Running general: Ultramarathon edition

Running general.

I am going to start it off with a question for ultramarathon runners.

How did you gauge your ability to do a 50 mile ultra marathon? I ran my first marathon today (training run) after seriously training for a half iron man and focusing on the half marathon distance.

Other urls found in this thread:

runnersworld.com/tag/blisters
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pic is actually hicking in faggy cloth.
pls learn your shit

You clearly don't know shit.

The guy at the center is Kilian Jornet, he's incredible.

No need to respond, stalker. It's only a troll.

>Kilian Jornet
>Hiking

You don't know shit user.

I'm new to running, I have a blister on my foot after a couple of days. I want to run again today though. Is there anything I can do to stop it getting really sore?

runnersworld.com/tag/blisters

Invest in 3-5 pairs of good running socks, and try to avoid blisters like the plague.

>runnersworld.com/tag/blisters
Thanks, will do.

Is there anything I can do short term? I'm doing a challenge with my sister with our fitness wristbands which ends tomorrow and I really hate losing.

You can try to cushion it with blister treatment stuff that you can buy at walgreens, but I have never tried that before. I would concede and not push it.

FUCK!

thanks for your time!

What strength/weight training routines do people recommend?

Unrelated: I had no idea a sub-3 hour marathon was so rare but apparently it is.

I've done a few ultras. Started off with a few short ones (30 mi) and decided I wanted to test my limits. I jumped straight to 100mi all within 12 months of being back running after yrs off. I just used a few training runs of a marathon distance as a guide. It was a shit guide mind you. I just didn't have that long to prepare so I chose consistent running over huge training runs that would need long recovery. I could bust out a hilly marathon on trails in full training without difficulty and that's the best I could go by before the race.

What do we recommend for running? How many hours a week do you have to train?

Could you describe your level of fatigue after one of your marathon training runs? I am trying to decide if what I felt is an indication that I should not do 50 miles, or if a short break and more walks would get me through.

Yeah I mean strength training for someone whose primary focus is running. I'd like to add a routine two or three times a week.

How many hours a week do you have to train?

I'd like to keep it to a max of an hour per day, maximum of three days a week. Three hours.

Honestly I was very comfortable throughout and after. I had my nutrition and hydration on point plus I walked any decent climb bc that was my race plan for the big one. I had the next days training in the pool then went back to back to back 2hr trail runs in the heat of the day. When only running a Marathon as prep for 100mi I really didn't have a choice but to be fine afterwards or id be wasting my time trying to do 3.5 of them in a row. Make sure you have the other factors involved with distances that long and not just use running as the only gauge. Did you eat/drink enough? Did you spend too much energy running hills you should have walked? How's your pacing going for you etc? All questions you should ask yourself and honestly answer bc you'll find out a LOT about yourself over 50mi my man.

Three hours a week to train and run?

Anyone ever hurt their big toes by running on them too much? Mine are sore now and even walking kinda hurts

Well shit, i was feeling pretty sore today after 26 miles. I went slow and averaged 9 minute miles too. I need to do some soul searching before I sign up for the race. I could really hurt myself if I am not ready.

for someone looking to get into half marathons/marathons what's a good schedule?

i was doing roughly 3-5 miles every single day with some months well over 100+ miles. i just completed my first 10 mile run on sunday and then a half marathon on wednesday.

just 3 times a week with 8-13 mile runs at a time or what?

Three hours a week for training. I run six mornings a week, currently at 27 miles per week but that's been steadily increasing. I imagine I'll top out somewhere around 40-45.

So the new meme in running is to run less. Run your long runs easy, run your short runs hard, and when you are not running, chill the fuck out.

What are your goals? What do you think strength training will accomplish for you?

Ultimately I'd like to run a half marathon under 90 minutes, but I can't imagine that would happen before next spring. In the meantime I'd like to get a little leaner and lower my bodyfat percentage mildly (that's a diet issue though of course), and I imagine strength training would help somewhat with that, as well as help prevent injury and support good/efficient running form.

That's pretty fast. What is your 5k pr? How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Whats the ideal distance & time to run for maximum heart and vo2 max gains?

5K pr is 18:35. That was in high school though, and I've just graduated from college, so this summer has been my initial return to running. I'm 6'0" and weigh 140 lbs. I weighed closer to 130 in hs though.

Shit, I am 6'2 at 153 and I could not imagine weighing any less. Your 5k time is a minute faster than mine.

I don't weight train because I either run hard or rest harder. You are a very competitive runner, so you should maybe seek out a coach.

Pain is the nature of the beast mate. Good luck

I'm interested in running sprints. What do you guys recommend for training? 100m, 200m, 400m

Won't you get muscle imbalances, which may lead to injuries, without strength training?

So after being a fatty sitting around all day I decided to start running. Is this good progress? Pauses were 10, 15 and 6 minutes respectively, is the "run slower but farther" meme true?

>8 weeks into C25K
>light at end of the tunnel
>no longer getting winded as fuck way before I get to stop
>immediately start getting super sore calves that I have to push through instead

REEEEEEEEE

They don't feel like shin splints or cramps or anything with sharp pain. The pain feels a lot more like DOMS than something actually fucked up. Do I just have weak calf muscles? I was extremely sedentary before this. I dont want to take a break if I have to

In this whole last 2 months I never got shin splints and only got side stitches a couple times the first time I ram over 20 mins straight. Pretty sure my form isnt the issue... I follow the posture/pace/form guides exactly

If I don't have to*

The meme is true. But if you're just starting, make sure to take enough rest days. I'd say aim to run 3-4 times a week max. You risk injury otherwise.

