How old is too old to start training for the Olympics?

How old is too old to start training for the Olympics?

I'm 18, have been swimming all my life and intermittently swimming competitively for the last 4 years. Since 17 I've been very focused on my sport, and have been achieving new PBs (current 50m free PB is 20 seconds) consistently for the last year.

I want to know, if anybody can tell me, if it would be unrealistic for me to at least qualify for the 2020 Olympics.

I currently have no coach, and train on my own in the local pool. I do in-pool training of about 4-5km a day every other day, and then do weights and resistance training on the off days.
Usually consume about 5000-6000 calories a day if I can.

Would I be wrong in thinking I could make it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C61CJR98ehA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you were genetically gifted enough to be an Olympia competitor, I can guarantee you that you'd already know it by now

25 and above

Just find a meme "sport" like golf

I tell you as somebody who trained as a kid to play professional tennis.
You can't just wing it in sports man. If you don't have money for the best coaching and aren't a genetic freak idc how good you think you're
its too late. you could maybe become a coach
but olympics nah
good luck tho

I disagree with that. I've had very little exposure with anybody that would realistically recognize any Olympic potential, plus I've only properly started training in the last year - so I haven't had the ability to explore any genetic potential until now anyway.

That's reassuring, thanks user.

>consistently dedicated to swimming
>gives a time only to the nearest second

this doesn't seem like a realistic post to me. especially since the world record in 50m free is a 20.91, you e-statting faggot. 20.26 if you count short course.

get the fuck out of here.

You're probably right, I'm just going to preserve and see how far I can get.

At the end of the day I do my sport because I love it, not because I want to be an olympian.

I'd think they were picked and trained daily from childhood. As in, their whole life would revolve around it.

That being said, try your hardest anyway, who knows.

If you are lucky and live in a shithole you don't even need to be talented to go, just get the welfare spots. Vid related:
youtube.com/watch?v=C61CJR98ehA

this

if you were world class in any sport you'd know by high school

Might've overstated, I don't have a stopwatch so I record my time by a standard clock. I'm no slower than 23 seconds though.

As I said, I've not consistently dedicated myself - I've only started properly in the last year.

>current PB 50m is 20sec
this is where i knew its trolling
WR is 20.91 btw

Read
I overstated, question still stands though.

but 3 seconds is a fucking WORLD of difference in a 50m. If you're at 23 seconds, you don't have a chance. If you're recording by a standard clock, you also are probably retarded. Are you sure you're even in a meter pool, or is it a yard pool? Is it long course or short course?

I'm 23. Can I start weightliting now and make the olympics in 2020?

I'm aware of that, I'm also aware that I'm not going to be hitting WR times in a training scenario 4 years away from competing in any event. I'm recording by a standard clock because I don't have a stopwatch, and I also do all my training alone so I have nobody to take times for me - I'm still incredibly amateur. It's a 25 meter pool, so short course.

jus beleev in ur slef :)

trying to save the low trolling attempt 1/10 for making me reply

You can't just sign up for the olympics. You have to qualify by winning either a national or continental/world championship.

Work on getting on the US national team first, but I'm afraid you're facing some tough competition since no body beats America in sending-athletes-to-the-olympics-game

How the fuck do you overstate your 50 free by so much

Not having a stopwatch is no excuse, 50 free time is like the first time that comes to mind if you've swam competitively. Any trial for going to regionals/provincials/nationals you are gonna have someone telling you your time

Stop trolling

>t. former varsity swimmer

I'm UK, thanks though.
Alright user

>idk how good you think you're
Idc* you* are*
L2 English

Still. The UK already sends a LOT of athletes to the olympics, which means its harder for someone like you, however good and talented you may or may not be, to get in.

Because I don't have a properly accurate time, because I use a clock, not a stopwatch.

I'm not trying to troll, I just wanted to get some information or advice on what level I would need to be at.

Yeah, I'm just going to give it my all and see where I end up.

>How old is too old to start training for the Olympics?

Probably around 15-16 unless it's some meme sport like fencing.

Good for you. You may not get to the Olympics but I don't see anything from keeping you from maybe winning some national competitions and maybe even European championships.

Maybe, though.

