/owg/

/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYKQZg-b1FYhl4P8OnCd_C2v2tjOC55X
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYKQZg-b1FaJbNrQrwYXkP0BVDKdTpPy
chinfl.blogspot.com.br/
iwf.net/category/anti-doping-news/
allthingsgym.com/weightlifting-news-11-bulgarian-weightlifters-test-positive-for-stanozolol/
allthingsgym.com/retests-olympic-doping-samples/
youtube.com/watch?v=_PKsKJvFQwQ
youtu.be/wIB_X2N6020?t=11m52s
youtube.com/watch?v=nErJ9zkESvs&feature=youtu.be
imgur.com/a/fkvCa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

JUST

You probably just lack skill in motor learning, which is something usual for people that haven't done lots of sports.

Have confidence and try to really focus on what your coach is telling you.

Hey guys is it ok to post form checks here? I've been trying to learn the power clean (very new lifter) and took a video of me performing it.

pastebin.com/1HgVcGam

Video tutorials
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYKQZg-b1FYhl4P8OnCd_C2v2tjOC55X
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYKQZg-b1FaJbNrQrwYXkP0BVDKdTpPy

Useful info
chinfl.blogspot.com.br/

Doping news
iwf.net/category/anti-doping-news/
allthingsgym.com/weightlifting-news-11-bulgarian-weightlifters-test-positive-for-stanozolol/
allthingsgym.com/retests-olympic-doping-samples/

pls include in op post

yes

Hi
Which days of the Olympics should I see?

Thanks, I will when I get home but I'm at the gym rn

I want to get into oly lifting one day cos it looks fucking awesome lol

all of them

do it faget

Will Klovolov be in the Olympics?

Which lifters should I look out for in the Olympics?

no

all of them

LIFT

wow that was incredibly helpful, thanks.

no problem stupid lelbron poster

the russian team

ilya ilyin

klokov

hysen

uh i thought they were all banned

na they are all there, literally just watched them walk in at the opening ceremony

oh wow cool okay thanks man

>tfw owg is dead

oh well

It died with trappy.

Didn't you hear the news?
Trappy is back under a new trip

ok heres my probably shitty hang power clean
pls no bully, only been lifting a few months and this is my 3rd time fucking around with power clean. Want to make sure the hang clean is good and then move forward

Bump

you need to have a big chest. that activates your lats. That was more like a deadlift with a jump at the end of it. A crane is a good analogy; think of your arms as the wire portion of the crane; they're simply there to latch onto the weight. the real lifting mechanism is in the base of the crane. Bust just remember: chest up, shoulders back

Awesome, thank you. I'll focus on chest up shoulders back next time. Appreciate the help :)

also you don't actually have to jump. that jump looked very unnatural, and awkward. a jump should be a side product of a clean, not a focal point.

not one thing was good about that video

grab a broom stick, unlock your knees, stick your ass back and your chin forward far enough that you feel tension in the back of your knees, then jump the bar to your shoulders or overhead as appropriate

Should my jerk grip be wider than my overhead press grip? I press pretty narrow but it's difficult to hold in the catch position with my elbows high.

it really varies. it's best to try things out yourself to see how they feel. some people adjust their grips outwards after completing the clean. Cain Wilkes jerks with snatch grip

isley is subtlety touching the girl's booby.

I see. I was watching Rippetoe's video on the clean and he explained it by saying to jump. What should the cue be for the second pull? Like what should be going through your mind when you start to accelerate upward

>stick your ass back and your chin forward far enough that you feel tension in the back of your knees
thank you, ill make sure to get this

You should start the final pull when the bar is at the point of the most explosion. This is almost always your hip crease.

The way I was taught was three pulls: first up the shins to the knee; second up the thigh; and finally three is past the hip crease, resulting in the bar going up to your shoulders. make sure your keep the bar as close as possible at all times. This reduces the loopiness of the final movement in the clean

also don't watch Rippetoe for clean tutorials. He doesn't teach the (power)clean in Olympic style.

Torokhity has good tutorial series on it

youtube.com/watch?v=_PKsKJvFQwQ

>CrossFit

Torokhity is a gold medalist you goof

>This is almost always your hip crease.

>don't watch Rippetoe

Yeah I was trying to follow rippetoe's advice, where he said to jump at a certain point somewhere in the middle of the thigh.
youtu.be/wIB_X2N6020?t=11m52s

This third pull stuff is new to me, I didn't realize it was supposed to go all the way to the hip crease. I guess that makes sense as everything is more in line that way. Thank you for the advice, I'll watch the tutorial series you linked :)

when I say hip crease, I really mean it more than a cue. Like, when you get to a certain point, you're supposed to pull the bar to make it shoot past your hip crease and up to your shoulders. The bar path is supposed to be in a straight line; if you pull from the middle of the thigh you're usually going to get some loop.

I see, thanks. That makes sense. Dunno why rippetoe was so adamant about middle thigh then

Ripp is great for getting people into lifting. But he's not the best for technical advice. His mindset and all that is good. He's a good coach in terms of motivation, not so much for technical ability. He also wasn't an Olympic lifter

just remember that everyone has different ways of explaining things, and that someone might explain things differently than I do. It's best to give things a try yourself, kind of experiment. Though you should probably try looking around for someone to teach you, as you're a true beginner.

