Query for experienced lifters

Hi, I'm 21 years old and have a very athletic family, a couple of which compete in a different sports at a national level, but have been lazy all my life and not really done any sports, so I decided to change things and start lifting recently.

I first did around a month of a 4 day a week upper / lower split and took it quite seriously, but I used random subpar weights for deadlifts / squats.

I recently came across Candito's 5 week strength programme, for which I tested out my maxes to plug in to the programme to start and got:

Bench press 1rm: 60kg
Squat 1rm (ATG high bar): 100kg
Deadlift 1rm (conventional): 130kg

I've now completed two 5 week cycles of this of this programme and am at 85kg and I'd estimate around 15-20pc bodyfat at 6'0 (didn't record weight when starting unfortunately) and my lifts are now:

Bench press 1rm: 80kg
Squat 1rm (ATG high bar): 130kg
Deadlift 1rm (conventional): 170kg

I was wondering based on these starting stats and rate of noob gains, am I potentially of competing material, or is it too early to tell / should I train for a year or two to get a better idea?

I'm aware they are not the best lifts in the world, but I have gained a shit ton of muscle and not too much fat and my friend who got me into lifting says it's the fastest progress he's ever seen (he showed me how to do lifts properly etc)

So I'm just asking any of you experienced guys if there is potentially a future for me in powerlifting / Olympic weightlifting based on this?

Thanks, sorry if TL;DR.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>am I potentially of competing material
Get your vertical jump tested. I don't know what is athlete tier but get it tested. You cannot improve on this except maybe an inch or two with proper strength training. It's mostly genetic and that's why not everyone is a professional sports athlete/an Olympian.

I would definitely train for longer before you start competing, there is a rough guide line chart here but you should also check your body on symmetricstrength.com to get a basis.

Thanks I havent considered that, I will do, if it means anything I remember having a very fast untrained 100m and 200m run many years ago, and my family are mostly predominantly of fast twitch muscle fibre composition / all have long muscle insertions and long limbs. Not sure if that has much to do with carryover to vertical jump but ill definitely test that ASAP.

Yeah of course I'd not compete for now, I definitely have way too many flaws in technique of the 3 main lifts that I'm probably not even aware of, but I just mean based on my current rate of progress, is it too early to say if I have any real chance or genetic basis to succeed realistically? Perhaps review after a year or two of lifting?

Thanks for the link!

Of course everyone has the ability to succeed, but it's going to take a lot of hard work and dedication. I would get a coach or a pt to help you with the forms of the lifts if you're not entirely sure, but as long as you're persistent you will be good to go. Good luck!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020

Just did vertical jump test as described with a family member who knew what it was and got 25 inches, is that good / elite?

I am also 21 and have been training for 8 months.

My current numbers are 105/170/190KG at 80KG bodyweight.

My squat is only 5KG from advanced according to symmetric strength and a lot of people often call me out for lying about my numbers which makes me think I am making a good pace.

I have looked at some U23 results in my region and most winners in my weight class are putting up about 550-600KG so hopefully I can get there before I turn 24.

Have a look at the result from comps in your area and it should give you a good idea how far from the pace you are. Your numbers for 4 months are only slightly less than what I was doing around 4 months in although we don;t know your bodyweight. Definitely good progress though.

I am around 85kg (but measured after eating and drinking with clothes on so likely a few kilos less)

Nice lifts man! Do you do PL style squat or olympic? I should note im not arching more than my natural arch for bench as i want to get max range of motion on all lifts for general strength, is this wrong to do?

Good luck with your training, ill have a look at some local stuff going on and see how much work I have to do.

Thanks man, I do low bar nowadays and I do arch my back a bit on bench (Not like a powerlifter but so that only my ass and shoulders are on the bench).
Not arching certainly isn't "wrong" but you should still be using your legs to push yourself into the bench and to help keep you braced. As for arching in general though, most PLers tend to arch as much as possible to shorten ROM so they can get a bigger score on the board, in terms of building strength, arching really high is pointless unless you are practising technique for a PL meet.

I love Ripp in almost every aspect except for his thoughts on OLY.
In the video he discusses how it is literally impossible to increase your vertical jump. But that he includes Power Cleans in the program for you so that your ability to demonstrate power increases with your ability to demonstrate strength.

Furthermore, his instructions in a clean or power clean is *very* decent. It is better than most on YouTube to be fair and gives you a good starting point - but it is far away from how to properly execute it. I imagine it is on the same level as you would get at an alright Crossfit gym.

His way of teaching the Snatch is horrible. Look it up if you feel like it.

Ripp is one of the absolute best people in the business and SS is a fantastic book everyone interested in strength training should read. However, he is (and will say so himself) an expert in training beginners and not competitive athletes. What bothers me is when he makes sweeping comments and statements regarding things he is not an expert on. And will on other occasions pardon himself from commenting on as he is interested in training the general population and not weightlifters or other athletes.

>oly lifts
Opinion discarded

WELL MEME'D XD LOL

Do you have brain problems? He said you can increase it because it scales up with your squats and diddles but only up to a point. It will increase but only up to your genetic potential. Cleans is the best way to see your genetic potential since there's very little technique involved.

Please stop giving advice if you're going to spout bullshit about cleans having very little technique involved.

thats pretty shit

this cant be real, i can already jump a meter

Its pretty good, actually. Not great but well above average. There's a hell of a difference between a true vertical test and most of the jump heights you see people going on about.

nigga wut

25 inches is like just above fucking knee height

25 inches is top-end of average. Average male Vertical is 22 to 25.

As compared to other lifts?

Cleans have more technique than bench, dead, squat and press.

Either you're an undiscovered athlete or you didn't test properly.

how do you measure vert properly then?

We are both referring to power cleans right?
>deadlifts having less technique than power cleans
Supermang pls go

Don't make me post lmgtfy

Probably more than them combined.

The clean is about the second most complicated movement in lifting behind the snatch. Its vastly more technical than almost anything else with a barbell.

It also only has partial carryover with jump height once the lifter starts to get particularly strong for pretty much the same reason that speed benching doesn't really help your clap pushups. Too big a difference in load and force output.

oh i was doing it jumping onto a box, ill test proper way now

Deadlifts are probably the least technical lift you fucking mong. It is literally picking something up.

Easiest way is to reach up against a wall with your hand, mark the top and then do the same with the jump. Stickers are also useful for this.

yeah just did that, got 29 which sounds much more realistic

RIP your lower back

Oh no, I have to remember to not be retarded!

SUCH TECHNIQUE

29 is very solid. Not elite or world class but definitely competitive.

There's more to athleticism than explosiveness

>how do I avoid snap city deadlift express?
>cues?
>starting position?
>just don't be retarded brah

Yes but measuring your vertical is the best way of empirically determining your potential because technique will only get you so far with that movement.