Which one is better...

Which one is better? I recently switched to low bar and found I could move more weight and my lower back wasn't in shambles. Is my core and everything else still working the same as high bar?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qu6-KiPL89c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've switched to lowbar and never looked back

learn to abdominal brace and not to go so low that your low back rounds. put a hand on your abs and another on your low back and bend at the hips and squat down until you know what bending just at your hips feels like. stop lifting with your damned back, dumbass.

also, yes, high bar will be weaker than low bar. better leverage (back is the limiting factor in the squat).

I do both but lowbar is becoming my main squat variation. I can literally feel my glutes growing when I do lowbar.

low bar is better for strengthening the trunk.

I switched to highbar and my back honestly feels better with it, plus I feel good with the larger ROM. I also got lifting shoes which makes a difference.

Depends on femur length and such. I struggle with full ROM on high bar because I'm all legs. Low bar helps me hit just below parallel without annihilating my lower back

Generally low bar is more hip dominant and high bar is more quad dominant. Squat however you feel most comfortable.

>back is the limiting factor in the squat
Explain why some people have huge deadlifts and shit squats then.

Same. I do low bar if I want more glutes and hams, high bar for more quads.

itt: low bar fags doing quarter squats

I think that was a record number of posts before the first shit post by a faggot.

Depends. Do you have something you're training for?
If you train for powerlifting, you may want to use lowbar more often, but I would still advise that you keep highbar as a staple of your training. If you train for oly lifting, chuck lowbar out the window and only use highbar. If you're an aesthetics kinda guy, definitely go highbar. If you're training for general fitness, do what you want.

Unless you're competing it literally does not matter. Just do whatever you want get good at it.

I used to do low bar because muh SS, after seeing myself on tape I could bearly breake prallel so changed to high bar, now I have more ROM and can feel all my leg working better

Left pic looks like it would fuck your knees up hard.

>found the quarter squatter

The guy in this photo has such dogshit lowbar form.

>How to spot a retard 101

high bar is for men

anyone here have advice for fixing hyperextending spine in low bar?

Do you think those same people can good morning their deadlift weight?

>Squat however you feel most comfortable.
this

i squat the way that feels comfortable for my body. more specifically my knees
high bar on my back but i sitback when i squat. Knees seem to not go any further than my toes when i squat this way.

You could try fixing your eyesight lower. If you keep your head too high the curvature from yoir neck will transfer to the rest of your spine.

You could also try hi-bar where hyperextension isn't as much of an issue.

which one will put less stress in my knees? i fucked my left knee up a while ago...

what do I do if literally can't get low enough without leaning forward? I can't tell if it's because i'm fat or if my hips just aren't doing what their supposed to, or if its my hamstrings.

I do high bar but I do it like low bar, so the right side

I do high bar because I find that I cheat myself on depth if I try to do lowbar

I prefer lowbar

>bar feels more comfortable sitting on my rear delts than my traps
>don't have good enough ankle mobility to high bar without buying squat shows

>what do I do if literally can't get low enough without leaning forward?

stretch. sit in a full squat position for 10 minutes a day on days that you don't squat.

low bar squats are for powerlifters and new lifters with poor mobility. if you can't do a proper high bar squat, you've got mobility issues that need to be fixed.

>if you can't do a proper high bar squat, you've got mobility issues that need to be fixed.

this, seriously, if you want reasonable quality of life into your golden years, you are going to want to work on mobility and power generation

>stretch. sit in a full squat position for 10 minutes a day on days that you don't squat.

So basically become a Slav?

it may surprise you to hear that an effective way to get better at something is to do it more often

>I do low bar if I want more glutes

hahahahahahahah, fucking imbecile gtfo you are pollting Veeky Forums.

Both are bad meme lifts that will destroy your back and knees in good time.

Try them both and see what suits you. Depending on your body's particular quirks you will probably prefer one over the other.

I high bar as I have bad rotator cuffs and good leg flexibility but YMMV.

>t.dyel

>highbar
>bad highbar

Every fucking time. I squat predominantly highbar because it takes less out of me, I'd say probably 4-5:1 volume of highbar to lowbar in my training. Also in for "it literally does not matter." Whatever is comfortable and productive, whatever lets you brace well throughout the whole rep/set.

