Why exactly does the "mainstream" think of the Republicans as the "good guys" in the Spanish Civil War?

Why exactly does the "mainstream" think of the Republicans as the "good guys" in the Spanish Civil War?

Other urls found in this thread:

libertaddigital.com/opinion/ideas/gano-el-frente-popular-las-elecciones-de-febrero-de-1936-1276219754.html
youtube.com/watch?v=81RhewkQbOk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because they represent a myriad of ideologies while, fascists just represented one way and oppression.

>i hate da fascists

Because the "mainstream" in Western countries supports democracy, and the Republicans at least included all the pro-democracy people, even if they had anti-democratic elements as well, whereas the Nationalists were 100% authoritarian. Not that hard to understand.

w e w

> Since more than 150 years of humillations and clearly incompetence, finally, the spanish people overthrown the bourbon monarchy and estabilish an advanced democratic republic.

> Maybe too modern for the common spaniard

> The army, the Church, and the upper classes went mad and made a coup, betraying their own country.

> 40 years of isolation and backwardness

They were clearly the good ol boyz.

Because they stigmatize the Nationalists for accepting extensive aid from Hitler, while giving the Republicans a pass for accepting aid from Stalin.

The reality was that a "Republican" victory could easily have led to Spain becoming a Stalinist shithole.

They were the democratically elected government defending democracy and freedom (until stalinists started fucking everything up as always).

>fascists just represented one way and oppression.
>carlists, catholic authoritarians, monarchists, industrialists, feudal landowners, catholic peasantry, militarists, falangists, social conservatives, radical nationalists
i don't even support the nationalists but it's retarded to say that they were all "fascist"

Because people don't like the side that established a 40 year ultra-Catholic dictatorship perhaps?

>fascist
This word refers to authoritarian reactionaries which all of those were.

>The reality was that a "Republican" victory could easily have led to Spain becoming a Stalinist shithole.
Sure, but that would be because the fascist coup forced them to make concessions to stalin.

Also using moroccan infantry to rape spanish women shows how deeply Franco loves Spain

No it doesn't

Because the other side worked with Nazis......?

In this context it does.

No it doesn't. I've never heard any actual historian describe the Carlists or the like as fascist. In this context, the only fascists are the Falangists.

according to the very sloppy and imprecise lay definition and left-wing rhetoric, it does. but according to the academic and historical definition, yours is a total farce that is purely emotional with any explanatory value

without*

>m-muh democrahcee and freedomz!!!
how can i tell youre an amerifat?

>you need to be a burger to value democracy and freedom

t. burger

Nope.

Normies shit on Franco because he had a tentative alliance with Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy (while ignoring that Franco did everything he could to weasel his way out of it and in the case of the Jews, outright defied Hitler). The Republicans are seen as acceptable because they were nominally fighting for a democratic Spain and had many volunteers from Western Democracies fighting on their behalf.

Oh yeah and Primo de Rivera>everyone else

>Le Spanish Republic was democratic meme
>Ugh the common Spaniard was like so backwards, clearly enlightened wealthy leftists know what's good for them
>Le upper class meme, nvm that commies are known for mostly being wealthy and working class is traditionalist
>Le backwardness meme, nvm the Spanish Miracle
>Le isolation was the fault of the Nationalists meme
Kek, any more leftist propaganda you want to fit in there?

The spanish republic was democratic. The average spaniard was not traditionalist, in part due to the way the church had favored their exploiters. The reds got 47% of the vote in the last elections before the civil war, with over one and a half million being affiliated to the CNT, an anarcho syndicalist union, so it's hard to pretend most of the country was particularly traditionalist.

>Le upper class meme, nvm that commies are known for mostly being wealthy and working class is traditionalist
Maybe in modern USA, but not in 1930s Spain you ignorant fool

Most of the votes were for the right wing and the center, most of the votes were literally not for the Popular Front. Also, if you can read Spanish, you might want to check this out.
libertaddigital.com/opinion/ideas/gano-el-frente-popular-las-elecciones-de-febrero-de-1936-1276219754.html

As for the anarchists, they had gangs that roamed the streets murdering people they didn't like (read about what they did to priests and nuns for example), they had literal concentration camps, they looted. I wonder how many of those affiliations were voluntary.

Also, citation needed on the average Spaniard not being traditionalist partly because the Church had "helped their exploiters".

