Why do people think SS is a meme?

Why do people think SS is a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf
startingstrength.com/article/the_novice_effect
youtube.com/watch?v=6HV-wvNa2GM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

3 decades of muscle mags by body builders talking about their 1 muscle 2 hour routine while taking roids on the side

>aesthetics

but it does req accessories curls/chins

thicc

because no aesthetic accessories

but SS isn't an aesthetic program

so expecting a non aesthetic program to have aesthetic accessories is retarded

aka Veeky Forums

hope this helped

Because nobody likes to believe that anything other than what they do/did is possibly effective.

The whole fitness and health industry is based on this bullshit.

>THIS IS THE BEST, YOUR ROUTINE/DIET IS SHIT
>NO THIS IS BETTER BECAUSE A FAT TEXAN SAID SO
>NO THIS IS BETTER BECAUSE MENS HEALTH SAID SO.
etc.

Specific routine is not really important, as long as you have the real important things covered.
These things being consistency, diet, and commitment to make progress.

A man putting 100% effort in the gym into a crazy looking 6 day BB split found in a magazine will get better results than someone who puts 50% effort in the gym into a perfectly programmed, periodized, autismal routine.

Because you will find in general people are retarded

Zack.jpeg

because it doesn't fucking matter what routine you do, as long as you have the core fundamentals down, progressive overload, eating, sleeping.

to answer your question, mainly because the program doesn't have accessory lifts, and people think you won't build muscle if you don't do accessories which is false, the only people who complain about making no gains are the ones who are on and off the program for like, 3 weeks, then complain about how they're making no gains.

you just have to be consistent and the gains will follow through, even if your nutrition and sleep isn't OPTIMAL, you will still make gains on SS or SL as a novice, consistency.

Because they're weak willed fatasses or lazy skellingtons who do SS for 3 months, get mad that their biceps don't look huge like they thought they would, then bitch about it on Veeky Forums while doing a bro curlsplit

Because if you do it longer than 3 months you'll look like a pair

Who is this fluid druid?

"no"

because people expect hypertrophy gainz from a strength program

SS 4 months, no calf accessories.
19 inches

>the poster child for SS + GOMAD
>literally ate at a 1k calorie surplus

I mean if you want to get as strong as you can as fast as you can, then sure, do what he did. Otherwise, no, if you read SS, and actually do what Ripp recommends you will not look like a pear.

Thoughts on this?

Not horrible, but still sub par.

Just do SS.

bad

because people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to fitness and expect immediate results without putting in effort. They think SS should give them an aesthetic body and then don't actually do SS fully, usually doing it on a cut, and then get mad at the program when they were the reason it didn't work.

>Otherwise, no, if you read SS, and actually do what Ripp recommends you will not look like a pear.
but that's exactly what zach did, under the supervision of rippletits. Starting strength is a strength program, it's not concerned with what you'll look like.

that being said, zach doesn't look bad, he's got a solid foundation and would look rather decent after a cut.

it's literally starting strength.

Because it will make you look like a t-rex.
SS isn't for aesthetics, but for building strength. Most people starting out in the gym want to look good and are not really interested in strength.

I started SS today, but I can't do chin ups. What can I do with a barbell or dumbbells?

put them down and try to do chinups. Do negatives, use an assisted chinup machine or bands.

barbell rows

This As a recovering fatty I also had problems doing chin ups and dips since I was literally too fucking heavy to lift my own weight. I started doing negatives and cutting and now I can do them properly. Doing my first legit rep was the best feeling desu senpai

Scooby actually has the perfect video for this. youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

Chin ups are not pull ups, faggot

the concept to improve on either is pretty much the same. Getting better at one helps the other.

He looks the way he did because he ate at a ridiculous surplus, not because he did the program.

Truth. If he cut to 10% bf he would be pretty aesthetic.

>He looks the way he did because he ate at a ridiculous surplus, not because he did the program.
>the program is lifting heavy and eating at a high surplus
he looks the way he did because he did SS right.

GSLP is a much better program with a more appropriate amount of volume.

It also deals with failure better by allowing you to set a volume PR even if you've deloaded

is that the AMRAP everyday program?

it's shit.

I did SS into TM and I hit 1/2/3/4 inside of 9 months on a lean bulk. People who say its a meme are people you dont lift

Yes but @ /k/ or /pol/

It only recommends eating at a high surplus for underweight teenage-25 year old men.