If you can swim faster than the Australians, then you are good

being mad someone who actually is swimming in RL sees through your charade
>yfw

Thanks man.
Nice post user, I'm sure all the ladies are gagging for your e-cock right now

Ray mercer started boxing at 24 and won a gold medal when he was like 27 or 28.
Might as well try, you should start by swimming on a college team or sumthn

what about climbing? nobody has really been taking it seriously as a sport but it just got made an olympic sport.

>e-cock

nice talk mr. 20sec.
I'll let you know my cock is 35cm (might be overstating a little)

Boxing is vastly different than a performance sport like swimming however you can't really quantify a boxer performance.
>Swimming competitively
What's you're time then ? How far have you gotten in your regional or national competition ?

Do you work in Wendy's?

>he thinks he's the Veeky Forums tough guy

To see whether you stand a chance why not try the following. Grab a list of statistics for competitive (USA competitions) swimming. Use excel to create a histogram of 50m times. The shape should look like a bell curve: on the horizontal axis there will be time in seconds, on the vertical axis is number of swimmers with that time. Have a look at where 23s sits, and compare it to the far right side of the bell curve: that will be where the olympic champions are.

Then start measuring your time accurately. If you eventually end up in the same standard deviation as the champions you have a chance. Otherwise, probably not.

The other thing you need to keep in mind about olympic sports is rampant steroid/PED use in the top 1% or whatever of competitors. That's why I will never encourage my sons to pursue athletic careers, in most cases you have to dope to have a chance of success.

Why don't you join a swim club? I have no idea about swimming but i am sure something like this exists and if you actually had potential it would get recognized or you could at least time your 50 m correctly. Also if you are "close" to olympic times remember that you also have to get on the juice so your times will improve even more. I would at least get my times right and then look at it again. It's not like you have anything to lose.

dude his time 20s on 50m, can't you read?

i made a Veeky Forums account just to tell you that you're a fucking retard.

errr, what's your competitive record?

Just came here because someone was talking about boxing.
After reading the thread, seems OP is just a buffoon and full on damage control, or is the thickest stubborn imbecile to ever have swam the earth

I know, it hurts when someone points out how pathetic you really are.

keep dreaming kiddo, you'll make it for sure

just googled "buffoon" since I didn't knew that word.
>mfw correct discription for OP

I mean we could at least continue talking about boxing

So this guy is 6ft3 and 86kg

Apprently they keep athletes above 12% bodyfat for optimal performance

I am 6ft1 83kg and 10.4% bodyfat (tested in a bod pod) and i look like shit

This guy actually has fairly big legs too

reeeeee genetics

Anyway my point is do you have naturally big shoulders and chest OP if you don't your not going to make it

tested in a bullshit pod, you're fat, don't sugar coat it.

There's a swimmer called Kosuko Hagino, he's 5'9 or 5'10, yet he is a really fast 200m Free swimmer competing at the Olympics.
So i would say it's possible to be successful even if you have a genetic disadvantage. However, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to be that fast in 50m Free because his arm reach simply isn't long enough on such a short distance. On longer distance he can even out through a perfect technique.

What year was this? Nowadays sports are so competitive you literally need to be trained from a very young age

Yes because Air displacement plethysmography is bullshit.

Do you believe in god too pajeet ?

To stay on topic
>Sergio Martinez started boxing at 20
Granted he was an athlete before that ,but it surprised the shit out of me. He did went to fame during a low in L-middleweight (and all around boxing) but it's still a feat on its own.
That's not nearly as true for fighting sports as it is for gymnastics and all.

Thanks lads, I'll keep this stuff in mind

50m in 23 seconds? i wouldn't really know but seems fast (i clock 45 lol).
speak with an experienced coach and let him evaluate you.
(maybe he'll put you under a proper regime -afaik swimmers at that level train twice a day- for some time, to see where you can get your time).
JUST DO IT, so you don't have regrets later in life.

Who gives a literal fuck about the Olympics?

Why should I care if some faggot I never met in my country is good at pole vaulting? Who gives a shit? 90% of the sports are gay as fuck or stupid as fuck.

OP, for every moment of your life that you're wasting on Veeky Forums, there's less hope for you ever accomplishing much of anything.

How tall are you OP? If manlet, you will inevitably lose to equally trained taller people.

