Get genocided by Cromwell

>get genocided by Cromwell
>fail at growing the one crop you can grow and beg the Americans for gibs
>backstab your country in the biggest war it's been in since 1066
>still have retardedly high level of nationalistic pride
I don't get it. Has Ireland ever done anything worthwhile to justify this?

Catholicism binds the Irish together. The nationalism comes from Catholic resistance to Henry VIII and his WHORE ANNE BOLEYN AND THEIR BASTARD CHILD ELIZABETH I AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHH

hehe now i get it
life is beautiful

but the church absolutely fucked you guys up, aren't alot of you pissed at them?

>hurr why weren't the Irish good little slaves that backed the UK in the World War?!

>yeah let's try to screw over the scottish, english, canadians, indians, and welsh just cause we're buttmad that they killed a few thousand of us centuries ago that's totally honorable and justified

>be from an Irish family
>be British nationalist

Am I a traitor?

>be irish
>some potatoes go a bit green
>thousands die because you're too stupid to fish

Yes
Honestly the rising was more of a backstab to the other Irish fighting in WWI. Especially when they came home to be pariahs

>be Irish
>you used cows as a currency before rather than gold
>you love potato so much you stop farming cows
>potato gets blight because you put potato peelings on the compost heap
And people say they didn’t deserve it

Atleast they're Catholic

You've been LIMEYED

Why do *nglos get so buttmad over this little island?

We have the worst type of nationalism though, leftist cuck nationalism

> Backstab "our" country

Also the time of revenge is coming:

>Our cousins in Scotland finally break away.
>London becomes a break away Islamist "Republic" vassal of the Saudis.
>Then we strike and drive the abomination of Northern Ireland into the sea and liberate our island once and for all.

Everything is going according to plan. Then we watch as England falls to the sword of Islam. They'll cry out desperately for the forgiveness of their past atrocities. They'll promise us glory and reparations for saving them. We will look down at the streets filled with rape gangs and crime and see our former masters enslaved, begging for aid, and we shall whisper: "no."

There were famines happened all over Europe and hit Scotland particularly hard as well.

What made it so catastrophic in Ireland is that, unlike in Scotland, the land owners were mostly absentee and didn't share a culture or religion with their tenants.

They were much much slower to organize relief and continued to export food from Ireland through the famine.

Compounding matters, they exempted even owners of tiny plots from poor relief, forcing them to sell their lands to English Lords.

Eventually, public opinion did turn based on reports of the horrors and rich English owners realized they were ruining their holdings by allowing Ireland to plunge into an apocalyptic famine and disorder, but the damage was already done. Population plunged from 8.2-9 million to 4.5 million. It still hasn't recovered 160 years later.

>be Edward Bruce
>land 6000 Scots veterans of Bannockburn in Antrim
>try to unite Irish clans under one banner to finally drive out the Anglos
>Irish can't unite with their own fucking families, let alone other families
>still give it a good go. Take out de Burgh (yeah, actually the distant ancestor of the singing hobbit, Chris de Burgh) and some other powerful lords while being heavily outnumbered and lacking cavalry, but you can't overcome Europe's worst famine in memory and eventually fuck up

It's probably the most self destructive thing the Irish ever did. Bear in mind, the Gaelic world was still pretty homogeneous at this point - the Scots weren't 'foreigners'. 'Ireland' was just a series of petty kingdoms, all led by men who traced their descent to the same cunts the Scots did. In fact, many historians argue that the Scots effectively invented the modern concept of the nation state/nationalism at this point, so the Irish certainly didn't have the notion that they and the Scots were seperate nations - far from it.
The Scots came to free their cousins, but their cousins literally refused to sign up if certain other cousins were allowed to join.
Had they sorted their act out, there's actually a pretty good chance that Bruce could have kicked the Anglos out for good. Instead, English/Norman power continued to grow and the rest is Veeky Forums

Oh, and this period was literally the closest Ireland ever came to being an all-island, all Gaelic kingdom...

The Scots basically administrated British rule in Ireland, the Irish are so unbelievably cucked they're now suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

And yet we're the ones with our own nation state.

Irish per capita GDP: 62k, higher than the US and it's richest states

UK per capita GDP: 38k, lower than Mississippi

Headquarters to all the best companies too.

>Irish per capita GDP: 62k
>Headquarters to all the best companies
But that's not a good thing, our capita is so high yet people comparatively poor because all those headquarters pay literally nothing in tax.

they really don't. Theres nothing more humorous than watching a bogtrotter with his dander up go on and on about anglo irish history when we barely learn it at school cos we have so much national history to learn

and then you'll be swarmed by rape gangs and niggers. you really do benefit being on the other side of europe from us, and also having no jobs for them to fill. U sure hope you steal our corrupt and subversive banking industry tyrone i really do. Its comes with helpings of jews and niggers

The British stole from Ireland their most prized possession

Their style

Imagine going from this to wearing trousers and shirts like everyone else

This is actually the most retarded most I’ve seen on Veeky Forums.
>durr go fight and die for an empire that has been oppressing your people for centuries

>in doing so, potentially fuck over millions of Britons and other cultures who aren't nearly as dishonorable as you

yeah the GDP is because you allowed those 'best companies' to use you as a tax haven for their entire european operations while paying a pittance in tax.

in terms of money actually earned by irish manufacture or trade ireland has significantly less income per capita than the UK, as it has fuck all industry and no real cash crop in terms of produce