It does that because getting a skinny kid to eat enough to gain strength and size is fucking hard as they're usually convinced that being skinny is the same thing as being healthy.

SS advises people at a normal weight to maintain their present diet, and fatasses to lift on a cut. The idea is that if all three do the program correctly, they'll arrive at around the same place.

What is SS?

Mainly because they don't understand what the word "meme" means. Only on Veeky Forums do I see it so consistently misused.

schutzstaffel

SS worked for me. I started lifting about two years ago, and went for low weight routines with lots of endurance. Basically, bodyweight +++. It didn't do anything to make me stronger. So I got bored of being weak, and started doing SS; high-weigh, low reps on squats, deadlifts, and benchpress. Suddenly, I could actually lift, and my endurance went through the roof. Even better, I started to put on show muscle, and not look like a skinny twink.

SS worked for me, but it might not work for everyone. If you've tried it in the past and it hasn't worked, God bless, but there's no reason not to throw a few months effort at something that might really work for you.

T-Rex mode

>SS advises people at a normal weight to maintain their present diet, and fatasses to lift on a cut.
>being this wrong
I don't have the book with me so I can't quote it, but you literally cannot maintain linear progression on a maintenance or deficit diet. SS is the routine plus a surplus diet combined, not just the routine.

What does it say about skellies?

RAW UNFILTERED AUTISM

>f you’re a fat guy that has decided to go on the Atkins diet at the same time you started the novice progression, are continually sore, and are stuck at 30 pounds of squat increase, YNDTP. (you're not doing the program)

>What does it say about skellies?
in terms of what?

forgot link

Because you're on a Welsh sheep-fucking enthusiast image board, and the average opinion of the people here is about as useful as a bag of limp dicks.

Most starting routines are good for beginners, but they're templates. If you follow something like SL 5x5 to the letter, youre only doing 3 lifts per workout, which is retarded. It is expected that you become not retarded at some point and add appropriate accessory lifts like pullups, dips, curls, etc.

What this guy said

Bc Rippetoe tells you to consume 2000 excess calories daily and not to add exercises beyond his 5 or else YNDTP, and if you cant bench press 300lbs after 3 months of SS then it's because YNDTP

Wow, thats pretty much my SL 5x5 routine except I do more and I squat both days.

Are there any assistance exercises offered in the stronglifts app that Veeky Forums recommends?

It will turn you into a sissy cumslut who gets manhandled and fucked by the Chad brosplitters

Rest of the listed assistance exercises

I do Pullups and DB Curls on day B, Tricep Dips and Calf Raises on Day A.

Definitely do curls and chins/pullups
Definitely add leg raises
Definitely do a second type of row
Probably add some sort of tricep and leg accessories
Add more deadlift volume once you can pull 275ish

Does anyone knows the begginer routines of the old sticky?
I liked that one

>tfw Trappy will not come back

>and would look rather decent after a cut.

If you had read SS you would know it includes liting at a deficit. But you didn't, so your opinion goes straight into the trash.

Are you saying that my squat sucks because half the time I skip them and do deadlifts instead?
I don't believe it :(

>SS is the routine plus a surplus diet combined, not just the routine.

3rd ed. talks specifically about what you should do if you're a skelly or a fatass. You didn't read SS. Get the fuck out.

quote it

I had it on my browser favorites but my pc broke and this new sticky is gay as fuck

>zach literally did what mark told him to do under his supervision
>my opinion is invalid because I think he'll look decent after a cut
wew, Veeky Forums just keeps getting more retards

Right after it explains what protons are, GOMAD and fat composition:

>A novice in this demographic who is eating and resting correctly andwho is otherwise healthy will be able to do this. Eating correctly may mean 6000 calories/day, including a gallon of whole milk, or it may mean 3500 calories/day on a Paleo-type, lower-carb, no-dairy diet, depending on your initial body composition. If this or its equivalent training result did not happen, you're not doing the program.
>depending on your initial body composition

This is my last post in here. Enjoy your shit thread. Do yourself a favor and read the fucking book.

so he didn't say anything about eating at a deficit. I would stop replying if I were you too.

