/run/ - Running General

Old thread has reached bump limit.

Previous thread: FAQ Pastebin: pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

Welcome to /run/. Ask questions and discuss running, training, injuries, gear, and whatever else.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j6wjqDj7rrY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Would anyone else much rather have a qt3.14 runner girlfriend over a lifting girlfriend partner?

I feel like most hot girls at the gym draw motivation from getting checked out by a bunch of dudes, the community aspect, making friends. I've yet to see one good looking girl dress modest at the gym.

But a runner girl? The only reason you become a daily runner is because you enjoy it.

>implying girls don't run to look good.
Men train to better themselves. Girls train to draw attention from others.

Are you a runner?

Having a runner gf might be fun but I'd never want to go running with said gf.

If that were true we'd all be running rather than lifting, or even better we'd be doing a very balanced combination of the two.

I wouldn't say I enjoy running, but I do enjoy the way I feel afterwards?

Also gotta maintain otter mode

You might call running an "otterbody experience"

as a ronery runner, I'd take anything tbqh fäm

actually, one of the reasons why I run instead of lift is because I don't have to face other people on forest roads.
and why I don't start lifting to improve my "looks" is because I was born too fugly, so no amount of muscle mass is going to make me attractive. so I just keep running year after year.

and I heard gyms are full of mirrors; I can't stand my own face - I avoid mirrors as much as possible.

Gonna try the couch to 5k program again starting Monday. I've tried it once before but I didn't warm up properly and injured meself.

You should run in a place with more runners though. Runners are the qtst creatures on earth.

Make sure you're not going too hard during the running portions. No shame in being slow until you get the hang of it.

Will do, thanks for the advice.

What do y'all wear when you go running? I wear next to nothing so I feel like I don't have a good idea of what running clothes are out there.

For me it's:
Split shorts
Headband
GPS watch
No-show socks
Shoes

>You might call running an "otterbody experience"

How to get a 6min mile/~9min 1.5 mile?

Currently at 8min mile/13min 1.5 mile.

I felt like I twisted my knee back in April walking up a Dune. For the week that followed it hurt to walk on but after that it was fine - but every time i go to run since then i get a gradual build up of pain in my knee, depending on distance/how fast i run, and then quite often the next day i'll be limping due to the pain in my knee especially coming down stairs. Anything i can do to make it better?

The book "Daniels' Running Formula" is literally all you need.

Ice your knee after you run, and do so multiple times a day if possible. Try a heat pad and a knee brace as well.

i have the stamina of a land whale how do i start running without inducing cardiac arrest?

eh, city centre has traffic lights and asphalt paved roads, meanwhile in suburban areas there are gravel roads, forest roads, no lights and very few other runners.

true, female runners are hot. problem is, I am not

i had the same when i started off hard after longer break

had to stop running for good 3 months.
just yesterday i begun again and its all smiles.

Just let it recover lad. Hop on bicycle perhaps its less stress for joints and shit

How much i should aim for with my cardio running daily ? 30-40 minutes ? im doing dem 5k's. Not really interested in actual performance, just running as fast as i feel like it.

>when you run and this song pops up in your player

youtube.com/watch?v=j6wjqDj7rrY

couch to 5k

i started with it
my buddy whcih had even worse physics started with it

we both succeeded doing the 5k's

You might if you were a complete cunt.

uhhh, there are girls running around my neighborhood in sports bras and tight pants all the time. i'm sure they're aware of all the heads that they are turning.

Move to a city with a canal or a river. Lots of qt runners, lots of places to run without lights. Good life.

> men train to better themselves
you're so deluded.

Maybe they just feel more comfortable that way. As previous user said, girls that want attention go to the gym. Girls (or anyone) running are focused on their shit

>tfw gonna run a marathon again in april 2017
>finished one in december 2012 in lmao5hours, aprox 20 kg lighter and used to run daily
> became skinnyfat/builtfat
strugle wit 10 miles now

I'm not sure how I feel.