Probably lowbar, but just in general aim for a little more sit-back rather than just downward movement.

That's fairly common honestly.

I unironically think a IPF-depthlow bar squat is more demanding in terms of technique and mobility than a 'standard' down-then-up highbar squat.

the bar position is technically "high", but I use a wide-ish stance with toes at an angle. Also I cue my knees to go outwards which prevents them from moving inwards like many weightlifters do.

high bar squat is the first step to a perfect front squat, then the mobility glory of a perfect overhead squat.

Overhead squat is true master race

good. you should be looking forward and slightly down.

Fair enough if you're competing, but if you want big legs and you're doing low bar squats to hit big numbers, you're basically lying to yourself.

I know because I was that guy until I swallowed my pride, dropped the weight down and started high bar squatting. Now my legs actually get worked out rather than my lower back

Front squat is retardely simply to figure out though. The positioning of the weight prohibits you from doing it wrong barring hitting actual failure. And in terms of working your legs and trunk, OHS is literally doing the same thing as highbar but with a much, much lighter load.

>Which one is better?

The one that optimizes your leverages. For me it's high bar due to short femurs.

>tfw so upright because of my long torso and short femurs that my lowbar squat looks like most people's high bar

*and short arms. I can't comfortably maintain a low bar position without elbow and shoulder pain.

How do you niggas rate front squats?

Depends on what you want.

Leg hypertrophy and general athleticism

The purpose of low bar is to be able to move more weight. As far as a leg development exercise, the high bar is the "proper" way to squat. Unless you're training for powerlifting high-bar is the way to go. And even then, many powerlifters train high-bar anyway. Ed Coan famously did a lot of high bar squatting in training.

For purely working legs, high bar squat is king. But personally front squats hit my abs like nothing else do I still do them

Front squats puts all the emphasis on your quads, and your quads will then be the limiting factor in the lift. If you want big legs front squats are a great addition.

As long as you break parallel it doesn't matter.

Unless you specifically train PL or WL.

Really good exercise for just about anybody. I wouldn't throw out back squatting altogether but fronts are great.

This isn't 100% true. Your trunk/mid-back will almost definitely quit on your before your quads will.

>the current year
>still believing knees tracking over beyond is harmful

fuuuuuuck, 10/10 upboated

Nice.

>Leg hypertrophy and general athleticism
high bar coupled with front squats in cycles depending on where you're weak, obv assisting with back and hip work.
unilateral shit (one leg) is obv also needed if you want transfer into any sport. lunges, bulgarian split squats and one legged squats is the shiet here.

That's true I guess. I do feel like I'm about to tip forward a lot on max weights.

Thanks! Guess I'll start high bar squatting again

no, they'd fall over because physics. even if the cog was no issue, the torque applied by the weight would be much greater in a GM than a deadlift.

low bar if you want to emphasize hamstrings, glutes and low back more
high bar if you want to emphasize quads more.
many people seem to think high bar is the more "athletic" squat, but this is wrong. low bar is more useful for athletes since hamstrings, glutes and low back are more important in most sports than quads. on the other hand, quads are more important for bb'ers/aestheticsfags.

front squats is not really comparable to the other two and is more an assistance exercise, but it's mostly quads and upper back.

tipping forward isnt because of your core, its because tipping forward gives you better leverages so the lift is easier to finish. thus you tip forward when the main movers, quads in front squats, give up.

Tipping forward does not make a front squat easier to finish. It can for a back squat, and there it well could be an issue of weak quads (or more typically, laziness with form), but it's really not the same for fronts. Look at any video of someone rounding on a front squat - it's not just forward collapse like in a squatmorning, it's mid-back rounding, because that area is the weak point.

Thanks man.

What you said is what I was planning to do--makes sense! I think I need to work on keeping my torso more vertical by looking down , probably

This. Both are great in their own way, but it is ultimately up to you and your body

tfw you only do front squats because they work quads the most out of all squat variations and you can always just switch to back squats and start with a back squat 1pl8 higher than your front squat (tried several times)

Fix your eyes diagonally downward in front of you. You should only be moving your eyes, not your head.
Also make sure you keep slightly bent forward even at the top of the rep. Tuck your elbows into you and really activate your lats. It should help keep your back nice and slightly upright instead of pushing your ass out too far

I use similar form for high bar and low bar, just lower the bar and focus on sitting back a bit more on the latter. Feels comfy desu and lets me break parallel.

