What's the best way to progress on pull-ups? I wanna be able to to sets of 10 with no prob before I start adding weight...

What's the best way to progress on pull-ups? I wanna be able to to sets of 10 with no prob before I start adding weight. I can do 6 in a set now, but the last set is really taxing. Tips on how to progress the fastest?

Do multiple sets of roughly the same amount of reps. For example, I like to do four sets when I do pullups, using the following formula: (x, x-1, x-1, x-2)

So if you can do six in a row, that would be (6, 5, 5, 4). Try to add one every other time you do pullups, and do them at least twice a week. If you find that you can't complete all of your sets, dial it back one or two reps and work your way back up.

I like this. I'll try it out. Used to do pull ups plenty but have gotten lazy recently. Going to do them at the start of every upper workout now including arms.

I do ten every time I go to the bathroom or my room.

You're gonna have difficulty getting to like 3 sets of 10 without adding weight. Being able to do that much volume means that is isn't that "heavy" for you and you would have moved on to doing weighted ones.

i'll give that a shot. thanks

In opposition to everyone else's suggestions, I like to get as many total reps as possible within a set period of time. So something like 50 reps (mostly as triples, maybe with a few doubles near the end as I get tired) in seven minutes. Seems to work.

>weighted pull ups

Like ankle weights?

there are belts you can use to attach plates to yourself, or chains.

Put a dumbbell between your feet.
Anything else is a meme and a waste of money.
You can even use a plate if you need to.

Good advice on Veeky Forums, wow

Sounds like some crossfit faggotry

Currently doing 5 sets of 7, 5 times a week
next week ill do 5 of 8
ect

Started doing pullups a while ago with a goal of just doing as many as i can in a single rep, currently got to 15 and kinda stopped there, sometimes can squeeze and extra one, sometimes one less. Don't really know what to do next, i kinda have visible triceps now, so i guess it's working.

I'm doing sets of 3, adding 1 pull-up every 4 days. Started at 3,3,3 and now at 6,6,6 so I mean it's working for me so far

When I first started I could do 4 in a set, now I regularly do 3x10 and periodically add up to 15 pounds. I started by doing 3 sets 3xf. Didn't matter, I just tried to keep adding one more rep into one of the sets. Usually that looked like one more pull up every time I did back. If I couldn't add a rep then I would do a couple negatives and call it a day

What if your gym only has dumbbells to 100?

How many sets/reps of negatives should I be able to do before trying my first real pullup? Pls respond ;_;

nigga just go ahead and try one. you're not gonna die if you fail

>tfw doing negatives hanging from a door cause lmaoNopullupbar

I know but I get too austimo when ppl stare at me

find somewhere to do a pullup in private

I'd like some advice on this too. Currently I can't do any, and the gym I'm at doesn't have assisted pullups. (luckily the one back at my school does tho) Would the best way to train be lat pulldowns till bodyweight, then try pullups?

dude. you need to get over that real fast. otherwise you're not gonna make it in the gym. also nobody is gonna stare at you. and if it looks like they are, they are just looking at you and thinking about something else.

jump up and get to the very top, then lower yourself

then do it moar

If you have strong doorframes with molding that you can grip onto just use those instead. I started trying to do them on the doorframes for kicks one summer and later that year I could do multiple, hanging by my fingertips. Made my female roommates spill spaghetti when I bust out some doorframe reps before going to bed.

dont. its in your head. Most people dont give a fuck what youre doing unless its something retarded like crossfit

Recon Ron program.

Do you guys do just pull ups? No chin ups? Closer grip I mean.

I can do more chin ups than pull ups, I guess my bicep is stronger?

>not buying a rope + snap hook at an hardwere store for less than 5$ and using them to hold the dumbbell/plate
>Autistically holding a dumbbell (or a fucking plate) with your feet
ISHYGDDT

The wider the grip the less the biceps are working, generally speaking.
With me, when doing a closer grip I have to focus on pulling my elbows down to engage my back more, otherwise there's too much strain on my biceps

Google: recon Ron pull up program

Closer grip pull ups are easier for most people, that's why you can do more chin ups (yes, the biceps is doing more work that way).
Also underhand grip is easier than the overhand grip.

Street workout expert here
Do pyramid sets as 1-2-3-4-5...-your max-...-5-4-3-2-1 and add inverted rows (about 10-15) between pull ups.
Increse reps with time.

>Closer grip pull ups are easier for most people,
wider are easier,since there's much less rom and less stress on the forearms.
>that's why you can do more chin ups
you can do more chinups because an underhand grip puts the bicep in a mechanically advantageous position.

dont give advice if you dont know what you're talking about.

What's the point of doing more pull ups ?

Inject creatine

I'm finding it really hard to start my chin ups from a dead hang, if im anywhere less than hanging from the bar with arms completely straight i can pull myself up fine, but once i hang there with straight arms i cant do a single one
any ideas what im doing wrong/how to improve?

Something that helped me was just hanging for as long as i could tgen increase my reps
At 20x5 now

Do assisted until you can.

step back lmao

I upped my overall volume. Started off with an 8 rep max. Got a pull-up bar in my doorway, started doing 5 every time I passed through it, so about 50-60 total throughout the day. Within a month I was able to do 13 in a single set

add weight

>What's the point of doing more pull ups ?
street cred

Use a back pack broke nigga

Kek

I switched between pull-ups and chip-ups 5 days a week with 's formula at 3 sets. I would test my max reps after a rest day and managed to increase by 1 every week on average all the way up to 20.

The easiest way to reach easy sets of 10 is to start adding weight.

The only useful advice I got from here was to start doing weighted pullups and unweighted would tag along.

Ay I do this exact thing except x,x,x-2, x-2

>easier for most
Most people have underdeveloped lats in comparison to biceps

what would be a meaningful weight addition? my 1 set max reps is currently 15.

Should I do 4x5 at 20kg extra weight?

Then I guess you'd have to use a belt or possibly a sturdy backpack or a band/ bands and weights.

If you can buy a band or two, you could use them to assist your pullups.
Or a good bud.