>tfw you trip over when running and rip the knee on your favourite bottoms

At least no one was around to see me. It actually felt kind of good to fall over, I haven't done that in years.

I enjoy the "getting lost" feeling. I think this only applies once you actually get half decent at running distance. And I think it's one reason why so many people give up on running and call it boring.

I can run for about a solid hour (at an 8 minute mile pace) before my mind starts telling me it's getting difficult and I need to quit. But everything leading up to that is a peaceful introverted feeling of daydreaming, thinking about relationships, planning my week out, etc. And when I "wake up" it's already been a couple miles, and then I get lost all over again until my run is close to getting over.

But people that don't enjoy running, push themselves on every single run, to the point of exhaustion. I think this is because they are so bad at running, even a light 20 minute jog is still pushing their max.

People need to learn to relax and enjoy, instead of giving 100% on every damn run. And before you know it, you'll be running half marathons in that relaxed mode.

ARE YOU ME

no seriously, "getting lost" feeling follows me too often outside of running.
another problem is when half marathons aren't enough, yet your legs (injuries) don't really allow pushing for much further. (realizing own physical limits before taking too much damage)

>8k run
>33C sunny (35C with humidity)
>decide to go for tempo

It was suffering all along. Never again.

What is an ok time for 600m HIIT?

I did 4 x 600m at 2:00 each today and I vomited at the 4th bit

I'm not a good runner

Will I fuck myself over if I start running, like a 30 minute jog every day, without paying ~$100 for running shoes from a specialty store?

How much does a high temperature/humidity affect your runs?

I'm a Florida fag and just got back from being gone for a while. Started running again this summer at around 5pm. It's brutal... especially anything over 5-6 miles.

no, if you do things correctly

get shoes that support your feet, either pronation support, supination or neutral
find some that somehow offer some help in the terrain you mostly use.

30 min jogs, if you do not try too hard terrain, should also cause little issues, even to untrained feet.

high humidity means that there are more water particles in the air, which means there is more stuff in the air that comes into contact with you.
take example of saunas, you have very low humidity in a dry closed room that gets heated up. yet people can enjoy +100 C saunas, because the humidity is so low. that is, there are so few water molecules that "bombard" your skin with heat. however, if the humidity were really high, that 100 C would be boiling water which would melt your skin.

high temperatures can be tolerable with low humidity. but as humidity rises, the amount of warmth that airs transfers to your body increases until you feel like you are being boiled.

>it's a car passes you by REEEAAAL slow next to you while you're running on the sidewalk

Half the time it's a old fucker driving slow to get a look at who this 6'7 freakshow is running on the sidewalk

Same bro

There's no better feeling than listening to some good music and going for a run as soon as night hits. There's rarely anybody out on the streets or sidewalks. People are usually in their home relaxing their evening away. And you get the whole city to yourself to go running around, and not a soul will bother you.

Then that's when I finally get back home, see my dog wagging his tail, and we both sit on the porch until I get done cooling down.

So comfy.

Am I bound to get an injury even if I run with good form, foam roll and stretch, strengthen muscles, eat a good diet and get enough calcium? Barring freak accidents, of course.

>tfw you're sprinting and overtake a car

good shoes as well

Are you fucking retarded? Women run because it feels good too. Women like to achieve physical feats too. Women aren't the magical money-driven aliens you delusional boys seem to think they are

>women
>doing anything hard

>started squatting
>knees now feel better
Woah.

I have shin splints on my left leg and my right leg hurts in random places when I run. It keeps me from improving but at the same time I can't quit with my training for reasons. Will I fug up something bad if I keep on going with analgesics n stuff? To stop my training is not an option.

