How to into networking?

So next week there is a networking event organized by my university.

Representatives from the big 4 will be there.

I have never done any networking of this kind.

I am not particularly shy, but I am a little socially awkward, e.g not the best person in small talking (or rather I do not care for - but I can pull it off).

How would an user approach this situation? I am worried that I will end up there and not establish substantial contact with anybody because I am not the most extroverted person in the world.

80% of my class mates are full blown extroverted normies who will have no issues talking shit and licking ass in the event - I my self am not the most sociable type yet I do believe that skill and cognition wise I am top of the line.

Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

mainerepublicemailalert.com/2017/06/24/238-arrested-in-major-hollywood-pedophile-ring-bust/
listverse.com/2017/02/26/10-disturbing-stories-about-hollywoods-pedophile-problem/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Found the Cougar

thanks for the tip bruh

Just go up and say hi. It's a networking event so you want to be memorable so they can match a name to a face when you send them an email down the line for a coffee chat or something. Ask unorthodox questions like what is the worst thing about their job.

aight

and fake it. If your classmates are extroverted normies then emulate that for a night. Smile, have a firm handshake. Like said getting coffee with them down the line is where you can really make an impression.

What field you looking to get into?

I work in cybersecurity at one of the big 4, they appreciate it if you show genuine enthusiasm and ask non-retarded questions.

In my experience these events are pretty pointless and the representatives are just there to get a day off work.

To really network you need to meet these people through accounting clubs, or events at campus, or a professor referral, and THEN bump into them again at these events.

I mean going is better than not going obviously but don't get your hopes up you should be joining clubs and applying for internships and networking that way, just going to these things and expecting to land a job isn't going to work out. Especially in accounting it's a pretty shitty and over saturated field these days. In fact if you are a sophmore of younger consider switching majors.

t. accountant graduate in 2013 that was fucked until he lucked into a government accounting position probably would have killed myself if not desu

It's more than just making an impression at networking events. You need to also follow up with that shit. Ask for their contacts email or whatever and literally try to suck their dick, make them like you enough that you leave a lasting impression.

i guess thats the 'best' shot

tax

Yeah I'm not expecting anything special - but I just want to maximize the benefit I can possibly get from this event..

I'm 24 with a LLB and doing a LLM in international taxation - basically most people who graduate from my uni land a job instantly at the big 4 (all my professors and teaching staff works in one of them too) - but yeah I dont wanna be one of those who 'didnt make it' and sudoku'd

I only go to networking events to make people aware of my businesses.

Wage cucks are going to get fucked in 5 to 10 years when automation replaces more than 50% jobs.

good for you man

There's a pretty holistic book on this I think it was called "How to Work the Room". Although a lot of the advice was stuff I already knew or was rather self evident I'd recommend it because it gives you little practical advice on the technical stuff like, how to politely exit a conversation. What questions to ask, always have 3-5 interesting news stories in mind, always have an objective when you go to an event, chat with people in the last 4 rows of an event.

The main piece of advice it gives is "if there isn't a host, take on the hosting role yourself".

However if you're not from the United States don't take the book as gospel.

>You need to also follow up with that shit.
I once tried to chase a film director, just for advice, not even a job or anything.

I called him once a week for a month, he kept saying he was too busy and finally he took me out for coffee and gave me a series of red pills about the industry.

He also said to me
>You're the first person to actually persist and keep ringing

I was lucky though, he was a genuinely nice guy, but the point is: follow up.

What were the red pills?

I will definitely have a look, although I'm not from U.S.

I guess making a plan about what to talk about to professionals is a good thing - I feel like I need to write a script on say there.

Thanks.

This was many many years ago, so I don't remember much, and to my young, High School graduate self it was all fresh and had the extra authority of coming from an established filmmaker.

In my country, films are made and not expected to make a profit - which sounds insane, but the industry is so dismal that I think just to get a project up is a miracle. And it makes sense, as a producer just by getting a film funded you can pay yourself a salary - although you'll never see a cent of back end.

The most important thing was he explained how to write a good high concept and why it was so important. The perfect marriage of theme, framing, and dramatic set up. And he gave me really good examples.

He started out working on sketch shows, which he said was the perfect training ground because he was directing all these different sketches in one day. Different styles, reminds me kind of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones being session musicians before Led Zepplein

I really can't remember.

Thanks, I thought you were in the US, in Hollywood the female actors are basically fucktoys for the producers.

Big 4 recruiting is easy. You have to have a pulse, and know how to talk about social things. Chances are if the big 4 is recruiting at your school, you have college sports. Know about them and be able to talk about them. Don't bring up scandals with the firm recruiting you. Otherwise just seem interested and talk about the job, why you're interested in it.

Did 3 years recruiting at big 4, ask me anything.

>I feel like I need to write a script on say there.
The only "script" you need is what you "do" or what you "offer".

I forgot which sales book it was, might have been "Same Side Selling". But they said you don't say:

>yeah I'm a graphic designer
you say
>I try and translate ideas and customer's goals visually to the widest audience possible

You don't say
>Yeah I'm an economist
you say
>I predict the way markets will be moved by sentiments and world events

Well, you say it in a less awkward, more interesting manner than my greentext. But you get the point - explain what you "do" not your title or skills.

How do you sort the good from the bad?

GPA is first hard filter. 3.2 is a pretty solid line unless you have some great stories like D1 sports.

Then after that it's the airport test. If you were to get stranded at an airport with this person for 5 hours, would you be able to deal with it? Menial conversation skills go a long way. If there is alcohol involved in your recruitment, how does this person handle it? I know I had multiple delays/layovers of 3+ hours and I just sat at the bars with my peers and had a great time regardless of the situation.

If you're just standing there not offering anything to the conversation that's not going to leave a great impression. But at the same time if on person is domineering conversations and not letting other people get in, that's bad too. Big 4 is literally can you have a conversation like a normal person and not be a complete pain in the ass to be around. If the big 4 is recruiting at your school, 90% of the hard part is already handled for you.

I think that's a bit exaggerated, yes with Harvey Weinstein it was true because he had so much power and controlled the chequebook. But there aren't many of those who actually have the power to give a actress a job based on a handy or a blowy.

On the other hand you have to remember most guys in the film industry are social betas. They weren't out going to parties, learning about the people, gaining studies for the character portraits of their narratives - they were going to films, seeing someone else's image of reality which is probably a copy of a copy of a copy.
So I dunno... maybe they are all really rapey in a beta way?

Fuck, I already failed the first filter. I'm a DIII swimmer close to making national cuts, though. I'm actually a finance major but I assume recruiters have a similar baseline.

mainerepublicemailalert.com/2017/06/24/238-arrested-in-major-hollywood-pedophile-ring-bust/
listverse.com/2017/02/26/10-disturbing-stories-about-hollywoods-pedophile-problem/

A listicle... a fucking listicle!? Come user, don't insult both of us.

It's hard enough as it is trying to find something that uncovers the hollywood kikes as the pedophiles they are.

>I am not particularly shy, but I am a little socially awkward, e.g not the best person in small talking (or rather I do not care for - but I can pull it off).

This sums up Veeky Forums, or at least me
I cantalk for hours if I like the coversation, I do not care for small talk, 100% or 0

THEY JUST OUTTED HARVEY WEINSTEIN. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?
Or do you need to have every paranoid fantasy confirmed, even if it comes from the shittiest of clickbait sources, like do you really need to go to a non-sourced publication whose only motive is a quick buck to confirm your believe that all the Jews are keeping us down to make a quick buck?

Why are you yelling? It's well known that kikes are a menace to society.