheese isn't as good but they do eat cheese. They drink milk too and you can buy it everywhere, but I think that all milk sold in Japan is lactose-free. That grilled cheese-salmon sushi was greasy but good. Best sushi is monkfish liver though, it's a shame they don't have it at sushi places here.

they also lose their shit over KFC, thats our gift in exchange for fish weed rolls

>has literally asked for mayo
>literally never saw it happen
fucking americans

estrogen is killed in the gut...

Op you probably eat garbage fat loaded sushi. If you ever had real sushi from a good sushi place it tastes very different.

the healthy alternative is to do your own mayo
just an egg, olive oil and lemon
great for bulking
but very expensive if you don't live in the mediterranean

get a natural yougurt and add some lemon, garlic, and salt.
add parsley for optimum results

If you're eating actual sushi, which is little to no flavor additives beyond wasabi it's pretty good for you. Carbs, lean meats, few vegetables.
If you're eating westernized sushi which has a ton of sauces on it usually, it's no better or worst than your average meal.

Miso soup is goat though.

>the fucking board is called health and fitness
>the word healthy is prohibited

>healthy mayo alternative

lol

It's called fitness you washed up rusty tard

fug off in Mexico we have sushi with chipotle-mayo sauce and it's awesome

>Ctrl+F
>Sugar

Has nobody commented on this yet? Besides the fact that sushi is usually made with white rice (not bad, but certainly not as healthy as brown rice - less fiber, less protein, fewer micronutrients, etc), most sushi recipes call for sugar.

It's not a ton of sugar generally, but between the refined sugar, the nutrition-stripped white rice, the sodium-laden soy sauce, and (as some people have pointed out) the cream-based crap that is often put in there, sushi can be far from ideal.

Better solution? Make your own sushi. I know, I know, there's the old weeb meme that you need to be a master with years of training to make perfect sushi. That's some bullshit for the purpose of keeping some low-useful-tier chefs in high demand, and to keep whatever the old rich Japanese versions of hipsters are feeling high-status.

Make your own sushi; this shit is easy. Find a simple recipe where the rice only calls for rice vinegar and sugar... then take out the sugar. You probably won't even notice, but if you do, you can sweeten it up by using apple cider vinegar instead of rice vinegar. Use brown rice if you like it; I do, but I know a lot of people don't. If you don't know how to prepare raw fish, you can grill your fish and refrigerate it to serve it cold - just as good. If you need something creamy on it, use avocado. If you want it in rolls, buy sheets of Nori seaweed and do it yourself. If you're crap at rolling, any decent Asian grocery store will have super cheap bamboo rolling mats to make the process simple and fast.

I like the flavor and don't care about the shape, so I do it the easy way - I just make sushi bowls with nori or wakame cut up into it, rather than rolled in seaweed.

The extra benefit of this? You'll find out that good sushi is super cheap to make, and you've been wasting your money on restaurant bullshit for years. One of the simplest, cheapest, least skillful meals ever, despite the prices we roundeyes pay for it.

Yeah be careful. You're clearly a plate of sushi away from wearing dresses and loving dick.

Spicy tuna is usually 1:1 sriracha and kewpie with tuna.

I love this girl, who is she

>she

>I have no idea what I'm talking about
you really belong on mens fitness or some womens fitness website if you think brown rice has any real benefit over white rice. Brown rice has roughly 1g more fiber per 100g than white, which is so insignificant, and the micros have barely any difference. You're pretty much one of those retards who blindly follows the whole whole grain organic gluten free non-gmo type shit without having any idea what it means.

>points out that white rice isn't bad, but does have less health benefits than brown rice
>angrily replies that brown rice only minor health benefits over white rice, therefore white rice isn't bad, contradicting nothing that was said

You sound like a reasonable dude.

Sushi is amazingly healthy as far as fast food goes, by virtue of being simple food with few ingredients, so you can easily identify what you're eating. Let's take a look:
>Is fish healthy?
Fish is healthy, it is rich in proteins, some of it in omega-3 fatty acids too.
>Is rice, rice vinegar and a smidge of sugar healthy?
It's passable.
>Is dried seaweed healthy?
Absolutely!
>What about pickled seaweed?
Yep!
>Are vegetables healthy?
Most vegetables, perhaps save for avocado, are low in calories, but nonetheless they likely have the micros you need.
>Is soy sauce and wasabi and ginger healthy?
You're only using a few grams, it's not like it's heroin.
>Is miso soup healthy?
Oh yeah.

Make it yourself, and you can have perfect control of the macros.

it's pretty good for a refeed

>Make it yourself, and you can have perfect control of the macros.
This is the perfect answer for pretty much any "is X healthy?" questions.

Basic cooking techniques should be part of any Veeky Forumsizen's arsenal.

>Is sushi relatively healthy?
Yeah. However cheaper places will cheap out on the fish and you'll get a pretty worse fish:rice ration just stay on the lookout for that

The sugar is in sushi rice to help it get the sticky consistency it needs to be, well, sushi rice.

If you buy short grain rice and steam it correctly, it can be just as sticky without sugar. Not particularly difficult.

