few reps
heavy weight
back squat

/thread

This.

all down to personal preference really.
just no higher than parallel

personally Im most comfortable with low bar, to parallel, many reps
shitty mobility, and Im not a powerlifter, so Im good with this.

low, otherwise agree

activates yr posterior chain more

Step one : dont

High bar, as low as possible (significantly below parallel) reps/weight is subjective depending on goals.

Most people will probably want to do low reps/high weight. Personally I squat for endurance running (legs are big enough for my tastes after doing a year and a half of low reps/high weight) so I do about 60 percent of 1RM for 2 sets of 5 then 1 set of 20.

And that's the thread right there. Everyone go home

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter which squat technique you favor. Everything depends on your goal.

Sport specificity is king.

High bar squatting translates nicely for Olympic lifting, but front squats are also great. If you're a powerlifter, you should learn low bar for the mechanical advantage it provides.

If you can hit ass to grass without horrific form compromise, get down there.
If you can't, don't. It's not the end of the world.

People with long legs and short torsos will have more forward lean as they squat. People with short legs and long torsos will naturally stay more upright.

High reps will benefit you if you're going for hypertrophy. Moderately low reps will help with strength. Very low reps with a focus on speed/maximal effort will assist with power. (But don't neglect the use of sprints/Oly lifts/plyos for maximum power. That shit's the truth.)

The only wrong choice is to neglect the squat pattern entirely. It's a basic one that everyone should be able to do.

Get with a personal trainer, they'll help with your form. It will change your life. Just a couple sessions will do it.

This guy is on point. Listen to him.

Perhaps the best post I've seen in a thread here in a long time. Machamp smiles upon your soul.

Dem godly tits

Thanks guys-- Much appreciated. (Sometimes it's fun to give shitposting a rest and help my fellow Anons out.)

>tfw people try to correct your form
form is drastically different depending on your body proportions for deadlift and squat

>shitty mobility
That's me. Would love to do ass to grass and high-bar, but I just fucken can't. Better to do sub-par squats then not doing them at all.

Thank you very much for such complete answer user. ill give you more 10/10 for the effort.

I want strength. only that.

I can lift more with low bar, but somebody told me I should try high bar and that was a disaster because I can get down with a straight posture... so he told me to do front squats

High bar
Below Parallel at a minimum
maximum of 9 reps, usually around 5
Back Squat/front squat are both ok, back squat is better imo

*i cant

>tfw wrists/fingers not flexible enough to hold the bar on front squat or cleans

How do I FIX THIS???

load up a heavy weight and just stand with it in the grip position. When you loose the grip reset and do it again. It's stretching basically.

*tip*

what the fuck is high bar / low bar?

High bar you place it on your traps
Low bar you place it beneath your shoulder blades

High bar makes your back more vertical than low bar

Highbar as deep as you can squat for quad development, reps over 5 obviously because you're not training for strength. Train lowbar if you want strength, keep reps 2 to 6 and squat to powerlifting/IPF depth.

wtf? putting the bar beneath your shoulder blades is a thing? why on Earth?

So you can squat heavier and involve hamstrings more

>lowbar
>few reps
>heavy
>when your thighs hit your stomach or if your calves hit your thigh

worth it?

So that you work your hams harder and lift more because you need less torque you dyel

should you use your glutes to drive when squatting? i can lift a lot more using my glutes but i feel like i dont target my quads doing so.

fpbp

rippletits likes them
yes, drive with your hip, you arent standing up when you are squatting, you are moving your hip up

That is what deadlifts are for

i do high bar ass to grass ~5 reps

do i get my rippytoe award

Looking forward to the Olympics, watching China dominate the weightlifting all categories

yeah I lift, but never like this - learned to squat properly (high bar, ass to grass) and have never even considered fucking around with that form.

>proberly
triggered

highbar is good if you like to keep your back straight, but lowbar is more comfortable imo

high bar squatter here. they always felt incredibly natural to me and i have never had and flexibility issues. Low bar was a completely different beast - incredibly uncomfortable and unnatural. high bar for life

rippletits likes lowbar

Everyone is different.

The difference between high and low bar is highly highly exaggerated and I've never even heard anyone mention the distinction other than on here....