>tfw you keep going faster than some old guy on roller-skates?
>tfw you keep passing cyclists in rising terrain

>tfw you're running up behind someone at night an they think you're about to attack them

i have a similar problem but heres the depressing advice that you dont want to hear. I'm due to start military training in like a month so for me quitting is also not an option.

the only remedy is rest, however you can use a few tricks to speed your recovery up. take 3 days off, rather than 2 weeks and in those three days ice your leg, massage the affected area to shift any nasty buildups of tension from working out, (carefully) stretch and walk about.

walking about is key to just keep the juices flowing, just get up and walk around the house every hour or so.

i also find my legs dont warm up for about a mile and a half anyway, after which the pain just stops.

finally, warm up properly after the three days. use fast feet on the spot to ready your legs for repeated impact; and shuttle, making sure to turn on each leg evenly to warm up your ankles.

hope that helps, im no expert but i can say ive had enough experience to recommend this

>tfw you are running shirtless through the woods during night and grinning at bypassers from the sheer joy of running

I used to have really bad shin splints and I got rid of them by having my feet off the bed and raising my ankles up and down over and over again. You will get a crazy pump. It strengthens the muscles. Do that several times a day.

How long have you been running before you got splints?

Thanks user but that's what i'm already doing basically. I'll just have to bear with the fucking pain like a man.

Thx i'll try.

About a month or so.

just dont run through the pain, if it gets really bad it WILL get worse- stop and accept that you have to take time off

bending at the knees or the ankles

In that case, I apologise for your limp dick desu famalam
Thanks for the (You)

+1111
this&that

I always end up ignoring good advice, and usually fuck my shit up because I refuse to take enough recovery time. so instead of 5 day break, I might suffer 5 week damage.
if your leg feels even slightly bad, don't test it. do squats or something, go swim, but don't run on a damaged leg.

Would squatting not be a bad idea in that case¿

Also, what is your opinion on kneepads for recovery?

eh depends, IMO squats don't tire my legs too badly, compared to the damage I do with long distance running. no impact stress, so they are to me like minor side exercises.

of course, one should avoid any area that feels damaged, but if possible, still try to do something to warm up other areas when possible.
say, your legs hurt on impact; swimming doesn't cause such impact so it can be used to train legs without damaging them.

I have never used kneepads, so far never hurt my knees. obviously they serve some purpose, and if your doctor recommends them, why not.
however if you end up needing kneepads for some reason, I'd suggest you take a break from exercising and let your knees heal properly so you don't have to use kneepads at all.

How do I do pose running? Do I focus more on lifting my knees up while running instead of focusing on pushing down to move forward?

It just doesn't seem like a sustainable form

>be fatso
>Too embarrassed to gym or run at day
>Running around my park at 4 AM
>Accidentally body a old Chinese woman
>Kept running and felt her head squish
>Chinese woman dead in newspapers
>It ain't me start playing

Can someone judge my running program

I'm trying to improve my 1.5 mile time

I'm thinking

2 days a week I run 5 miles

1 day a week I do 6 x 400m runs at a 1:30 pace

Will that work?

>felt her head squish

How good at running can I get in 2 months

Not. Lots of people run into their 80s and 90s.

You don't have to sit around and do nothing if you have impact related injuries. If you cross train, you can still improve while not aggravating your injury.
Bike, elliptical, swimming, arc trainer, whatever. Running isnt the only thing that makes you a better runner.

Fall forward and catch yourself with your feet. It's a pretty natural motion and once you get it down, you can feel the efficiency. Way easier than focusing on ywhat your legs are doing.

There's about 3 dozen visualizations that have helped me that I cycle through in head while running sometimes.

You fat fuck. You're guilty of a hit and run and you didn't even need a car.

+10 for splitting g up days between endurance and speed/strength workouts.
-5 for lack of variety in only having 2 workouts.

Fot 1.5 miles, I'd Change that second long run to something else. Maybe a 2 or 3 mile tempo run or fartleks or bang out all your injury prevention and strength exercises. Some track work. Up2u

>try running for the first time in forever
>both feet look like pic related afterwards
>couldnt walk properly for the next 2 days'

what the fuck man i thought running was going to be fun

You did something wrong.

