Any Pro or Amateur Boxers here?

I have a couple of years of muay thai and other martial arts and finally started boxing five months ago.

Any of you guys have any tips regarding exercises and physical preparation? I lift three times a week (Stronglifts) and do two boxing training sessions on my lifting rest days (2 hours).

Anything I should focus on? Any tips? Wanna talk boxing?

Also I plan on having my first amateur fight soon.

ayyy, are you me? we have the same week setup

am a scrub though. Just started kickboxing a couple of months ago.

Nice, kickboxing is pretty cool. I was doing muay thai 2-3 times a week also, but it got a little expensive, so I chose to just lift and box

was it like a strictly muay thai gym or something?

at my place you sign up for 45£ a month and you can join any session you want to so that's dope.
Was originally thinking of doing both kickboxing and BJJ, but there's no way in hell I'd be able to keep that up + lifting + eventual work after summer

and for your original question, I suppose you know more than me. Cardio is what I would focus on. Endurance and shit.

It's not a strictly muay thai gym, but I have to pay extra if I want to train muay thai.

Yeah, I'm trying to get in as much cardio as I can. I think I'll start doing a little road work on my rest days.

Nothing very important, just make sure you do a fuck ton of cardio, jump roping, shadow boxing, practice keeping a straight wrist so you don't fuck up your wrist like I did, make sure you turn with your punches.

I don't know a lot about the other martial arts so I don't know if you already do this stuff, but most important of all DO. YOUR. CARDIO.

Thanks mate. My stamina still needs a lot of work.

Were you fit when you started? I'm going to take up boxing this month. Got a gym membership for my birthday. Just wondering how long it takes to get to the point where you can sparr. I'm looking forward to starting.

I was in decent shape for a regular dude but nowhere near fighting shape. I don't know if you have previous experience in some other martial arts, but I guess you do some light sparring after a few months of the basics

Do you have boxing matches at the end of the week?

Not always, but I spar with my trainer on ocasion. He's a decent boxer who just turned pro.

I'm a bit overweight. I'm 95kg and for my height / frame I think I would be good at around 85kg. So I've got fat to lose. I'm doing SS at the moment so I'll keep that up.

I don't have any experience in fighting besides getting beat up a lot as a kid / young adult. Perhaps I'm just trying to compensate for being a NEET autist.

I'm cutting weight so I can fight, my best advice is to make a decent meal plan and stick with it. Here's mine for 1500 kcal/day:

Also, keep doing SS and start jumping rope. It's great cardio and helps improve your balance and footwork.

If you are planning on fighting, you should drop the lifting for a little bit and try to have atleast 5 boxing sessions a week. I hope you have a good coach who will take care of you, and teach you proper basics, footwork and defense. Good luck.

Hi guys I want to get into boxing anyone know where to start? I did judo and had a blast with it but my uni doesn't have a boxing club. Any recommendations around the bay area?

Boxing is about stamina, if you run out you lose every single amatur match comes down to this. Person that runs outta steam first loses.

ask a friend to punch you in the face with boxing gloves, if you still want to do boxing after that then go find a boxing gym. You need to be able to take a hit if you want to learn boxing theres no being a pussy.

I used to box, but my nose is pretty big so it got broken twice (the last time was playing bball while it was still healing from the first break) so I stopped. Our club did a ridiculous amount of cardio. We would start with half an hour of calisthetics (skipping rope, star jumps, push ups, sit ups, squat jumps) followed by another 30 min of running outside. Then after that we did half an hour of bag work and half an hour of sparring. Overall it was tough, but I've never been in better shape than during that time

>DO. YOUR. CARDIO.

BTDT boxing is 10% heart, 10% technique and 80% stamina.

run your fucking legs off

Man, that's great training. Unfortunately my gym is pretty shit when it comes to boxing. It's not a boxing gym, it's just a gym that has boxing classes. At least the teacher is pretty good.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.l'll add a 5k run every other day, with varied intensity to work on my stamina and muscle resistance.

Should i buy i a punch dude bob or a heavy bag to have in my room?

heavybag and speedbag

no but i once saw a guy use some dark arts and body slam someone to death

Do lots of road work
I.e. running as fast as you can for as long as you can. Rinse and repeat.

You'll feel great once your done with basics and can start implementing your own style. Keep at it, the personal growth will help you flourish.

If you want a speed bag, try for a legit, braced to a wall type. The kind that comes connected to bag stands are unsecured.

I started boxing a couple weeks ago. Shits fun, but I fell for the cardio kills gains meme during my first 2 years of lifting so my endurance is absolute shit. Thing is my main goal is still to gain muscle so I don't wanna do a ridiculous amount of distance running.