WAT

>I record my time by a standard clock
This is a ridiculously inaccurate means of measurement. Get a stopwatch and ask someone to time you, there must be someone you can ask. If you have no friends or family find someone who looks like they're good at swimming at the pool and ask them

My sport is fencing. I started when I was young and in the club I went to, it was expected that I was to compete and gain rank until I could go to the junior Olympics, then join the running for the Olympic team when I got too old for JO's. We had the best coaches (for epee) in the country. Plenty of former Olympians practiced there. It was a breeding ground for Olympic athletes.

I had to stop right before I entered high school. For me, the limiting factor was money. I was skilled enough that they encouraged me to keep fencing, but we couldn't afford it. New gear was expensive, private lessons, membership fees, hotels (competitions were never nearby), entry fees. Too much.

Wish I'd stuck with it though. When I started fencing collegiately I ended up being third in my division, even though I hadn't touched a blade in five years. Maybe I could have been an Olympian?

As far as your question, if you're really good, you have to put yourself out there to be recognized. Go to competitions, win competitions. Get recognized. Contact coaches and clubs help you grow as an athlete. Be prepared to spend money. Be prepared to dedicate your life to your sport for five years minimum.

It sounds like a dumb cliche, but if you believe you're the best and you strive to be the best in an honest effort, you can do it. Genetics help, sure, but they're only a piece of the advantage. And that advantage is primarily a thing at ultra high levels of play.

It's called nationalism you leftist fuccboi

Sexy Sergio was a freak athlete and had an unorthodox style...also he was in the wilderness for most of his career

Heavyweights have the best luck with turning pro late, especially now when you just have to be a big lump with a jab. Lucas Browne turned pro in his 30s and won a minor belt.

6'3"
Just got a trial at the local swim team, going there tomorrow night. I'm gonna make it lads.

>I currently have no coach

This is your biggest problem

>man from Veeky Forums starts training and competes in olympic games due to inspiring posts posted on shoe afficionado reply board

lol no

>the websites I browse directly affect my physical and mental ability outside the Internet

Retard

Heres some advice: look at the times for the average swimmer your age and see how you compare. If you're above average in any significant way I'd say go for it. But if you're at or below average then I'd say you're screwed, the best time to start training for sport is 14 so you're already fighting uphill. You'll make some sweet athletic gains, so I'd still say do it, but if you're not at a high level rn I doubt you get to the Olympics.

Sorry mate then, Olympic swimmers are taller than you on average (roughly 2 inches more give or take).

You can still compete in less "popular" swims like backstroke, breaststroke, or butterfly (swimmers in these are on average more your height). Or in really long races like the 1500m free swim, the 800m and the 400m (a bit pushing it)

But for the 100m free swim, the 50m and the sprint. You are really starting with a huge disadvantage. To put it lightly, for each movement you make, a taller person will surpass you by you height differential.

Also, you really need the right morphology. Do you have huge hands, a very large chest, etc? Unfortunately for you seeing as you are trying to start late, swiming when you are still growing will help develop these kind of features, so if you don't have them, well tough luck.

In any case, go for it man. I was kind of in your situation, (6'5" though) swimming was "my" sport when I was a kid. Did competitions (region level in France) and everything. But I chose to study hard instead (engineering). And I didn't have much of a chance as I have thin skelly genetics (long but not very wide hands etc). I still swim 3 times a week, but without competition it's not the same...

is his face photoshop?

>fencing
dafuk is fencing

>5000-6000 calories a day
hope they are not grains

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that out. I probably don't stand a chance at the Olympics, but I'm going to work at it and see where I end up anyway.
That's true about the height, however isn't Ian Thorpe 6'4"? I think that genetically I'm suited to it, and I've been swimming consistently since I was very young - so I've grown up doing it.

Anyway, as I said, I'll stick at it and see what happens.

Thanks both for the advice though, you're both helpful.

35 is probably the absolute limit for you to compete at the Olympic level as a swimmer.

Swimming is not a power or endurance sport, it's a technique sport. Spend a few hours practicing technique every morning and evening for the next few years.

Didn't mean to tag the post twice
Mainly a lot of chicken and rice, so not many grains

A 20s 50m free is .92 seconds faster than the current men's world record.