>On the other hand, if you’re a little fluffy around the belly, you have obviously already created the conditions necessary for growth. You’ll start out stronger than the skinny guy, and strength gains have the potential to come easier for you if you eat correctly because your body hasn’t got the problems with growing that skinny guys do. You still eat a lot, but you don’t drink the milk and you cut your carb intake if you don’t see bodyfat levels drop during these first couple of weeks.
>YOU STILL EAT A LOT
>not YOU EAT AT A DEFICIT

> you literally cannot maintain linear progression on a maintenance or deficit diet
Spotted the idiot, SS is a beginner programme - beginners can recomp or cut like it's nothing. Human bodies are not as retarded at dealing with deficits as you seem to think. otherwise we'd all be extinct millennia ago.

I lost 15kg of fat in my first 6 months of SS+chins and raised my bench from 45kg to 90kg.

>Spotted the idiot
the irony in this post.

The clarification is about the 2nd ed. :^)

Going to go lift now. Read the fucking book, seriously. There's a whole chapter dedicated to Nutrition and Bodyweight.

>The clarification is about the 2nd ed. :^)
which made it into the 3rd...which I just read and says the same shit. You still haven't mentioned where he says to eat at maintenance or a deficit. 3500 calories is the lowest he states and I find that hard to believe is any beginner's deficit or maintenance.

OK then, I guess I'll try dips and pull ups in addition to the skull crushers and curls I'm doing already. I'm pretty overweight, though, and uncertain about my ability to do pull ups. Is there a decent replacement if I can't do even a maximally assisted pull up?

For Chins/pull start from the top, with a chair or something and let yourself down slowly. Once you can do 10 of these in a row you can probably eek out a chinup/pullup. For dips do the same but you dont need a chair.

>No you!
Great counter-argument there brah.

let me tell you why you're the idiot with that response then. I got into this thread with this , pretty much boils down to zach did the program as mark intended it, lifting at a surplus, and he did it with mark watching over him. So despite what this guy says, he literally did the program as intended.
startingstrength.com/article/the_novice_effect

as to what you quoted me, I'm talking about maintaining linear progression, you're talking about what you did in 6 months. What have you done after those 6 months? As a beginner you can make gains at a deficit, but you can't maintain the progress of those gains. So, how exactly am I the idiot?

>no arms day
>not much chest work
>le nobody looks at legs meme
>muh sets of 8-12
>muh pump
>muh DOMS = good workout

Why do people care about the above? No idea.

Do as many chinups/pullups as you can and finish the rest with negatives. If you can't do any full ones, just do negatives until you can.

As far as what to add to your current routine, depends on your goals. Do you just wanna be strong, do you wanna be big? what do you want out of your physique? Don't just take whatever people tell you without them knowing what you actually want. Gotta do some thinking of your own

How do I get my wife to look like this?

It's mostly strict diet, cardio and leg training

R-r-right?

mostly liposuction. Despite looking good, she's out of shape.

My first aspiration is just to keep off fat by building muscle in its place. If I could look nicer at the same time, that'd be cool.

>what are accessory lifts

If you actually read the book, it details what other lifts you should be doing.

Is this good for begginers?
What can i add in the B one?

> So, how exactly am I the idiot?
By saying that it's impossible to maintain linear progression on a deficit without qualifying that broad statement. It's impossible to maintain linear progression anyways and a 500kcal deficit on 12%BF kid is a very different animal from even 1000kcal on a blob. But okay, you were probably saying that deficits cut the noob gains phase short: I managed two months of linearity on average on my deficit (before going for rep progression since I had no microplates) - my friends that started training with me and immediately started bulking managed two sessions more. From a health and aesthetics perspective it's well worth taking that minor hit.

My main issue is that by making such a broad statement some beginner who is chunky as fuck anyways will get the idea that he needs to get on GOMAD or someshit which is precisely what you claim is wrong with SS (and I agree.) SS might not be ideal (I'd recommend Greyskull LP for beginners, looking back) - but it's a very solid base to build on.

>What have you done after those 6 months?
Recomped on modified Texas.

>By saying that it's impossible to maintain linear progression on a deficit without qualifying that broad statement.
I don't need to qualify it, it's a fact, not a broad statement.

>My main issue is that by making such a broad statement some beginner who is chunky as fuck anyways will get the idea that he needs to get on GOMAD or someshit
so I'm an idiot because you have an issue with that? I'm not saying what a fatty or a skelly should do, I'm pointing out what SS is and what it tells you to do. Nowhere in starting strength does it say that if you're fat you should do the program at a deficit (still waiting on that guy to quote it).

