For those who have been/are at a very high weight, how did you let yourself get to that point...

For those who have been/are at a very high weight, how did you let yourself get to that point? Were you unaware of how bad you looked/how much you weighed, or did you simply not care?

I don't think you understand man, it's not a lack of will or anything. Certain things and bad things can negatively impact someone's life. My mom had a stroke and I was a total wreck when it happened. My only comfort was food at that time. Luckily she's better now and I only gained about 3/4% bf but I can understand why some people binge eat when their lives are so shitty.

Lets be honest, depending on the age things can go to shit when your confused about everything in life. Add to that fact, parenting and such, it gets much worse. Without good things/people/influences around you, things can creep slowly and it adds up.

OK, but how did you view your own body in that period?

I got depressed when I was around 17-18, and it lasted til I was around21.

I was fairly late to puberty, and other boys made fun of me because it.

>dat small dick

I looked young for my age (still do), and I had no shot with girls my age. I attracted 13-14 year olds when I was 18, and that was a no-go.

I had been into sports all my life, but suddenly I stopped. I isolated myself more and more, and sat at the computer all day eating junk food.

My room was a mess. old food everywhere, and clothes all over the floor. I moved out to live alone when I was 16 and I could live like this without anybody knowing. I became a shadow of my former self.

THose were the worst years of my life.

Now I'm 25 and life is great. I'm fit as fuck, and look like I'm 20 (which is great).

I fuck girls 18-25 regularly, but didn't lose my V-card until I was 24. It was to a really hot girl, so It was so fucking worth it!

>we're all gonna make it

>OK, but how did you view your own body in that period?
Mind you I was around 13% at that time so I only ended up getting to about 17% although in all fairness I didn't really care, had bigger worries on my mind.

The question was for very overweight people. A bit of binge eating for normal-sized people isn't totally inane.

>loser making bullshit excuses

you fucked up your body.

you.

My face is 10/10, and i only have a mirror in the bathroom. So, basically, I didn't actually realise how fat I was.
Also, I have always enjoyed not going out, and I didn't mind not getting chicks, so I wouldn't do the effort to get thin
But honestly, the biggest deal for me was the lack of fat people hate. If my friends had bullied me into getting fit I could have done it years ago, at least that is my opinion
Please, if you have fat friends, help them

I was overweight from 6th grade to 11th grade. At this point, I'm not exactly fit. Im still overweight, but muscle contributes to my weight and it's not just pure fat. The reason I gained so much weight is because I ate alot as a kid so it became a habit to eat alot. Aside from that, I had no friends until high school so I stayed indoors most my life and had no physical activity at all.

>My face is 10/10,
i wanna see this fat person with a 10/10 face

Alcoholism. I was drinking 12 or more beers everyday for 5 years

I have no idea how you can get fat just from eating food

>all these people talking about how they actually get fat
>nobody explaining why they were ok with their fatness

this shit makes no sense

>eating food because you feel bad

lol wtf that's when you do drugs and get drunk everyday not fucking eat like a pig

But I feel like I understand how someone can potentially get to that size if their lives are shitty. I obviously don't condone being overweight but constantly harassing and berating them when you don't know what's actually going on in their lives is just cruel and unnecessary. But you guys clearly don't have anything better going on in your lives obviously.

I didn't realize my fatness, and like user from up above said, fat hate would've helped us all out.

Just because you had a traumatic event doesn't make it reasonable that you would allow yourself to become obese over it. It's still irrational and still requires some intervention.

I'm this guy and I didn't notice because I was drunk all the time, as soon as I quit drinking I realized I was chubby and started eating right and lost then weight in 2 months. I honestly don't get how fat people can exist unless they're alcoholics

>12 + beer a day

No shit you gained weight that's like 1500 calories a day on top of your food intake

I was never ok with how fat I was. I was disgusted with myself. I kept no photos of myself, avoided mirrors, the whole 9 yards. The only reason I ate so much was that it kept me from killing myself for a few more hours.

One day I just snapped. Lost 85lbs so far, 20 more to go. Thanks Veeky Forums

Bored eating and drinking soda. I just had shoulder surgery so I shot up in weight from 190 to 250 in like 6 months. I started to fix my diet at the end when I realized how fat I got

Jesus christ how could you not notice that weight gain and realize youre turning into a whale? As soon as I noticed belly fat I freaked out and dieted

I was but a child, coping with stress.

