PPL thread

Let's discuss PPL (push, pull, legs)

IMHO it is good for everyone except pro level competitors. Great frequency without overlapping/doing same muscle 2 days in a row like single body part splits. I've been doing it for a year and made food progress. It is easily customized and makes switching up exercises based on how you feel very essy. Good for strength and aesthetics, can be an amazing program for almost any goal. I also like that it's more a template than a program, and teaches you how to make your own workouts, which is extremely important cuz "one size fits all" programs are retarded.

However the one problems is arms. Triceps with chest And shoulders, back with biceps. If you work out 6 days a week, you only work arms twice. For this reason I've created my own thing.

PPLA (Push, pull, legs, aesthetics)

On my A day I do:

Forearms
Calves
Bicep/tricep
Abs and obliques

These muscles need to be hit Very often to grow. My chest and back have developed great, but abs arms and calves suck.

Within a month of doing this my weak points are noticeably better. Usually do PPLAxPPLAx to give arms a rest before push ands pull.

Even for natty folk this won't overwork.. as long as you eat a ton, learn what volume, intensity, and length is best for you. Did this natty for 9 months never less than 5 days a week. Never burned out. For the last 5 or so months ive been on 500-750 test cyp/week snd holy shit the frequency is blowing me up.

Questions, comments, flaming, name-calling, derailing, discuss.

This could also somewhat be applied to PHUL in a similar manner. I like PHUL for the same reasons, I just dont like that you can overwork/do the same muscle days in a row if you don't pay attention.

I always thought "arm day" was a meme for curlbros but unless you have genetically gifted arms, you will probably need to work arms 3-4x/week.

Another option here is to do /push+biceps/legs+abs/pull+triceps/ rest/, repeat as this is basically the same idea, just split up the A day and put the exercises in the ideal day for adequate rest period.

Here's a quick example

Push:

-Bb flat bench 5x5 heavy
-db incline 4x8
-Dip-machine 3x10
-chest fly 3x10
-Lateral raise 4x12
-tricep extension 4x10
-Decline dB 5x5 heavy
-finisher superset tricep pushdowns with cable flies starting low ending high 3x12 lightweight each

Pull:
-bent over row 3x10
-lat pulldown (concentrate on adduction Rather than hyperextension for lats) 4x8
-Db row 4x8
-cable back fly, high to low, concentrate on traps 3x12 lightweight
-mschine curls 3x10
-row machine upper back 3x10
-row machine lats 3x10
-finisher superset curls and -mschine pullover 3x12 lightweight

Legs:
-Squat 5x5 hwavy
-Calf raise 4x12
-diddly 5x5 heavy
-hamstring -machine curl 3x10
-leg extension 3x10
-good morning 4x8 lightweight
-finisher superset squat machine 5x5 with seated calf raise 4x12

Aesthetics:
-reverse curls 3x10
-tricep pushdown 3x10
-calf raise 3x10
-plate press (abs) 4x8 heavy
-mschine crunches 4x15 lightweight
-forearm curl top and bottom 3x12 per arm per side alternating top bottom
-superset Machine curls and skill crushers 4x12

I do a dickload of volume. It works well for me. It may not for you.

i feel like for most nobices/natty fags, what matters most is stradily building volume on core lifts. this is done best with a basic fullbody split ex. squattimg 3x per week vs twice or even only once per 5 days. for advanced trainees this same principle might not hold but hell, if youre looking for splits on the 'chon odds are you arent advanced.

My last piece of advice is to use a variety of grips for curls and triceps. -Tricep pushdown switching between plans up and palms 3 sets of each for 8 reps, alternating arms, is absolutely amazing. You need to hit both heads, biceps and triceps, to look good. Reverse curls are amazing for the brachialis (outside of arm between bi and tri) and makes you look much more full

Make tweaks and small changes to grip, weight, or type of machine you use for arm isolation. Variety is key here.

I guess that's true but I think hitting all muscle groups twice a week is good. I like more volume, but those who don't deal with it well, upper/lower or full body mat be better. I just don't like it cuz those require you to be resting 3-4x/week for proper recovery.