Master race

its both tipping forward and mid-back rounding, because you cant tip forward as much in a front squat cause the bar will fall off. mid-back rounding achieves the same thing while allowing the bar to stay in position.

i can hold a front rack position just fine with way more weight than my 1rm front squat for a longer period of time than a 1rm take time to perform.

Unless you have some competition-specific reason to pick one over the other, it literally doesn't matter.

You're also not changing your trunk angle in a hold. If quads were the weak link, you'd only be able to back squat a tiny bit more than you could front squat. Greg Nuckols has written about this a few times and while I don't agree with everything he says all the time, he's on the money here.

the angle changes only a tiny bit and the immensely greater weight used in the hold compensates

> If quads were the weak link, you'd only be able to back squat a tiny bit more than you could front squat.
thats just bullshit

How? Quads are a prime mover for any style of squat, and front squat uses the lowest possible load of all the squats. A slightly greater knee angle doesn't make it any more "quad dominant" than a high bar squat would be.

The placement of the way takes away the support you get from your back during a back squat. I mean the weight is right over your quads. What aren't you understanding? The only back work you're getting is really your upper back keeping you upright

the angle only changes a lot if your core is weak or the weight is too heavy, you'll fall forward and have to drop the weight

honestly anyone who has front squatted can tell that your core is the limiting factor

>The only back work you're getting is really your upper back keeping you upright

And that's very significant as it turns out

So in the lowbar squat the back is more horizontal which puts a lot more load on it? And then you argue that the high bar squat is weaker because the back is the limiting factor. Makes sense.

Do the variation that feels better. The differences are negligable for a non competitive human.

you can still do the sit-back style (i.e. lowbar) with a highbar position, but you stop at parallel.

candito calls it hybrid squat: youtube.com/watch?v=qu6-KiPL89c

i like it more than the two standard variations

Considering that's the weakest part of your back, it's not nearly as significant as you think. Which is why the core takes a beating during the front squat

low bar works glutes and hamstrings more

high bar works quads and core more

Highbar squat is superior and can target hammies and glutes well also... if you can hit ass to grass, which a lot of people are not patient to build the mobility for.

High bar for sure.

There's this manlet "powerlifter" at my gym who apparently "squatted" 425lbs in competition (with wraps and belt no doubt) but when I convinced him to try a real squat (high bar atg with controlled descent) with 315 he got fucking pinned like a faggot weakling

this was the advice i searched for months
thanks

This is great advice. Stuck to high bar because muh aesthetics and it always felt shitty (weird proportions, long af torso) and as soon as i switched to low bar it felt so natural.

This really made me think

Did everyone clap for you after?

Yeah dude, I had some guy who could deadlift 6pl8 conventional try real snatch grip and he could barely get lmao3.5pl8

Yeah dude i saw some "powerlifter" in my gym benching 4pl8 with WRIST WRAPS can you believe it?
I dared him to come to my bench and bench the 2pl8 i had on there (i lift RAW)
without his pussy wraps but he chickened out lmao what a weak faggot.

Yeah dude, saw some "POWERLIFTER" in my gym overhead pressing 3 plate (in the squat rack as well) with a belt on.....
I challenged him to try the 40kg I was pressing RAW and he said it 'wasn't worth his time wtf'
Haha, pussy powerlifters cant lift anything without relying completely on their wraps and belts...

I see I triggered some manlets. Jokes on you I'm way stronger than all of you hahahaha

I started on low bar for dat ass and never looked back
>no homo

Jokes on you, im 6'1" and probably still lift more than you do

>thinks the difference between 425 lowbar and 315 high bar is akin to: 3pl8 equipped and 40kg raw ohp, 4pl8 equipped and 2pl8 raw bench, or 6pl8 dead and 3.5pl8 snatch dead

Yeah, you're dyel kid

Post your lifts then big boi.
Your stor is made up i only squat lowbar my max is 450 and i can still comfortably squat 385 highbar without a belt, would have no problems hitting 405 in few weeks if i started training it.
Your story is made up.

Says the guy who judged someone's high bar squat on a first attempt instead of giving them at least a week to feel out the form change.