You are full of shit.

23 seconds is still faster than anyone in your age group in the US for the 2015-2016 season.

I.e. you're still obviously full of shit.

Don't worry about your height too much. Like this guy pointed out height is an advantage in short freestyle distances (50m and 100m) but less so in the other events and the longer distances. Remember that Kosuke Kitajima won four olympic gold medals in breaststroke and he was only 5'10"

Golf is already being taken over by chinese who been training since childhood.

>chicken
nayss. but do eat red meat too. get those creatine in your blood

>and rice
nah. you want continues energy. drop the high gi shit. eat fat and protein. actually a different point, grains cover your body and give you a clothing in a sense, which holds the muscle but also makes you slow. makes your body hold the fat above your skin. this can be a tricky subject. gotta decide yourself. it can be helpful or bad for u. maybe cover your body with grains but dont use fat and proteins for energy? idk. tricky. careful about not fuckin ur metabolism and gettin fat if u drop the swimming tho. grains are bad but might be helpful in situations.. idk

Whatever you say user :^)
I'll keep that in mind, thanks man.
Thanks for the reassurance, I am aiming for the shorter distances, but I can obviously switch if my height does become an issue

fuckin asians ruinin everything with their cold war children factory army every damn time

>meme "sport"
order incoming

dart
golf
bowling
chess
gaming
bird watching
tracking
hunting
walking
power walking
crossfit
the one that they clean the upcoming stone on ice
i still cant believe how thats even a thing

kys you don't deserve to life

if you were good enough for the olympics you would already be in national training programs.

>he rages like an autist over the Internet because OP is too poor for a stopwatch

>the one that they clean the upcoming stone on ice
It's called curling and it's like a game of bowling and darts combined on ice

u mean a combination of two best sports in the world?

woaaahhh..!

if OP is that poor he better go and earns some money instead of telling lies on the internet.

Nigger dick flavoured pudding!!!

Maybe he earns money telling lies on the Internet

is olympic training as pretentious as peoples thought on getting Veeky Forums? like for weightlifting you just have to lift a number, racing you just have to be fast, is there a hidden meme behind training for the olympics

you don't just up and one day decide to "train for the olympics". all of these guys have been doing it since they were young, competing constantly and going through the national system of their respective sports.

Swimming used to not be that popular before guys like Phelps. With an increase in popularity comes an increase in difficulty. And every little advantage is amplified by a lot. Asafa Powell had the record for the sprint for a long time before getting wrecked by Usain Bolt. Everybody thought at the time that we basically had reached the best possible time (Powell ran with perfect conditions (wind in his back etc)). What does usain bolt have over Powell? about 20cm.

Sports were there is cash to be made (not like pole vaulting) leave no place for error. Phelps fucking shaves the back of his head to have less drag in the water and gain fractions of a millisecond on his time. If chopping his balls off had a significant effect on his time he'd fucking do it.

I'm really trying not to discourage you, you seem very motivated and if your stats are true, you really have a shot if you are willing to put in the work, but the sport has changed man. Height is very much a factor now. There is literally an arms race in every sport where there is sponsor/advertising bucks. You don't swim a 1500m the same way that you swim a 50m. OP you should focus right away on the swims you want to swim. Unless you have super human frog like genetics, focusing directly on the swims you want to do is key is all I'm saying.

look at beach volleyball, you can train for 1 year and compete at an olympic level if your tall

if he can't aford a stopwatch it seems like he's quite bad at it.
which is also proven by his 20seconds or even the 23sec which are obvious bullshit.

Conclusion OP (you) is a cringe worthy basement dwelling faggot

Appreciate the information. I don't expect to reach the Olympics, but I'm motivated to achieve as high as I can, and it might be my height that holds me back ultimately.

I guess the only way to tell is to just go for it and see what happens.

Literally every modern cell phone has a built-in stopwatch

I'm not gonna bring my phone to the pool
I'm going to buy a stopwatch and record my time just to prove you wrong

Youre a loser

>20 point 50
Wew lad. That's good, but you're too old. There is always somebody who started younger and trained harder.
But at least you can swim fooken fast
>tfw 24.2 50 free
At least i have a 7:00 500 CSS I guess