Let's get this straight, starting strength is a strength program. It's not a recomp program, it's not an aesthetics program, it's not a double your BP in 6 months program. If you had done SS as it is laid out in the book, you would have doubled your bench press in half that time. Would you have lost those 15kg? probably not, but that's not what SS is about. So again, how am I the idiot here?

Gee I don't know

l000000000000000000000000l

THICC
S
U
C
C

you shouldn't be doing overhead press and bench press in the same day because the latter always ends up weaker than the former since they use similar muscle groups.
You need to alternate those lifts between different workouts

This is how i looked after 8ish months of SS. It's great for putting on strength and size fast. Could do a 160kg squat after it, although i did do 3x5 on the DLs. I ate a lot, but it was clean bulk all the way.
Did pullups, lateral raises, farmer walks and a random tricep exercise.'
I can't recommend SS enough if you're a skelly (would recommend it for all but i don't know anything about it.)

>I don't need to qualify it, it's a fact, not a broad statement.
You can't maintain linear progression no matter what you do - that's also a fact. Both are statements of no practical use. "A moderate deficit will shorten or flatten out your linear progression a bit," is closer to the truth.

>So I'm an idiot because you have an issue with that?
Are you seriously that offended? The statement you made was omitting important facts in favor of an extreme statement.

>If you had done SS as it is laid out in the book, you would have doubled your bench press in half that time.
I seriously doubt that. Also, I had no interest in "following the code like it's written down" or anything like that. I'm merely citing my example as a counter to your initial statement which implied I should have maintained my lifts or done an intermediate programme from the outset - those are the only options that "deficits kill linearity from the outset" leaves.

>Are you seriously that offended?
you're the one that called me an idiot for stating facts in a way you didn't like. I didn't omit any facts, I addressed what was being discussed which is starting strength the program.

>You can't maintain linear progression no matter what you do - that's also a fact.
yeah, I never said otherwise. It was very intentional that I mentioned a deficit.

>I seriously doubt that.
SS is a pretty basic, tried and true method of achieving strength. I don't like using anecdotal like you do, but my BP went from 115lbs to 185lbs in a month.

>Also, I had no interest in "following the code like it's written down" or anything like that.
so why are you even responding, much less calling me an idiot?

> I'm merely citing my example as a counter to your initial statement which implied I should have maintained my lifts or done an intermediate programme from the outset
you have a huge reading comprehension and jumping to conclusions problem. I never implied any of that, you read something that wasn't there. Again, SS is the routine plus the diet, not just the routine, which is what zach did. The linear progression that SS promises cannot be achieved with a maintenance or deficit diet. I won't repeat myself further and start arguing strawman tangents.

Got before pics?

Also have the hoes been mirin more?

Besides that is everything ok?
Thanks user

top after 5 months of SS
bottom before
thanks rip

>8 months SS
>did lateral raises, farmer walks and triceps
>~12 bf%
you didnt do SS. you did something pretty close to that but not nearly by the book

Started at like 62kg in those pictures i was like 78kg-ish. Im at a 90kg morningweight now.

Yeah defiantly, but i've been in a relationship for more than 3 years with the girl of my dreams. She stayed with me when i was a depressed anxiety-riddled skelly so she's staying with me now when im one of the more popular guys. She's my motivation and my only gym-buddy.

Not the same guy you're replying to, but you didn't put on all that mass in 8 months, did you? Or did you mean that you had been lifting for a while and then only on SS for 8 months?

> you literally cannot maintain linear progression on a maintenance or deficit diet
> I didn't omit any facts
For the third time, this is a blatantly incomplete statement and reeks of "the human body is retarded as fuck and hates you" broscience - that's why I called you an idiot. I'm wasn't even arguing about that "what compromises SS" thing - although...
youtube.com/watch?v=6HV-wvNa2GM

Glad you're in such a good relationship, user.

How long did it take you to go from skelly to ripped, and how quickly did people start treating you differently?

Solid, thick, joocy

had a long post replying to you but clearly you're not getting it. I'll resort to my first response, there's a beautiful irony in you calling me an idiot.

and congrats, you found a video of rippletits talking about gomad. I don't see how that's relevant since i never said you had to do it. Please work on your reading comprehension.

Nice manlet shoes