Which city do you prefer, Athens or Sparta?

which city do you prefer, Athens or Sparta?

Neither

Normy: Athens
Fedora: Sparta
Patrician: Corinth

Spartans were faggots
Athens was far more alpha

Sparta okay k. thanks for asking bye.

I prefer Athens, but that's just because I'm more into maritime history. I don't find much impressive with the Spartans.

Corinth were huge faggots during the Peloponnesian wars. They kept dragging both sides into conflict, even when no peace agrrement was violated (see Korkyra)

>sparta
>city

I though they fought with spears underhand. Did they actually use an overhand grip?

>ywn be an athenian nobleman inviting your fellow athenian noble friends to your house party to talk about the nature of love

why even live?

Syracuse

Macedonia

Okay, come on, Sparta is interesting, but anyone who picks them over Athens is memeing.

my nigga

Massalia

argos

I'm not too sure their pottery is the best evidence.

Let's compare late anquity Athens to Spa- oh wait
OK how about medieval Athens vs Spar-oh wait
OK how about modern Athens vs Spar-oh wait

athens is objectively superior by nature of actually existing when the decent historians of their time actually start writing, sparta was far too flawed to actually last for more than a couple centuries, the political and social system was untenable.

I would much rather live in Athens.

everyone would, only muh 300 memers disagree

Athens like any sensible person

who /thebes/ here

Sparta was a shit meme and is irrelevant today
Athens was a dupe and STILL is a dupe(pay denbts)
neither tbf

This

i'd like them better for their exploits against the spartans if they weren't a bunch of bitches that helped the persians in the Peloponnesian war

[spoiler]i can't believe google thinks that isn't a word pic related, shit pisses me off[/spoiler]

>thebes
go join the sacred band you homo

>not wanting to be protected by an elite force of 300 strong infantry men
fag

I bet you just want into the Sacred Band because of the post-Battle orgies

ROMA

>he doesnt balance vases on his cock to show off
reddit pls leave

Athens. Sparta was a curiosity, Athens was more integral for western civilization.

Sparta. The Spartan military isn't what made them great. In fact it's likely that it wasn't even that good. Their institutions are interesting and allowed a small city to overtake Greece for a time.

Plataea.

Melos is the patrician answer

I was referring to the tails, faggot

>Overtake greece
When

Vases actually show both types so historians aren't actually sure what they did.

Patrician is Thebes dumbass

Whichever side Alcibiades is on at any given time

Neither.

Athens ruined everyone else's mythology, while Sparta is overrated.

The chigi vase isn't even depicting phalanx combat, faggot. On top of that it's one of two vases from the same artist depicting that in Sicily. No other vase in that time period depicts a similar battle scene.

Scholagladitoria gave a good explanation. Basically in a formation you don’t have a lot of room to use underhand and you can accidentally hit the guy behind you with he back of your spear, so overhand solves this problem. It also allows you to attack from a higher position and reach over your adversary’s shield, they likely switched to underhand in more lose formations because he advantages of holding it that way are more apparent, basically imagine trying to operate a spear in the crowd if you’re holding it underhand, it would get knocked around and be hard to control. If you hold it overhand you’re basically holding it over your head so you’re not gonna hit the guys behind you or to your sides because the back of the spear angles upwards and you thrust at a downward angle. This is all just speculation but it makes sense.

I choose Massilia.

normy: athens
larp as non greek tier: sparta
colony tier: emporion, syracuse, massalia
pseudo intellectual tier: byzantium heh becuase it was a city before an empire !!! XD
Crimea tier: cimmeria
kang tier: kyrenaike

this
but
>demi-god: Massilia

Fucking furries.

Any good books on Massilia? I want to learn more about it, seems like a really interesting colony.

Good choices m8

Persia

Athens, i like Naval warfare and the Spartans don’t seem to have been expert cavaliers like the Macedonians so I can’t empathize with them

>Sparta

A nation of unrepentant authoritarians and brutal warriors who stayed true to their ideology throughout the majority of their independent existence.

>Athens

A nation of "enlightened" boyfuckers who abandoned their ideals of a direct democracy and embraced an autocrat at the first sign of trouble.