After Scotland went into the Union, sure. But that may never have happened...
Robert Bruce had realistic plans of uniting the Celtic people's against the English. If he'd been successful, history might have taken a completely different turn. There's been no point since when uniting the Celts has been any more than an Arthurian larp.
Incidentally, Edward I had some English clergy executed because they thought Bruce *was* the realisation of the Arthurian legend and were causing panic.
And the Irish haven't changed all that much. They have a nation state, but the island is still partitioned...and the politics of Ireland is still riven with corruption and cronyism. The Scotti tribe seem to have had a better grip on themselves, even before they fell under Anglo influence. They were at least able to muster something of a united front in times of national crisis - enough of a front to retain their independence. That's why they're a partner in the Union and weren't incorporated into England, like the Welsh. And they aren't partitioned, like the Irish.

The Scots and the Irish have always been good at fighting amongst themselves, respectively, but the Scotti have always been able to temper that with pragmatism and wisdom when necessary. They were/are the only Irish people to ever succeed in forming an independent colony, so maybe it's not that surprising.
Irish high culture also moved to Scotland in the late middle-ages. Important to note though, in the context of the times, it would be like England moving it's capital to York. The Scots *were* Irish, or rather, all Irish were known as "Scots". That impression only really died a death following the failure of Edward Bruce. The Gaelic nation was destined to take separate paths from that point on.

>Possibly fuck over the Britons

Good.

>literally genocided
>lol why u mad tho

Sort of like how the Chechans and Ukranians helped the Nazis.

It's almost as if somehow when you oppress a people, starve them, and try to eradicate their faith and culture they'll join your enemies instead of helping you. Shocking.

Is there some innate desire for attention that simultaneously makes one stupid?

>fuck over Britons
You mean the oppressors? Ya I’m sure the Irish gave a shit. Fucking idiot. It’s not really a betrayal when the Irish were forced into the Union.

bit rude, also national pride is good as long as you don't get autistic.

Same thing here lad.
Ginger Catholic joining HM Armed Forces

The level of ignorance and the sheer lack of any and all historical knowledge in this thread has pushed me over the edge. Veeky Forums is essentially just ran by btards with an unbelievably shit grasp of anything and everything historical. Fair well cunts, it's not been a good ride.

>literally genocided
????????

Cromwell, Plantations, The Famine

What exactly is Irish nationalism based on? Almost all of them speak English exclusively and are culturally and physically indistinct from Britons. How did this meme country even come to be?

Not him, but that literally applies to the USA, both now and especially at the time of the revolution. You are beyond retarded and have not presented an argument. Kys

What the fuck makes you think I'm an Amerimutt? lmao. Why are you so angry that I just asked a question?

>What exactly is Irish nationalism based on?
Race, history and cultire.
> Almost all of them speak English exclusively
That tends to happen when you have your language stamped out at every opportunity
>culturally and physically indistinct from Britons
You can easily tell the differences between a Gael and a Briton. The Irish do have distinctive culture in sports, music, art, literature, mythology etc.
Stop being a brainlet

I don't assume you're American, but you're saying that nationalism shouldn't exist in a country because it speaks the same language as another country, that doesn't make any sense at all.

no, I'm saying it shouldn't exist because no valid basis has been presented for it thus far in this thread other than "We Wuz"

As the guy above men pointed out, there are huge cultural differences between Irish and British people. Just as there are cultural differences between English and Scottish people, or Scottish and Welsh people. Speaking the one language doesn't mean that "they're culturally and physically indistinct" from one another. You legit haven't got a clue what you're talking about, hence I got annoyed, I came here for history. That was naive, I see that now.

>centuries of being pillaged and oppressed and told you are different than us, you are less human, ect...

Why wouldn't they want a separate country than people who used them as literal slaves and called them apes?

At least try, user.

based

Its so epic. The time of sissy white boi Anglos bending over down and taking the black Arab cock of Islam next to thier white sisters is almost at hand.

Angl*s - Get their chipper chips in boxes (?????????)

GAELS - Get their chipper chips in brown paper BAGS

Also separate ethnic in-groups combined with the geographical barriers that prevented absolute identity subsuming from anglicization.

How large is your middle class

>killing soldiers who don’t surrender is genocide
>putting Scottish and English people into Ireland is genocide
>the famine was deliberately engineered rather than just the population exceeding its natural means

>they hurt our feelings
This thread has already gone off topic so mentioning how Southern Ireland has a gay half paki prime minister

clearly bait.

Why are threads about Ireland created by Anglos always the absolute worst

Ireland is a reminder of their history of being not shit. Brainlet nationalists really.

You’re saying I’m bait or he’s baiting us

Fishing was illegal during the famine as was hunting

You are. Saying the famine wasn't genocide is retarded. If you actually research the subject its clear that it was at least negligence of the part of the British government. Ireland was still having grains exported during the famine and regular agitation occurred over this.

I'm not read up on the Cromwellian invasion and I'm aware of the debates ongoing about the severity of his conquests.

Its obvious the plantation wasn't genocide, more the seizure of land and importing of settlers.

>backstab your country in the biggest war it's been in since 1066
While WWI was significant, it was not the biggest war in British history prior to 1066.

I don't think you get the point of nationalism and confuse it with chauvinism.

Better than having a half Paki capital though.