There is a thing called Japanese mayonnaise guise

This
I make my own nigiri at home it's super easy and delicious as fuk
All that crap about five million dollar knives you need for each different cut of fish is only for chefs anyway
Tldr get a 35$ knife some fish some rice and just put some sushi vinegar on the rice after you cook it and stir. No need for sugar

Sushi doesn't need sugar to be sticky. They use a starchy short grained rice which is sticky to begin with.

Ummmmmmm, this is a reminder that if you don't eat eel sashimi, you're pretty much never going to make it in life

They aren't all this cheap, just the cheap ass shit tier sushi. Most are 2-3 bucks which is around the same in america (provided you aren't going to some insanely expensive place).. Then again I'm cali idk how it is in other parts of the country.

kek

Ma nigga.

medicaldaily.com/new-low-calorie-rice-cooking-method-could-cut-60-calories-your-body-absorbs-326666

cut rice's calories by 50-60%. Suddenly sushi is always good. It also only works when it's kept cooled. So you can't reheat the rice. I'll take that tradeoff.

I agree wholeheartedly. I used to browse Veeky Forums a lot, but it wasn't before I started wrapping my head around calorie counting and macro management that I really started to have fun with cooking real food instead of the abominations you'd find recipes for on Veeky Forums.
>Buying a massive slab of meat or catching some fish
>Trimming off excess fat, cutting out loins, cheeks, tongues, livers, roes, hearts, steaks, ribs, grinding, salting, marinating, rubbing, tenderising, hanging, drying, smoking
And after a day of fun fun fun butchering and prepping and grilling you come on Veeky Forums and have people singing the praise of the McDouble and swearing up and down how 21 grams of protein isn't bad for 370 calories.

Depends, I work in a sushi restaurant and from what i've gathered, the nori (seaweed thing) is used a lot in Japanese cuisine. So it would not have that much of a negative impact on you, however some sushi has fucking mayo in it which is fucking retarded in my opinion. We make one such roll, with mayo, avocado and crab stick. Literally shit tier. come to think of it we put cream cheese in almost everything aside from the ones that have fried skin or tempura inside them. The hosomaki (pic related) is a bit better as we only serve that with cucumber or salmon inside. Personally I would suggest nigiri only as the only stuff that goes on top of it is toping which you can remove if you don't like.

>implying carbs are bad

>Implying proteins and fats aren't more important.

2/5 of fit is permabulk, 2/5 is permaskelly. at least 15% doesn't lift. Only 5% actually switches up food I guess.

Going rate is 7-10 dollars a roll in Chicago.

The only thing that's stopped me eating sushi lately is that I don't know how many fucking calories it has depending on the place I buy it and how I should record those calories in MFP.
>do they mean sushi roll as in a single piece or a 6-piece roll?
>why doesn't it have this fairly common flavour of sushi in the database?
>this store has their own invented flavour of sushi (wakame salad sushi roll) how am I supposed to know the nutritional info on that?
>why do the entries for this one flavour all have differing calories recorded?
>what if this store's proportions of meat/rice are different to what's online?

>not going out to eat because you can't log it
holy ed batman

Sushi is white rice, which is unhealthy, filled with fish, which is more unhealthy when combined with the rice (twice the insulin response) and is the most chemically contaminated food on the planet, usually dipped in soy sauce which is basically salt and also unhealthy

No, sushi typically isn't healthy

INARIZUSHI IS BEST SUSHI

oh yeah bud what foods are "healthy"

>white rice
>unhealthy

Ok you mainstream faggot. Tell that to all the fucking asians who eat this shit with every meal.

Beets, oats, carrots, grapes, pinto beans, mushrooms, spinach, rye, peas etc

Not refined rice starch mixed with chemical waste and dunked in salt juice

I'll have to tell it to the ones that haven't yet died of diabetic complications or hemorragic stroke

I do go out to eat. I just don't get things I can't record properly. For example, I can still go to Grill'd because they have fucking amazing burgers and they post their nutritional info online. I also discovered Sumo Salad posts all nutritional info online AND they make peri peri chicken wraps (holy motherfuck they are good).

I just don't eat japanese as much now because who knows if this sushi roll or this bowl of teriyaki chicken with rice is going thousands of calories over what's recorded online, due to proportions or some high-calorie ingredient or some shit. Most japanese places don't give a shit about posting nutritional info (for reference: a lot of fast food diners in Australia at least post the kilojoule content).

If there's no other choice, I'll get japanese (and I do love it) I just won't trust my calories for that day.

>vegan paleo faggot

>works in a sushi restaurant
>calls nori the seaweed thing
Are you like a busboy or something?

Gtfo

Bump

There's an all you can eat sushi place near me. Would stopping there every week help a bulk if I eat 4 rolls?

Bro, unless you're taking your scale with you there's no way to find out. While fast food places are pretty much all the same, sushi restaurants can make the rolls larger, denser, use more rice, etc.

Just 4 rolls?
>Would stopping there every week help a bulk
Why wouldn't it?

Just eat sashimi tou fuckin cunts. No carbs and fixes your problems of eating too much rice. Plus fucking pleb americans eating like they know what the fucking taste is so amusing.

freezing the fish ruins the sushi

You must've never been to a sushi restaurant in American then nigger , the spicy sauce is mostly mayo in california/salmon rolls

>What is spicy mayo?