So, what's the difference between Quebecois French and, say, Parisian French?

So, what's the difference between Quebecois French and, say, Parisian French?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0a0cLmQSVF2
vocaroo.com/i/s0LQcQqTsTvt
vimeo.com/232070552
youtube.com/watch?v=cj4_zbCb6jA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Quebec french is vastly superior.

Quebec french is slightly less flamboyantly gay.

Quebec French is considerably more throaty, and more lax in the mouth as far as pronunciation goes.

Lexically, they also vary considerably. From what I understand, the Quebecois integrated a vast amount of English terms within their vocabulary over hundreds of years, which they "frenchified", while also using nautical lexicon for everyday terms, a testament to the province's maritime origins, "embarquer" being the one that stood out the most to me while I was there.

I'm French. I spent a week of vacation with a Quebecois last summer. I couldn't understand a fucking word coming out of his mouth. No doubt all of his words and his grammar was French, but I had to make him repeat every sentence because of his atrocious accent, it was a nightmare, even worse than if he was speaking a foreign language.

In Quebecer there is lots of litotes and at standard level English words have to be avoided at all cost and a government agency(Office de la langue francaise) will find French equivalent or even invent new words to replace anglicism .

quebec people are petty, miserable, self loathing, arrogant, and rude as opposed to regular french people

One eats poutine and one doesn't.

>petty, miserable, self loathing, arrogant, and rude

Sounds pretty French to me.

If I learn French and go to Quebec, will I understand them?
Anyone have a video comparison?

Depends on the tool you use to learn French.

Duolingo works pretty well, but using French media might teach you regionalism that'll be intelligible in Quebec.

You'll have an easier time being understood in Montreal than, say, Quebec City though.

I'm thinking of just taking some classes.

>t. tumour

>the Quebecois integrated a vast amount of English terms within their vocabulary over hundreds of years
You mean they added regurgitated French words to their already French vocabulary and French-ified them?

It sounds more like old french while parisian french sounds more flamboyant

Not sure that's exactly true, Quebec French evolved a good deal on its own as well, it's not the perfectly preserved Old French that most of its advocates try to pass it as.

Of course it's not perfectrly preserved the language evolved a lot but it sounds more like it than parisian french

Quebecker here. Speaking from experience with french students coming abroad to study, you'll be completely fine if you hang around Montreal.
Elsewhere and that's another problem.

Well, if I visited, and I do want to someday, I'd probably want to go to Quebec City.
How is Quebec City? Is it as full of old buildings and cathedrals as I imagine? And are you guys as horrible as everyone else insists?

As long as you don't publically say that you don't like poutine, you should be good

It's a fairy tale fucking town.

People are rude and impossible to understand though. But yeah, old buildings everywhere, real pretty.

Their accent is fucking funny and heart-warming when it's a dude but it's an absolute turn off when it's spoken by a girl though.

t. french

The entire point of being Quebecois is to achieve the platonic ideal of French. Like, underlying reality is a form that is perfectly French and the NATION of Quebec is utterly dedicated to unleashing it upon humanity by being as honhon as possible. As mere mortals they can only achieve a fraction of this perfection. I think humanity will just turn into fine wine when the project is completed.

Goddamn right we are

Québécois here. Here's a quick late-night reading of the Déclaration universelle des droits de l'homme. I'm from the Saguenay area.
vocaroo.com/i/s0a0cLmQSVF2

that's fucking cute bro (no homo though)

No homo my man. Do you speak French?

>quebec people are petty, miserable, self loathing, arrogant, and rude as opposed to regular french people
Sounds very French. In my experience the supposedly ugly American tourist doesn't hold a candle to the French, worse still are the French in camper vans.

that just sounds like normal French tho

I'm french. I find the quebec accent really nice. I agree with
though, it doesn't sound good on a girl

Here's another short clip clarifying a widespread misconception. vocaroo.com/i/s0LQcQqTsTvt

do people in QC actually know what tabernacle means?

Actually what does it means and how do you use it? Is it comparable to the french "putain"?

Most people know it's related to the Church, but not quite what is is unless they've been taught it. It's a very common swear word, used and conjugated as a noun, verb, adverb, etc. Other notable ones are : crisse (Christ), maudit, sacrament, câlisse (calice), esti/osti (hostie), etc.

TABARNAK
A
B
A
R
N
A
K

It's very interesting that all the curses in Québec are stongly related to religion, while in France most if not all the religious swearing disappeared

Quebecois profanity has a funny Wikipedia page.

vimeo.com/232070552

Quebec French sounds like retarded peasants for most of the French, it's like comparing a redneck yank to a posh brit

youtube.com/watch?v=cj4_zbCb6jA