Wrong shoes, cotton socks, something. That's not how it's supposed to go.

felt like there was hot grainy sand under my feet once i passed the 5km mark desu

Sorry for my ignorance, but should I run with a blister? I have an image of a foot with a circle indicating where the blister is. Thanks a lot!

Depends. Do you want a bigger blister?

Compeed. Moleskin. Fix your shit.

Started running a few days back, now I've got some pain in my arch, any stretches to help?

If it's just tight, put a tennis ball under your foot and roll it. If there's any tearing, this will just beat up the injury worse.

Make sure you're not running too much, build up slow. You gotta heal more than you hurt yourself and your body will adapt over time.

Put a bandaid over it while you run.

Okay, thanks for the advice!

Thank you for your advice!

Thank you /run/! I used to be a fat fuck of 205 pounds who could barely run a mile without catching my breath. I was on a permabulk and my cardio gains were almost non existent. It got so bad that I couldn't even run half a mile without retching. After two months of hard work and cardio, I can now run 5k no problem! I was on a cut, so I was doing IF and getting my macros in with greek yogurt. After everyday I lifted, I swam 700 yards. On rest days I did calisthenics in the morning and ran in the afternoon. Now I cut my weight to a healthy 184 pounds and I'm so fucking proud of myself. I just got back from running 5k and on the last lap I even added some sprints. I couldn't have done it without you guys. Lifting is good for aesthetics but cardio is good for your health and mind. Keep on running Veeky Forums!

Thank you for your help

Whenever I run on the treadmill after like 10 minutes, I get a pain in my left leg
The place where it hurts is colored blue. If I try to run through the pain it ends up with me limping home. Any idea what the hell is wrong with my body?

It happened to me when I just started running. I was running too fast and with no form at all. Check on those.

I get a pain like that but through my foot when doing calve raises or something similar. It's really weird.

Probably because I'm fat as fuck and maybe close to diabetus or something. It doesn't hurt enough to stop, but it's like an electric shock.

>but it's like an electric shock
That's different. What happens to that user has to do with load and distribution. You need to stretch. Former fatwhale. Trust me.

I just started running a little while ago. Normally I do 3k or so when I run. Last night I read a bunch of info about proper running form and I decided to do a 12k run. At about the 7k mark I was quite sore in many random areas and then my lower back just loosened right off. I had no idea it was so tight until it let go. I'm glad I focused on posture. As soon as I'm ready I'm going for that 12k route again

Shit bait

?

So run slower?

Try to make sure you're leaning decently forward and not landing heavy on your heels. Your feet should strike somewhere from your mid/forefoot with moderately-short steps (with your legs pumping more like engine pistons and less like bicycle pedals) and at a cadence of about 180bpm.

If its just your left leg, you may have problems with your feet rolling in- or out-ward (overpronation/underpronation) that could be due to inadequate footwear or a lack of strength in stabilizer muscles in your legs/hips.

You may want to go to a specialty running store and have someone check out your stride and foot placement; It could show you what you'd need to correct or they could hook you up with a pair of shoes that will better suit your running physiology.

Can running help slim down large thighs?

C25K. Google.

Well done breh. You'll be running 100milers in no time. Just kidding, but seriously, daps to you. I know all your feels, except the overweight part, but the unfitness I truly understand.

It's probably shin splints, they can get pretty painful at times.
Ice it, take pain killers/ anti-inflammatory, compress it and elevate it on rest days. That's all you can do.
They go away eventually though because I used to have them 24/7

Run in the morning or at night.

I've noticed since I started cutting and picked up running they my right ankle cracks sometimes when I put it down. It doesn't hurt but it doesn't sound healthy or pleasant. How many forms of cancer do I have? Is there a way I can stop it?

Not sure if b8? If you're a fat fuck then yeah, if you just have muscular thighs then it'll probably bring them down too but I'm not sure.

Don't heel strike when you run. There's a couple of posts further up shitting on "running technique" but it's not a meme. I had no back, ankle, or knee issues once I sorted my tech. Only issues I had were muscular which could be stretched out or went away.