> Let me tell you about your country

>Spanish Civil War
>mainstream

Nigga, get the fuck out. If you asked 10 random people on the streets "who were the good guys in Spanish civil war?" 10 out of 10 times you would get the answer "Spanish civil war?". It is in no way a mainstream thing even knowing that such a thing happened.

The real answer is, however, there were no good guys. As some people have already said ITT, the republicans were nominally fighting for democracy, although it is safe enough to assume that Spain would have turned into a Stalinistic shithole if they would have won. The only good thing nationalists have done, on the other hand, is keeping Spain out of WW2. Other than that, they were pure garbage.

That's not how elections work, sweetie
The bloc which got the most votes was the popular front

youtube.com/watch?v=81RhewkQbOk

Unsourced claims by a nobody that contradict best historian's estimates. From Brenan's The Spanish Labyrinth:
>The elections resulted in a victory, by a narrow margin, for the Popular Front. The Right (in which must now be included the Catalan Lliga) gained 3997000 votes, the Popular Front 4700000 and the Centre 449000.To these must be added the Basque Nationalists, with 130000 votes; this party, though Catholic and Conservative, was to give its adherence to the Popular Front just before the outbreak of the Civil War.
In any case, there was a vast portion of the population that wasn't traditionalist.

>I wonder how many of those affiliations were voluntary.
Wondering is not an argument.

Anticlerical sentiment can be found much earlier than the civil war. Pic related is from bookchin's book, which has a good amount of examples.

That's why I put it in quotes.

Because of that Picasso painting of Guernica while they've also been martyred for trying to set up some retarded anarcho-syndicalist system that would have destroyed their culture.

Because they are

Who's the mainstream then? Sure, the Nationalists were pro-Axis, but even when I was in high-school, curriculum openly stated that republicans were supported by Soviet Union, and they were depicted as evil dickbags.

I'm from Eastern Europe though, so your experiences might be different. Still, I can't recall a single time when Republicans were seriously called the "good guys" in an unbiased article, book or something.

Stalin actually fucked them over.

>they had literal concentration camps
*revisionism intensifies*

>His citation is literally an excerpt frpm some Bakunin book that basically amounts to "uh plebs hated the Church and the bourgeoise, these guys said so, and also these attacks somehow are representative of that"
Ironic that you criticize the link I posted when that is your citation. Why should I assume those attacks were representative of the population at large?

Regarding the election topic, you said it yourself: "estimates". This should raise questions. Anyway, I recommend "1936. Fraude y violencia en las elecciones del Frente Popular".

And if you say "wondering is not an argument" despite the fact that the murderous anarchists ran rampant committing attrocities, it seems like you are quite naive.

>Ironic that you criticize the link I posted when that is your citation.
What he says is supported by the act of burning churches.

They had prison labor camps, user.

Which isn't representative of the population at large.

>Which isn't representative of the population at large.
M8, around half the population was voting for the left whether you like it or not. Sure, the other half was voting for the right, but you're pretending that the working class as a whole was traditionalist which is ridiculous.

Anyone who knows about the existence of the Spanish Civil War.

My teacher agrees that De Rivera should have taken power
Viva la Muerte

So basically nobody. Ive met people who didn't know who Stalin was.

Dumb people like good guy/bad guy narratives. Simple things that fit their already established world view. The same types of people who gravitate towards political extremes out of fitting in with other people rather than doing any reading of philosophizing on the matter themselves.

>Le
Stop that shit, it's fucking annoying, makes you look like a retard and makes your argument less persuasive. Just write normal.

>This word refers to authoritarian reactionaries

>democracy are what allied countries are
>fascists are the guys who blew up allied countries

so basically the same reason some people aren't very fond of muslims

Because retard
They were fighting for democracy against nazi-backed rebels

>Communist uprisings mostly consisted of wealthy leftists

>Viva la Muerte
Still the single best battlecry there is.

Let me guess, you think Hitler's base of support was from the working class?

carlist werent fascist, it is a separate thing

>while giving the Republicans a pass for accepting aid from Stalin.
Implying they had a choice after France and the UK backed out, trying to appease the Axis.

Cuz tehy are not cool guyz like you who know democrazy iz a failure and dictatorzhip iz the 1 tru way!

Can someone give me a quick rundown on Primo de Rivera?

Who were the face of the nationalists in the civil war.