Better an asshole than a hypocrite desu, but that's just like my opinion.

the Spartans fucked the shit out of young boys and sleeping with the younger warriors was a way of jumping them into their cult, they also hunted their slaves like animals

>they also hunted their slaves like animals

At least they're consistent about it.

Mytilene

Kang Tiger is Macedonia and Thrace

>we wuz Greekz an shiet

>forced to be a manslave to female elite
>probably die young
how is this a question? athens. you have to have mental issues to prefer sparta.

Spartans were also pussywhipped and the Athenians constantly gave them shit for it

Spartans, more elite, huge kdr.

Don't know enough about them or any of the other city states to make a judgement.
It doesn't matter all that much now anyway though.
They're all orthodox.
In the end, it didn't change.

Brainlet: Greek city state
brainchad: macedon

Pergamon

Alexandria desu

which one?

Egyptian one

isn't it funny how little we have changed? do you think ancients would be impressed that we also have traps, nicer than ever?

Ephesus

Sparta.

Athens is for fucking nerd redditors which is why every one itt is choosing them.

>Sparta = Warrior society
>Athens = Philosopher society
>Corinth = Merchant society
How correct is this?

why are they all white

They look like Greek Meds, as they should.

>wh*Te
they're all clearly meds

this was thousands of years ago where all men worked outside in the scorching mediterranean sun
they should be tanned as fuck

What about... both?

Those hoplites should be black, wh*tebois don't have the intelligence to start a civilization (why they steal ones that were made by black men such as Athens and Rome), nor can their pink skin withstand the heat of the Mediterranean.

fucking wh*tebois keep taking credit for shit the black man did
WE WERE GREEKS AND WHAT NOT
lmao wh*teys are fucking pathetic

Greek here, how tan do you expect us to become during summer? Nigger tier?
Personally Im quite pale, not as much as a german obviously in winter, and become quite tan in summer, but nothing close to an arab.
stop the le huwhite meme.

we don't turn to niggers but we are obviously not as pale as Germans/Anglos. I'm sure you've also seen their tourists turning pink over a little summer sun, because I sure have
t. Portuguese

oh yeah the eternal anglo morons that cover themselves in a thick paste of sunscreen and think they can help themselves.
thankfully someone understands here, too bad it takes a med to understand us.

Athens had a huge mercantile force, the wealth leading to philosophers coming to Athens. Corinth was just dominant earlier, then began its decline while Athens rose.

They were both dicks. Thebes too. Argos too. Corinth too. Elis too. Phocis too.

The History of Classical Greece: You Were Either A Dick Or You Were Sucking One

April 25, 404 BC - July 6, 371 BC by Shire Reckoning

what would you call it?
a state?
or a village?

>not wanting to be in comfy syracuse
>not wanting to stay in Magna Graecia to battle with punics.

SPARTA.

Thebes unironically

The Greeks must be united under a Koinon Hellenon

>the virgin athenian wallcucks vs. the spartan "no walls all balls" agogechads

They weren't dominant on their own, they just had the support of Persia. Even then, they didn't achieve mucb during their "hegemony". If anything, their instituion hindered their potential at this point. In those 30 years, what did they actually accomplish? A stalemate war? Being Persia's bitch? Getting shitstomped by Thebes?

They achieved staving off some other Greek power from subjugating them, which it seems to me was their main goal in the first place. Maintaining the status quo. Thebes hadn't yet shitstomped them during those years. The end date there is the Battle of Leuctra.

Rome

>Implying the tails aren't buttplugs.

ya but kyrenaike is in north Africa

/thread
But also Sicily, as they was what done in Athenian boy fuckers

Argos is the only patrician choice

Sparta didnt actually have anything resembling a "warrior society" until they were a totally irrelevant roman tourist destination

this
Reminder that the cultures of the east were effeminate and filled with the evils of LVXVRIA

Why are you spouting nonsense? The spartiate class was present long before that and was military focused.

>clearly a princeps
>calls him a triarii

Shit, you're right, not heavy enough armor & not long enough spear
the other republican legionary picture I got is unlabelled, is it a princeps as well (doesn't have a spear, so I don't think it should be a hastatus)?

Eskhate

>no Epirus being Chad tier

>ceiling tile tier

got eem