I like to do pyramid like

135x8 warmup
185x8
225x5
245x5
265x3-5

I do ATG on first two sets to work on stretching and just below parallel for the rest. I rarely front squat.

The best method is always what eorks best for you. What feels good? What never causes injury or undue pain? What gives you the most gains? Whats best for your schedule? Are you going for strength, hypertrophy, aesthetics, weight loss, rehab Injury, etc

You will learn young one.

Oh and I guess I do high bar. But as I said, moving the bar 2 inches really doesn't change the mechanics as dramatically as people think.

I think unless you have very strange proportions (long torso, short legs) just pop that bar on top of those juicy traps wherever it sinks in, and rep that bitch out. Makes those plates clang boy

High bar, low bar, parallel, mid bar. Who the fuck cares? Get in the gym and squat and don't worry about such trivial shit.

As for reps, low reps (3-6) for. strength, high reps (7-12) for muscle gain, and super high reps (12+) for endurance. Your choice

I've been getting pain in my lower back and has been stopping me from going to a higher weight, is would putting the bar higher up help?

I want to know this too

Always try new shit. I would recommend that. Mske sure to stretch hams and all the muscles around the hips, quads, calves, see if that helps.

Try feet closer or further apart, feet more or less angled out, to bend at the waist more or less.

Basically, if it doesnt feel right, slowly go through all the things you can change until one feels better, figure out the best combination.

I've lifted from 15-18 and 22-24, almost 5 years, and I still am slowly changing my bench, deadlift form all the time, even a couple inches difference in where your body is can mske a huge difference as far as leverage and chance of injury

Tape yourself from the front and side if possible. It's much easier to figure shit out if you an pause, slo-mo, etc

Also check your back angle. Hyperextension is as bad as the cat back. Make sure it's tight and strsight without over flexing and hyperextending.

One last thing: if your back is overcompensating for weak legs, that can be a contributing cause. Most likely weak glutes. Possibly weak hams.

Its possible your back is weak but I'd assume not. If you can deadlift and not have this discomfort, it's likely lagging legs .

And my very last piece of advice, look up "butt-wink". You may have it, probably not. Make sure your knees are over ankles/feet, make sure you don't stick your butt out too far.

Sticking your butt out puts a ton of unneeded pressure on your lower back.

Rare Sam Hyde pic where'd you find it

Squat with whatever bar position you feel like.

Go ass to grass for front squats and the lightest of warm-ups, otherwise, hip crease below the knee is all you need.

Many reps (sets x reps) to accumulate fatigue and train work capacity/volume.

Few reps at high intensity to allow fatigue to bleed off and to test strength.

Back squat for most of your training.

Front squat for fun and variance.

Overhead squat if you're interested in mobility gains.

>goldenglue
>in 2016
>over solo queue talent that you've already fucking signed

If you wanna be a powerlifter:

Low bar
Parallel
Super heavy

Genie mode
>Get bar into position on chest
>Put left hand on right shoulder, right hand on left, keep elbows pointed as high up as you can through the lift
>work on flexibility in the meantime

How is he supposed to get into this position in a Power Clean?

Meant more for aiding front squat.
Sry

HIGH BAR ASS TO GRASS HEAVY WEIGHT BACK SQUAT

If it's not ass to grass it's not a squat but a weird ass deadlift.

And if you can't atg you need to work on mobility, useless fuck

>all categories
Lmao yeah up to 77kg weight class maybe. Then the non-manlet nations take over

Am I the only person who exclusively front squats? They fit my physiology much better.
I do RDLs for my posterior

Personal trainers are a meme and don't even do squats.

I can't do squats with weight yet. What can I do to build muscle in the right places so I can at least 1pl8?

low bar
parallel
3 sets
5 reps

Why is it that I shake horribly, feel pain and lose balance on the way back up from Atg squat?

That's impossible. My father is 70, doesn't lift, and when he came over and saw I had a garage gym he squatted 1 plate. You just don't have the flexibility or you're intimidated by the bar or something.

Work on doing 3rd world squats to get hamstring flexibility. You know how Chinamen can squat down for five minutes to take a smoke break? Then do a bunch of bodyweight squats.

>high bar
>below parallel only if you have the hip flexibilty (if you don't stretch until you do but stick with parallel until you do)
>high intensity low volume back squat as main
>medium intensity medium volume front squat as assist