Who pulls the lever so to speak to cause a fork? Do bitcoin holders vote on it? Who actually executes it?

Who pulls the lever so to speak to cause a fork? Do bitcoin holders vote on it? Who actually executes it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w3sI8WVX-cc
github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_contract
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashcash
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The President actually decides.

kek, anybody can fork. you can fork the fork if you wanted to

>pretending this isn't a larp
devs release an update to their implementation of the client. nodes run this new client instead of the old one.

gahhhh

A blockchain protocol is "just" a communication protocol over the internet.
For example, website information is transfered over the hypertext transfer protocol, a.k.a.
>http
You have your computer interpret this data with a browser.

More active than just reading the data is e.g. hosting a node on the "bitcoin network" (just a subset of people using the internet), e.g. for the purpose of mining.

The bitcoin code is online and steadily worked on. If someone makes a major change (changes how to protocol works), he can post it and advertise for people to "upgrade" their software to the new one (like a browser update, if you will).

If everybody accept the changes, the normal users of bitcoin won't notice, as it just means all nodes updated their software.
E.g. Monero had a for 2 weeks ago, the announcement was posted on reddit, planned, and everybody agreed and updated.

If however you have a fraction of the node hosters use one and the other fraction use another protocol, you effectively split the network resources.

I post some related stuff here

youtube.com/watch?v=w3sI8WVX-cc

Do the devs work for bitcoins official website? Is there an actual bitcoin headquarters?

Thank you. Very helpful.

The code is here
github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

There doesn't have to be a centralized company at all, you can go and propose an improvement right now: copy (=fork) it locally, change on your PC, make a PR (pull request) for the people who admin this code repository to take your changes in.

There are about 20 or so "core developers", however. Obviously not everybody can make changes without request there.

This repo is the source of hundrets of coins - stuff like Dogecoin just took this code and made some changes to make their own Snowflake coin.

it's called the buttcoin foundation, and people call them the 'core devs'

I don't know what their terms of employment are or if all of the major contributors in core actually work there or not

ahh ok so blockchain businesses using erc20 coins just made their own fork off of ether, mine all the coins, and offer an ico?

You see on the top that the bitcoin code was changed in 7784 different pull requests, and 236 are still open (not all will be accepted).

The names of the pull requests roughly descibe what the guy changed and to get it in, people will do a code review and whoever has admit rights accept it.

Not all code changes make for a fork, of course - most code changes leave the internet protocol untouched.

On the youtube channel above, I'll be posting tutorials on basic smart contract programming btw, if you're interested.

>buttcoin foundation
omg it's real

no, actually ERC-20 tokens are even cheapter to create. Some blockchains like Ethereumorn or Neo can host any number of token (you can mint new kinds of token on those protocols) and ERC-20 is just a coding standard for their creation.

That's your own channel?

Yeah.

Although I'm not gonna talk about Bitcoin, as it doesn't support general smart contracts, e.g. the ones used to make ERC-20 tokens. That's an idea from 10 years before Bitcoin, actually, but only now became relevant

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_contract

Proof of work, which I sort of motivate in the youtube video posted above is also from the 90, see

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashcash

cool. Thanks for the info. Very informative. I'll be checking out your channel.

you can fork bitcoin in your bedroom
nobody will give a fuck
but you can do that

if want cheaper you can make a waves token

:^)

wonder if that project will do something interesting again