Excess fat literally fucks with your brain. I knew I looked horrible, and felt horrible about it. I diddnt REALLY see how fat I was though even though I knew I was fat. I was also angry and hateful toward others, as if it was their fault and not mine. I tried to rationalize it by saying things like "Clothes just arent made for normal sized people anymore, theyre catered for all the short thin people". My depression and anxiety and adhd were all affected greatly by the fat. I tried to rationalize it by thinking Im not that bad. I wanted to be attractive, but diddnt want to put in the effort to make it so. I cant fully explain it, but for some reason I just could not get myself into the mindset of I need to change, I need to diet, I need to take control and lose this weight. This is not acceptable and its MY fault. I got fat because I had no friends, was not active, and made VERY poor choices with my diet. If I could go back with all that I have learned now I would in a fucking heartbeat.

Eventually I did get my shit together.

Now even though I lost 40 pounds, when I look in the mirror I still see what I was when I started, even though I know Im smaller (still a fat fuck though). Really frustrating having lost that much and STILL be fat, but I know I just have to keep going. I feel like Ive utterly destroyed my body though. Stretch marks galore, loose skin in my tits. Im never gonna have the body I want even when I reach my goal weight which really sucks, but my BP and resting heart rate are going down, and I do feel much better mentally and physically, and even feel somewhat attractive now but only when Im wearing clothes.

I didn't notice because I was a depressed sack of shit. When I realised what a fat fuck I'd become I rapidly lost the weight

>finding joy in eating food

???

>No life
>No girlfriend
>Live with parents
>Basically a worthless piece of shit
>Accept it and just give up and stop caring'
>completely let myself go
>Become satisfied with status quo
>Comfort Food
>Boredom Food
>Habit Food
>'Uhmmomahgawd its so delishiciousness slurp slurp' Food
>Smoking weed every day didn't help

Been sober and steadily losing weight for a month. Feels good man. Can almost see upper abs again.

Everything else is the same tho. Making /fit my new life mission makes me feel better.

Didn't care, loved eating. My boyfriend did not point it out to me until I gained 20lbs. I still love eating but I restrain myself and eat healthier foods that make me feel satisfied longer. I've lost 30lbs and am looking to lose 20 more, then gain 10-15lbs of lean muscle mass.

At my highest I was 169lbs, I am now 139lbs. I'm 5'6.

I just couldn't say no to food. i would have brutal cravings that just didn't let up until i gorged. Just constant bitter battles in my mind all day long, and the second i gave in and ate something small, i would just go "fuck it, diet ruined" and start to eat like crazy. When i first started losing weight, i would be good for a couple days then inevitably my parents would cook something super delicious and keep leftovers in the fridge. My mind would be fixated on those leftovers all day long until i gave in to the cravings and this would lead to another downward spiral of desperate eating. I was also really aware of how i looked and was fucked up about it. I would do shit like wear sweaters all the time in a vain attempt to hide it.

I honestly didnt give a fuck. It was when I couldnt fit in most of my clothes when I started to work out. I was a real lazy sack of shit at the time

this

I think some other anons said it but depression did it for me. Had a few years of guilt and grieving over my mom dying of something that was completely preventable, became and shut in and just stopped thinking about it.

I was aware, but figured it was too hard and I had also drank some of the tumblr kool-aid at the time so I felt I didn't have to change, but accept that it was who I was.

Denial mostly. My city has an extremely high rate of obesity. So it was pretty easy to delude myself into thinking I wasn't THAT fat when constantly surrounded by whales.

Don't speak for other people. I got massively obese for the same reasons. But none of this "you don't know what they've been through!" or understanding has done jack shit except enable it.

It is one thing to berate those who are legitimately trying and making progress, something I hardly ever see Veeky Forums do, and berating those who are so delusional in their downfall.

A mix of a shitty job, shitty girlfriend, shitty home life (mother and grandfather dying to cancer), and friends. I was well aware and am still aware of my condition and how I look, but I've been making steady progress towards my goals. It gets rather challenging at times when you hang out with all your friends and they want to go out to sushi, or order pizza or what have you. Yesterday, they ordered pizza, bought two tubs of ice cream, chips, beer, and soda. I ended up eating salad with some rotiserre chicken on it because I refuse to give in and end up where I was once again.

My parents cooked shitty food (or got fast food), saw weight gain and overeating as masculine and encouraged it, made fun of healthy lifestyles (lol they're so obsessive) and never acknowledged weight as an issue as a way to avoid negative feelings

I'm and like I said, tumblr delusion. It's really easy for some to fall into that pit when they feel their lives are just pure misery and don't understand why.

Once I got out of it, I realized I looked fucking awful and hated it. And after a while I actually gave the sticky a read, and it all just clicked. It's not rocket science.

I think it was a combination of a lot of things.

Negativity/poor view of fitness by relatives to start. As a kid, I was pretty physically active, fairly thin. A distinct memory I have was of showing off a one armed pushup when I was 7 or 8 to some cousins. When I did it, they just laughed and said "No one cares about that, that's so stupid". No one in my immediate or even distant family was particularly strong or physically active.