Rips knowledge (however much you wish to credit him with) comes from the old school of Olympic lifting, when the rules on bar contact were significantly stricter than they are now.

did Rip actually do Olympic lifting? I legit have no idea, I thought he was strictly powerlifting

rip has had how many successful athletes again

he's so overrated
starting strength the program is above average, his book is good and everything else is meh; there is nothing great about him

While I don't think his methods are the best, Rip is awesome. He can still pull five hundo.

He was strictly powerlifting, but much of his ideas come through working under Bill Starr who did both.

im not saying he's bad, but people worship him like an un disputable god

i recommend him for people getting into strength or even lifting in general but weightlifting isn't his strong suit

right, I knew about his training under Starr. Either way, I wouldn't really take anything he has to say about Olympic movements seriously.

also, for the beginner, DO NOT backsquat lowbar.

oh yeah, I agree. still love the guy though

>mfw i frontsquat lowbar

Neither would I, at least as far as genuine oly lifting goes. He's somewhat more useful for people looking to use more simplified versions of the lifts for other purposes but that's about it.

>he doesn't zercher squat

>This is almost always your hip crease.
Wrong. More like mid/upper thigh when cleaning.

>keep the bar as close as possible at all times
Wrong. You actually will slow the bar down, if you drag it along your thighs. You keep it close, but do not press it against you until it comes to the last point where you make the contact and explode. Some lifters tend to keep it visually away from thigh to make it really slam to the contact point, bar makes a pretty loud noise. Then there's chinese lifters who make it more smooth.

>deadlifts then jumps
listen up dummy you need to study the elite lifters more the fact that you pull from a deadlift position already tells us that you're not even trying

also dont jump its a fucking pull

Why did he walk like that? I don't understand? Did he have a condition?

yeah tbqh i just watched rippetoe's video and he basically said lift the bar to mid thigh and then jump. apparently thats bad advice, according to the thread. ill watch some more videos and try and figure out the form. thank u for the advice though, is there any youtube channel or something where you can look at videos of elite lifters lifting / training?

The three pulls method almost always cause an issue at the knees

The Soviets taught the pull not to be to knees then above knees but past the knees so you have a smooth transition

M
A B S O L U T E
D
M
A
N

Rip is bad advice if you're doing it to be good at the Olympic lifts. If you're doing it for overall power and/or a light deadlift alternative its more workable (which, of course, is his reasoning for using the power clean in his programs).

yeah I eventually want to start doing olympic lifts but i mean im still a beginner lol. only hit 2 plate squat the other day. i guess ill keep working on my clean form, hopefully in a month i can post another video in owg and have it received better :)

just go to fucking youtube type in olympic weightlifting and look at the pro's you dummy you want me to hold your hand too

Preferably you would want to copy someone with your proportions

you understand this isnt a meaningful critique right

you train notable athletes by finding lots and lots of promising talent through networking, not by running a public gym

Yeah I was gonna do that, just wondering if there was some good channel or whatever that you like, would be nice to know, damn dude chill

You have issues, better if you just stop posting m8

just search Hookgrip and AllThingsGym

outta the way long the big kids are lifting right now

youtube.com/watch?v=nErJ9zkESvs&feature=youtu.be

>also dont jump its a fucking pull
A little "jump" is ok when you are new to this. Beginners don't really understand how to fire hips fast. You will not end "jumping" when you also start to get under the bar at the same time. When things get heavier, you will start to get a better understanding how this works, because you can't jump off the floor with big weights.

Crossfitters who have begun learning the lifts actually do better than most people here with form checks, because they can't fire their hips with the information they are given. But there is also a possibility that somebody is going to actually jump trying to raise his center of mass, which is why i hate the "jumping" word..

Where's that guy that loliposts with commisar

lolis are shit. get out

delete your post before it's too late

what you gon do about it pedo :3

reeee dont call me names

Let's come to a truce
imgur.com/a/fkvCa

Have an oppai loli

that link gave me a virus wtf?!

you fell for my ruse. you betta not TRUST anyone ever again and make sure not to get into suspicious vans or click strange links

Is learning snatch and c&j by myself a good idea? My only other option is joining a crossfit gym and that's somethin I'd rather not do.

dont tell me what to do you fag

Fine then, I'll come over and stop by in my white van with FREE LOLIS written on the side. You'll get what's coming to you when you fall for my trap

it can be done

>DO NOT backsquat lowbar
Why?

>Is learning snatch and c&j by myself a good idea?
It is. Its frustrating sometimes even with a coach. Are you sure that its your ONLY option? That's literally what i said when i was going to start, and now i lift almost for free with a coach and a group.

KYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYSKYS

>oppai
>loli

pick one

Bad habits. You want positional strength, that's why you squat as upright as possible. If your lowbar is a lot better than your Hb squat, you will always come up with your ass and it doesn't transfer to the classic lifts well.

Are there even any mods on Veeky Forums anymore
Or is /owg/ just that cancerous?

I went into thread shitposting fully expecting to get banned

I'm the only mod

no wonder this board is shit

not ok delete this

Where do I find a stream to the weightlifting in the Olympics?

f u c k o f f

something is wrong with you

Anyone know of good streams for the weightlifting events/have they started?
Been busy and havent checked.

they havent started dw

bbc

Why is Klokov so popular again? He never won gold and his last championship was over a decade ago. I know he retired, but he wasn't a big deal when he completed either.

It starts with Women until 48 kg today at 19:00 (Rio time, in 5 hours)

When I powerclean, am I supposed to keep arms straight, or pull with the arms? Won't that lose power?

Just saw that. Thanks. I'm hyped.

arms straight for first pull then keep it as close to your chest as possible.