Keep up the good work

The further but slower is to build your aerobic base. Even people training for marathons go "long and slow" when they do their long run. You don't need to train for speed yet. Speed is trained during the lower mileages by doing 800m repeats, tempo runs, hill sprints, and intervals

RICE

Look up Hensen's training for marathon training. You are already doing his plan. Now you just need to focus on the longer run.

Anything that works your entire body. Do full body twice a week. Focus on doing more reps at lower reps. This helps your slow twitch fibers which will be you'll be using way more of.

Oh sry did I insult your hicking husbando

>yfw

Today I did a 35k run as training for a marathon in less than 2 months.

I think it went ok, but I have no idea how the fuck am I supposed to run the whole marathon at (my) marathon pace. Is this a normal feeling?

>mfw despair

How am I balancing my muscles if I am training the ones that I need for running? I am also running long distance, so muscle strength is lol.

What is your pace? Taking breaks is highly advisable.

That's what I look like around mile 20.

Good job.

When your running in a marathon, you will unconsciously run faster. With your endorphins and endocannboids going fill blast, you eon't tire down as much. However, you'll hit the wall faster. Be sure to even drink a little bit of gatorade during the early part of your race.

Have you been taking energy gels and gatorade with you in your runs? How is that working for you?

>mile 20

Put in a few more years and drop some weight. I believe in you.

If 10k is my focus distance does my schedule seem ok?
4 days a week
15k x 10k x 10k 5k x

You'll need to elaborate your plan. What does your speed workouts look like?

My long runs are at 6min/km. Goal is 3h30 (5min/km).
I havent really been taking breaks. just a minute total or so to refill my water bottles.
Ive also been drinking gatored but no gels. Its another thing that worries me. Ill try to take some on my next long run and see how it goes.

At the end of the run though, it was mostly my knees that were feeling the pain, not the muscles. dunno what to think about that

So, I run for 35 minutes a day but it seems not enough since I can't cut weight anymore
Should I go faster? How do I force myself to do it?

god damn lack of freedom units.

Are you on a specific training plan right now? You should really mix up your runs to get a good diversity of short/intense and long and slow.

What I said above. You need a good diversity of runs. What are your goals and what are you metrics (speed, weight, heigh, etc)?

Height: 168 cm
Weight: 74 kg

What I want is cut to 62 kg and have a routine to stay that weight, possibly that doesn't take more than one hour a day, 30 mins would be ideal

1 mile of running/walking is about 100 calories. Running is good for you, but you need to overhaul your lifestyle in order to lose weight. Get a fitbit and try to walk as much as you can. Diet. Etc. Combine that with some supplemental running and swimming, and you should be able to meet your goals.

Should I run if my ankles hurt only a little

Like I could run, but It may trigger shin splints I don't know

I've done several marathons. I hate mile 20 since I always hit the wall. Those last six miles are agonizing.

If the pain is sharp, stop. If the pain is dull, go easy. Get a foam roller or stick and roll the fuck out of your lets while you're at it.

How do you all monitor your distance? I have an android and was using a highly rated running app... however today I went further than my previous run and it said that my distance was shorter.

If I'm not on a trail that has mile markers, run based on time instead of distance. Otherwise, start at a mile marker, and keep track that way.

It's one of those pain that you can tell is definitely a muscle pain

It feels kind of like when you get those random muscle cramps that make your feet curl

question, should I try a marathon next weekend?
I have only run past 3 weeks or so, with only 21km distance twice. before that I spent a while without training due to injury. last 30km run was like 3 months ago.

would I be able to pull it?

Fuck me I suck at running

I was doing 6 x 400m sprints and I vomited twice

GPS watch baby. Only way to go if you're a serious runner.

Would not recommend given you practically only have three weeks of training. You might finish but there's a huge chance for injury.

yeah, but I can do 21km without injury,albeit slowly. now 42km might be twice long, and I might have minimum training, but I still feel a bit on the edge.
part of me wants, other part thinks it is sheer lunacy and masochism

I mean it is only 42kms of pain and suffering :^)

Were the two 21km runs each back-to-back (one in one day, the other the very next day) or part of a split? If not, good luck. I'd still try it, but you're probably going to be in a bunch of pain and out of breath on mile 16 to 20.

oh shit, my post ends in 42km.

there will be suffering, exhaustion and pain next weekend

the gods of rolls have spoken

fuaaaggg, reminds me of my last two marathons

nothing like legs crashing at 20 mile mark kek

That's good

You're literally meant to vomit with HIIT

You should have mentioned you've done marathons before. So you're well aware of the wall. You should know what you have in store then. Good luck. It should be a challenge that's worth taking.

>tfw hit the wall

managed 3 so far, with last 2 being thoroughly horrific towards the end
shit that makes you ponder your life decisions and what is wrong with your head the moment you sign up for marathons

maybe fourth time will be less agonizing
but still, having only 2 halfs over the last week worries me a bit, but I guess it is enough for some people before they finish a full one

and here I just rolled 26 miles, goddammit

It's a sign. Go for it.

First, I map it out using Milermeter. Then I calculate the pace. And just to be sure, since I may be running in tangents, I bring my phone with a running app.

After I finish the couch to 5k can I just run until I get exhausted? I'm using it for boxing training.

If I'm going to be doing two back to back 5 mile mud obstacle races within two hours time in October will it be better for me to train with one long moderate pace for 10+ miles or should I train 5 miles for pace, rest an hour then run another 5 for pace again?

I'm going to basic training in 2 months

How fit can I get in terms of running in that time?