Another part relating to that was lack of guidance/provided shitty food. Mother worked a lot, so most of the time we'd be left with frozen dinners/pizza or go out to eat somewhere.

Lastly, I probably convinced myself that it was genetic, or "not my fault". Shitty diet combined with lack of activity left me doughy, and then fat. At my heaviest I was 220 lbs at 5'11'' with no muscle mass. In gym, I was always the slowest. Picked last for any kinds of teams. Never encouraged to excel at anything, I was viewed as "that kid who we don't actually want playing with us but we need to include to be fair". This made me hate any kind of physical activity, and when I would need to do it (running or something) and end up last, I'd rationalize that "It's just my genetics, I just happen to be slower/weaker than everyone".

Because of this rationalization, I never viewed myself as being fat/needing to lose weight, although I think subconsciously I knew. I always wore baggy clothes, avoided taking my shirt off or changing around other people, and avoided cameras like the plague.

I'm definitely a lot more critical of my body and what I eat now, although I still have a long way to go.

>be me, 5 years ago
>played tennis, basketball, and did figure skating in my spare time (inb4 homo)
>won silver in a regional figure skating competition, played basketball for the school team (went to a private school so being on the team actually meant something), and reached the semi final of a regional tennis competition
>for some reason, after a practice tennis match, decide to jump the net
>catch my leg, land badly and wreck my left knee and ankle (possibly permanently)
>couldn't play sports any more, but still carry on eating as if I was playing sports regularly
>ballooned up like a motherfucker, not overnight but over the course of the next couple of years
>a few months ago, decide that enough is enough, finally realised how fat I'd actually gotten
>can't run, squat or deadlift, and I walk like a robot with haemorrhoids, but determined to get back to where I was before by the time I turn 22 (20 now)

And that's it, really. I honestly didn't see any difference when I looked in the mirror (besides my leg looking a little bit fucked up) because I tended to avoid mirrors anyway. I thought my loss of mobility was purely down to my leg, but it was also partly due to my gut (which is mostly gone now, but I know I've still got a long way left to go).

For some of us, when we start to notice we are getting fat or out of shape, we try to change immediately and usually give it our all. It's a mentality that probably helped us survive during the early human years.

I believe fatties lack this mentality. They see themselves getting fatter and more out of shape and they don't care or do mental gymnastics on why it's ok. It's a loser mentality and they are the type that would have been killed off immediately in the stone age. Unfortunately society has enabled these types of behaviors and fatties have flourished...but not for long I hope

I don't think you fully understand how many things some people have on their head to take. Sometimes the last thing you think about is what you eat - after a rather depressing day, food can be for some the only good time they have. And when this can go on for years - you find yourself fat and depressed. While I'm myself trying to lose weight, I'll always understand at least what the issue behind being fat is.

The whole other spectrum are fatasses who try to tell people that they feel good about themselves, that every body size is beautiful, and that they know how to lose weight. They're lying 99% of the time and I hate those people.

Poor diet, depression, loneliness, family eats a lot, parents eat a lot.

I weighed 240 at age 13. Honestly, I knew I was fat, but I didn't acknowledge it. Like, I was shy and shit, but I thought it was just my personality. Being fat was just my personality.

I ate large portions often, because why not? The food was right in front of my face and in huge amounts, so I ate it without thinking about my body.

I knew I was different, because I was fatter, but I didn't realize I was "different". I was just fat because that's what I was, I thought, and not because I ate a lot

Got out of the Army. Stopped exercising but kept drinking like I wanted to kill myself.

Hang around other fat alcoholics.

Figured it didn't really matter too much because I was getting laid more than I ever had before.

Hit middle age, sober up and look around.

Holy shit I'm a fat fuck. 5'10" 280lbs 44" pants 2XL shirts.

I guess I wasn't looking at myself enough. Like actually LOOKING at myself. I remember riding my bike, stopping at a traffic light, and seeing my profile in a shop window and thinking "how in the fuck?"

Eating like shit and drinking lots of beer did me no favors.

Another thing I will point out is that I was hanging around other self-destructive people. The sabotage is real, and I didn't see it for a long time because I was busy partying. I did a lot of damage not only to my body to also to my self control. Even after I started hanging around positive people I still had the bad habits and denial and laziness.

I'm working on it though. Currently losing weight and getting stronger.

>how did you let yourself get to that point?

>be chubby kid
>get bullied
>cope by eating more and staying inside to prevent being bullied
>rinse, repeat from age 12 to ~27.

I lost the weight, but I cannot forgive myself for living like that.

I have a very difficult time enjoying much of anything these days knowing how much of my life I wasted. I still can't go more than a few days without wishing the morbid obesity killed me.

This

Nobody should continue eating the same if they notice weight gain, when I noticed it I got scared and dieted because I never want to be the fat guy