Is meditating a meme?

Is meditating a meme?
What is a good beginners meditation routie?

I wouldn't say it's a meme, I've been doing it for quite a while now and feel the results, albeit subtle. Try for just 5 minutes the first day, then add a minute every day/every other day. ez

What exactly are the results?

Sit with your eyes closed in a quiet spot (or as quiet as you're able to find).

Don't get pulled in by crazy new agers

???

Profit

Meditation is great, just don't overthink it and do it every day. it's much better to meditate every day of the week for 10 mins than 1 big 70 min session. You also don't need to buy anything

Increased mindfulness and better handling over your emotions, particularly when you get super stressed or upset

Pretty much this. Mindfulness in Plain English is good. Though I didn't stick with it, so how good could it be, eh.

Not a meme and you'll notice it's benefits immediately.

Routine:
Meditate before you start the day. Either sitting or lying down, close your eyes and only focus on your breath going in and out. Do this for 10 minutes. Do not set an alarm/timer because you will subconsciously be waiting for the alarm to go off which will distract you. Do this again for 10 minutes before you go to bed.

I see your perspective on alarms and I was concerned about this too. I've come to accept that distraction though as any other distraction (e.g. an itch, mind wandering) and something to overcome while meditating. Whenever I start thinking about when the timer will be done, I recognize that I'm feeling restless and impatient. I just sit with it though and eventually I begin focusing on my breath again. In other words, I like challenges/distractions while meditating, it's something to try and overcome. It tests my willpower I think, like is my mind going to beat me and make me cave into the distraction or am I going to come out on top and refocus back onto my breath?

Been meditating for a year. After doing a bunch of ayahuasca cermonies and smoking DMT. Can not tell you how much all three have improved my life. From mental and emotional well being to motivation in everyday life to general positivity. I was a mess before all of that. Now, I'm in the best shape of my life (lost 30lbs. Lifting like a beast) and have never been happier.

If you're really interested in meditation check out the book "The Mind Illuminated" and "Mindfulness in plain English".

*Books

> thinking deeply and soundly is a new experience we need to learn about and schedule to do
Are you fucking serious fit?

I can't speak on long-term results since I've only been meditation for ~2 months now (consistently for the most part but miss some days) but one of the immediate benefits I can speak on from experience is being present. That's what meditation helps you do, to be more focused on the present. It helps with my anxiety which is to be focusing on the past or future. After a session of meditating, I find that I'm not thinking about the past or the future, even if I tried to, my attention would shift back to the present.

That's a good point that it's just another distraction. But when I'd set an alarm the "so when's this alarm going off/how long has it been" thought would be way too distracting for me personally. And I find I'm less disrupted overall when there's no alarm.

And like you said, which I forgot to mention, when you start to get distracted by a thought, realize it, accept that you are being distracted, and bring your mind back to your breath.

Why not meditate while pumping weights? Why do you need to stop doing stuff to do it?

Can confirm. I meditate before sleeping daily and I don't think about sex during the day so my dreams are basically sexless. According to taoist teachings I have reached an advanced level as almost all practitioners lose their seed through nocturnal emissions in the first 100 days. The funny thing about all this is that the teachings say you that you will become highly attractive to women while retaining which I am definitely experiencing, I am getting eye fucked 24/7 and women are making moves on me constantly. The irony of it all.

But meditation isn't thinking. It's the nonassociation of thought.

fuck he looks so alpha

>his anxiety comes from focusing on the past or the future

>his anxiety isn't inherently attached to the present

get a load of this normie

You can meditate while doing other things. Meditation isn't necessarily sitting in a dark room for an hour. Sometimes it's pumping weights in silence, focusing on breath, each movement, and simply being in the present moment, with an unclouded head.

>tfw you have near spiritual experiences when lifting

top kek

are you doing no fap?

>it's a "user does nofap and thinks his mother wants to fuck him" episode

How do I get lower-eyelid gains?

You don't need that horse Shit to be at a peaceful state of mind, it's not like content is reached the same way for any 2 men. You need to know yourself before you know any true feelings and sitting in a quiet room with a blank mind isn't helping you figure it out.

What? Idk what you're trying to say

t. 22 year old who had babbys first epiphany

>sitting in a quiet room with ah blank mind isn't helping you figure it out.

Disagree. The body benefits from movement, the mind benefits from stillness.

this

i read a book on self healing and meditation. aparently meditation activates peptid-hormones, those regulate your hormones iirc. its been a long time since i did it, focus on your breath for while can do some funky shit in your mind. fucking awesome. i wish i never stopped doing it. did some zen mediation too in a zen house for a while. funky

>thinking deeply

user I think you should really learn what mindful meditation is before knocking it

lower
How do you come to this conclusion?

He's poking fun at you because his anxiety is with the present.
Unfortunately for me mine, while tied to present/future at times, hardly stems from thought.
I could be thinking about anything and it creeps up on me.

>Be Australian
>Have basically bush backyard
>Two weeks ago, decided to walk until there was 0 unnatural light and sit down
>Just chilled on a rock for a while.
>Highly rated the experience, want to do it again
>It's rained every single day since

I have tinnitus, can I ever reach inner peace???

I recommend reading pic related

About the guy who currently holds like 8 world records for sitting/swimming/running through ice and shit BAREFOOT AND WITHOUT A SHIRT

He can also hold his breath for like 5 mins or some shit. Goes into his meditation and breathing techniques. Fucking dank

I have bad tinnitus and I've meditated before.
It doesn't necessarily go away but it becomes less distracting and more one with every other sound, like the sound of you breathing, your heart, anything really.
It might help to have a low fan or something nearby though.

i agree with this... when i was much younger i'd run for approx 17km and whilst doing it would eventually reach the same state as what one would if they were to do static meditation.

However, I found that when I meditated immediately prior to QQ bedtime I'd have uninterrupted sleep for that evening. For me that's an accomplishment.

And now for some swears; fuck shit hell damn ass

Thank you for listening.

Don't worry, he doesn't either

>letting rain stop you

It's anecdotal, but I feel like there is some substance to it. The only time I ever meditate is when I have the hiccups. If I clear my mind and focus on my breathing, take conscious control of your diaphragm, I can stop after 1-2 hiccups.

He runs a website where he goes in depth about his techniques. not sure what it's called but look up wim hof the iceman. It's 200 dollars or something but it does look like something to check out.

>ctrl + f
>headspace
>0 results

Headspace is a guided meditation app. I'd try it out, OP. It's easy and a good start to meditating. It schedules a progression out for you too.

Reading this post, I'm really still not sure about what meditation really is. What am I exactly supposed to do? Say, I sit down on the floor, close my eyes and do what exactly? Think about the day? I really don't know.

This

Just relax, breath in deep and think. Or don't think.
Then stretch your hammies and lower back.

*this thread

For beginners, your aim is to relax.
Make it a habit to associate generation for a calmer mind state.

If you want to progress from the relaxation and gain insight, look into samatha-vipassana meditation.

Mental health is not a meme.

>beginners mediation routine
Rosary x f