If you can handle volume (work your way up, don't do my thing your first month) and are ready to go all in, there are very few programs that are this even and complete. But not everyone has time to work out 6x/week (just kidding you have the time you lazy bitches you just would rather play vidya)

SS may still be a good thing fir the first 1-3 months if you are very weak and inexperienced. But I see noobs doing single body part splits and cringe st how much faster theyd gain with PPL(A)

PPL a shit.

U/L or full body 3x per week is superior for natty gains.

so I'm trying to catch my shoulders up in size and strength. I neglected training them for months because I have bad shoulders. It will take the same number of months to build them up. What should my shoulder routine be?

I'm natural lifter, are side and front raises a meme?

I'd do front and lateral raises after ohp.

I find push days tend to be dominated by my chest. I was wondering how every ensures those delts get a good blast on a PPL routine?

Push
Pull
Legs
>Aesthetics

Just do Bench ,OHP and facepulls.

Side and front raises are, imho, the best isolation or maybe exercise in general for shoulders. -Db incline is great too, ohp is too vertical more traps.

What did he mean by this???

>Aesthetics:
>-reverse curls 3x10
>-tricep pushdown 3x10
>-calf raise 3x10
>-plate press (abs) 4x8 heavy
>-mschine crunches 4x15 lightweight
>-forearm curl top and bottom 3x12 per arm per side alternating top bottom
>-superset Machine curls and skill crushers 4x12

so you spend a whole day fucking around?

Pretty much yeah. It's that or a rest day. How is it any different/worse than people doing single body part workouts?

It gives me more gains, so I don't see it as wasted time.

done twice a week (PPLPPLX)
Push (Chest/Triceps/Shoulders):

Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
Overhead Press: 3x5
Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 3x10-12
Rope Pushdowns (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Overhead Dumbbell Extension or similar triceps exercise: 3x10-12
Shrugs(circuit machine or dumbbells): 3x10-12

Pull (Back/Biceps):
deadlift 1x3
kroc Rows: 3x10
Lat Pulldowns: 3x8-10
Seated Rows: 3x8-10
Face-pulls: 3x-10-12
Barbell Bicep Curls (Alternate between close and normal grip): 4x-10-12
Hammer Curls: 3x10-12

Legs (Quad/Ham/Calves):

Barbell Squats: 4x5-6
Leg Press: 3x8-10
Leg Extensions (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Hamstring Curls (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Calf Raises (circuit machine): 5x10-12

i do this routine its pretty decent, but im on roids so idk how bad the volume would be natty. i did it for a month and a half natty but i dont think thats enough time to be fatigued by a routine right?

If you give muscles proper rest days (should be 2-3) and eat a ton, the limit is much higher than people think after the first month or two

newbie skelly here, started SS today, should I switch to PPL after 3 months or wait longer?

Can someone R8 my push days? I'm trying to get big shoulders.

Push A:
Dumbbell OHP 4x6-10
Incline DB press 3x8-12
DB bench press 2x6-10
Lateral raises 3x10-15 SS Tricep pushdowns 2x10-15
Cable lateral raises 2x10-15 SS Overhead tri extends 2x10-15
Calves 4x10-16

Push B:
Barbell OHP 3x5
Dumbbell OHP 3x8-12
DB bench press 3x8-12
Chest flyes 3x10-15
Calves 4x8-12
Close-grip bench 3x8-12

I add bb ohp to my leg days

You could do Chest/tri, Bakc/bi, Shoulders and legs instead. You'd have to rest after shoulders and legs before you go start the 3day cycle again.

I gained the most with ppl and PP.

PP = pull and push( with legs too.)

In 3 months I gained about 4 kg. But then came summer so I just repeated same workout for maintenance.

I hit front and side delts with chest (bench, incline bench) and rear with pull (flies and rows)

But that could work if you took extra rest days or had shoulders that recover very quickly. Mine, like most, are injury prone if worked too often

Depends on your goal. 5 day bro split would be good once you hit 1/2/3/4

Do you have something for rear delts on pull days?

>lifting 6 days a week

get a job/life you bums

Lol I thought that it would take a lot of time but once I got the routine of going to the gym right after work it's been pretty decent. 45-1:15h workouts a day is not too bad, deadlift days are the longest though